Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, March 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 am I'd be surprised if kids today know anything about radio, let alone Orson Welles classics... :geek: But yes, it was an easy FJ.
Yes, saying it was Kids' Week level was facetious. I have a feeling the whole "War of the Worlds" fiasco(s) is something that is slowly becoming less common knowledge as the years go by.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 am
davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 am I'd be surprised if kids today know anything about radio, let alone Orson Welles classics... :geek: But yes, it was an easy FJ.
Yes, saying it was Kids' Week level was facetious. I have a feeling the whole "War of the Worlds" fiasco(s) is something that is slowly becoming less common knowledge as the years go by.
My favorite version of WotW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayn ... the_Worlds
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember learning about it in high school but I don’t know if that is still something that is taught.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I think it's a generational thing, but it does have quite a few ways to get the right response. The Silent Generation and Boomers should get it fairly easily, as it took place only a decade or two before their birth, at most. Gen Xers might have picked it up from their parents - personally, I have no idea where I learned of it, but it was definitely before the Tom Cruise movie. And millennials who read about their movies (or even simply read any movie reviews) probably picked it up from that same Tom Cruise movie.

The fact that there was a Tom Cruise adaptation probably helped it get into FJ!. The folks on J! love clues where you either know it, or if you don't know it, you go, "Oh, that makes sense!". Also, multi-media clues are a big hit.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:28 pm
davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 am I'd be surprised if kids today knoI w anything about radio, let alone Orson Welles classics... :geek: But yes, it was an easy FJ.
I think it's a generational thing, but it does have quite a few ways to get the right response. The Silent Generation and Boomers should get it fairly easily, as it took place only a decade or two before their birth, at most. Gen Xers might have picked it up from their parents - personally, I have no idea where I learned of it, but it was definitely before the Tom Cruise movie. And millennials who read about their movies (or even simply read any movie reviews) probably picked it up from that same Tom Cruise movie.

The fact that there was a Tom Cruise adaptation probably helped it get into FJ!. The folks on J! love clues where you either know it, or if you don't know it, you go, "Oh, that makes sense!". Also, multi-media clues are a big hit.
I've never seen it - even though I own a copy around here somewhere. Does the Tom Cruise movie mention the Orson Welles radio show? If not, not sure how it would help anybody.
Is My Weekly Reader still a thing? Probably not. I was an avid subscriber in grade school and I've been having a tingly sense today that they ran a piece on WOTW one Halloween. In any case, I was a fan of old radio from way back, so for me it may have been a Kid's Week cinch...
There's an indie horror/suspense picture that came out last year about some young people in a 50s Texas town that get wind of an alien invasion. I didn't love it but it's very stylish...Much of it takes place around a radio station with the call letters WOTW. The Vast of Night, it's called.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:28 pm The fact that there was a Tom Cruise adaptation probably helped it get into FJ!. The folks on J! love clues where you either know it, or if you don't know it, you go, "Oh, that makes sense!". Also, multi-media clues are a big hit.
I forgot that movie even existed until you mentioned it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:28 pm The fact that there was a Tom Cruise adaptation probably helped it get into FJ!. The folks on J! love clues where you either know it, or if you don't know it, you go, "Oh, that makes sense!". Also, multi-media clues are a big hit.
It's significant inasmuch as it's the movie Cruise was promoting when he jumped on Oprah Winfrey's couch.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I also thought it was odd that Justin changed categories for the $400 clue.

I rread that the hysteria was over hyped at the time. I listened to the original radio version of War of the Worlds several years ago and I cannot imagine anyone mistaking it for reality. Orson Wells provided almost all the voices.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm afraid I need help from the judges.

1. When the clue was going for petite bourgeoisie, I said Petit ( pronounced Petty).

2. When the clue was going for parabolic, I said parabola.

3. When the clue was going for cake walk, I said piece of cake.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 pm I'm afraid I need help from the judges.

1. When the clue was going for petite bourgeoisie, I said Petit ( pronounced Petty).

petit bourgeois is the expression. Laura mispronounced it.
Noun or adjective should be good for the parabolic clue.
Your third point has already been discussed in the thread.
davey

Post by davey »

Charming wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 pm I also thought it was odd that Justin changed categories for the $400 clue.

I rread that the hysteria was over hyped at the time. I listened to the original radio version of War of the Worlds several years ago and I cannot imagine anyone mistaking it for reality. Orson Wells provided almost all the voices.
That's not so. Welles is the narrator (before the "news broadcast" begins) and an astronomer within the "news." He may be heard in smaller roles, but so are 8 or 9 other actors in multiple parts.
One reason for thinking the show's effect was exaggerated: Few people were listening. It was on against Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, one of the most popular broadcasts of its day.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm
I was surprised that it was #4 on the list of highest grossing films for 2005, and #1 in movies that aren't part of franchises. (Well, if you ignore the fact that the WotW "franchise" started in 1898 with a novel.) It's weird that, for such a successful film, it didn't really make much cultural impact. In fact, I'd say Mars Attacks! feels a little more "memorable", and yet it's about 10 years older, and made 1/6 the box office as WotW.

