New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Ivoryface86 »

And Stephen Bradshaw went on to win another episode with a $12,100 win before he was dethroned by Eugene Finerman in his 3rd episode so as we said, this episode is Show #644.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Eugene confirms his tape date was January 25, 1987 (he actually said 1897, but knowing Eugene, that could be a joke as much as it could be a typo) and aired June 1-5, and that he beat Stephen in Stephen's third game. That would make Eugene's games #646 through #650, and this game #644 (May 28, 1987).
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

So it is May 28, 1987. Thanks Robert. I’ll have the episode on the IA later tonight.

Here it is:

https://archive.org/details/jeopardy-05-28-1987
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Here's January 24, 1991. The first 11 clues are missing in the archive.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Those 11 clues are now in. Can anyone make out what Alex says at 7:32? "But where, at a university, or at the ____?" (Fill in the blank with a place where an astronomer would work.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 pm Those 11 clues are now in. Can anyone make out what Alex says at 7:32? "But where, at a university, or at the ____?" (Fill in the blank with a place where an astronomer would work.)
Observatory is what I hear.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think you're right, although I had been discounting that possibility because James says the word "observatory" just before Alex does and my brain didn't want to have Alex repeating what James already said.

EDIT: What's James's last word (after "hire people")?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

binghamton broadcasters has posted two partial episodes from June 2, 1987 (Eugene Finerman game 2) and July 20, 1987 on YouTube:

Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:08 pm binghamton broadcasters has posted two partial episodes from June 2, 1987 (Eugene Finerman game 2) and July 20, 1987 on YouTube:

Say, Jeff, I wasn't sure if the 2nd partial episode is from #681 or #683.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Eugene's game is cut off during the DJ category reveals, but the cards are visible before that: THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, BODIES OF WATER, AMERICAN INDIANS, TEXTILES, DINOSAURS, and WOMEN IN SPORTS.

The next show starts during the J! category reveals, and FLAGS for $200 and $300, as well as the response for $100 get cut out. But Joe's score before beginning FLAGS is $200 and he's shown having $800 (with the other scores unchanged) as he rings in on the $400 clue, so he had to have gotten those three clues.

The contestants' names, from the interviews:
Kathie Hight (Hite? Heit?), an attorney from Washington, DC (Alex calls her Mary Kathleen)
Joe Baldanza, who auditioned in Boston, ran for Tip O'Neill's seat in Congress a year and a half earlier (lost in the primary)
Jesse Green, originally from Philadelphia, lives in New York City, once a musical supervisor on Broadway (any indication of how many games or how much money Jesse won is cut off)

edit: I've confirmed the spelling of Jesse Green's last name; he's now the chief theater critic for the New York Times. I've also confirmed the spelling of Joe Baldanza's last name (though I wasn't ambiguous on it in the first place), both with a Colgate University article about their quiz bowl teams (that has a picture of Joe with his team in 1969 and mentions his 1987 J! appearance) and a record of the congressional primary he lost. Unfortunately the radio and TV writer Kathleen Hite is getting in the way of my searches for Kathie.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^I know Jesse won just that one game the Friday before, but I don't know how much he won.
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 pm Eugene's game is cut off during the DJ category reveals, but the cards are visible before that: THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, BODIES OF WATER, AMERICAN INDIANS, TEXTILES, DINOSAURS, and WOMEN IN SPORTS.

The next show starts during the J! category reveals, and FLAGS for $200 and $300, as well as the response for $100 get cut out. But Joe's score before beginning FLAGS is $200 and he's shown having $800 (with the other scores unchanged) as he rings in on the $400 clue, so he had to have gotten those three clues.

Kathie Hight (Hite? Heit?), an attorney from Washington, DC (Alex calls her Mary Kathleen)
Joe Baldanza, who auditioned in Boston, ran for Tip O'Neill's seat in Congress a year and a half earlier (lost in the primary)
Jesse Green, originally from Philadelphia, lives in New York City, once a musical supervisor on Broadway (any indication of how many games or how much money Jesse won is cut off)

edit: I've confirmed the spelling of Jesse Green's last name; he's now the chief theater critic for the New York Times. I've also confirmed the spelling of Joe Baldanza's last name (though I wasn't ambiguous on it in the first place), both with a Colgate University article about their quiz bowl teams (that has a picture of Joe with his team in 1969 and mentions his 1987 J! appearance) and a record of the congressional primary he lost. Unfortunately the radio and TV writer Kathleen Hite is getting in the way of my searches for Kathie.
that answers my question, :) I believe all 6 of the dj categories for eugene's game are already in the archive.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I've put up the first round of Eugene Finerman game 2.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6970
Lest anyone be tempted, please do not attempt to add the Double Jeopardy! Round, even though we may know what the categories are.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:48 pm I've put up the first round of Eugene Finerman game 2.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6970
Lest anyone be tempted, please do not attempt to add the Double Jeopardy! Round, even though we may know what the categories are.
You put it in as 1986 instead of 1987.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 pm Eugene's game is cut off during the DJ category reveals, but the cards are visible before that: THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, BODIES OF WATER, AMERICAN INDIANS, TEXTILES, DINOSAURS, and WOMEN IN SPORTS.

Shouldn’t be that hard. There can’t be that many lawyers in Washington DC.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:49 pm You put it in as 1986 instead of 1987.
Thanks, fixed.

I loved Eugene's contestant interview, which got about as big a natural laugh from the audience as I've ever heard.
Alex: Eugene "Fine"--Finerman, from Chicago, professional writer, and also Jeopardy! champion, and Eugene has some Chinese pugs?

Eugene: Yes.

Alex: Those are the little palomino-colored dogs with the smashed-in faces?

Eugene: Well, they--I, um--they're born that way. I didn't do it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:13 am I loved Eugene's contestant interview, which got about as big a natural laugh from the audience as I've ever heard.
Alex: Eugene "Fine"--Finerman, from Chicago, professional writer, and also Jeopardy! champion, and Eugene has some Chinese pugs?

Eugene: Yes.

Alex: Those are the little palomino-colored dogs with the smashed-in faces?

Eugene: Well, they--I, um--they're born that way. I didn't do it.
Yes, knowing that it was Eugene and that it was a partial game, I was hoping we'd get to see the interview, and in both its presence and content, I wasn't disappointed.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A pair of video podcasts featuring Season 5 and 6 player Kathy Fuller. Of particular interest is part 2, in which she details her protest of a dicey FJ clue.

Game 1 has a lot of Alex chat which wasn't transcribed into the Archive. This might explain the 3 unseen clues in the J! round.

I also removed the notation for Tom Berg's player page that said his last name may not be correct. It's Berg for sure. (Based on the file name of the player pic, I'm guessing we had Byrd at some point.)
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Here's Eugene Finerman's 5th game that's not in the archive.

Airdate should be June 5th, 1987.