Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ACW »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm Since the clue mentioned the "British spelling", I wonder if "Rumors" would have been accepted?
I personally wouldn't allow it.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:34 pm I submitted a correction suggestion.
Accepted. Sorry about that one. I started doing the category in lowercase and did not like it. In switching the clues to uppercase I messed up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:34 pm I submitted a correction suggestion.
Accepted. Sorry about that one. I started doing the category in lowercase and did not like it. In switching the clues to uppercase I messed up.
So you're saying you didn't C the typo in the clue?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tried brainstorming all kinds of British spelled words that sounded like album names but just never landed on the right answer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:29 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm I don't "LV" the apparent typo in the $800 clue.
Oh, wait, was that Mark's typo or the show's? Because that changes everything. I was playing off the Archive and would have easily gotten "LV LCY".

Should there be a note or an erratum? Or the writers are doing a grade school thing of A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Y?

All I know is I don't see a Y.
No erratum necessary in my opinion. The Y in Lucy is 100% a vowel. They were right to omit it. If they'd included it, I'd have suggested a sic though probably not an err.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:02 pm Gotta be her
Here's a pic of the sis
https://www.insidenova.com/news/fairfax ... dc2aa.html
Now that I'm watching the episode, that even looks like they're wearing the same shirt. The collar is a little different, but the color is close.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 pm No erratum necessary in my opinion
No, it had been transcribed wrong in the Archive
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

At the end of the Jeopardy! Round you can catch Whitaker extracting a tissue or hanky from his pocket, I presume to mop sweat. That was something I wish I had had when on that stage.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:35 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 pm No erratum necessary in my opinion
No, it had been transcribed wrong in the Archive
Right. I think Mark's question was whether the now-correct transcription required an erratum to indicate that the clue omitted the letter Y even though Y is (arguably) a consonant. If that wasn't the question, then my response is tangential at best.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, Jamie! I was rooting for you and groaned every time you attempted to throw the game away. I'm glad that didn't work out. Here's a list of the attempts:

DJ4: Jamie talks about a certain club when the rules say you're not supposed to. 8-)

DD2 (DJ19): Jamie bets $3000 in a category that has produced two triple-stumpers with the only get being in the top row. I was yelling "FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!" at the TV to no avail. That was one rough category. I did finally pull the correct response on that DD, but I'm not sure if I did it in time. Under the lights I think I'd have had no chance.

DD3: Jamie bets $4000 which is either too much or not enough. A get will put her $5000 ahead with $5600 left on the board. Why not toss in the extra $601 and seal the deal? That extra amount won't make things any worse if you miss. Well, unless Elliott picks up the three remaining clues in which case the extra $601 you lost gives him a runaway. Huh. So betting more's probably not the way to go. I'm thinking $3001 is optimal? Hmmm. This requires more thought than anyone other than Roger Craig would have the guts to put into it. Maybe her bet was ok. Anyway, she got it right and now Elliott needs to pick up the three remaining clues, or...

DJ28: Jamie helps Elliott out by ringing in on this clue and missing it, putting him $2000 closer to his goal of overtaking her. He picks up the final two clues and succeeds. Now she needs him to miss FJ... or does she?

FJ: Jamie needs to bet small from second place. I'd recommend $599 to keep Hanna shut out. A get puts her only $1 below Elliott, but first place almost never wagers zero. This seems safe. And... I'd have lost her the game. Elliott's interesting wager would have won him the game as long as Jamie missed FJ or got FJ but made a rational decision to wager conservatively. Was he right and just unlucky? Assuming this was his strategy, was there a better wager he could have made? Even if there was, it wouldn't have won him this game against Jamie's huge wager and FJ get. Sometimes people counter the wagering police by pointing out that it's all just a matter of chance since you don't know what the other person is going to wager. This kind of "logic" drives us nuts because it's mathematically provable that some wagers are objectively better than others in certain definable circumstances. The situation in this game is, at the very least, not the best example to start with.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Has anybody ever done the research on whether 2nd goes big or not in Faith Love scenario games?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 pm

