Thursday, April 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHYSICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Modern formulations of Newton’s 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that’s measured in Newtons

Patrick Hume: 22100+0=22100 (2x = $46,501)
Mark Dorosin: 10200-10000=200
Lindsay Wilcox: 7800+2401=10201

Correct response:
Spoiler
force (Mark – What are is)

Daily Doubles
Patrick: 3000+1500
Lindsay: 6600-4000
Lindsay: 5800+2000

Coryats
Patrick: 21200
Mark: 10200
Lindsay: 11000

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Patrick: 8100
Mark: 3000
Lindsay: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The first segment was categories 4-6 completed and that looked unusual on my scoresheet. cheezguyty, when was the last time that happened?

Aaron ended Lindsay's chat perfectly with the Ashley wisecrack. When Aaron called on Mark it sometimes sounded curt in manner and made me feel like a soldier not quite at attention.

Dr. Oz had a couple of phrases that were his and Aaron uses one I can't recall others using as he calls for, "Pencils down" after the think music.

Not that it ended up making much of a difference, but Lindsay lost 4000 on DD2 and then only gained 2000 on DD3. It can be tough for players to bet big on a DD after losing a lot on a previous one. Lindsay had the chance to prevent the lock and if she had done that then Patrick's total could have been $1,100 higher. No big deal, unless Patrick wins exactly four games and his money pace stays about the same.

The FJ! category had me expecting some kind of terminology word origin and not picking out a specific person.

The FJ! clue had me looking for something, anything to write. Doing Newton to gravity, I wrote G-force for a horseshoes, nuclear weapons miss. :( The opportunities were there in high school and/or college to have taken the kind of courses that would have paid dividends playing/watching J!, but did not happen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

If you can remember that Newton's most famous equation was Force = mass times acceleration, then it's a multiple choice of three. I chose mass because I am a science idiot.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:54 pm If you can remember that Newton's most famous equation was Force = mass times acceleration, then it's a multiple choice of three. I chose mass because I am a science idiot.
Not to make you feel worse, but...
Modern formulations of Newton’s 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that’s measured in Newtons
ACW

Post by ACW »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:54 pm If you can remember that Newton's most famous equation was Force = mass times acceleration, then it's a multiple choice of three. I chose mass because I am a science idiot.
What's his other most famous equation?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I Misunderstood Final so i put Energy.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pmFINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHYSICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE

Patrick Hume: 22100+0=22100 (2x = $46,501)
Mark Dorosin: 10200-10000=200
Lindsay Wilcox: 7800+2401=10201

Correct response:
Spoiler
force (Mark – What are is)

Daily Doubles
Patrick: 3000+1500
Lindsay: 6600-4000
Lindsay: 5800+2000

Coryats
Patrick: 21200
Mark: 10200
Lindsay: 11000

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Patrick: 8100
Mark: 3000
Lindsay: 3400
This is one of the very few categories that would have tempted me to risk a Clavin, were I in position to do so. Another appeared in what would have been my fourth game, if I had won my third. (Yes, I had correct responses on both occasions.) --Bob
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

ACW wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm
Fg = G(M1)(M2)/r^2

Force of gravity = Gravitational Constant(Mass of object 1)(Mass of object 2)/(square of the distance between them)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said wow wow. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Airports, $ Slang, Weapons
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: Eisenhower, Copenhagen
FJ: What is Force? :mrgreen: instaget
no way on Earth I'm getting opal out of that DD. :?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:43 pm Penultimate AR12 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6997
For J9 I'd suggest capitalizing Deep, Dark Secret since it's the name of the cocktail.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:43 pm Penultimate AR12 is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6997
For J9 I'd suggest capitalizing Deep, Dark Secret since it's the name of the cocktail.
Yikes, if that is true I wonder how many lower case errors I have for archiving other cocktails?

Not to be rude, but wanting to be sure, can someone else chime in, please?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 pm
Yikes, if that is true I wonder how many lower case errors I have for archiving other cocktails?

Not to be rude, but wanting to be sure, can someone else chime in, please?
In most cases, I could go either way. In this case, it looks odd to me, as though the cocktail is being compared to a deep, dark secret.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This is a little like chess and checkers vs. Life and Monopoly, no?

Manhattan, capitalized, right? (See below!) But Screwball? Bahama mama or Bahama Mama?

