Thursday, April 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, April 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpr281 »

Interesting, Santiago's population is greater than Buenos Aires when only using the city proper, but the opposite is true when factoring in the metro areas.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpr281 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 pm Interesting, Santiago's population is greater than Buenos Aires when only using the city proper, but the opposite is true when factoring in the metro areas.
There's a lot of cities like that. Using city-proper, Jacksonville is by far the largest city in Florida, being almost twice the size of Miami. However, when you go to metro, then Miami nearly quadruples Jax.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

jpr281 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 pm Interesting, Santiago's population is greater than Buenos Aires when only using the city proper, but the opposite is true when factoring in the metro areas.
Using that metric, Winnipeg is bigger than all but eighteen cities in the US.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 2/4 on big clues. Couldn't pull Porthos. Had Buenos Aires and Brasilia. I started second guessing Brasilia because it was inland but didn't try to change it.

I've been pronouncing marque (as in letters of marque) with two syllables. Glad to know better now.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are pickup, Les Paul, Alfredo Pacino, Carmen Miranda, and Barney Stinson. All very gettable, just didn't get them this time.

All three players did well. I think Abbey might have reviewed an archive category about Hungary or the Wikipedia page the night before her game.

I overthought Ready Player Two and tried to think of Armada.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 pm
AntmanB wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm Disappointed we didnt get to the last Tv Song Clue.

i Knew Buenos Aries was 1, couldnt think of the other 2. ended up with Montevideo too. IDK why i couldnt think of Lima or Bogota.
Anyone have a better option for a top box other than "Soft Kitty"?
The classic:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( I cycled through Brazil and Rio (not the capital) before remembering Brasilia and figuring that wasn't it. I picked Lima because I only remember a couple of capitals from 6th grade. My other pick was the capital or Argentina, whatever that is. It could be literally any city :lol: .

I knew Brandon was in trouble today, but I don't think it was the post lunch jinx. He just got steamrolled by Pasquale and a tough DD3 miss by Pasquale brought Brandon back in the equation. I guess with 70K in winnings he wanted a big payday if he got the solve and Pasquale didn't.

I'm waiting for Alietr to take a drink for the shout-out to Brown University.

Aaron seems more comfortable. I thought he managed that "four degrees of separation" comeback well. I noticed his clue reading was spot on for a couple of tangled phrases, and he accented the "this" perfectly.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My mind instantly went to Brazil, but just as quickly I realized the capital was not what I was thinking of when I pictured Brazilian crowds. So I went west to Argentina, and liking Buenos Aires, I kept it in my pocket and went north to Lima. It felt like a lucky get, and although I think I stay away from Brazil every time, I'm not sure I'm guaranteed to get this one right under all circumstances.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm Disappointed we didnt get to the last Tv Song Clue.

i Knew Buenos Aries was 1, couldnt think of the other 2. ended up with Montevideo too. IDK why i couldnt think of Lima or Bogota.
I agree that The Simpsons "Monorail Song" is a good contender. How about "Rochelle, Rochelle" from Seinfeld? Maybe the "tossed salads and scrambled eggs" theme from Frasier?

I got FJ with Buenos Aires and Bogota.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For FJ Buenos Aires was instant. I remember studying populations of countries years ago and being surprised to learn that Colombia actually has a higher population than Argentina, so that made me feel pretty good about Bogota being the other. I had Lima as my next guess, so I was glad to see that it would have worked if I had picked it over Bogota.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I think the clue about The Big Nickel might have been an homage to Alex Trebek.

Sudbury, Ontario (Greater Sudbury) has come up a couple times on the show or on J6! now.

Edit: The Big Nickel is 2-3 miles away from where Alex Trebek went to high school. If I read Wikipedia right.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For FJ, I knew Buenos Aires and Lima for sure (Thanks, Sporcle!) and spent the majority of Think Time considering what would be the third. Choosing between Bogota, Caracas and Quito, I went for Caracas. So close... Impressive debut by Pasquale. It’ll be interesting to see if he can replicate that performance.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 pm

I agree that The Simpsons "Monorail Song" is a good contender. How about "Rochelle, Rochelle" from Seinfeld? Maybe the "tossed salads and scrambled eggs" theme from Frasier?
I'm now doubting it was Monorail, as the Simpsons was the J!6:
(the clue)
After he (temporarily) loses his job there, this "Simpsons" character sings, "Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?"
Family Guy would be a safe bet, though
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Judges: Would just "Barney" have been acceptable instead of Barney Stinson?

Got tons of yummy DJ trash with Marian Anderson, A Thousand Acres, and the Porthos DD

For Final, Bogota was my first sure pick. I passed over Brasilia and went to the correct side of the Rio de la Plata and picked Buenos Aires.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:57 pm I'm now doubting it was Monorail, as the Simpsons was the J!6:
(the clue)
After he (temporarily) loses his job there, this "Simpsons" character sings, "Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?"
Spoiler
Who is Nahasapeemapetilon?
yclept

Post by yclept »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 pm Judges: Would just "Barney" have been acceptable instead of Barney Stinson?
I would say acceptable.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 pm For FJ, I knew Buenos Aires and Lima for sure (Thanks, Sporcle!) and spent the majority of Think Time considering what would be the third. Choosing between Bogota, Caracas and Quito, I went for Caracas. So close... Impressive debut by Pasquale. It’ll be interesting to see if he can replicate that performance.
I started doing the nations capitals test on sporcle years ago until I nailed it once. Now, I do it a couple of times a year and struggle with a handful always in Oceana and Africa.

Its worth remembering that Quito isn't even the biggest city in Ecuador, Guayaquil is. Brasilia isn't even in the top three in Brazil as Sao Paulo and Rio are the two largest metro areas in South American.

Compared to some other cities in South America both Caracas and Montevideo are not that big.

I got Buenos Aires and Lima, and knew I had it. Told my wife that either Santiago or Bogota is the third one. Turns out, within city limits Santiago has a higher population than Buenos Aires
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Sherm wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:46 pm Its worth remembering that Quito isn't even the biggest city in Ecuador, Guayaquil is.
Actually Quito recently surpassed Guayaquil in population. But Guayaquil's metro area is still bigger.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:22 am
Volante wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:57 pm I'm now doubting it was Monorail, as the Simpsons was the J!6:
(the clue)
Spoiler
Who is Nahasapeemapetilon?
Spoiler
Be more specific.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I got this FJ pretty quickly. The 3 most populous South American countries are Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina, in that order. Brasilia seemed unlikely because Sao Paulo and Rio have larger populations. So it's just a matter of remembering the capitals of Colombia and Argentina. I think the contestants may have overthought this FJ, Brandon especially.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I wouldn’t call Montevideo “overthinking” it. But South America is tougher than Europe and Africa for most people so who knows.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Video of MarkBarrett's second game was just shared on the board today; the endgame was slightly reminiscent of this episode's, with a triple stumper FJ and the leader covering third place but not second. In both cases it saved them a few thousand dollars, but it also saved Elizabeth Randisi the game.