Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How has Covid-19 affected you?

I know (or think) I have or had Covid-19.
10%
I do not think I have had Covid-19.
83%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am still employed.
61%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, but am now less employed.
5%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, am now unemployed, but expect to get my job back.
2%
I was employed before the pandemic hit, and am now unemployed.
2%
I was not employed or a student before the pandemic hit.
27%
I personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
21%
I do not personally know someone who has passed away from Covid-19 related causes.
66%
I always wear a face covering in public.
79%
I sometimes wear a face covering in public.
16%
I never wear a face covering in public.
3%

Total votes: 149

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Poll on Boardies Covid-19 Impact

Post by StevenH »

Sending well-wishes Bamaman's way!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Guess this is the place to say I’ve had my cootie shots.

Hope everyone else gets theirs.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ay yay yay! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Bamaman.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm Changed my vote from not had it to have it.

I have no energy and have barely eaten since Thursday. I don’t think I ate at all Sunday. My wife tested positive and got an IV treatment today. I got a test yesterday and will have results tomorrow. I get dizzy if I get up to walk around.
I wish both of you a quick and complete recovery. Get well soon!
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I did not notice this thread until now.

Best wishes to Bamaman and his wife for a full and speedy recovery with no "long-haul" symptoms. I can well believe you're both feeling miserable, especially in this awful weather. You've got Canada-level cold and snow down there!

Mask-wearing in ON, Canada, is more the norm than in the US, but we have our fair share of COVidiots here. Infuriating. I am very lucky to work for a social-services non-profit that invested heavily in videoconferencing, remote IT services and VOIP phone over the past few years, with no motive other than more robust systems and the ability to broaden service access for our clients. The first stay-at-home order hit in mid-March, and within 2-3 days we were up and running with full services. Our work: helping people to find jobs. THAT was a bit more challenging for a while...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:04 pm Changed my vote from not had it to have it.

I have no energy and have barely eaten since Thursday. I don’t think I ate at all Sunday. My wife tested positive and got an IV treatment today. I got a test yesterday and will have results tomorrow. I get dizzy if I get up to walk around.
We are all pulling for your joint recoveries to start soon and that you have peaked at misery. Our daughter/SIL just got over it last week. It was a tough 4 days. They got their sense of taste back in about 3 days but headaches and congestion stayed longer. His breathing was difficult but his pulse oximeter never went below 98.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm Mask-wearing in ON, Canada, is more the norm than in the US, but we have our fair share of COVidiots here.
It's highly dependent on where you live in the US. Here in Seattle, and I believe on the West Coast in general, mask usage is very high. You will not see people inside stores no complying. Even outdoors in areas with lots of people nearly everyone will be wearing a mask. It was a stark contrast when I was in Montana last October. I noticed immediately that most people weren't even wearing masks inside a grocery store that I went into.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm Mask-wearing in ON, Canada, is more the norm than in the US, but we have our fair share of COVidiots here.
It's highly dependent on where you live in the US. Here in Seattle, and I believe on the West Coast in general, mask usage is very high. You will not see people inside stores no complying. Even outdoors in areas with lots of people nearly everyone will be wearing a mask. It was a stark contrast when I was in Montana last October. I noticed immediately that most people weren't even wearing masks inside a grocery store that I went into.
Not sure there is rhyme or reason to it. I live in Brevard County, which is largely a Republican county, but if you walk into a Walmart, 99% of the people will be wearing mask and 97% of those will be wearing them properly.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 pm
Not sure there is rhyme or reason to it. I live in Brevard County, which is largely a Republican county, but if you walk into a Walmart, 99% of the people will be wearing mask and 97% of those will be wearing them properly.
I'm glad to hear that; it seems like people are finally coming around.

I spent a couple months in Nova Scotia toward the end of last year. There, EVERYBODY I saw follows EVERY rule, even the ones that are nigh on impossible to enforce (gatherings in private homes, etc). I invite every boardie to take a look at their provincial COVID case numbers if you want to see what happens when people work together to stop the spread, rather than acting like being asked to endure a few minor inconveniences is a human rights violation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well, we are now COVID survivors. I went back to work yesterday (an overnight shift) and got through it. My wife also went back to her job. She drives a school bus so she was worried about being alert for that but she made it fine.

Luckily, we never had breathing issues. Just no energy. Neither of us ate the first few days and were sleeping 12-14 hours a day. We did go out and do stuff this weekend for the first time since we got sick. I did get tired a few times at work last night but I survived. Today I have to drive two hours for work Wednesday. Whew.

I am still not feeling 100% but glad to go to work. Being at home 24/7 for two weeks drove me crazy. Thanks to everyone for their concerns and comments.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 am Well, we are now COVID survivors. I went back to work yesterday (an overnight shift) and got through it. My wife also went back to her job. She drives a school bus so she was worried about being alert for that but she made it fine.

Luckily, we never had breathing issues. Just no energy. Neither of us ate the first few days and were sleeping 12-14 hours a day. We did go out and do stuff this weekend for the first time since we got sick. I did get tired a few times at work last night but I survived. Today I have to drive two hours for work Wednesday. Whew.

I am still not feeling 100% but glad to go to work. Being at home 24/7 for two weeks drove me crazy. Thanks to everyone for their concerns and comments.
That is good news!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got my first shot today. Pfizer is finally offering the vaccine to employees.
clprez

Post by clprez »

This article indicates that nearly one in every five people in the US has lost someone close in the pandemic.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-norc-poll ... d487ba65a9
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I'm very glad to hear this, Bamaman. I really hope neither of you has long-term problems from this.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 am Well, we are now COVID survivors. I went back to work yesterday (an overnight shift) and got through it. My wife also went back to her job. She drives a school bus so she was worried about being alert for that but she made it fine.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:21 pm I'm very glad to hear this, Bamaman. I really hope neither of you has long-term problems from this.

Thank you. Still feel tired a lot but doing fine otherwise. I am lucky it wasn’t serious. A high school friend’s younger sister is seriously ill due to the virus.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Above, Cailin mentioned the term "long-haul" symptoms. I'm seeing more and more in the news about COVID long-haulers, e.g., people who survived COVID but who have been told by their doctors that they have to be on oxygen for the rest of their lives, or for whom chronic fatigue symptoms have not subsided even weeks or months after they test negative for the coronavirus.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:26 pm Above, Cailin mentioned the term "long-haul" symptoms. I'm seeing more and more in the news about COVID long-haulers, e.g., people who survived COVID but who have been told by their doctors that they have to be on oxygen for the rest of their lives, or for whom chronic fatigue symptoms have not subsided even weeks or months after they test negative for the coronavirus.
There's been talk in the media about long-haulers or long COVID since last autumn. Chris Cuomo covers it regularly; he has mild continuing symptoms himself and has interviewed medics and patients about it. The Guardian has had coverage as well. Interestingly, I have seen a few posts on Twitter from people saying that a few weeks after getting vaccinated their symptoms disappeared. I haven't seen any serious coverage of that, but it would be fantastic news if it really was a side-effect of the vaccine .