The following website has this advice:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educa ... ercase.%3E
Some cocktail names are easy to figure out because they go by the standard capitalization rules. If they don’t include something that would be a proper noun, such as a person’s name or a city name, don’t capitalize them. So “mimosa,” “mudslide,” and “pina colada” are all lowercase. ... Drinks that had a person’s name, a country name, or city name [you would think] would also follow the standard capitalization rules: they’re proper nouns, so they’d be capitalized. But that’s not the case because these names fall into a special category: they’re not literal uses of the proper nouns. For example, most dictionaries and style guides recommend keeping “manhattan” lowercase when it is the name of a cocktail, because even though the name is derived from the city name Manhattan, it’s no longer associated with the city. They also recommend lowercase for “daiquiri,” even though the cocktail name comes from a city named Daiquiri in Cuba. But sometimes it's hard to tell whether the drink name is still associated with a person or place. “Bloody Mary” is sometimes capitalized, for example, because it was the nickname for Queen Mary I of England. But I didn't know that until I looked it up. It turns out Mary I ruled during a time of significant religious strife, and she had so many Protestants killed that they gave her the nickname “Bloody Mary.” You could argue that the cocktail name is capitalized because "Mary" is a name, but "Margarita" is a Spanish name, and yet when you call a drink a margarita, it's lowercase. “White Russian” is also sometimes capitalized. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, “White Russian” is the name of a language and a group of people in the region that used to be Russia. ... Pick a style and be consistent. ... The Chicago Manual of Style has the clearest rule: don’t capitalize these terms unless the names literally refer to the city or person. For example, Chicago says don’t capitalize “swiss cheese” unless you’re talking about cheese that comes from Switzerland. Following the Chicago rules, you wouldn’t capitalize the “french” in “french fries” or the “irish” in “irish coffee.”

Code: Select all

Chicago Manual of Style	AP Stylebook	Merriam-Webster Online
bloody mary		bloody mary	Bloody Mary
manhattan		manhattan	manhattan*
irish coffee		irish coffee	Irish coffee
bellini**		Bellini		Bellini
french fries		french fries	french fries***
swiss cheese		Swiss cheese	Swiss cheese
* The entry includes a note that “manhattan” is often capitalized.

** Inferred from Chicago’s comments about other words and examples.
Me, I have always written French fries, but scotch tape. I need an aspirin (Aspirin?).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 pm This is a little like chess and checkers vs. Life and Monopoly, no?
Spoiler

Manhattan, capitalized, right? (See below!) But Screwball? Bahama mama or Bahama Mama?

The following website has this advice:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educa ... ercase.%3E
Some cocktail names are easy to figure out because they go by the standard capitalization rules. If they don’t include something that would be a proper noun, such as a person’s name or a city name, don’t capitalize them. So “mimosa,” “mudslide,” and “pina colada” are all lowercase. ... Drinks that had a person’s name, a country name, or city name [you would think] would also follow the standard capitalization rules: they’re proper nouns, so they’d be capitalized. But that’s not the case because these names fall into a special category: they’re not literal uses of the proper nouns. For example, most dictionaries and style guides recommend keeping “manhattan” lowercase when it is the name of a cocktail, because even though the name is derived from the city name Manhattan, it’s no longer associated with the city. They also recommend lowercase for “daiquiri,” even though the cocktail name comes from a city named Daiquiri in Cuba. But sometimes it's hard to tell whether the drink name is still associated with a person or place. “Bloody Mary” is sometimes capitalized, for example, because it was the nickname for Queen Mary I of England. But I didn't know that until I looked it up. It turns out Mary I ruled during a time of significant religious strife, and she had so many Protestants killed that they gave her the nickname “Bloody Mary.” You could argue that the cocktail name is capitalized because "Mary" is a name, but "Margarita" is a Spanish name, and yet when you call a drink a margarita, it's lowercase. “White Russian” is also sometimes capitalized. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, “White Russian” is the name of a language and a group of people in the region that used to be Russia. ... Pick a style and be consistent. ... The Chicago Manual of Style has the clearest rule: don’t capitalize these terms unless the names literally refer to the city or person. For example, Chicago says don’t capitalize “swiss cheese” unless you’re talking about cheese that comes from Switzerland. Following the Chicago rules, you wouldn’t capitalize the “french” in “french fries” or the “irish” in “irish coffee.”

Code: Select all

Chicago Manual of Style	AP Stylebook	Merriam-Webster Online
bloody mary		bloody mary	Bloody Mary
manhattan		manhattan	manhattan*
irish coffee		irish coffee	Irish coffee
bellini**		Bellini		Bellini
french fries		french fries	french fries***
swiss cheese		Swiss cheese	Swiss cheese
* The entry includes a note that “manhattan” is often capitalized.

** Inferred from Chicago’s comments about other words and examples.
Me, I have always written French fries, but scotch tape. I need an aspirin (Aspirin?).
Ok, ok. I'm sorry I brought it up.