Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm just not warming to Anderson Cooper. He gets the job done, I suppose. Mostly. This is the second day in a row he hasn't informed a contestant that they can bet up to $1000/$2000 on a DD when the contestant had less than that amount. Today, John had $800 and wagered the full $1000 on the SJ DD, so he didn't need the reminder. Yesterday, Nick had $1800 for a DJ DD and decided to "make it a true Daily Double". Maybe he didn't want to go in the hole, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and the host isn't required to Mirandize the contestant.... But still.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Depending on source, Hawaii can claim as few as 8 or as many as 11 of the Earth’s 14 climate zones. It’s not all beaches and sun.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

As a semi-regular visitor to Florida for the past 30-odd years, I knew full well that it qualifies as subtropical. Instaget FJ. Nice game by Dana. We’ll have to see how much staying power she has as champ.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, &, as of 1947, a National Park

Without subtropical I might have had a shot. Biosphere wasn't any help either, but that is on me. I conflated that with the ill-fated Biosphere in Arizona. 1947 led me to Micronesia or Puerto Rico or whatever territories we might have taken over during WWII occupation. But that put me in the actual tropics, and didn't seem to meet the category. I just went with "Key West" as a WAG. I am surprised at the triple solve, good job by the players.

King of the Hill is for the feebs. We played King of the Mountain, but only had small berms at best. A real wood chip pile like MB described would probably not have ended well

Kelly got a gob-stopper of a DD clue that finished him off, and Dana hit her stride. I had no idea there was a Vancouver dude named after the city in BC.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm I'm just not warming to Anderson Cooper. He gets the job done, I suppose. Mostly. This is the second day in a row he hasn't informed a contestant that they can bet up to $1000/$2000 on a DD when the contestant had less than that amount. Today, John had $800 and wagered the full $1000 on the SJ DD, so he didn't need the reminder. Yesterday, Nick had $1800 for a DJ DD and decided to "make it a true Daily Double". Maybe he didn't want to go in the hole, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and the host isn't required to Mirandize the contestant.... But still.
I love you Opus. missed the videos that can no longer be watched. it had given me much joy to watch them during that time!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 2/4 on big clues. Guessed wrong with Humboldt (German not British). Couldn't come up with the right Meryl Streep movie but tried guessing Julie & Julia. That doesn't really fit. I've read somewhere before that the Everglades was a national park and I've seen it used as an example of
a subtropical climate. Made FJ easy.

Real bad categories for me today. SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' LAST NAMES,RECENT BOOKS, and PANTONE COLORS OF THE YEAR were difficult for me.

I said "By pointing Medusa's head at it" which I'm counting. Not sure exactly what response they were going for there.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Bono, a cat, strep/impetigo, marsala, and Elena Ferrante/pseudonymous.

Mimosa is capitalized in the archive. That discussion died down quickly.

