FJs for the 3/29/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/29/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Horrified by the 1964 movie musical from her work, she okayed a U.K. stage version as long as "no Americans" were involved
51%
While performing in Philadelphia, the future father of this man sent a letter threatening to slit Andrew Jackson's throat
83%
After 9/11, designer Milton Glaser modified this iconic logo of his, adding a bruise & the words "More Than Ever"
48%
A real-life antidisestablishmentarian, William Bridgeman opposed the 1920 disestablishment of this in Wales
48%
In 1960 the ashes of this aviator were spread over the Venezuela natural wonder he famously sighted decades earlier  
74%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
WORD "OR"IGINS $2000: A branch of study, it first appeared in an 18th century work by a British bird lover
93%
INTERNAL RHYME SURNAMES $2000: In 1989 after 3 terms as New Hampshire's governor, he became George H.W. Bush's Chief of Staff
66%
TV & FILM $1000: Sergei Eisenstein directed the 1925 Russian silent film about this title battleship & its revolting crew
83%
For the Monday FJ! clue I got as far as Mary Poppins, but did not know (or recall) the author's name.
16%
Seeing the movie Saving Mr. Banks helped me solve the Monday FJ! clue.
23%
Even though I have seen the movie Saving Mr. Banks, I still missed the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
Agatha Christie was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
12%
AT THE MOVIES $1600: As of 2021 the last film appearance of this movie "Angel" was in a 2014 version of "Annie" - I was correct with Cameron Diaz.
8%
AT THE MOVIES $1600: As of 2021 the last film appearance of this movie "Angel" was in a 2014 version of "Annie" - The "Angel" hint did nothing to help me solve the clue.
69%
I Love New York (NY) was my correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I Heart (♥) New York (NY) was my correct response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
37%
I am certain I have seen the bruise/"More Than Ever" version of the NY logo prior to the FJ! clue.
6%
I have no recognition of ever seeing the bruise/"More Than Ever" version of the NY logo.
79%
I have seen/heard the word "antidisestablishmentarian"(ism) prior to Thursday, yet never learned its definition.
43%
Angel Falls being named after an aviator was news to me.
50%
Prior to the Friday FJ! clue I was aware Angel Falls were named after a real life aviator (James) Angel.
43%

Total votes: 90

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: FJs for the 3/29/21 week

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 am
Volante wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Saw the Hanks movie just last year and had no idea Mary Poppins was a children's book and couldn't remember the author. I actually learned the Supercali...word and antidis... word from my cousin that summer (maybe) showing off his city smarts. I did know that the antidis word was church related, but negged on "Anglican Church".
Wait, when did we decide Anglican was wrong? C of E and Anglican, AFAIK, are essentially synonymous and C of E is good so Anglican should be too.
I was going off econgator's post. I don't know if we can have a definitive answer, but will change my vote if the council declares Anglican Church is OK :).
econgator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm But it's not wrong. If "church" counts, certainly "Anglican church" should count, no?
Well, if you look at the wiki article on this guy, here's what it says with regards to this specific clue: not a thing.
And if you look at the articles on the Church in Wales and the Welsh Church Act of 1914 (which is what did the disestablishing), you'll find this guys name exactly zero times. So, quite honestly, I have no clue what it was he was against disestablishing.

That being said, it looks like this was about the Church in Wales disestablishing from the Church of England. Both of were to remain -- and still are -- Anglican. So, to throw "Anglican" in there is, I think, to add incorrect information.
Mmm, I see now. From a technical level, Anglican is probably incomplete, not exactly incorrect (though as FJ doesn't allow BMS, it's distinction without difference...however "Church" should similarly be just as wrong but is not, so there's that to factor in) but in J! canon, C of E and Anglican are treated as synonyms:

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4611
The compass rose, which contains the cross of St. George, symbolizes this church's communion
(Bobby: What is the Episcopal Church?)
(Alex: In the United States, the Episcopal Church; in England, the Church of England or the Anglican Church.) (Episcopal was ruled correct)

And more recently, Anglican Church was accepted for this clue:
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4979
At York Minster in 2015, Libby Lane was consecrated as this church's first female bishop

But she's specifically the first C of E female bishop; other Anglican branches ordained women as bishops earlier (e.g., Australia, 2008; Ireland, 2013)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Saw the Hanks movie just last year and had no idea Mary Poppins was a children's book and couldn't remember the author. I actually learned the Supercali...word and antidis... word from my cousin that summer (maybe) showing off his city smarts. I did know that the antidis word was church related, but negged on "Anglican Church".
Wait, when did we decide Anglican was wrong? C of E and Anglican, AFAIK, are essentially synonymous and C of E is good so Anglican should be too.
Wait, you saw Saving Nr. Banks, and you grew up sometime in the last 50-60 years, or have met people who did, and you didn't know Mary Poppins was a children's book? The neg on "Anglican" can serve as punishment... (Even though, I would point out, it's being a children's book had nothing to do with solving the clue, anyway.)...;)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:05 am

Wait, you saw Saving Nr. Banks, and you grew up sometime in the last 50-60 years, or have met people who did, and you didn't know Mary Poppins was a children's book? The neg on "Anglican" can serve as punishment... (Even though, I would point out, it's being a children's book had nothing to do with solving the clue, anyway.)...;)
I just did a household survey and 100% of Boomers did not know that the Mary Poppins movie was based on a book (small sample size of 2 Boomers) :). I think our parents likely were never exposed to it (the book) either - it was probably deemed too frivolous for Dust Bowl household consumption. Boy, you can read Old Yeller again when you get your chores done :twisted:

Mmm, I see now. From a technical level, Anglican is probably incomplete, not exactly incorrect (though as FJ doesn't allow BMS, it's distinction without difference...however "Church" should similarly be just as wrong but is not, so there's that to factor in) but in J! canon, C of E and Anglican are treated as synonyms:
Good 'nuf for me! Thanks to econgator and Volante for the edumacation!

Happy Easter everyone, and beware of Penguin crossings :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am
davey wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:05 am

I just did a household survey and 100% of Boomers did not know that the Mary Poppins movie was based on a book (small sample size of 2 Boomers) :). I think our parents likely were never exposed to it (the book) either - it was probably deemed too frivolous for Dust Bowl household consumption. Boy, you can read Old Yeller again when you get your chores done :twisted:

I was more puzzled that I thought you were saying you didn't know Mary Poppins is a story for children. Not knowing it is a book is a little more understandable...except that the adaptation of the book is what Saving Mr. Banks is about, no? Are you sure you saw it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :cry: :cry:

I probably get Sununu given more time but the whole category threw me.

I think Mary Poppins crossed my mind but I’m never getting the author. Never saw the movie and put Christie.

I was familiar with the word but didn’t know what it meant. Never knew there was a Mr. Angel.

Never seen or heard of the altered logo.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I like how the easiest FJ! this week (going by the poll numbers) was the one that was almost completely TOM. I mean, did anyone ever hear the trivia about this letter being written threatening Jackson? Would've been a good poll option.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Another week of 40% FJ, 100% on extra clues. That's several in the past the past eight or ten weeks; feel like I'm in a bit of a rut.

Could say a lot about each of the clues and/or my answers -- but everything I could say has already been said. Glad I read the entire conversation before posting.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:56 pm I did know that the antidis word was church related, but negged on "Anglican Church".
I was going off econgator's post. I don't know if we can have a definitive answer, but will change my vote if the council declares Anglican Church is OK :).
econgator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm But it's not wrong. If "church" counts, certainly "Anglican church" should count, no?
Well, if you look at the wiki article on this guy, here's what it says with regards to this specific clue: not a thing.
And if you look at the articles on the Church in Wales and the Welsh Church Act of 1914 (which is what did the disestablishing), you'll find this guys name exactly zero times. So, quite honestly, I have no clue what it was he was against disestablishing.

That being said, it looks like this was about the Church in Wales disestablishing from the Church of England. Both of were to remain -- and still are -- Anglican. So, to throw "Anglican" in there is, I think, to add incorrect information.
As the board's only Anglican penguin, allow me to offer some rulings.

CORRECT RESPONSES: church, (The) Church in Wales, (The) Church of Wales, (The) Anglican Church, (The) Church of England

Church is perfectly fine on its own for two reasons: 1) There was only one established church in Wales at the time, so obviously that's the one that got disestablished. 2) THE VERY NEXT WORDS AFTER THE "THIS" IN THE CLUE ARE "IN WALES". So if they want to know WHICH church you're talking about, the clue answers that question and there's no need to rewrite the words "in Wales".

The Church in Wales was and is a part of the Anglican Communion. So it's perfectly proper to refer to it as the Anglican Church in Wales. And again, since "in Wales" is in the clue, "Anglican Church" is all that's needed. I'm surprised there seems to be an assumption that this should be scored as a miss. And, while The Church OF Wales, is not the technical name of this entity, it is nevertheless a perfectly valid descriptor of The Church in Wales.

Finally, it was officially called The Church IN Wales rather than OF Wales to indicate that it was the part of the Chuch of England that was in Wales. So what was distestablished was the part of the Chuch of England that was in Wales, i.e. The Church of England in Wales. So "Church of England" is a correct response, again with the "in Wales" part provided by the clue.