Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

runs: Animal Phrases, Wails
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Green Bay Packers, Scottsdale, National Unity Government (2400)
FJ: What is Orion? :mrgreen: instaget
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm Orion and Sag both have several within them.
I don't usually whine about clues I got right, but that's what makes it a subpar clue in my opinion. It's pinned on "which constellation did Huygens talk about?" - which is an incredibly obscure factoid.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tonight I learned from Closed Captioning that Jerusalem has a landmark called the Whaling Wall.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm Orion and Sag both have several within them.
I don't usually whine about clues I got right, but that's what makes it a subpar clue in my opinion. It's pinned on "which constellation did Huygens talk about?" - which is an incredibly obscure factoid.
I was going to defend this clue by saying that the "naked eye" part points more clearly to Orion than to Sagittarius. Orion's easy to pick out even with a fair amount of light pollution, so it's more likely to have a nebula that can be seen with the naked eye. But a quick search tells me that Sagittarius also has a nebula that can be seen with the naked eye--just barely and only under good conditions, but still. It's in the Teapot section, which isn't really a weapon but, again, still.... It does seem like we're supposed to get this not so much based on knowledge as by being on the same wavelength as the writers.

That said, it's pretty easy to get if you attack it on that basis. Orion is just a more likely response than Sagittarius. So says this moron who switched from Orion to Sagittarius and got it wrong.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:04 pm Tonight I learned from Closed Captioning that Jerusalem has a landmark called the Whaling Wall.
It's honestly too far from the ocean to be a major whaling point. But there's a fairy you can take.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

This is one FJ where 50 years of stargazing with naked eye, binoculars, and telescopes paid off. While Sagittarius has multiple nebulae, only a few (M8, M17, M22) come close to naked-eye visibility, and none of those are in the main part of the constellation, much less within a weapon. In any case, Sagittarius has always looked to me like a giant teapot.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett" wrote: Erick was the best of the three players and earned the win with the sole solve while his 15400 or 21000 finishing numbers have me curious about the strategy. Perhaps Erick will manage to find a DD tomorrow (not likely in the first box) to give a better idea how he plays things.
The right mechanics but the wrong idea?
My guess is he did the math on what he would need to match Dennis doubling his score, then somehow wagered the leftover figure instead of the premium.
It'll be interesting to see if he gets himself straightened out in the next game (if he finishes DJ in the lead).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 3/4 on big clues. Couldn't decide between Sagittarius and Orion and picked the wrong one. The Horsehead Nebula was the only nebula I could think of and I failed to remember what constellation it was in. It's not the one in the sword they were referring to but it's in Orion.

Did poorly in TITLE WAVES and only got the Oilers. 25R in DJ so good categories for me.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Manchester, St Paul's Cathedral, Cornish, Sweet Charity, and Moulin Rouge!.

I also want to get Scottsdale, whisk, and Oakland A's next time. I got Reggie Jackson mixed up with Willie Mays for some reason.

The Packers clue threw me off because the Packers have only won 4 Super Bowls and the clue said they earned 5 NFL Championship trophies. I've never looked at a list of NFL champions in the era before the Super Bowl.

I can't believe Dennis lost. He was so good. Congrats to Erick.

I'm pretty sure I only got the Scott Kelly clue because I read an interview with Rodgers this week where he talked about his game with Mark Kelly and mentioned his brother. Would have taken me too long otherwise.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm Orion instaget! Then I changed to Sagittarius. :oops:

That San Diego clue was an example of one that was poorly pinned. Nothing at all about San Diego. You had to know about the fictional character Ron Burgundy. I wonder if the writers aren't conferring as much with each other during covid. I read in Sports Illustrated once that they played each game among themselves before finalizing them. I'll bet they're not doing that now.
That character has been invoked on J! more than a dozen times, answers and questions. It's canon. And funny.

Luckily I didn't talk myself out of my first FJ impulse tonight, though Astronomy is no more my favorite category than last night's was...So I gather there's only 2 possibilities for this?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm Orion instaget! Then I changed to Sagittarius. :oops:

That San Diego clue was an example of one that was poorly pinned. Nothing at all about San Diego. You had to know about the fictional character Ron Burgundy. I wonder if the writers aren't conferring as much with each other during covid. I read in Sports Illustrated once that they played each game among themselves before finalizing them. I'll bet they're not doing that now.
That character has been invoked on J! more than a dozen times, answers and questions. It's canon. And funny.
19 times before today, in fact. And 4 include 'San Diego'. A bad pin would be if part of Anchorman took place in, say, San Francisco.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I concur. They should have said "spear" and it would not have dumbed it down any. And can you imagine the night sky in 1656? It would have been in 4K instead of the VGA we have now 8-) .

