Friday, April 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Friday, April 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:33 pm I knew The Flaming Lips' song was "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"
Volante wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:56 pm It's too bad they discontinued 151. It was the strongest alcohol you could buy in California and I've gotten to make some special drinks with it. Too many people getting alcohol poisoning and suing the company I suppose.
Allegedly, it was because 151's easily flammable, but there's never been an official statement.
So now we know what the band drinks.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:52 am As an example of the closed captioner not having a clue, for 'Horus' they had 'Horace'. Oy.
I don't generally use the captions unless I can't make out what someone is saying. So I don't notice these errors myself. But I'm sure seeing a lot more of these comments lately. For Thursday's game someone at the secret bunker noted
Spoiler
that the captions had Kazakhs instead of Cossacks. To make it worse, when I looked into it, I saw they had Pasquale saying, "What are the Kazakhs" and Aaron replying, "Very close, Pasquale. But it was Kazakhs we're going for." AND Abbey's response of "Magyars" was recorded as "Maliars".
It seems to me that pretty much no one who watches the show and plays along would make any of these mistakes, not even if they were in an extreme hurry. These are mistakes made by someone who just doesn't have the background to caption the game. Maybe the regular captioner left and they decided to just use the same one who already does Wheel?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:30 am
davey wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:33 pm

Also, I thought the FJ was oddly worded. One edition "shows a farm"? I assumed they were describing a cover illustration, but I couldn't be positive. Nevertheless, I got it right.
Clearly it should have said "shows the farm"... ;)
And I think George and Lenny bunked in the cabin with the other farmhands. :twisted:
First class!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:25 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 pm Seems like a lot of people forgot the category. Lots of British books being mentioned in this thread.
Less "forgot the category," more "wasn't certain enough Watership Down is British not to guess it when it and the definitely-British Animal Farm are the only two names that come to mind."
I was mostly sure Watership Down was English, but the real dealbreaker was "1930s novella". WD is fairly long--over 400 pages I think. And for me anyway it seems strongly stamped with its time period, almost as strongly as Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Neither book has a particularly 1970ish (give or take a few years) setting. But they both positively reek of the zeitgeist.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 pm
Plactus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:25 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 pm Seems like a lot of people forgot the category. Lots of British books being mentioned in this thread.
Less "forgot the category," more "wasn't certain enough Watership Down is British not to guess it when it and the definitely-British Animal Farm are the only two names that come to mind."
I was mostly sure Watership Down was English, but the real dealbreaker was "1930s novella". WD is fairly long--over 400 pages I think. And for me anyway it seems strongly stamped with its time period, almost as strongly as Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Neither book has a particularly 1970ish (give or take a few years) setting. But they both positively reek of the zeitgeist.
I guess gulls were popular characters in '70s lit, since Watership Down also has one (Kehaar).
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Reflexively said Animal Farm on FJ, then immediately thought “not American”, and immediately pivoted to OMaM. One of those books I love but find very difficult to read because it’s so damned sad and tragic (Flowers for Algernon is the same way).

Aaron is improving, and has a nice understated feel to his hosting. There’s a welcome droll humor sneaking out on occasion too. Needs to work on his voice timbre a bit, and reading the clues could be a bit smoother here and there, but if he continues to improve, he could overtake KJ in my “new host” rankings. Hoping for “genre” to come up in a clue next week ;)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:33 am Reflexively said Animal Farm on FJ, then immediately thought “not American”, and immediately pivoted to OMaM. One of those books I love but find very difficult to read because it’s so damned sad and tragic (Flowers for Algernon is the same way).

Aaron is improving, and has a nice understated feel to his hosting. There’s a welcome droll humor sneaking out on occasion too. Needs to work on his voice timbre a bit, and reading the clues could be a bit smoother here and there, but if he continues to improve, he could overtake KJ in my “new host” rankings. Hoping for “genre” to come up in a clue next week ;)
Why wait for next week? Courtesy of that secret place:

https://archive.org/details/genre4921
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:33 am ... Aaron is improving, and has a nice understated feel to his hosting. There’s a welcome droll humor sneaking out on occasion too. Needs to work on his voice timbre a bit, and reading the clues could be a bit smoother here and there, but if he continues to improve, he could overtake KJ in my “new host” rankings...
Agree with your assessment of Aaron. He has really improved in just a week, and I genuinely enjoy watching him host on Jeopardy. Ken still has my vote, but as you say, Aaron may bump Ken to second place, at least in my standings.

I will always have a soft spot for Ken; his winning streak led me to the official Sony Jeopardy! Boards which in turn, is how I ended up here on J!Board.tv. I don't post much but read almost daily and having an insight to betting strategy, hearing from past players, etc., has made viewing the show much more enjoyable for me and my husband and given us both a greater appreciation for the game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Pasquale had gone DD hunting in the last category maybe he gets lucky.

I read the book in high school and got this one right.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Easy-E was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni