Tuesday, April 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Put me in the FDR group for the therapeutic polio cabin. Easy to get if you know it's an airplane.

Aaron definitely improved for his second game. (Rant alert):
Spoiler
I want him to do well, but if they give the job to an entitled, unqualified white male, I might :roll: stop watching the show. There are probably 400 local news broadcasters and weather reporters with better narration skills and God given pipes without even considering professional actors. Yes, he might be able to level up, and even gain a little more charisma. But on behalf of all of us who sat on the bench while the jocks played, and the coach avoided eye contact with us, there's no way Aaron should get this gig. :twisted:
This attitude adjustment came to me today when I heard the news that he seriously wants the job and even wants to continue playing football while he can. My inner SJW says no white males, my empathy says don't leave behind an aspiring pro in the business. I will judge his performance without any of that outside noise, and what's not to like about someone who is a fan and really watches the show.
Oh, and he did spoil the Monday game with his interview, not that it matters.
What was with the British Labor party clue? Brandon answered 'Labor', and hearing crickets, specified "The Labor Party". The writers should have had that on the card as a good answer.

Yes, Brandon is a good player.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 pm I wonder if anyone on the boards matched my wrong FJ to match Erin's. It's famous history near here. In 1901, Teddy was in the Adirondacks when McKinley was shot. He was staying there, and eventually began a frantic midnight trip to Buffalo. I never considered that "cabin" referred to an airplane.
+1 to all of this. I read the factoid of TR hiking the Adirondacks a couple of months ago. I couldn't remember if he went straight to D.C. overnight or stayed in New York for another day or two, but remembering the story made him hard to shake off. Never thought "cabin" would mean airplane.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 pm What was with the British Labor party clue? Brandon answered 'Labor', and hearing crickets, specified "The Labor Party". The writers should have had that on the card as a good answer.
*cough* Labour *uncough*

The sheet would likely have had "Labour Party" as opposed to "Labour (Party)", but this is sort of exemplifies why Ken is my first choice. Anyone can grow into the host role, but having the knowledge base to know when non-exact answers are given and rule on the fly only comes with a lifetime of learning.
Leander wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 pm I thought Rodgers did much better today, unless I’m getting just used to him.

I never would have connected a sweltering cabin to an aircraft. I went with Teddy Roosevelt, figuring he was on a hunting trip somewhere when McKinley died.
Thought so too; Rodgers had more life compared to a half hour or so prior :D Honestly, not enough credit is given to how fast it must be for the hosts in RL. Literally a couple hours to try to live up to someone with years of built up experience.

Same cabin thought here. "LBJ was in an airplane, so that couldn't be it. Probably TR off doing TR things in the woods like riding moose and saving bears and 1901 is the 20th century, those clever writers..." *first response reveal* "Ooh, you almost had it! ... wait, what?!" *pouts*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 3/4 on big clues.
Picked Off wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:47 pm I wonder if anyone on the boards matched my wrong FJ to match Erin's. It's famous history near here. In 1901, Teddy was in the Adirondacks when McKinley was shot. He was staying there, and eventually began a frantic midnight trip to Buffalo. I never considered that "cabin" referred to an airplane.
+1.

Missed John Carter with Tarzan. I've seen a movie version of John Carter and at one point I read who the author was. Tarzan going to Mars seemed reasonable at the time. He's an adventurous guy. Missed Poland and said Germany.

Went 0/5 on the FROM THE FRENCH category. Currently practicing Spanish everyday and I don't want to try to review French. Foreign languages are a weak category for me.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are zabaglione (I think I've said that before...), Kansas, dreadful, Ginsu, and Tupelo.

I missed the Freaks and Geeks clue but that's a good show. I didn't remember Martin Starr's name but he has been an iconic character in some really funny shows. Party Down is hilarious. Silicon Valley had good moments.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm embarrassed to admit I never made the connection between "cabin" and Air Force One.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first thought was Calvin Coolidge, who was sworn in in the middle of the night by his father, a notary public, on the family farm. (He was sworn in again later by someone whose authority to do so wasn't as debatable.) But in the middle of the night it's not so sweltering. The only other person I could imagine in a cabin was Theodore Roosevelt ("1901? Yep, that's 20th century, if just barely"), not realizing my brain was occupying the wrong sort of cabin.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

+1 said Tarzan

+1 said Daniel Boone

+1 said Teddy Roosevelt

Looks like I'll be checking a lot of extra boxes in the weekend poll :roll:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 pm hot and dim was supposed to lead to the interior of a plane? i was thinking of some cabin with no electricity.
Fell for Daniel Boone.

Was confused about Texas being in the Midwest/Abilene clue.
20th C American History pretty much precludes Daniel Boone as the answer. Got to LBJ rather quickly but didn’t grok the significance of cabin until the reveal.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 pm hot and dim was supposed to lead to the interior of a plane? i was thinking of some cabin with no electricity.
Fell for Daniel Boone.

