Thursday, April 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 pm This is a little like chess and checkers vs. Life and Monopoly, no?
Spoiler

Manhattan, capitalized, right? (See below!) But Screwball? Bahama mama or Bahama Mama?

The following website has this advice:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educa ... ercase.%3E
Some cocktail names are easy to figure out because they go by the standard capitalization rules. If they don’t include something that would be a proper noun, such as a person’s name or a city name, don’t capitalize them. So “mimosa,” “mudslide,” and “pina colada” are all lowercase. ... Drinks that had a person’s name, a country name, or city name [you would think] would also follow the standard capitalization rules: they’re proper nouns, so they’d be capitalized. But that’s not the case because these names fall into a special category: they’re not literal uses of the proper nouns. For example, most dictionaries and style guides recommend keeping “manhattan” lowercase when it is the name of a cocktail, because even though the name is derived from the city name Manhattan, it’s no longer associated with the city. They also recommend lowercase for “daiquiri,” even though the cocktail name comes from a city named Daiquiri in Cuba. But sometimes it's hard to tell whether the drink name is still associated with a person or place. “Bloody Mary” is sometimes capitalized, for example, because it was the nickname for Queen Mary I of England. But I didn't know that until I looked it up. It turns out Mary I ruled during a time of significant religious strife, and she had so many Protestants killed that they gave her the nickname “Bloody Mary.” You could argue that the cocktail name is capitalized because "Mary" is a name, but "Margarita" is a Spanish name, and yet when you call a drink a margarita, it's lowercase. “White Russian” is also sometimes capitalized. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, “White Russian” is the name of a language and a group of people in the region that used to be Russia. ... Pick a style and be consistent. ... The Chicago Manual of Style has the clearest rule: don’t capitalize these terms unless the names literally refer to the city or person. For example, Chicago says don’t capitalize “swiss cheese” unless you’re talking about cheese that comes from Switzerland. Following the Chicago rules, you wouldn’t capitalize the “french” in “french fries” or the “irish” in “irish coffee.”

Code: Select all

Chicago Manual of Style	AP Stylebook	Merriam-Webster Online
bloody mary		bloody mary	Bloody Mary
manhattan		manhattan	manhattan*
irish coffee		irish coffee	Irish coffee
bellini**		Bellini		Bellini
french fries		french fries	french fries***
swiss cheese		Swiss cheese	Swiss cheese
* The entry includes a note that “manhattan” is often capitalized.

** Inferred from Chicago’s comments about other words and examples.
Me, I have always written French fries, but scotch tape. I need an aspirin (Aspirin?).
Ok, ok. I'm sorry I brought it up.
Your chance to get out the correcting pen is now with the S2 game just added and only quickly looked over for errors.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:30 pm no way on Earth I'm getting opal out of that DD. :?
On the flip side, I got it solely from the photo.

My copy of The Bartender's Black Book lists the drinks in all caps, so I'm not chirping in on that one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 4/4 on big clues. F=d(mv)/dt.

Missed the clue about the serial killer on film and a robot builder in Westworld. Guessed Ed Harris. Writers had it penned to Anthony Hopkins with Welshman. I like that clue.

I got the Foot-candle clue with no problem. Whenever I see that unit I laugh at it. It's a silly measurement. I was reading about WIlliam Mulholland and the St. Francis Dam collapse because of yesterday's game and I found another unit that I liked, acre-ft. They use it to measure the volume of reservoirs. They can't just use liters I guess. The most egregious unit abomination I saw was in a fracture mechanics class where they actually used the square root of an inch as a unit. I think about that a lot. What does that measure.

The "generally speaking" part of the clue helped me get Eisenhower.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Canberra, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Sarah Paulson, Barbra Streisand, and Faith Hill/Tim McGraw.

You should drink a few of the cocktails before deciding whether or not to capitalize it. That seems fair and reasonable.
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm I said wow wow. Judges?
I don't think so. If you put some twang into it and they misheard you then maybe.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Aaron could finish the season and I would be fine with it. On occasion I think his delivery reminds me of the great comedian Mitch Hedberg with a little dose of Steven Wright. Especially with his "that's it" type of affirmatives.

