Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Bamaman »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:18 am I guess I forgot how to defend in any form. I'm in 1st in B Taiga for TCA... and I'm in the relegation zone.
You also lead in correct answers allowed (a stat similar to free throw defense in basketball) so that doesn’t help.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

do they maintain that "unluckiest" thing still? I feel like I could be there. It's been that kind of a year.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mennoknight wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:46 am do they maintain that "unluckiest" thing still? I feel like I could be there. It's been that kind of a year.
Someone on there maintains a list of luckiest/unluckiest but I don’t know what all goes into the algorithm that determines it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got lucky with a 4(3)-4(4) tie yesterday. I thought I might end up with a 0(0), though I was pretty confident on Bob Hope. Then I wasn't sure if the Danube question could be as simple as "name the river that flows through Vienna," but I had no other guess. Then I made a lucky guess on Annie. I also had "fruit" under consideration but for some reason went with "football," though my opponent gave me a 0 for that one.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And I thought I was so clever coming up with 'tinytunes' for "small type notes in musical notation"...after excluding anything with a variation of 'note' in it because -it's in the clue twice!-
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 am Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft was an organization (perhaps apocryphal) that existed (or not) in pre-WWI Vienna, Austria, involved in the transportation of cargo and passengers on what river?

I didn't recognize it, and because of the part stating it may not have existed, I thought it might be from some book or comic book, figured the answer wasn't going to be a real river, went with Styx.
StevenH wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:38 am I got lucky with a 4(3)-4(4) tie yesterday. I thought I might end up with a 0(0), though I was pretty confident on Bob Hope. Then I wasn't sure if the Danube question could be as simple as "name the river that flows through Vienna," but I had no other guess. Then I made a lucky guess on Annie. I also had "fruit" under consideration but for some reason went with "football," though my opponent gave me a 0 for that one.
I had a similar worry to StevenH, but then thought that 'Donaud' at the beginning of the word might be a German version of 'Danube'. Turns out it's 'Donau'. German is nothing if not direct.

ETA: And congratulations, twelvefootboy, for dumping a beer on my head. 'You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown,' sheesh...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I took a tie yesterday, 6(5)-6(5), and that dropped me from 2nd to 4th in my rundle. Both of us missed Gracenote.

We've got a real barn-burner going in A Fjord. First place has 30 points, three of us have 29, and two more have 28. Of those six, I currently have the second to lowest MPD, so I'm probably going to need some wins to finish in the championship qualifying zone.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:47 am Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft was an organization (perhaps apocryphal) that existed (or not) in pre-WWI Vienna, Austria, involved in the transportation of cargo and passengers on what river?
I recognized it from Strauss’s “An der schönen, blauen Donau”

Gracenote was familiar to me from ripping all those CDs to iTunes pre-streaming
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I didn't recognize it, and because of the part stating it may not have existed, I thought it might be from some book or comic book, figured the answer wasn't going to be a real river, went with Styx.
Good lord. Name a river in Vienna. Some people really do work hard to avoid getting right answers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Good lord. Name a river in Vienna. Some people really do work hard to avoid getting right answers.
I'll admit the two parenthetical statements gave me pause, but not enough that I was willing to not just go with the major river that flows through Vienna. I figured if it was something else I wasn't going to get it, anyway.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:30 pm

other people work hard to look for an opportunity to take an unprovoked jab at someone just to be a (insert word I'm not going to type here).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:41 pm I'll admit the two parenthetical statements gave me pause, but not enough that I was willing to not just go with the major river that flows through Vienna. I figured if it was something else I wasn't going to get it, anyway.
Exactly.

Initially I thought: Europe, pre-WWI....maybe something to do with Africa, colonialism.... But Austria? No, you're overthinking this. Most probably Thorsten came across this obscure (if even real) organization with an unfathomably long name that he just had to get into a question and all the rest is just filler. I suppose those who knew that Donau is the German name for Danube -- I didn't -- would have recognized the "clue".

