Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His book "An Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859" shows he heeded his own famous advice

Emily Sands: 17200+2399=19599 (3x = $73,000)
Eliza Eaton-Stern: 7400-7400=0
César del Peral: 4000-3401=599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Horace Greeley (Eliza – Mark Twain) (César – Frost)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 2000+2000
Emily: 6600+6600
César: 1600-2000

Coryats
Emily: 10800
Eliza: 7400
César: 6000

Combined: 24,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 5400
Eliza: 3800
César: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

16 clues for Bill's first segment. Each guest host has and will have their own style. The game sounded and played a little differently today as Bill was more low key like Aaron. All 61 clues played so that is the main thing considering how rough the game was in spots.

Some of those stumpers in ALLITERATIVE AUTHORS were easy to see a mile away by that point of the game as I had no expectation of hearing a correct response while I collected the trash.

Emily made the DDs pay off nicely on the way to a lock while without them it was not nearly as dominating as the final scoreboard may indicate.

Clay & Webster were my precalls off the category.

When I saw the clue I attempted a quick solve and was an "in" away from matching Eliza's incorrect response before I realized the switch I needed to make. Emily looked like the cat that ate the canary by the end of the music to leave no doubt she had it right and she knew it was correct.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The fact that TR wasn't yet able to walk in 1859 didn't help that the best I could come up with for the advice line was "speak softly and carry a big [walking] stick"; even if I had thought of the "Go West" line, low probability that I would have been able to match it up with its author (the intended response), so I don't feel bad I didn't hit on the right line of advice.

As an artifact of my own age, whenever I hear the name "Horace Greeley", all I can think of is the Captain Planet villain Hoggish Greedly.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BW one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7014

I think I only had to type "Bill" twice. Once was for correcting a player's mispronunciation and the other was for adding a little about the correct FJ! response.

Anderson definitely had more host add-ons.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Honestly, not really Feeling BIll. Not even in the Interviews. Still, anyones Better than Dr Oz.

Kinda shocked we had 61 clues with all the Misses.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bill Whitaker comes off like a substitute teacher trying a little too hard to ingratiate himself and get the students on his side. Still, not bad for a first shot and he did clear the board. I would've recommended a second take on his read for what should have been "How many countries are IN this country?" But even Alex would often miss inflections like that. I'm getting more and more antsy to find out who my new forever-host is. This is going to be a long two weeks. I think Buzzy and then Mayim will go down a little easier since I already "know" them both.

Got Edict of Nantes and didn't need the category telling me the word starts with E to do it.

Alchemy is a "science" now? I suppose in the broad sense of the term, maybe. And I guess attempts were eventually made to apply the scientific method to the field. But that resulted in the conclusion that there was no science of alchemy to be discovered.

I said the expected "skull" for phrenology. Mrs P said "head". I assume that would have been accepted, but maybe it would get a BMS? She's not sure what she would have done in that case. Panicked, probably. She and I are super-compatible that way.

I've been pronouncing phlogiston wrong my whole life. I mean, it hasn't come up that often and I've only been pronouncing it in my head. But still, a big whiff each time. FLAHG-ih-stahn is how I said it. I snickered when Whitaker said flow-JISS-tun, thinking he'd put the accent on the wrong syllable, mispronounced the first vowel and the g and just generally made a mess of things. Then I looked it up and found out I was the one doing all that.

The TS on a figure of speech comprising Greek words for "over" and "carry" was a rough one. César and Emily were just tossing out guesses with "exaggeration" and "conjunction". But Eliza was a lot closer with "hyperbole" (perhaps influenced by César's "exaggeration"?) Hyperbole comes from the Greek for "beyond" and "throw". I joined her in that neg. I studied Greek in college, but that was only enough to help me decide "hyperbole" was in the ballpark and a good guess. Sadly, I've learned the etymology for metaphor, the correct response, before. More than once, I think. I've forgotten it every time and I expect that to happen again. Check with me in a week or two.

