Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Bamaman »

I had new records for myself in TCA and TMP with 74 and 102 to take fourth in D1 Serengeti. First person out on promotion. Probably for the best as my numbers would have been near the bottom in C1. Staying promoted seems easier than getting promoted.

Congratulations to those at the top of A who qualified for the championships.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 am
The LL website is currently paused while final LL88 results are being tabulated and published. Those results will be available at 2:30am PT.

Thank you for your patience.
I am not a fan of this new development. At all.
Wow it said that? I’ve never seen a time estimate before, what’s up with that? Lucky break for me, I went to bed early for once and just happened to wake up somewhere around 5:50 AM Eastern and the results were there waiting.

Pretty frequently I am there hitting refresh between 2:30 and 3:00 Eastern so that would’ve been a long wait.
Pretty sure the Commish has said that the one behavior he wishes people would alter to make his job simpler is continually hitting Refresh around 11 pm PT/2 am ET in hopes results will post.
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

reddpen wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:17 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 am
The LL website is currently paused while final LL88 results are being tabulated and published. Those results will be available at 2:30am PT.

Thank you for your patience.
I am not a fan of this new development. At all.
Wow it said that? I’ve never seen a time estimate before, what’s up with that? Lucky break for me, I went to bed early for once and just happened to wake up somewhere around 5:50 AM Eastern and the results were there waiting.

Pretty frequently I am there hitting refresh between 2:30 and 3:00 Eastern so that would’ve been a long wait.
Pretty sure the Commish has said that the one behavior he wishes people would alter to make his job simpler is continually hitting Refresh around 11 pm PT/2 am ET in hopes results will post.
This enlightenment endarkened me :(. Are you saying the Commish wants people to refresh impatiently, or wants them to take a chill pill. I didn't even know that late night results chasing was a thing. I'm in Central time zone, so I am happy to open the email in the morning. Late night screen time should be passive and boring. I'm finding that number theory videos work when my eyes are too tired to read.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished with a new personal record TMP (83) and was one correct answer short of a personal best for TCA. Finished 9th in Foundry E so there I will stay for LL89, 2 points out of 5th. The top 5 who made the promotion zone really outclassed the rest of us so I had no chance to get back to D level this time around.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

12/12 on NASA! My first ever sweep of a one day.
I knew I wasn't going to place, VAB felt too lucky a guess for me to drop money on, but -Shepard- was money worthy?! Come on...

Bugatti was terrible negbait for Porsche in Transportation. :D "Name survives as a luxury brand in the VW group?" Check!
Also, EV1 scored that low too?! Geeze...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

That fact about Porsche creating the earliest electric car came up in OQL Pop Solos this past season.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Re: the "Improv" 1DS, I had a mental block on the name "Upright Citizen's Brigade" and actually slept on the questions, hoping it would come to me. And then when it finally did the next morning, it turned out to not even be right for Q8.

Also, I put down Del Close for both Q3 and Q4, but then I moneyed the one that indicated the correct answer was a woman. More like, "No, And" am I right!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Anyone else playing the 2 current MLs? Man the revolution one is hard/obscure with 3 questions under 5% get rate and an overall get rate in the 20% range. I understand making things hard but this has been a bit crazy.

And I think I'm in the worst group ever on ML for the puzzle one. Collectively my group went 4/66 yesterday on a day when the overall get rate was in the 40s... which gives me a chance! I've only figured out the puzzle on 1 day and it didn't help me at all.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I only had two of the Revolutionary War questions correct. I live in SC so Cowpens was easy. I also guessed GW. The puzzle quiz was a bit easier for me.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:42 am Anyone else playing the 2 current MLs? Man the revolution one is hard/obscure with 3 questions under 5% get rate and an overall get rate in the 20% range. I understand making things hard but this has been a bit crazy.

And I think I'm in the worst group ever on ML for the puzzle one. Collectively my group went 4/66 yesterday on a day when the overall get rate was in the 40s... which gives me a chance! I've only figured out the puzzle on 1 day and it didn't help me at all.
The revolutionary one is ridiculously tough. 15 correct answers so far and am 2-4-2. So averaging not even 2 correct per day has netted me 4 days with points.

Really enjoying the puzzle one. Jinxing myself here, but am 6-0-0 so far. Haven't figured out all the puzzles, but fortunately have been better than my opponents every day so far. Helps to only have 16 CAA there, so I think my record is partially due to luck.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I’ve been doing well in the puzzle ML. I hadn’t dropped a single UfPA through the first 4 days, then came crashing back to earth with a 6(5)-7(4) loss. I’ve been getting about half the puzzles but they don’t always help me: I got SPEAK from the shhh one and all 5 clues but couldn’t pull the 1996 hit song for Q6.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Did anyone else fall for Liberia? I was pretty confident and then when I saw Sierra Leone 🇸🇱 I remembered that was the brits’ version of Liberia. I did well with the rest of them.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:20 pm Did anyone else fall for Liberia? I was pretty confident and then when I saw Sierra Leone 🇸🇱 I remembered that was the brits’ version of Liberia. I did well with the rest of them.
Of course...I also didn't rtfq and only put down bartlett and not the full name. Cost me a win but I wasn't making it to the championship so no biggie...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hey, all you gluttons for punishment! My 1DS on Acronyms and Initialisms is live today.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am Hey, all you gluttons for punishment! My 1DS on Acronyms and Initialisms is live today.
Thanks for the heads up!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Relieved to be done with American Revolution. Sheldon's Horse had a 2% get rate on the final Match Day. Welp!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am Hey, all you gluttons for punishment! My 1DS on Acronyms and Initialisms is live today.
Oh, how you taunt us. Partial credit for knowing a few of the words???
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I have a general question about LL. I was in it several years ago; my family came upon hard times financially when my wife got injured and I lost my job, so I had to bow out.

I remember Thorsten saying that he was considering a policy where one cannot rejoin. I no longer get the emails at the end of the seasons asking if I want to rejoin. Did he reinstitute the policy?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 pm I have a general question about LL. I was in it several years ago; my family came upon hard times financially when my wife got injured and I lost my job, so I had to bow out.

I remember Thorsten saying that he was considering a policy where one cannot rejoin. I no longer get the emails at the end of the seasons asking if I want to rejoin. Did he reinstitute the policy?
I don't know the current policy, but he will surely consider special cases, and you might have to go through the newfangled wait list. Write to him directly. Good luck with that. I can give you a referral, but that could ensure the wait list, if it doesn't trigger something first about past players. Best to contact him directly first.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My suspicion though I cannot quote chapter and verse of the new rules is that former players will always have a green light to return and may not be subject to a waiting list. In any event you should definiltely not need a new referral, as long as he can be reasonably certain you are the same person, such as using the same email address as previously used or some other means of verifying identity.