Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vermonter »

I'm hoarse today after yelling at the TV several times. Get those DDs!

I kicked this game off well:
No. 2 on GQ's "100 Most Powerful Bald Men in the World", he "imparted wisdom... to millions of faithful devotees & Richard Gere"
Me: Who is Bruce Willis? :oops:
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:52 am Waffled between Phil Donahue and Regis Philbin, settled on the latter as I decided Donahue was going a little too far back.

As noted upthread, Rodgers was rather low-key. But each previous host had their own little quirks in the first episode or two before they settled in. I'll withhold judgement until his run is over.

The host can see FJ! responses prior to the reveal, correct? I wonder if the producers told him to "sound out (Scott's) response and act surprised" or if he was ignorant up to that point. His reaction seemed natural but that could have been an overdub.

ETA: I may be misremembering. Perhaps the host can see the wagers prior but not the response?
Aaron said in an interview he saw the response as it was being written.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 am I was pleasantly surprised at Aaron Rodgers’s ability as a host, though that hairdo put me in mind of Michael Beschloss at times. FJ had my wife thinking of Alex Trebek until I pointed out the category. I got to Fred Rogers quickly and couldn’t think of any response I liked better.
My wife and I also went toward Alex as a possible correct response; I think quite a few markets air the show before 5 p.m. local time, so I would have thought it could qualify as "Daytime".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

merica wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 am I was pleasantly surprised at Aaron Rodgers’s ability as a host, though that hairdo put me in mind of Michael Beschloss at times. FJ had my wife thinking of Alex Trebek until I pointed out the category. I got to Fred Rogers quickly and couldn’t think of any response I liked better.
My wife and I also went toward Alex as a possible correct response; I think quite a few markets air the show before 5 p.m. local time, so I would have thought it could qualify as "Daytime".
Wouldn't THAT have been a forehead slap? And yes Alex has seven times received the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host and a Lifetime Achievement Emmy in 2011. So he fits the category and is a darn good guess. I'm glad I didn't think of the possibility.

davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 pm
Wouldn't THAT have been a forehead slap? And yes Alex has seven times received the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host and a Lifetime Achievement Emmy in 2011. So he fits the category and is a darn good guess. I'm glad I didn't think of the possibility.

I spent most of the :30 thinking, Would they do that? I didn't come up with a better guess. I find it easier to think of Alex as "Daytime" than Fred Rogers...
I guess it was the "help"ing part we were supposed to latch on to, and it seems like at least some were familiar with the speech. It's probably in the 2 documentaries that have circulated about him in the last couple years, right? I watched them both. I'll bet if the clue had specified that he actually took the 10 seconds, the truth would have clicked in!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:38 pm

I spent most of the :30 thinking, Would they do that? I didn't come up with a better guess. I find it easier to think of Alex as "Daytime" than Fred Rogers...
I guess it was the "help"ing part we were supposed to latch on to, and it seems like at least some were familiar with the speech. It's probably in the 2 documentaries that have circulated about him in the last couple years, right? I watched them both. I'll bet if the clue had specified that he actually took the 10 seconds, the truth would have clicked in!
For me, it wasn't so much the 'help' part, but 'you', putting it back on the audience and the viewer. Only Mr Rogers was humble enough to spend his time to remind -you- to thank those in your life while -he- was getting a Lifetime Achievement Award.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Aaron is quite likable. A bit mellow at times, but I'll take natural mellowness over phony enthusiasm.

No guess on FJ! This clue just seemed wide open.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

For those who might be unsure about how Aaron Rodgers took that little shout out from Scott in FJ, the producers posted a video with a bit of post game chat included. Short story - he took it very well. Here you go (skip to 2:10 in if you'd like):

--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:20 am I beat all the contestants in getting Iranian hostages. I thought 444 was Pavlov for that. It happens that so many people played 444 on the day they were released, the Michigan State Lottery suspended trading in 444 in its Daily 3 game.
In 2015 Congress authorized payments of $4.44 million to each of these people, $10,000 for each day of their captivity

The only number I could have pulled on the Iran captives would be the 52 hostages (I think). The time length seemed cromulent with the internment camps, but maybe they ran 3-4 years. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with this $200 million dollar disbursement 36 years after the fact, but am not motivated to research the whys and wherefores.

Also - who the hell knew that horses needed Selenium? What do they do with it? And why doesn't Mongolia have it? All the other good stuff (lithium, rare earths) is in China.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 pm Also - who the hell knew that horses needed Selenium? What do they do with it? And why doesn't Mongolia have it? All the other good stuff (lithium, rare earths) is in China.
As the Chinese bought the horses from the Mongols, one could safely make the assumption, adage be damned, that Mongolia has selenium
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Regarding where to find Selenium:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Being a huge football fan, I didn't think the dig was fair. Even if quarterbacks these days made those decisions, which they don't. Definitely a hindsight criticism - the two-minute warning and all three time outs remaining. The numbers suggest go for it, but you still have to convert the two-pointer, which is 50/50. It wasn't a cut-and-dried as the hawttakers in sports media presented it and the Packer defense committed multiple penalties to allow the Bucs to run out the clock.

