New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Also, in the December 5, 2008 episode, I wonder what photo in the Norman Rockwell painting is shown cause whoever put this episode together originally didn't put together the proper media files in. Did the media files(and even the player profile photos) for that episode even work at all before the site was revised in 2017? Also, the entire BAEAUX TAPESTRY category media links from the December 18, 2008 episode needs to be put in real soon. Again, the person who put that episode together originally didn't get the media links to work, these episodes did appear on GSN at some point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:26 amthe site was revised in 2017
Not sure what you're referring to here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 am Say MarkBarrett, in the DJ! part of the November 28, 2008 episode, whoever put the 2nd Daily Double at clue 21 should be switched to clue 20 and the $400 answer in PRETZEL LOGIC should be clue 21. Can you fix that?
Fixed.

Image stuff is not my area.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Moving on to the next India tape, we have Wednesday, December 11, 1991, Eric Goldner vs. Gail Bullion vs. Glenn Gillis.

GOLDner. Bullion. I see what they did there.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6954

I honestly expected Glenn to get a reversal on ARCHAEOLOGY for $300
A shard is a broken piece of this
Spoiler
Pottery (and glass) are both fine, but I think bone is acceptable too.
You Gotta Know... these cousins of Jerry Lee Lewis:

a) the country singer (a clue in this game)
b) the TV evangelist
c) his 13-year-old child bride
Spoiler
a) Mickey Gilley, b) Jimmy Swaggart c) Myra Brown
GARDENING for $1000 has 1 other hit in the Archive, but we welcome it to the J-Canon as a response:
Flowers like the larkspur that hold their shape & color when dried are termed this
Spoiler
What are immortelles? (Or everlasting flowers)
Alex gives it a proper French accent, but M-W lists it as plain ol' English, so no italics.

Clue of the game will be DUBLIN for $1000, a Thing Worth Knowing that I did not.
In the 1920s it became the 1st state-subsidized theatre in an English-speaking country
Spoiler
What is the Abbey Theatre? (Irish + Theatre = Abbey)
An interesting footnote for FJ! The onscreen Chyron was slightly different than the clue that appeared on the monitor, probably to be able to fit the whole thing on the bottom half of the screen:

Also, the tape cuts off just as Glenn's response is about to be revealed. I'm pretty sure the correct response is
Spoiler
What is Kirov?
. Also, I have the next game, so I know Glenn got it right, if not what exactly he wrote down.

On to the next game. Have a sunny afternoon.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I don't usually bother with contestant photos, but this freeze frame was too good not to share.
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm I honestly expected Glenn to get a reversal on ARCHAEOLOGY for $300
A shard is a broken piece of this
Spoiler
Pottery (and glass) are both fine, but I think bone is acceptable too.
I would have thought so too, but most all definitions I see mention only pottery, glass, and stone.
Also, the tape cuts off just as Glenn's response is about to be revealed. I'm pretty sure the correct response is
Spoiler
What is Kirov?
. Also, I have the next game, so I know Glenn got it right, if not what exactly he wrote down.

On to the next game. Have a sunny afternoon.
That's what it was then. In 1992, it changed names.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"'Is named for him"? Oh, the theatre is for opera and ballet. Got it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm Moving on to the next India tape, we have Wednesday, December 11, 1991, Eric Goldner vs. Gail Bullion vs. Glenn Gillis.
A few small corrections/comments:
I assume GRIMM'S FAIRY TALES $400 isn't supposed to have that period at the end.
Was dendrochronology hyphenated, or split between two lines with a dash? If the latter, I'm not sure how it ought to be rendered in the Archive.
In ARCHAEOLOGY $400, "Moai" is rendered "Moal."
The former Surgeon General's surname in the response for PEOPLE $600 should be spelled with a K, not a C.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:56 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:37 pm Moving on to the next India tape, we have Wednesday, December 11, 1991, Eric Goldner vs. Gail Bullion vs. Glenn Gillis.
A few small corrections/comments:
I assume GRIMM'S FAIRY TALES $400 isn't supposed to have that period at the end.
Was dendrochronology hyphenated, or split between two lines with a dash? If the latter, I'm not sure how it ought to be rendered in the Archive.
In ARCHAEOLOGY $400, "Moai" is rendered "Moal."
The former Surgeon General's surname in the response for PEOPLE $600 should be spelled with a K, not a C.
Got 'em.

Dendro-
chronology was split between two lines. I added the hard return, since the hyphen was present in the actual clue.