I had no idea that Tom Cruise's jumping incident was when he was promoting that film - I knew it was the 2000s, so if I were given options of Top Gun, A Few Good Men, and The Mummy, I could eliminate all 3, but didn't know the exact film. I think it might be the most notable pop cultural fact related to the film itself, despite the fact that it did pretty well in the box office.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:53 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 pm I'm afraid I need help from the judges.

I'm not sure this is correct. Wikipedia has the article as Petite Bourgeois but it's also called Petty Bourgeois. Petit Bourgeois shows up in enough places that I think it should count. Petit and Petite are the masculine and feminine versions of the word and I don't think the clue pinned a specific one. The masculine version is pronounced like petty so I think it's a play on words and both options work.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:03 pm One reason for thinking the show's effect was exaggerated: Few people were listening. It was on against Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, one of the most popular broadcasts of its day.
Although supposedly, a lot of people flipped from the Edgar Bergen show on NBC to "War of the Worlds" on CBS when the musical guest came on -- which meant they'd missed the opening titles and the disclaimer that it was a dramatization.

But, yes, much of the newspaper reporting about people panicking was what would today be called clickbait.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:05 pm
davey wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:53 pm

I'm not sure this is correct. Wikipedia has the article as Petite Bourgeois but it's also called Petty Bourgeois. Petit Bourgeois shows up in enough places that I think it should count. Petit and Petite are the masculine and feminine versions of the word and I don't think the clue pinned a specific one. The masculine version is pronounced like petty so I think it's a play on words and both options work.
That Wikipedia article is Petite bourgeoisie, not bourgeois. The clue refers to "businessmen" and uses the word bourgeois, so since the noun is gendered, the proper adjective is petit; petite goes with bourgeoise. Maybe Laura was ungrammatical rather than mispronouncing, but of course either way it's still acceptable under J! rules. The fact that in English the modifier is often spelled petty tips off that it's usually gendered masculine...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Thanks for the extra info. I'm a bit out of my depth here. Are Petit Bourgeois and Petite Bourgeoisie completely separate terms? A search for the first one tells me it is the lower middle class. A search for the second one says it is the merchant and small business class. I'm also not totally sure how Bourgeois and Bourgeoisie are different in this context.

The clue started with "This French word for small" so for Jeopardy! purposes I think they'll accept either.
davey

Post by davey »

A bourgeois as a noun is a person - a businessman, as in the clue. A bourgeoise is a woman. Bourgeoisie is the class, and it's gendered feminine.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Could not get Welcome Back Kotter or the Make-Up brand.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Handmaid's Tale, Acadian, Baseball, Persians, (Le Havre), (Franz Joseph Haydn), Clara Wieck
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Poll request on Acadian. Coming up with that on the in the "D" MIDDLE OF THE WORD category is tough.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:00 am
Volante wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:49 am
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 pm
billiej wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:00 pm

+1 for piece of cake.
If anything, I think 'piece of cake' was the intended response. (I.e., what does a 'cakewalk' have to do with no layers or icing?)
Nah I think they wanted cakewalk but I have no objection to piece of cake as a valid alternative.
A surprisingly easy victory is known as one of these; despite the name--no layers, no icing
Referring to a victory in competition is basically the precise definition of cakewalk. Piece of cake can be anything easy, a task or a puzzle, and sure could also refer to an easy victory.
Except what does the tom of "no layers or icing" have to do with a cakewalk? That part makes more sense if the writers were trying to direct you to 'piece of cake' (which can have layers or icing) as opposed to a dance contest (...of questionable heritage). I had cakewalk myself, too, fyi
You're reading too much into what was tacked on for the sake of the category's gimmick (THE CAKE IS A LIE, i.e. words or phrases containing "cake" that are unrelated to the dessert). They emphasized in almost all the clues the non-cake-ness of each clue's subject. In fact, since "a piece of cake" has a non-idiomatic meaning that actually does involve cake, I'd say that's good enough to disqualify it as a correct response in the context of the category.
I'm far behind in my J! viewing so I'm just getting to this episode. Yes, I'll catch up eventually. :(

Did I miss it or did nobody post anything about the meaning of "The Cake is a Lie"? Anyway, the source is the video game Portal. I've never played it, but it was popular with my then-teen age sons about a decade or so ago. Portal also possibly had the best end song of any video game, "Still Alive" by Jonathon Coulton. Here's the version from the game itself, though I prefer Coulton's own version:

I think I noticed a little smile on Justin's face when he seemed to rush to the category. I suspect he was aware of the reference.