Long story short, and admittedly not particularly liking this champ anyway (had to fast-forward to Final three straight days), I think he winds up being one of those notorious contestants I'm glad isn't ToC material.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 pm Being a huge football fan, I didn't think the dig was fair. Even if quarterbacks these days made those decisions, which they don't. Definitely a hindsight criticism - the two-minute warning and all three time outs remaining. The numbers suggest go for it, but you still have to convert the two-pointer, which is 50/50. It wasn't a cut-and-dried as the hawttakers in sports media presented it and the Packer defense committed multiple penalties to allow the Bucs to run out the clock.

Long story short, and admittedly not particularly liking this champ anyway (had to fast-forward to Final three straight days), I think he winds up being one of those notorious contestants I'm glad isn't ToC material.
It's not a dig at Rodgers, if anything it's a dig at the Packers' coaching staff. Aaron agreed with him "That is a great question", it wasn't like he was trying to embarrass Rodgers.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 pm It's not a dig at Rodgers, if anything it's a dig at the Packers' coaching staff. Aaron agreed with him "That is a great question", it wasn't like he was trying to embarrass Rodgers.
It was a dig in the sense that it, in the football world, might be an indication that LaFleur doesn't have full confidence in his abilities. But also taking a shot at his boss, which is often uncomfortable. Rodgers had undoubtedly heard that comment a thousand times the week of taping, but still, unexpected in the Jeopardy venue.

He obviously felt strongly enough about it to mention it in his interview with ESPN, and, since it was his very first game and the response to FJ is one of the host's biggest responsibilities, I don't think it was a considerate or nice thing to do. Really says a lot about the guy's ability to feel empathy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It certainly put him in a difficult position.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 pm It was a dig in the sense that it, in the football world, might be an indication that LaFleur doesn't have full confidence in his abilities.
That simply isn't possible. It was 100% LaFleur making the wrong call. Rodgers completed 70.7% of his passes for nearly 4300 yards, with 48 TD and 5 -- yeah, FIVE -- INT's. This is the worst coaching call in NFL history. Even worse than not running Marshawn Lynch.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Marshawn Lynch did a cameo on an episode of the League where someone wanted him to run a beer over to them but instead someone tried to throw it, and disaster ensued. Gently poking fun at his own coach for not "running it in". I think you're maybe overthinking this on Aaron's behalf. It was a funny quip, he added to it with a funny reaction, made for a very memorable moment. A good time was had by all.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

econgator wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm
Anachronism wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 pm It was a dig in the sense that it, in the football world, might be an indication that LaFleur doesn't have full confidence in his abilities.
That simply isn't possible. It was 100% LaFleur making the wrong call. Rodgers completed 70.7% of his passes for nearly 4300 yards, with 48 TD and 5 -- yeah, FIVE -- INT's. This is the worst coaching call in NFL history. Even worse than not running Marshawn Lynch.
I don't share your assessment. It is hard to complete a pass on fourth and goal from further than about a yard, where the run is a distinct possibility. The defense knows what's coming, and that means everything.

What happened with Lynch is a testament to Bill Belichick's acumen in understanding strategy. He knew that Bevell was very likely to try a slant in that situation and he knew what Seattle ran out of stacked receivers because all Belichick does is study and innovate. He put Malcolm Butler in the right spot and coached him to jump the route in that type of situation. The play should have worked, but exceptional coaching stopped it.

This was less a strategy call - no running play would be called, or even the type of option a great running quarterback like Lamar Jackson might run in that situation. The Packers had already failed on a two-point conversion and Rodgers had thrown three straight incompletions. Even if he scores on fourth-and-eight and converts the two-pointer, the game is still tied with a lot of time remaining for Brady. I don't agree with the call, but I don't think it's a terrible one.

Meanwhile, going back to Jeopardy. It's his first show. He's nervous. Of all the guest hosts, he's the only one who has very little experience with his voice in front of an audience (aside from snap counts). This is obviously a dream opportunity for him, and it's a credit to him that he handled a difficult shot fairly well under the circumstances.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm
28-3
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Hemingway $800: after a Spanish star of this arena sport that the writer had become enthralled with

Enthralled "by", Ken, not "with". Get the words right.

In FJ, I assumed the quote echoed a well-known catchphrase of the honoree's. Since it didn't ring any bells for me, I restricted my search to people I never watched, thereby excluding Fred Rogers. I also expected somebody still living, since they avoided the word "late", which they often employ for people far longer dead than Mr. Rogers.

I thought Scott's answer was among the more successful recent attempts at a humorous FJ response. It certainly didn't blame Aaron. If it causes problems with Aaron's coach, well, that's football.

I did guess the Iran hostages, but though I certainly knew 444 days, the significance of the dollar amount could only have registered with me subliminally. If I rang in, I'd probably have said "hostages" and waited for prompts.
I'm smart and I want respect.