FJs for the 3/29/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/29/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Horrified by the 1964 movie musical from her work, she okayed a U.K. stage version as long as "no Americans" were involved
51%
While performing in Philadelphia, the future father of this man sent a letter threatening to slit Andrew Jackson's throat
83%
After 9/11, designer Milton Glaser modified this iconic logo of his, adding a bruise & the words "More Than Ever"
48%
A real-life antidisestablishmentarian, William Bridgeman opposed the 1920 disestablishment of this in Wales
48%
In 1960 the ashes of this aviator were spread over the Venezuela natural wonder he famously sighted decades earlier  
74%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
WORD "OR"IGINS $2000: A branch of study, it first appeared in an 18th century work by a British bird lover
93%
INTERNAL RHYME SURNAMES $2000: In 1989 after 3 terms as New Hampshire's governor, he became George H.W. Bush's Chief of Staff
66%
TV & FILM $1000: Sergei Eisenstein directed the 1925 Russian silent film about this title battleship & its revolting crew
83%
For the Monday FJ! clue I got as far as Mary Poppins, but did not know (or recall) the author's name.
16%
Seeing the movie Saving Mr. Banks helped me solve the Monday FJ! clue.
23%
Even though I have seen the movie Saving Mr. Banks, I still missed the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
Agatha Christie was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
12%
AT THE MOVIES $1600: As of 2021 the last film appearance of this movie "Angel" was in a 2014 version of "Annie" - I was correct with Cameron Diaz.
8%
AT THE MOVIES $1600: As of 2021 the last film appearance of this movie "Angel" was in a 2014 version of "Annie" - The "Angel" hint did nothing to help me solve the clue.
69%
I Love New York (NY) was my correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I Heart (♥) New York (NY) was my correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
37%
I am certain I have seen the bruise/"More Than Ever" version of the NY logo prior to the FJ! clue.
6%
I have no recognition of ever seeing the bruise/"More Than Ever" version of the NY logo.
79%
I have seen/heard the word "antidisestablishmentarian"(ism) prior to Thursday, yet never learned its definition.
43%
Angel Falls being named after an aviator was news to me.
50%
Prior to the Friday FJ! clue I was aware Angel Falls were named after a real life aviator (James) Angel.
43%

Total votes: 90

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/29/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS: BOOK TO SCREEN

3/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Horrified by the 1964 movie musical from her work, she okayed a U.K. stage version as long as "no Americans" were involved

3/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

3/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While performing in Philadelphia, the future father of this man sent a letter threatening to slit Andrew Jackson's throat

3/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LOGOS

3/31 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After 9/11, designer Milton Glaser modified this iconic logo of his, adding a bruise & the words "More Than Ever"

4/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

4/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A real-life antidisestablishmentarian, William Bridgeman opposed the 1920 disestablishment of this in Wales

4/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EPONYMOUS LANDMARKS

4/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1960 the ashes of this aviator were spread over the Venezuela natural wonder he famously sighted decades earlier

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(P.L.) Travers
(John Wilkes) Booth
I Heart New York (I Love New York)
church
(James) Angel
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 2-2-0-0-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have three correct by the players with the middle option requested.

WORD "OR"IGINS $2000: A branch of study, it first appeared in an 18th century work by a British bird lover

INTERNAL RHYME SURNAMES $2000: In 1989 after 3 terms as New Hampshire's governor, he became George H.W. Bush's Chief of Staff

TV & FILM $1000: Sergei Eisenstein directed the 1925 Russian silent film about this title battleship & its revolting crew

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
ornithology
Sununu
Battleship Potemkin

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/29/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Agatha Christie
PT Barnum
United Airlines
Parliament

Saw Saving Mr. Banks, not that it helped me
Did not get that Surname category and clammed on Sununu and Bernini
No recognition for that updated NY logo
Busted for not knowing the definition of that long word I heard in grade school
Thanks to game shows I knew Angel was a real aviator
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guessed Farrah Fawcett instead of Cameron Diaz, but my mind was thinking she must have died well before 2014 (and, of course, they wouldn't have needed the "as of 2021" qualifier). There's no way I'd think of the newer "Charlie's Angels" first.

I know I've looked up antidisetablishmentarianism before, but I guess it didn't stick.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew immediately Monday was Mary Poppins, was lucky to dredge up the author’s name. Have not seen the Banks movie

No idea on Cameron Diaz, was shocked she hasn’t acted in so long

Eventually remembered the NY slogan addition, don’t remember the bruise.

Knew the falls were named for a person, but would have gotten the answer anyway, as the only famous geographic feature I know of in Venezuela.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is pretty much no chance a 21st-century movie will ever help me solve a Jeopardy! clue.

Never seen the bruised logo.

Knew exactly what antidisestablishmentarianism meant.

Knew Angel Falls was named after an aviator.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I haven't seen Saving Mr. Banks. I was a little surprised I was able to pull out Travers' name, but I did.
I got the Cameron Diaz clue, with the "Angel" hint being helpful.
I would have written
I♥
NY
Was unaware of the existence of the "more than ever" version until the clue.
I knew enough about what antidisestablishmentarianism is to get the clue correct.
I never heard of James Angel aside from indirectly via Angel Falls.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(

I know there is someone named Cameron Diaz, but couldn't tell you thing one about her.

I *bruise* NY was unfamiliar.

Knew "antidisestablishmentarianism" was a word, but not its definition.