I checked and changed the rest. Thx.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm Dendro-
chronology was split between two lines. I added the hard return, since the hyphen was present in the actual clue.
This is a case where we would alter the clue as displayed. Search is thwarted if we don't present words as the words they are intended to be.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

...and the 1995 Teen Tournament is complete.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6988

This appears to be a full-credits show.

It's also the sole appearance of the third, previously missing Shen sibling, Gwen Shen. I wonder if she keeps up with the piano these days.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:53 pm ...and the 1995 Teen Tournament is complete.

It's also the sole appearance of the third, previously missing Shen sibling, Gwen Shen. I wonder if she keeps up with the piano these days.
Boy, I'd like to see that FJ in the weekly poll. No idea, but Colleges and Universities is a personal weak spot.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:53 pm ...and the 1995 Teen Tournament is complete.

My corrections:
HISTORIC NAMES $300: the wrong consonant is doubled in the Hun's name.
POP MUSIC $100: I think the band's name is always rendered with three periods (distributed, of course, not an ellipsis).
19th CENTURY MUSIC $1,000: The vowels in the correct response should be a, i, a, i.
HODGEPODGE $800: I assume Chris didn't misspeak and have it accepted; the hall is named for the noun, not the adjective.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Gets us down to eight missing tournament games plus five partials.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2136&p=332939#p332939
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:15 pm Boy, I'd like to see that FJ in the weekly poll. No idea, but Colleges and Universities is a personal weak spot.
It was a gimme for me, but I don't know much about the college and wouldn't have gotten it if the clue didn't include "oceanographic institute". Add that and it becomes Pavlovian for me; the only thing that would have made it easier would have been mention of the spelling bee. Jeopardy! used to air (1984-2012) on a [*] station in my market. Their station identification bumper shows some CGI ocean waves and a lighthouse, along with the motto "Give light and the people will find their own way".

Thanks, Sg, for the corrections.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I managed to get that FJ. Oceanographic Institute was more helpful. I live less than 5 miles away from the college.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm=
It was a gimme for me, but I don't know much about the college and wouldn't have gotten it if the clue didn't include "oceanographic institute".
The only oceanographic institute I know is Woods Hole and I was pretty sure that wasn't it. I followed two of the contestants with Hearst (although I was pretty sure that wasn't it, either).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:03 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm=
It was a gimme for me, but I don't know much about the college and wouldn't have gotten it if the clue didn't include "oceanographic institute".
The only oceanographic institute I know is Woods Hole and I was pretty sure that wasn't it. I followed two of the contestants with Hearst (although I was pretty sure that wasn't it, either).
I considered both wrong responses and went with what you did as it seemed more likely to me, although I didn’t have high hopes it was right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kablamfan11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:24 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:56 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm KTRK-TV interviewed Doug Miller yesterday. He was a 3 day champ back in the 1st season. Does anyone know the specific airdates that he was on:
The champ in his game we saw was named Bruce. Bruce Rhodewait won a game on April 19, 1985. The only other S1 Bruce currently listed is Bruce Fauman, but he was a five time champion, so it isn’t him.
So, I do believe it was 4/22/85, 4/23/85, 4/24/85 & 4/25/85 if I'm right. I could be wrong though.
Doug posted in the J! players FB group that he taped 1/8/85 and aired 4/25 - 4/28/85. Perhaps the tape date is correct though the airing span has to be incorrect with 4/27 & 4/28 the weekend.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am
kablamfan11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:24 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:56 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:44 pm KTRK-TV interviewed Doug Miller yesterday. He was a 3 day champ back in the 1st season. Does anyone know the specific airdates that he was on:
The champ in his game we saw was named Bruce. Bruce Rhodewait won a game on April 19, 1985. The only other S1 Bruce currently listed is Bruce Fauman, but he was a five time champion, so it isn’t him.
So, I do believe it was 4/22/85, 4/23/85, 4/24/85 & 4/25/85 if I'm right. I could be wrong though.
Doug posted in the J! players FB group that he taped 1/8/85 and aired 4/25 - 4/28/85. Perhaps the tape date is correct though the airing span has to be incorrect with 4/27 & 4/28 the weekend.
Well, at least he acknowledges a single taping and being on four days in a row (i.e. presumably uninterrupted by a weekend), which makes 4/22-25 plausible.

Edit: In November he posted a picture of himself with Alex on the set, which is unusual for a contestant from the early years. A couple people asked about it, and he said that it was taken with his own camera by a friend, "after we'd finished taping the last show of the day." That "we" makes me think his fourth game was a Friday.