Think Different #151: Fun & Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different #151: Fun & Games

Post by jeff6286 »

Welcome to my 3rd go-around hosting the venerable jboard game known as Think Different. this game's theme is fun & games, as I have questions relating to parks, board games, video games, game shows, Olympic games, and much, much more! (Okay, not that much more.) Some of these questions are a little vague and quite open-ended, so there is sure to be controversy aplenty when the answers get revealed. Be sure to get your entry in now to make sure that you get to be a part of it! Should any major issues or disagreements arise, as the host of the game I do retain the right to alter any rules at any time should I feel it necessary. While I will listen to any or all arguments, decisions of the host WILL BE FINAL! *Bangs gavel* (Unless you think I'm being stupid, in which case, please let me know.) (nicely please)

The Rules:

1. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD! Send them to me by private message.

2. Deadline for submissions is 10:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, July 18, 2012.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.

a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may use a DROP for one question. By answering DROP, your score for that question will be 0.

5. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain. No research! However, if, in the course of your normal activities you happen to learn something useful between the time you read the questions and the time you submit your answers, that new knowledge is fair game.

6. The first tiebreaker will be the number of Singletons, then the number of Doubletons. Should these fail to settle the tie, the next tiebreaker will be which player has the highest imdb score for the tv show or movie given as an answer in question #6. If your show/movie has no score at imdb, then sorry, you get a 0. If you used a DROP on that question, then you also get a 0. Should there be multiple shows/movies with the same title, then I will use whichever has the higher imdb score, just to be nice. Yes, I know this is silly, but the odds of it coming into play are pretty slim, although now I'm kind of hoping that it does.

7. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Re: Think Different #151: Fun & Games

Post by jeff6286 »

1. Name a theme park that was one of the top 20 most visited theme parks in North America in the last 3 years. I have found complete lists for 2009 and 2010, and am still working on finding the full list for 2011. Any park that made the top 20 in any of the last 3 years will be allowed, though there don't appear to be many changes to this list in most years. Disney, Universal Studios, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, and Sea World (and probably some othe companies) all run multiple theme parks, so make sure you indicate which one you're referring to if you go with one of these chains. Walt Disney World is not a correct answer, as it has multiple parks on its property, all of which are considered separately for this list. There are no water parks on the list, though some parks on the list may have water parks associated with them, and of course most parks have at least some sort of water rides. (Sea World is not considered a water park.)

2. Speaking of parks...Name a National Park of the United States or Canada.

3. Name an Avenue which occupies a space on the gameboard in the traditional American version of the board game Monopoly. There are 28 properties in the game, including 4 railroads and 2 utilties, leaving 22 properties belonging to the 8 color groups. Of these 22 spaces, there are 3 "Places", Marvin Gardens, and Boardwalk, leaving 17 "Avenues". Name one of them. The names of the Avenues in the standard edition of Monopoly have remained unchanged since at least 1935, so there shouldn't be any issues with alternate answers.

4. Name one of the 6 original suspects or 6 original weapons in the English language version of the board game Clue (or Cluedo). If you've played a version of the game with more than 6 suspects or more than 6 weapons, then some of those are additions to the original 6 of each, so be careful, they may not be correct answers for this question.

5. There are 101 two-letter words currently deemed acceptable in Scrabble. Give a four-letter word (also acceptable in Scrabble) that is made up of two of these two-letter words. No rearranging of letters, the word must contain one two-letter word followed by a second two-letter word.

6. This question gives you two choices: (a) Name a television game show that was based on a board game. or (b) Name a theatrically-realeased movie that had the same title as a pre-existing board game. (The movie does not have to be in any way connected to the board game, just share the same title.) In both cases the board game has to have been released first, so home-game versions of established game shows like Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, or Pyramid don't count, and board games inspired by previously released films don't count, such as games based on Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. For purposes of this question, a board game doesn't necessarily have to involve a board. Any game that is sold in a box, and would generally be placed on store shelves in the same area where board games are found will be acceptable. As far as obscure or little-known game shows, movies, or board games go, as long as I can find (or you can provide) some proof of existence, I will allow answers, however obscure, but the one caveat is that any answer must have been available in the United States, either on American television, in American movie theaters, or sold in American stores. So if there was a Brazilian horror film titled Hungry Hungry Hippos, sorry, that doesn't count, but please, find me a copy. One more thing, please indicate whether you are answering (a) or (b), as it is possible that both a game show and a movie share the same title, and I will treat both as separate answers.

7. Name someone who was the winner of a Tournament of Champions during the Alex Trebek era of Jeopardy!, or someone who won one million dollars (or more) on the Regis Philbin version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. (This does not include winners from the syndicated Meredith Vieiera version of the show, or the one player who won a million on Who Wants to Be a Super Millionaire, as this was not the top prize on that show.)