FJ: Jamie needs to bet small from second place. I'd recommend $599 to keep Hanna shut out. A get puts her only $1 below Elliott, but first place almost never wagers zero. This seems safe. And... I'd have lost her the game. Elliott's interesting wager would have won him the game as long as Jamie missed FJ or got FJ but made a rational decision to wager conservatively. Was he right and just unlucky? Assuming this was his strategy, was there a better wager he could have made? Even if there was, it wouldn't have won him this game against Jamie's huge wager and FJ get. Sometimes people counter the wagering police by pointing out that it's all just a matter of chance since you don't know what the other person is going to wager. This kind of "logic" drives us nuts because it's mathematically provable that some wagers are objectively better than others in certain definable circumstances. The situation in this game is, at the very least, not the best example to start with.
Just being honest, even being fully aware of the hypothetically optimal wager here, I would have matched Jamie's bet as well as Classic Albums is a dream category for me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

SJ30 was "Secretary of State Hamilton Fish made this, the settling of disputes by a third party, a standard part of diplomacy". They accepted and were presumably looking for "mediation". Mrs P guessed "arbitration". Judges?

FJ fell into my lap. The category plus the year 1977 early in the clue made me think of the correct response. All that remained was watching that response look better and better as I scanned to the end of the clue. I didn't purchase the album until years later, but I was certainly aware of it at the time and could easily identify the cover with the title removed. I eventually bought it on CD. So depending on the wording, I might get to check a box about this on the weekly poll.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bob78164 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 pm
AntmanB wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 pmApparently we Need to bring The Final Wager Back. i dont get all the Bad Wagering Lately.
Elliott's wager wasn't necessarily bad although it obviously didn't work out. He apparently didn't have confidence in the category and bet to keep Hanna locked out. --Bob
A bet of $0 from the lead wouldn’t have been horrible as second place might well have bet $599.

No chance for me on FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm I think Mark's question was whether the now-correct transcription required an erratum...
No, Mark's message was before he realized about the mistranscription.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think I saw Elliott mouth "I love you" when he lost.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 pm SJ30 was "Secretary of State Hamilton Fish made this, the settling of disputes by a third party, a standard part of diplomacy". They accepted and were presumably looking for "mediation". Mrs P guessed "arbitration". Judges?
I matched your wife's answer and immediately counted it wrong, but a cursory Wikipedia glance suggests it may well be a better answer than "mediation".
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 pm FJ: Jamie needs to bet small from second place. I'd recommend $599 to keep Hanna shut out. A get puts her only $1 below Elliott, but first place almost never wagers zero. This seems safe. And... I'd have lost her the game. Elliott's interesting wager would have won him the game as long as Jamie missed FJ or got FJ but made a rational decision to wager conservatively. Was he right and just unlucky? Assuming this was his strategy, was there a better wager he could have made? Even if there was, it wouldn't have won him this game against Jamie's huge wager and FJ get. Sometimes people counter the wagering police by pointing out that it's all just a matter of chance since you don't know what the other person is going to wager. This kind of "logic" drives us nuts because it's mathematically provable that some wagers are objectively better than others in certain definable circumstances. The situation in this game is, at the very least, not the best example to start with.
I can see the math behind his decision, but when it comes to what to wager from first place, my mantra is basically this:

Always bet on yourself

Everyone has their good categories and their bad. Heck, I went into this category thinking this would be my first FJ miss of the week. But guess what, I surprised myself and got it right.

Again, I see the Faith Love strategy and I get the idea. But we've all seen that people on the stage are not Watson. The only correct wager IMO from first place was $15,601. Get it right, guarantee the win.

At the end of the day, speaking as a hopeful contestant, I know when I make it on the show that I deserve to be there. I won't make it because someone else did poorly on their audition and I was just the best of a bad bunch; I'll make it I'm good enough and smart enough (and gosh darnit, people like me... :P ). And my wagering will reflect that, as it should for everyone who reaches those podiums.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 pm SJ30 was "Secretary of State Hamilton Fish made this, the settling of disputes by a third party, a standard part of diplomacy". They accepted and were presumably looking for "mediation". Mrs P guessed "arbitration". Judges?
100% acceptable.

Took about 5 seconds for me, but I was able to come up with Rumours.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm
100% acceptable.
It's questionable to me whether mediation should have been accepted. Maybe by a broad dictionary definition mediation fits the clue, but mediation and arbitration are certainly distinct in the modern legal system, and what Fish set up was an arbitration system.