Instaget FJ, and then thinking "everyone has a 1/26 chance of guessing the letter 'F' :). uh-oh. better change it to "force". It took a couple of seconds to figure out the other 'F"-ing equation and I'm guessing it's not well known that there even is an equation involved that isn't like "Apple plus head = moon in sky" related. What I'm glad is that they didn't ask what is Newton's Second Law or something as I forgot all about the numbering of the laws of motion until this thread discussion.

I will always root for the Civil Rights attorney and school teacher against Project Managers (sorry, Patrick). Poor Ashley ( :lol: ) got an imponderable DD, but it was Patrick in charge. Can any boardies divulge their secret to getting this? I can't keep Onyx, Agate, and Opal straight, but the Onyx I've seen is amazingly beautiful.

One more day, then back to OTA's for Aaron!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:58 pm Can any boardies divulge their secret to getting this? I can't keep Onyx, Agate, and Opal straight, but the Onyx I've seen is amazingly beautiful.
If anybody has a trick I'll second the request for secrets.

I made a memory palace for birthstones and zodiac signs. Doesn't work perfectly but I can list off Garnet/Aquarius, Amethyst/Pisces, Aquamarine/Aries, Diamond/Taurus, Emerald/Gemini, Pearl/Cancer, Ruby/Leo, Peridot/Virgo, Sapphire/Libra, Opal/Scorpio, Topaz/Sagittarius, and Tanzanite/Capricorn. Some of those might even be right. I've read about Opal and Black Opals after missing the clue on another game and managed to get it this time. They ask about gems a lot and I miss them a lot. So I read about them a lot.

Opal is iridescent. Onyx looks shiny.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Newtons measure force. What force is in his equations? Gravity!" 🤦🏼‍♂️
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 pm 46R. 4/4 on big clues. F=d(mv)/dt.
This is a thinking out of the box formulation :lol:. Don't forget to use the momentum term in Einstein's equation (Sorry I don't know how to embed video) :eta - wow, I just pasted the URL, and bang ! Henry is my favorite YouTube guru. Thanks mods for this.
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 pm Missed the clue about the serial killer on film and a robot builder in Westworld. Guessed Ed Harris. Writers had it penned to Anthony Hopkins with Welshman. I like that clue.
I noticed that Aaron didn't give us the "Anthony" first name like he has on many other obvious responses.
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 pm I got the Foot-candle clue with no problem. Whenever I see that unit I laugh at it. It's a silly measurement. I was reading about WIlliam Mulholland and the St. Francis Dam collapse because of yesterday's game and I found another unit that I liked, acre-ft. They use it to measure the volume of reservoirs. They can't just use liters I guess. The most egregious unit abomination I saw was in a fracture mechanics class where they actually used the square root of an inch as a unit. I think about that a lot. What does that measure.
Standard candles is reasonably coherent (pun intended) for the timeframe of the Scientific Revolution, compared to "horsepower" and about 6 definitions for a "gallon", or a "mile". Acre-foot is actually pretty good. I can't think of a good joke for the inch to the one-half power, but anybody who drops some calculus on the board for Newton's law can probably square that circle :).
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 pm Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Canberra, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Sarah Paulson, Barbra Streisand, and Faith Hill/Tim McGraw.
I kind of like this technique for your self-improvement. It also reminds me how bad my attention span is when I don't recognize seeing the reponses.

Sorry for the four-pack quote, but this was a nice post.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone who missed this FJ should make a set of flashcards with the various SI units. This was very much physics 101.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:45 am Anyone who missed this FJ should make a set of flashcards with the various SI units. This was very much physics 101.
I took Biology 101 in college (perhaps my worst final exam experience ever), but I remember doing experiments involving newtons in high school. That's all I remember, not what they measured. Cause that's a long time ago.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Newtons?
That figs...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Australia is pretty Pavlovian for opal.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

(guitarist here)
Nope. And actually, it’s seldom called a “wah wah” anymore, just “wah” is much more common. George Harrison titled a song “Wah Wah” though.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am
(guitarist here)
Nope. And actually, it’s seldom called a “wah wah” anymore, just “wah” is much more common. George Harrison titled a song “Wah Wah” though.
Wikipedia still refers to it as a wah-wah pedal.

floridagator may have been thinking of wow, which is pitch variation as can frequently heard by playing a warped record or a tape played back or recorded from a deck with defective motor or gears. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but to my understanding, spectrally speaking, wow and wah are pretty much the same thing, a sinusoidally sweeping frequency shift. No, the pedal would not be referred to as a "wow" pedal in common parlance, but on a deeper level, what the pedal is doing is causing flutter, which is just another name for faster wow.

My guess is that both "wah" and "wow" share the same onomatopoeic etymological origin.

All gramophones and tape decks have some amount of wow. How much they have is just a matter of component precision, part age, etc. There are some very good digital tools now to do flutter and wow correction.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 am Australia is pretty Pavlovian for opal.
This is pretty much correct for Jeopardy's sake. Good to know.

An Archive search for "australia gem" brings up 5 clues where the correct response is "opal", 1 where it's pearl (my guess for this question; the clue from the Archive also has "white" in it), and 4 clues mentioning Vegemite.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 am
cthulhu wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am
(guitarist here)
Wikipedia still refers to it as a wah-wah pedal.

floridagator may have been thinking of wow, which is pitch variation as can frequently heard by playing a warped record or a tape played back or recorded from a deck with defective motor or gears. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but to my understanding, spectrally speaking, wow and wah are pretty much the same thing, a sinusoidally sweeping frequency shift. No, the pedal would not be referred to as a "wow" pedal in common parlance, but on a deeper level, what the pedal is doing is causing flutter, which is just another name for faster wow.

My guess is that both "wah" and "wow" share the same onomatopoeic etymological origin.

All gramophones and tape decks have some amount of wow. How much they have is just a matter of component precision, part age, etc. There are some very good digital tools now to do flutter and wow correction.
As you correctly state, wow, in the sense of analog tape deck and analog vinyl playback, is a relatively low frequency speed variation in the tape deck capstan or turntable platter drive; it results in a typically sinusoidal frequency shift. (The high frequency counterpart to wow is flutter.)

A wah pedal is a comb filter, the center frequency (and maybe frequency structure) of which is swept by actuating the foot pedal. So the wah pedal is not operating on the same principle as tape deck and turntable wow and flutter.

Another effect, the flanger, is indeed closely related to tape deck wow and flutter, and applies a time-varying frequency shift to the input signal. It originated in the recording studio, when the engineer would physically apply some force to the tape reel’s flange (hence the name) to slow it down unpredictably, and achieve a warbling effect. But flanging is not wah either.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 am floridagator may have been thinking of wow, which is pitch variation as can frequently heard by playing a warped record or a tape played back or recorded from a deck with defective motor or gears. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but to my understanding, spectrally speaking, wow and wah are pretty much the same thing, a sinusoidally sweeping frequency shift. No, the pedal would not be referred to as a "wow" pedal in common parlance, but on a deeper level, what the pedal is doing is causing flutter, which is just another name for faster wow.
I remember when CDs first came out. The technical specs for the players included the entry "Wow & flutter: Below measurable limits".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks for that explanation of the wah pedal, cthulhu. What about wow and whammy? Could the guitarist basically create the wow/flutter effect with periodic pull on the whammy bar (or use of a whammy pedal)?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312805/

This is what I think of when I hear "wow wow".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had low hopes of getting FJ when I saw the category and my hopes sunk lower when I saw the answer. Put down velocity just to have something.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:16 pm Thanks for that explanation of the wah pedal, cthulhu. What about wow and whammy? Could the guitarist basically create the wow/flutter effect with periodic pull on the whammy bar (or use of a whammy pedal)?
Leo Fender, the founder of Fender Electric Instrument Company (now Fender Musical Instruments Co., or FMIC, or just “Fender”), arguably the most important non-musician in the history of popular music since the Second World War, did us all a disservice by confusing tremolo and vibrato, so on Fender guitars, the vibrato mechanism - the whammy bar - is called a tremolo. Vibrato is a variation in pitch; tremolo is a variation in volume. “Whammy bar” avoids the confusion and is memorable to boot, so I fully approve of your usage here :D

That said, yeah, the pitch shift effect from the vibrato mechanism allows the guitarist to increase or decrease the string tension (which we all remember from D’Alembert’s wave equation is an important parameter in the string fundamental frequency) and therefore alter the pitch. A whammy pedal can do the same thing, although more flexibly and precisely - you can even, to a limited degree, electronically alter the tuning of the guitar using a pitch shift pedal. (But real guitarists bend strings ;) )