Typically anything that ends in -ase is an enzyme. Typically anything that ends in -ose is a sugar. So for example lactose is a sugar found in milk and lactase is an enzyme people have that helps break down lactose. Lactose intolerant people don't have enough lactase. They may be able to take lactase supplements to alleviate it. If you don't specialize in something with biology, I don't, then you learn practically nothing about it in school and I think there is a big societal problem with biology literacy. I'd like to see Jeopardy! push it even more. I really think we should be trying to teach this and not overpromoting the Carl Sagan/Stephen Hawking/Neil deGrasse Tyson stuff. That stuff is cool too but I haven't seen a healthy balance.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:52 pm If Kelly solved DD2 then he would have broken the lock and added to Dana's pay day unless she blinked when it came to wagering time. What exactly did John Focht do to the champ's spot when he left in February? It's sure working.
My guess is it was James Holzhauer more than John Focht. I'm pretty sure there was a big step-up in competition and preparation after Ken Jennings' run and another step-up after James' run. If everybody is really well prepared then nobody can go on a long streak. The big winners showed everybody else how to prepare.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm ...This is the second day in a row he hasn't informed a contestant that they can bet up to $1000/$2000 on a DD when the contestant had less than that amount. ... Maybe he didn't want to go in the hole, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and the host isn't required to Mirandize the contestant.... But still.
I agree and I'm surprised he did it again today. It might be weird for newcomers to the show. "You have $800 how much do you want to bet" - "I'll bet $1000". I think the host should always give the reminder.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Made one single pre-call before the FJ clue and it was bang on the money. It's funny how these things happen.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm ...This is the second day in a row he hasn't informed a contestant that they can bet up to $1000/$2000 on a DD when the contestant had less than that amount. ... Maybe he didn't want to go in the hole, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and the host isn't required to Mirandize the contestant.... But still.
I agree and I'm surprised he did it again today. It might be weird for newcomers to the show. "You have $800 how much do you want to bet" - "I'll bet $1000". I think the host should always give the reminder.
We have little sympathy for bad wagers but we're supposed to worry that players might not succeed in summoning the basic rules??... :roll:
For FJ, I didn't quite know what subtropical means, but I figured Everglades must qualify...even though the last time I was there, in March some years ago, the temp was in the 40s and the alligators and I were shivering...
My beef with Cooper is the when he named the category NOTHIN' BUT A SILENT G THING, BABY, he put a G on NOTHIN'...!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Um, so I guess no one is going to mention that allegedly Kelly flashed a white power hand gesture during the intros tonight? I don't have a clue how that made it in on air, but it's pretty appalling. :evil:

* changed the wording. I originally said "apparently" and I think "allegedly" is more appropriate.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:46 am Um, so I guess no one is going to mention that apparently Kelly flashed a white power hand gesture during the intros tonight? I don't have a clue how that made it in on air, but it's pretty appalling. :evil:
It's been a storm on the Reddit thread.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:46 am Um, so I guess no one is going to mention that apparently Kelly flashed a white power hand gesture during the intros tonight? I don't have a clue how that made it in on air, but it's pretty appalling. :evil:
Wow, was that it? I saw a mention on a Facebook thread and thought it referred to Dana's matching infinity symbols.

I realized that if "subtropical" meant below the tropic, you'd need something like "supertropical" for the Southern hemi, which I'd never heard of. Realizing though that there are things of which I've never heard, I went with Kilauea after considering Pearl Harbor (I see now that Kilauea is merely part of Hawaiian Volcanoes).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He may have been signaling that he had won three games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:16 am He may have been signaling that he had won three games.
He probably wanted to create the impression he was doing that, but social media stuff seems to indicate there was more to it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, there's lots of evidence he was being deliberate about it. So basically, screw him. And Jeopardy needs to do a much better job. It was unconscionable to leave that in. They should have kicked him off the show immediately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm
We have little sympathy for bad wagers but we're supposed to worry that players might not succeed in summoning the basic rules??... :roll:
It's a rule that doesn't come up every game or even every week and must be summoned up in a second with no time to think about it. Of course I can sympathize. I can sympathize with bad wagers as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:00 am Yeah, there's lots of evidence he was being deliberate about it. So basically, screw him. And Jeopardy needs to do a much better job. It was unconscionable to leave that in. They should have kicked him off the show immediately.
I found his Facebook page and it had a picture of the Rat Pack with Sinatra doing the OK sign. So Kelly’s gesture may have not been so innocent.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Yeah there's no way that was unintentional, and the producers should be more attuned to that kind of garbage.

I saw someone post that the late-night re-air was an old Alex episode and not the current one as it usually is, so someone may have tipped them off belatedly.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When I was on the show, Maggie was clear--no hand signals of any sort. No exceptions. That was a hard and fast rule in the briefing room that day. What happened to that rule?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:15 am When I was on the show, Maggie was clear--no hand signals of any sort. No exceptions. That was a hard and fast rule in the briefing room that day. What happened to that rule?
I never heard of that, but plenty of people have waved or given some sort of gesture.