Didn't know Angel Falls were named for a person.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got as far as Mary Poppins, don't remember the bruised version of I<3NY, had only the vaguest hints of the epic word's meaning.
The Charlie's Angels clue was useless. Thought Angel Falls was named based on religion.
davey

Post by davey »

I found Friday's the hardest of the week, since I l nearly let myself forget the category and I never knew it was eponymous...But WECIB?
I knew antidisestablishmentarianism was about the C of E, and it seems that was more than necessary, if "church" was the expected response,.. :roll:
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Spent most of Friday's thinking time trying to think of an aviator who would have spotted Angel Falls, as I was sure that the falls must have been named for the celestial being.

My thought process on Monday: "Ah, the author of Mary Poppins. J.M. Barrie. That was a nice, quick one."

Yeah.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I♥NY would have been my response. I don't think I saw the updated one before it was posted in the game thread.

I think I had memorized Mary Poppins -> P.L. Travers already, but Saving Mr. Banks helped me to know her distaste with the Disney movie (and the world in general) and I don't think I would have gotten Travers without having seen it.

I didn't get Sununu, and I question the J! writers' terming of repeated syllables as internal rhymes (although that didn't prevent me from getting Tutu on another clue).

I knew Jimmy Angel was (is) the namesake of Angel Falls.

I didn't get Cameron Diaz—does that mean I check the "Angel didn't help me" option, or is that only for people who got it right off just the Annie/last role thus far info?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:33 pm

I didn't get Cameron Diaz—does that mean I check the "Angel didn't help me" option, or is that only for people who got it right off just the Annie/last role thus far info?
Checking the Diaz box can be like I did (and for you as well) in being stumped and the "Angel" hint doing nothing to help or it could also be for the other parts of the clue enough for solving it.

For any option, any week, make your best decision and it's all for fun anyway. If something comes up in comments to warrant checking or unchecking a box the option is always there to adjust your votes.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I found this week's set a higher grade of FJ than last week's offerings.

Couldn't pull Travers. I have seen Dick van Dyke's cockney popularly cited as the worst-ever cinematic English accent.

Wrote "I ❤ NY" minus the color. Didn't remember the revised version, but it wasn't nearly necessary. I do live there.

I knew the provenance of "Angel Falls", or I might have been irked by the "famously". Seems like rubbing it into those who didn't know.

I once wrote a clue referencing antidisestablishmentarianism. I must have looked it up, because I don't think we were taught the meaning when they showed us the word in school. If only they had worked "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" into Monday's clue.

I thought of Jessica Alba, not Cameron Diaz, though I think I'd have laid off.

The minor GHWB-era scandal over his Staff Chief's stamp collecting trips inspired the palindrome "Wonder if Sununu's fired now?"
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue - Van Buren at the 27th second trying for the funny
Wed - I ♡ NY

While I have seen Saving Mr Banks, I would have gotten Monday's before
"Angel" was no help on the "Annie" clue; have not seen the remake

I can't say with certainty if I have seen the bruised logo, but nor can I say with certainty that I have never seen it...

Did know prior to Friday that Angel Falls was named for one Mr. Angel, pilot.

Edit: somehow I missed this option: I was familiar with anti[...]ism, at least enough that I knew it involved the CofE.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've always liked wiki's breakdown of the word:

Construction of the word
The word construction is as follows (succeeded by the number of letters in the word):

establish (9)
to set up, put in place, or institute (originally from the Latin stare, to stand)

dis-establish (12)
to end the established status of a body, in particular a church, given such status by law, such as the Church of England

disestablish-ment (16)
the separation of church and state (specifically in this context it is the political movement of the 1860s in Britain)

anti-disestablishment (20)
opposition to disestablishment

antidisestablishment-ary (23)
of or pertaining to opposition to disestablishment

antidisestablishmentar(y)i-an (25)
an opponent of disestablishment

antidisestablishmentarian-ism (28)
the movement or ideology that opposes disestablishment
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Saw the Hanks movie just last year and had no idea Mary Poppins was a children's book and couldn't remember the author. I actually learned the Supercali...word and antidis... word from my cousin that summer (maybe) showing off his city smarts. I did know that the antidis word was church related, but negged on "Anglican Church".

I guess I don't associate 9/11 with New York City that much, and think more of the Big Apple as being more relevant as a logo. Haven't seen the bruise or the addendum.

Frankly, I though Angel was the Spanish word/cognate?, and also a common first name.
I read 15 posts here before I figured out the Angel connection with the actress, it was the worst hint ever until then.

I'm surprised to see ornithology as a poll question. It's at 97%. I was expecting to see Primer/Primer, but it is maybe not that enlightening. I have heard the "primmer" usage, but likened it to tomato/tomahto or to Britspeak.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Saw the Hanks movie just last year and had no idea Mary Poppins was a children's book and couldn't remember the author. I actually learned the Supercali...word and antidis... word from my cousin that summer (maybe) showing off his city smarts. I did know that the antidis word was church related, but negged on "Anglican Church".
Wait, when did we decide Anglican was wrong? C of E and Anglican, AFAIK, are essentially synonymous and C of E is good so Anglican should be too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Wait, when did we decide Anglican was wrong? C of E and Anglican, AFAIK, are essentially synonymous and C of E is good so Anglican should be too.
I was going off econgator's post. I don't know if we can have a definitive answer, but will change my vote if the council declares Anglican Church is OK :).
econgator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm But it's not wrong. If "church" counts, certainly "Anglican church" should count, no?
Well, if you look at the wiki article on this guy, here's what it says with regards to this specific clue: not a thing.
And if you look at the articles on the Church in Wales and the Welsh Church Act of 1914 (which is what did the disestablishing), you'll find this guys name exactly zero times. So, quite honestly, I have no clue what it was he was against disestablishing.

That being said, it looks like this was about the Church in Wales disestablishing from the Church of England. Both of were to remain -- and still are -- Anglican. So, to throw "Anglican" in there is, I think, to add incorrect information.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »