Friday, April 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One edition of this 1930s novella shows a farm within the silhouette of a rabbit

Pasquale Palumbo: 12200+4000=16200
Jennifer Leong Evans: 3800-0=3800
Dennis Chase: 26700-800=25900 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Of Mice and Men (Jennifer – Animal Farm) (Dennis Harvey Animal Farm)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 2400-2400
Dennis: 16600+3500
Dennis: 21700+3000

Coryats
Pasquale: 12200
Jennifer: 6200
Dennis: 22600

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Pasquale: 5400
Jennifer: 1000
Dennis: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was hard to tell is Pasquale was trying to ring in on DJ30 or not. It's possible that Dennis reached the needed runaway by fractions of a second.

With five games complete Aaron Rodgers has easily demonstrated he was deserving of the shot as a guest host. I've enjoyed this week and it will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in ratings after the decline in March.

The FJ! category had me doing little precall work other than thinking Twain and knowing Jack London was out.

The FJ! clue had me immediately rule out the popular wrong response (it will be on the poll) as I knew it was 1940s. With "farm" and "rabbit" in the clue's wording I had zero expectation that either word would appear in the correct response.

What I did not know was the correct response. My elimination list grew with various certain deductions that it could not be Peter Rabbit, Harvey or definitely not Watership Down. I have no idea how many hours (or days) it would have taken me to figure out the correct title. To avoid a blank page I wrote Song of the South.

Very nice solve by Pasquale and too bad for him the reward was four figures in prize winnings and not five figures. Dennis was on easy street thanks to solving DD2 & DD3 and $800 was a small penalty for his miss.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:43 pmThe FJ! clue had me immediately rule out the popular wrong response (it will be on the poll) as I knew it was 1940s.
It also doesn't fit the category, which is why I ruled it out and ended up getting to the correct answer (which I wasn't certain was novella-length). --Bob
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I knew it wasn’t Animal Farm because that was written in 1945. The keyword novella led me to the answer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I'm coming back around on Aaron again. He's doing the job in a very professional way and he does a lot of little things well that we take for granted, like mentioning who wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or in yesterday's game when
Spoiler
he explained why the incorrect responses in "Top of the Bill" were wrong in a way where it was clear he understood what the writers were going for. Basically he was explaining negbait like "Fredo" and "Inigo Montoya." Don't mean to drag someone further, but Katie Couric could not have done a good job explaining things like that on the fly.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I couldn't get away from Watership Down, George.

Is eating canned beans with ketchup really a thing? Or was it rendered obsolete once baked beans were canned with some kind of tomato sauce?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Put Gone with The wind just to have something down then put down Animal Farm. Both Wrong.

Lach Trash - Glasgow
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Never read Of Mice and Men and would never have connected it with rabbits or farms or rabbit farms. I knew it wasn't Animal Farm, had doubts about Watership Down but couldn't think of anything else.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I only got FJ because I had to read the book in my 10th grade English class. I don't think it's an unreasonable FJ clue, but it does seem like a YKITOYD clue written to sound like it has a TOM when it doesn't.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Do you think they would have taken "the Hindu Triumverate" for the clue that wanted Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva? I'm counting it, for now.

Never read OMaM, so the clue meant nothing to me. I had no response.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I like Dennis. He looks like a cross between Walter White and Mike Ehrmantraut.

We're all clear that Animal Farm doesn't fit the FJ category, right? Ditto Watership Down which is from 1972 anyway. And if it's a novella then War and Peace is a medium-sized novel.

It's been close to 40 years since I read the correct response, but I got there easily enough, perhaps with a little help from Looney Tunes. I'm told this character was based on Lenny.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

All I could think of was The Grapes of Wrath and I knew it was wrong because it isn't a novela. I was determined to stay away from Animal Farm which, although a novella, it is a British work and is from the 1940s. So I should have pivoted to a different Steinbeck work.

I wonder if the middle contestant messed Pasquale's Rhythm up by ringing in with Seward on the penultimate clue. It was already a runaway by then so the final clue was just water over the dam.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I've seen all three film versions of OMaM, so the clue clicked pretty well for me. (Burgess Meredith, Robert Blake, Gary Sinise)

If only Pasquale would have known Cognac, he could have prevented the runaway.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Conjunctions, "Go"ing Places,
DDs: :D :| :D
trash: Glasgow, Santo Domingo DD, Horus,
FJ: What is Watership Down? :( Shoulda known it was British & way too late for the clue.
Had Krishna for Brahma. :x
Had Buddha for Hannibal. :?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:43 pm I have no idea how many hours (or days) it would have taken me to figure out the correct title. To avoid a blank page I wrote Song of the South.
Well, after writing down the "Valvatine Rabbit" and knowing it was likely wrong. I paused the show right at the end of of the music and got it in about a minute. The only thing I wonder about is I did not do any precalls and if a I had. I would have run through all of the Steinbeck books that I know as well as Fitzgerald, Faulkner, and Hemingway. Those 4 appear to be the gold standard for American writers and I'm sure I would have run through some others. So I would have made a mental list of 20 or 25 novels along with 8 or 10 writers in a couple of minutes . I'm sure that "Of mice and men" would have been one of them. Would have that got me there within 30 seconds. Who knows.

I got it wrong today on my scoresheet.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sherm wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:25 pm Well, after writing down the "Valvatine Rabbit" and knowing it was likely wrong.
Velveteen. Yours might pass the sounds-like test, but it's a close thing.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

that wasn't the cover of my Of Mice and Men.
threw in Peter Rabbit, it had the rabbit and farm part.