Austria. River. Danube. Period. Give it a zero to an opponent with an 87% lifetime in Geography.... and 86% in language, so he might have also seen something in the name.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mahatma wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 am ETA: And congratulations, twelvefootboy, for dumping a beer on my head. 'You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown,' sheesh...
Thank you for your perfect timing of showing up on my first ever beer :!: It was a perfect set for me with only the Danube being in doubt until the reveal. Then my answer of "grace" was in doubt all night but it was accepted. The clue wording is somewhat ambiguous and I think TI had to accept the musical moniker even though he asked for the "name" and not the "term".
CLASS MUSIC - A leading metadata company owned by Nielsen, which originally provided CD information, takes its current name from a term used for ornamental notes printed in small type in musical notation. What is that name?
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:32 am I apologize to the JBL for preventing perfection on Starburst and Dominion.
I thought we all agreed that Spartacus did that! You made it up by dinging the Varsity guys, now we finished ahead of the Jacksonville Jaguars :)
I own the Olivia-Newton John goathorns. And Dominion is just a name that sticks with me from the Spanish Domingo for Sunday.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Given that your last name appears early in that ridiculousGermanmegawordsalad, will you post in the Personal Connection to Question thread?
In and out of the pool four times
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I got two points for the Hot Brown question. I fully expected to get a 0 for that. (I prefer it without tomatoes, though.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

reddpen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:50 am

Given that your last name appears early in that ridiculousGermanmegawordsalad, will you post in the Personal Connection to Question thread?
Considering I didn't know the answer, should I really? With this last name, I never posted about a personal connection to a question regarding Judaism (I'm not Jewish, but love getting 0s from my opponents on every question on this topic because of my last name).

When I saw the question, I knew my choices were to either pick a real river or a fictional one. Considering I'm in D Rundle, with a lifetime get rate on Geography of .351, only a schmuck (maybe I am Jewish) would think it is in any way unrealistic for me to take a stab at the fictional river, when it is well-known Thorsten crafts his questions carefully while not wasting any words; and the likelihood of me picking the correct river isn't exactly high.

I thought about Danube, Rhine, and Rhone in whatever order I thought of them, no telling which one I would've chosen.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:28 am I got two points for the Hot Brown question. I fully expected to get a 0 for that. (I prefer it without tomatoes, though.)
I spent most of the day thinking "Louisiana" instead of "Louisville", and eventually needed a quick replacement for alligator. Seeing no real entry, I was on the verge of picking turkey as not quite so generic as beef or chicken without being too far out. BUT, suddenly both Kentucky and Brown('s) made me think of fried chicken. I neither expected nor was assigned zero, alas.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:28 am I got two points for the Hot Brown question. I fully expected to get a 0 for that. (I prefer it without tomatoes, though.)
With UofL referenced right below my name in the profile, I was surprised to get a point for this one (in my regular rundle; got 0 in JBL, which has been playing tougher than A Fjord the past few days). I prefer my Hot Browns either immediately before, or immediately after, a week-long fast.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 am
I spent most of the day thinking "Louisiana" instead of "Louisville", and eventually needed a quick replacement for alligator. Seeing no real entry, I was on the verge of picking turkey as not quite so generic as beef or chicken without being too far out. BUT, suddenly both Kentucky and Brown('s) made me think of fried chicken. I neither expected nor was assigned zero, alas.
I can relate to the Louisiana/Louisville brain fog. I mixed it up with the Peabody Hotel in Memphis which is famous for ducks that march to a fountain and a big ceremony. That's the only antebellum (possibly) type hotel I ever heard of. I decided I couldn't possibly pick the right meat so decided to go for the BWA and screwed that up on two levels. So I answered "duck", but should have at least said "ducks that can't march" or something.

I changed Ella Fitzgerald to Billie Holiday because I thought she was maybe more of a celebrity that might have a "First Lady of Song" honorific nickname.

I am locked into the promotion zone for a return back to D, while two of my sibs will probably drop back into E through the revolving door and elder sis is safe from demotion.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

THAT'S why that name sounded familiar!

J! Monday: 20th CENTURY ART & ARTISTS - This city's Millennium Park is home to Anish Kapoor's "Cloud Gate", also known as the Bean
LL Tuesday: Malcolm Morley, Anish Kapoor, Gillian Wearing, Helen Marten, and Charlotte Prodger are among the winners of what annual prize, named after an Englishman who died in 1851?

Over here yesterday going, Booker is for authors and that list doesn't parse as a list of authors...that parses as artists. What's that oddball art one? Ahh, right, Turner.

Thank you everyone avoiding Dr. Oz for the free points. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)