Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:08 am No clue on township and I guessed shantytown. I thought I had no idea on cube and was surprised to see my guess of hexahedron was correct. I still don't know what the game is, but in trying to follow the description of what was listed got lucky as I also considered heptahedron.
D&D (and I'm sure others fit the bill)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

mahatma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:08 am No clue on township and I guessed shantytown. I thought I had no idea on cube and was surprised to see my guess of hexahedron was correct. I still don't know what the game is, but in trying to follow the description of what was listed got lucky as I also considered heptahedron.
It's a typical set of dice for Dungeons and Dragons.
econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 am
Oh, that explains why I didn't know it. Played once during lunch in junior high and there were no dice for Advanced D&D in the Intellivision game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 am
The only time I played D&D, the dungeonmaster was a professional football player.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, just a standard set of polyhedral dice for role playing games.

A d4 (tetrahedron), d6 (cube), d8 (octahedron), d12 (dodecahedron), d20 (icosahedron), and two d10s (the ones at the top, with "kites" for faces). d10s are generally labeled with one 0-9, and the other 00-90 so that they can be thrown for percentiles.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

mahatma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 am
It's a typical set of dice for Dungeons and Dragons.
Dungeons and Dragons, eh? No clue about that, but after a bit it was obvious to me that "cube" was missing from the list of (game set items, to avoid labeling them) dice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 am
econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:16 am So, why should I have known "township "?
I'd say because Townships are important historically due to their connection with apartheid. They were created as places to move blacks so that they were "apart" from white South African settlers.
Certainly good to know and store for next time. It's just such a 'normal' word, that I probably heard it and never registered it. Heck, I used to live in Lacey Township in NJ and I know several other states use them, too.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:16 am So, why should I have known "township "?
Soweto township is pretty infamous in South African history. That’s the only way I got it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 am Yeah, just a standard set of polyhedral dice for role playing games.

A d4 (tetrahedron), d6 (cube), d8 (octahedron), d12 (dodecahedron), d20 (icosahedron), and two d10s (the ones at the top, with "kites" for faces). d10s are generally labeled with one 0-9, and the other 00-90 so that they can be thrown for percentiles.
The number of dice did throw me a little, though. When I played, the d10's didn't exist.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I think I had the knowledge of who Al LaRue was buried somewhere in my head. Looking at the question, with the last line being "main weapon that he wielded with some skill", I tried thinking of weapons you would have some skill with as a gun would be too obvious and not really take training on how to fire (hitting the target is another story).

A whip came to mind, then I thought about how Indiana Jones was based on old serials, and thought this might be the inspiration for his weapon.

Put down whip...so close.

I guess this made up for it:

I knew right away those were dice for D&D, but I was never a player. I spent some time trying to figure out how many sides of more than 20 (thank you Magic 8 Ball) would be a die used in the game.

Figuring I wouldn't come up with the name anyway, and noticing cube wasn't there, figured I'd take a chance that was the missing one.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:47 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 am Yeah, just a standard set of polyhedral dice for role playing games.

The number of dice did throw me a little, though. When I played, the d10's didn't exist.
d10s are a crutch for lazy millennials.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I got stuck trying to come up with a name for a twenty-sided shape and missed "cube" haha

I also went with "preserve", as in a wildlife preserve, and was pretty happy with that guess at the time.

mennoknight wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:39 am This is a weird season for me. I'm first in my B rundle for correct answers....and 15th in the standings. My DE is almost .700, so not horrible. Just lots of 1 point losses. Lots and lots.
I'm 17/20 in my rundle despite being tied for first in correct answers. I have a .660 DE which is 15th in my rundle.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

After going 0-8-2 in the first ten games, I managed to win two straight against two tough boardies and am now temporarily out of the relegation zone. This is the worst start I've ever had.
econgator wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 pm Certainly good to know and store for next time. It's just such a 'normal' word, that I probably heard it and never registered it. Heck, I used to live in Lacey Township in NJ and I know several other states use them, too.
My opponent yesterday lives in a North Jersey borough, and I live in that exact township. Guess who missed it and who didn't. :oops:
Ironically, NJ townships tend to be mostly white. Lacey is about 97% white (but becoming more diverse lately), whereas the smaller boroughs have much more diversity and population density.
Hoping for a third lap
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had no idea on the cube question. I’ve heard of D&D but I have never played it nor have I seen it played. I was out in El Lay after Christmas and most things were closed. We drove by the Getty about 5 times. Alas, we couldn’t go. We should’ve waited.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm A whip came to mind, then I thought about how Indiana Jones was based on old serials, and thought this might be the inspiration for his weapon.
Put down whip...so close.
I thought of bullwhip, and couldn't work it into a decent sounding nickname. I went with "Six shooter LaRue" thinking it was almost rhyme-y. My three siblings all got the right answer thanks to my Aunt Lyra's 16mm footage she forced us to watch every Christmas so we could see her encounters (stalking) of celebs of the day including Ginger and Fred, Tom Mix, and Douglas Fairbanks (I think). Good get by Bamaman, I'm sure he wasn't there for our annual snooze-fest :lol:.
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm
Figuring I wouldn't come up with the name anyway, and noticing cube wasn't there, figured I'd take a chance that was the missing one.
I looked at it as Platonic solids at first. No cube, Thorsten showed good judgment not asking for any of the others.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 am
I'd say because Townships are important historically due to their connection with apartheid. They were created as places to move blacks so that they were "apart" from white South African settlers.
Thanks for this context (and teapot37's too). I spotted Soweto and my mind said "township" just from osmosis of hearing it over many years. I didn't know it wasn't just another level of urban organization. It helped reduce the drubbing that mahatma gave on me and we were the only two to tease that one out in the JBL :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm I knew right away those were dice for D&D, but I was never a player. I spent some time trying to figure out how many sides of more than 20 (thank you Magic 8 Ball) would be a die used in the game.
Good thing it wasn't this one...
(I do not have a d100, but I do keep a d2 (
Hilarious...
a 1976 Eisenhower dollar even, cause eccentric
) with my dice for 50/50s)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm I knew right away those were dice for D&D, but I was never a player. I spent some time trying to figure out how many sides of more than 20 (thank you Magic 8 Ball) would be a die used in the game.
Good thing it wasn't this one...
(I do not have a d100, but I do keep a d2 (
Hilarious...
100 sided crossed my mind, but I didn’t know if it was real or something I just made up, and either way, didn’t know the name of it.

Glad you showed me though.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One detour I forgot to mention on the D&D Q was I had to spend a few seconds to convince myself it was in no way describing the Tetris pieces.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm (I do not have a d100, but I do keep a d2 (
Hilarious...
Yes, the old binary die!
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

71% correct leaguewide on yesterday's match. That has to be up there for highest ever, I would guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I managed a 8(4)-6(5) win yesterday. My opponent missed ib and gave me 0 for The Crown (I had no clue) and 1 for pharaoh (guessed messiah). My opponent lives in England so I figured a question referencing college football mascots wouldn’t be in their wheelhouse.