My process:

FJ: first though, Orion. Wait, sure it's got a famous belt and Betelgeuse to boot, but I NHO a visible nebula. The answer is bound to be a zodiac constellation anyway - there's an archer, is it Sagittarius? I went with the zodiac answer because that is the way we do science in the US. The zodiac gets all the name recognition, even though I don't think I've ever identified any of them in the sky. I don't think Picasso would connect the dots the way some of them purportedly represent. Big Dipper, yeah I get that. Ursa Major - wth?

Aaron finally got that ball in the end zone today on the 7th try. I think he was 0fer in the NFC playoff. Top of the class, so far. Anxious to see Mayim. Just planning on enjoying and enduring Anderson.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm I started at Sagittarius then thought, "wait, what about Orion?" Only settled on Orion based on the flimsy assumption that in the absence of other TOM, it would be more obvious to the average viewer.
I went the opposite way thinking the constellation that's a zodiac sign--and presumably well-known as The Archer--would be more obvious.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 am

I concur. They should have said "spear" and it would not have dumbed it down any. And can you imagine the night sky in 1656? It would have been in 4K instead of the VGA we have now 8-) .
If there are only 2 possibilities - and I haven't seen any other candidates mentioned - it's hard to see how "spear" wouldn't eliminate the archer and point to the hunter.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

$18,200 to $16,800 to $13,600

In Norah's position, I would have wagered $7,199 to stay above the $6,399 I anticipated for Dennis if we both missed. So if I had gotten FJ right (Sagittarius was my first thought, I considered Orion, but stayed with Sagittarius, thereby violating the maxim "Stick with your first instinct, except when it's wrong"), I'd have finished with $20,799. Perhaps Erick worked out that number and rounded up for his target.
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

It was so cool to watch this-- Erick is the first person I've known (from real life/offline) who has gotten on J!, or any game show, as far as I'm aware. His family and mine used to attend the same church (not the one he pastors now, though it has the same linguistic setup). But we haven't really been in contact for a number of years, so I actually hadn't realized he'd become a pastor since then.

Looking forward to tomorrow!
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm Luckily I didn't talk myself out of my first FJ impulse tonight, though Astronomy is no more my favorite category than last night's was...So I gather there's only 2 possibilities for this?
I might be the only dummy who started off considering the two obvious choices, and then talked myself into a third one using faulty 'logic'. "What are some famous nebulas? There's the Crab Nebula ..... Crab ..... Cancer? ..... Hey, a claw would count as a weapon, right?"

(And it turns out the Crab Nebula isn't even in Cancer-- it's in Taurus. It's only called that because it looks like a crab.)

Considering where I've spent the last 12 LL seasons, I'm extremely embarrassed to miss a FJ clue that literally contained the words A NEBULA.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:04 pm Tonight I learned from Closed Captioning that Jerusalem has a landmark called the Whaling Wall.
That is very funny. It really should be referred to was the Western Wall, it's geographic point in the ancient Temple, or by its Hebrew name, the Kotel.
Wailing Wall is a somewhat derogatory description of the prayers said at the site. But that would not have fit the category.

Aaron was a hoot today. Deadpan.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

dklee12 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:06 am
davey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm Luckily I didn't talk myself out of my first FJ impulse tonight, though Astronomy is no more my favorite category than last night's was...So I gather there's only 2 possibilities for this?
I might be the only dummy who started off considering the two obvious choices, and then talked myself into a third one using faulty 'logic'. "What are some famous nebulas? There's the Crab Nebula ..... Crab ..... Cancer? ..... Hey, a claw would count as a weapon, right?"

(And it turns out the Crab Nebula isn't even in Cancer-- it's in Taurus. It's only called that because it looks like a crab.)

Considering where I've spent the last 12 LL seasons, I'm extremely embarrassed to miss a FJ clue that literally contained the words A NEBULA.
I had the same guess, though my problem was that I completely ignored the "weapon" part of the clue. I'm a C/D rundler in LL, but astronomy is usually a pretty good category for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 pm The Packers clue threw me off because the Packers have only won 4 Super Bowls and the clue said they earned 5 NFL Championship trophies. I've never looked at a list of NFL champions in the era before the Super Bowl.
The clue specified the 1960s, so only 2 of those 4 Super Bowls get counted.
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 pm I'm pretty sure I only got the Scott Kelly clue because I read an interview with Rodgers this week where he talked about his game with Mark Kelly and mentioned his brother. Would have taken me too long otherwise.
I got it because we just re-watched his J! appearance over the weekend. I was already making a similar joke from the couch when the clue showed up. Rodgers handled it perfectly, just mentioning Mark Kelly's second place finish without telling us who came in first.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never seen Anchorman but knew it was set in San Diego. I read about Aaron being in a game with the astronaut but couldn’t remember his last name. Maybe we’ll have a Mr. Wonderful clue later this week.

I was spoiled on the Green Bay clue before I saw the game but it was easy Lach Trash for me.

Orion was my first thought and didn’t switch.

Great game with Aaron. He really seems to be enjoying himself.