Was confused about Texas being in the Midwest/Abilene clue.
20th C American History pretty much precludes Daniel Boone as the answer.
I think CyrusChan's Boone response was in response to the Washington DD.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Sweltering cabin" = "airplane" occurred to me pretty quickly -- I've been on quite a few planes where the ground-powered air conditioning wasn't cutting it during boarding, and the flight attendants have used the P.A. to reassure everyone, "the cabin will cool down once we close the door and get the engines fired up."
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 pm What was with the British Labor party clue? Brandon answered 'Labor', and hearing crickets, specified "The Labor Party". The writers should have had that on the card as a good answer.
*cough* Labour *uncough*

The sheet would likely have had "Labour Party" as opposed to "Labour (Party)", but this is sort of exemplifies why Ken is my first choice. Anyone can grow into the host role, but having the knowledge base to know when non-exact answers are given and rule on the fly only comes with a lifetime of learning.
AR giving his first clue second game led to a split second of caution while he glanced over at the judges. I'm pretty sure there were some of those when Ken hosted too...I'd like to think I could have handled that one on my own with my own lifetime of learning, but let's give the guy a break...!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:18 am
Volante wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm
*cough* Labour *uncough*

AR giving his first clue second game led to a split second of caution while he glanced over at the judges. I'm pretty sure there were some of those when Ken hosted too...I'd like to think I could have handled that one on my own with my own lifetime of learning, but let's give the guy a break...!
Oh, two weeks is fine; the host rotations act as a soft reset. I'm just not sure I'm up for a season of it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I thought I'd share a fun moment I had playing along:

LITERARY SETTINGS $2000: Decades after his Nigerian-set "Things Fall Apart", this author's "Anthills of the Savannah" is set in fictional Kangan

Me at home: Who is Achebe?
Brandon: Who is Chinua Achebe?
Me: Showing off, huh?? I can play this game.

"Z" IS FOR... $2000: This Mexican revolutionary who viva!'d from 1879 to 1919

Me: My turn. Who is Emiliano Zapata? ;)
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I was expecting a reversal on "messy." Obviously it's not as good a response as the intended one, but the clue is hardly well pinned.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just looked at the game dynamics graph and saw that after the second clue, there was no change in the standings until FJ. That is to say, after Chris's first neg, he, Erin, and Brandon remained in third, second, and first place respectively through the end of DJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The Talking Mime wrote:
Picked Off wrote: I wonder if anyone on the boards matched my wrong FJ to match Erin's. It's famous history near here. In 1901, Teddy was in the Adirondacks when McKinley was shot. He was staying there, and eventually began a frantic midnight trip to Buffalo. I never considered that "cabin" referred to an airplane.
+1 to all of this. I read the factoid of TR hiking the Adirondacks a couple of months ago. I couldn't remember if he went straight to D.C. overnight or stayed in New York for another day or two, but remembering the story made him hard to shake off. Never thought "cabin" would mean airplane.
Per Wikipedia: Roosevelt only went to the Adirondacks after mis-leading optimism of Mckinley recovering from his wounds. So I'm not sure Teddy would have been making any decisions as President during the eight days between the shooting and McKinley's actual death.

Anyways, I briefly considered TR, then thought of Calvin Coolidge being in a cabin in Vermont at about 20 seconds into the music. I thought I had it nailed.
That was a pretty nasty clue. :x
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Put me down as another TR. I briefly thought of Lincoln because of the cabin, but dismissed that as being the wrong century. Unfortunately, that version of cabin stuck, and I never considered any other kind of cabin. TR was the best I could do, knowing that he went on vacation after McKinley was shot.
--Peter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Noah Wyle was in the first round, and John Carter was in the second. I was amused.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:49 am
The Talking Mime wrote:
Picked Off wrote: I wonder if anyone on the boards matched my wrong FJ to match Erin's. It's famous history near here. In 1901, Teddy was in the Adirondacks when McKinley was shot. He was staying there, and eventually began a frantic midnight trip to Buffalo. I never considered that "cabin" referred to an airplane.
Per Wikipedia: Roosevelt only went to the Adirondacks after mis-leading optimism of Mckinley recovering from his wounds. So I'm not sure Teddy would have been making any decisions as President during the eight days between the shooting and McKinley's actual death.
More relevant is what he did after he learned that McK was likely to die. He immediately went to Buffalo so that he would be near the President. So that's where he took the oath (I remember there was a controversial clue on the original WWTBAM hinging on whether this constituted his first inaugural...) and where his presidency started.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I was surprised any labo(u)r was exerted considering the first response. The word "party" was in the clue.
OCSam