I have read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, so connecting it to Ken Kesey was easy-peasy.

$15,600 in lach trash if I counted right, including four of the six $2000 clues. Still not enough to pull ahead of Emily who made the most of her opportunities. I'm really digging her style of ringing in first and figuring out the response on the fly. That would be a disaster for me, but for a quicker mind, it's a winner.

For FJ I knew exactly the quote they were referring to... and my brain coughed up Horatio Alger. I laughed at the guess of Frost, who was alive for JFK's inauguration 102 years after 1859. And I smiled smugly at the guess of Mark Twain, thinking patronizingly that he wasn't a terrible guess. Then Emily's response of Horace Greely was revealed and I knew I'd done messed up. I wasn't even able to take comfort in knowing that I'd have spelled Greeley correctly if only I hadn't settled so confidently on the wrong response.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Who the #*}%{ is running Guest Host Boot Camp?! Stop saying DOLLARS when reporting the scores!

First impressions of Bill Whitaker - fine? Lose the pause before letting the contestant know she’s right!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked Bill but I agree he was a little over enthusiastic in calling on players and crediting them with a correct response. He also didn’t tell Cesar he could bet $2000. But not a bad debut.

Started with Twain but got the right author pretty quickly.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Emily posted on Reddit that the game took about two hours to record and it did not start taping until 11:30. Add in the players on duty at 7:00 a.m. and understandable that host & players may not be at peak performance.

Tomorrow's game is reported to have only taken 45 minutes so much better for all involved.

Fans are going to be ready for a permanent host by next season and I would think the staff are certainly looking forward to the chosen one who can facilitate a shorter day.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:43 pm Emily looked like the cat that ate the canary by the end of the music to leave no doubt she had it right and she knew it was correct.
Negative poker face
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm Fans are going to be ready for a permanent host by next season and I would think the staff are certainly looking forward to the chosen one who can facilitate a shorter day.
This. Starting to feel better and better about not getting the call during the interregnum - but Cesar’s story about auditioning LAST DECADE gave me much angst about ever getting The Call (again)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm Fans are going to be ready for a permanent host by next season and I would think the staff are certainly looking forward to the chosen one who can facilitate a shorter day.
This. Starting to feel better and better about not getting the call during the interregnum - but Cesar’s story about auditioning LAST DECADE gave me much angst about ever getting The Call (again)
Vijay Balse's gap was what, 13 years between first try and TOC championship? (sorry, Stefan). There could be people from the 80s still trying.

If it's the editing and clear re-recording, the flow of this episode is just incredibly slow. Hopefully it improves over 2 weeks, but man that was a tough watch.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 pm I said the expected "skull" for phrenology. Mrs P said "head". I assume that would have been accepted, but maybe it would get a BMS? She's not sure what she would have done in that case. Panicked, probably. She and I are super-compatible that way.
What would they have done with forehead?!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Six in a row!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 pm I said the expected "skull" for phrenology. Mrs P said "head". I assume that would have been accepted, but maybe it would get a BMS? She's not sure what she would have done in that case. Panicked, probably. She and I are super-compatible that way.
What would they have done with forehead?!
Applied directly to it, of course.

Bill is fine. Low-key like Aaron.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Channels, "E", Olde Science,
DDs: :D :( (need more time) :D
trash: galleys, edict, phlogiston, skull DD (4200)
FJ: Who is Horace Greeley? :mrgreen: instaget
Eliza is gonna hear it from the folks in Greeley, Colorado. :twisted:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 pm Bill Whitaker comes off like a substitute teacher trying a little too hard to ingratiate himself and get the students on his side. Still, not bad for a first shot and he did clear the board. I would've recommended a second take on his read for what should have been "How many countries are IN this country?" But even Alex would often miss inflections like that. I'm getting more and more antsy to find out who my new forever-host is. This is going to be a long two weeks.
This rotating guest host thing kind of feels like speed dating - without the speed
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 pm
(Narrator): 1997 wasn't in the last decade.