8. Name a video game with "Super Mario" in the title. These can be games released for home consoles, handheld game systems, arcade games, computer games, as long as I can find any evidence of its existence I will allow it. Note that there are many games with "Mario" in the title that do not have "Super" in front of it, including games in series such as Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, and Dr. Mario. *EDIT* I should have included this originally, but the words "Super Mario" must be in that order, with nothing between them in the game's title.

9. Name a computer game or video game with "Sim" or "Sims" in its title. There are many different types of games possible for this question, including standalone games, sequels, spinoffs, expansion packs, repackaged deluxe editions, and probably other types that I can't find a name for. I don't intend to disqualify any answers on technicalities. As long as I can find some evidence of a game exisiting under a given title, I plan to allow it.

10. One of the most high-pressure types of games are the Olympic Games, held every 4 years for atheltes from around the globe. One of the premier sports in every Summer Olympics is swimming. Name a swimming event that was contested at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The general guideline for the name of an event is distance+stroke. So the "250 Meter Doggy Paddle" could be an Olympic event, although I'll give you a hint right now and tell you that it isn't. There are relay races as well, but be sure to give the precise name of the event you're choosing. You don't need to specify Men's or Women's, as all races with the same distance and stroke will be considered the same answer, and with just a couple of exceptions, the program of Men's races is identical to the Women's program.

11. Meanwhile, in the Winter Olympics, many of the marquee events come from Alpine Skiing, Freestyle Skiing, and Snowboarding. Name an event from one of these 3 disciplines that was held at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Again, no need to specify Men's or Women's, since all of the events are the same for both. (Nordic Skiing events are not included in this question, and that class includes Cross-Country Skiing, Ski Jumping, Nordic Combined, and the Biathlon.)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

We had 44 entries to this game:

MarkBarrett
Creed Bratton
mennoknight
jpahk
gamawire
soxfan99
Paucle
Turd Ferguson
plasticene
dhkendall

Rackme32
WRV
amorris525
katiedidwhat (first time player!)
Woof
SkeeBallRaif
Dzul
tjconn728 (another first timer!)
the_phil
immaf

Magna
crazymatt1
Peggles
Le Master
Vanya
bgm
econgator
teapot37
Woppy T
mitchparov

ClosingTime (yet another first time player)
rjaguar3
Bamaman
spell4yr
BoK
cheezguyty
goforthetie
xxaaaxx
jkbrat
billy pilgrim

debramc
lisa0012
RandyG
TheGrandPiano
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:Questions will go here, should be posted sometime Monday morning.
Hmm, if answers have to be submitted by 9am Tuesday 7/17, that doesn't leave us much time if the game is being posted sometime Monday morning July 16th! :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would it be cheating to look up imdb scores before the questions are posted?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

That's what I'm doing- memorizing the IMdB score of every show/ movie!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote:That's what I'm doing- memorizing the IMdB score of every show/ movie!
You could narrow it down to only those movies and shows that have something to do with fun and/or games.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Magna wrote:
Paucle wrote:That's what I'm doing- memorizing the IMdB score of every show/ movie!
You could narrow it down to only those movies and shows that have something to do with fun and/or games.
So we can rule out Battleship, then.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

Volante wrote:So we can rule out Battleship, then.
I assumed you could do that already, considering its IMDB score was the tiebreaker.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Magna wrote:
Should we try to guess what question 6 was (will be)?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:
Magna wrote:
Should we try to guess what question 6 was (will be)?
I think we should try and guess which Monday he's referring to ...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

...and I'm back

So, strange story, I couldn't load jboard for the past day and a half. I was finalizing the question and getting ready to post Monday around 11 AM, when suddenly the site was coming up as not being able to connect. I thought maybe the site was down due to the server issues bpmod posted about on Sunday, didn't think much of it, but then Monday evening and night it still wouldn't load, and then Tuesday morning, while the page itself wouldn't load, I could view google's snapshot of the page, which showed 60 posts in Monday's game thread, making it obvious that everyone else was able to access the site, just not me. I could access many other internet sites, just not this one. Eventually tonight I started googling random queries like "can't load one particular website", and eventually found a helpful tip that "This problem occurs when viewing the same site over a router from more that one computer or application at the same time for a period of time. This activates something in the server software that puts your IP address on a so called "BANNED LIST".

Aha! When the problem first occurred, I was working on my desktop and laptop, as I had written some of my TD questions on both, and I had jboard up on both computers at the same time, apparently causing my IP address to be banned by the board's server. So then I had to google and find out if I could change my IP address. My internet access is through AT&T U-Verse, and some people claim that you can't change your IP with U-Verse, while others had methods that might cause it to change, but no guarantees. So after messing around with my wireless gateway, resetting it (I think) to factory settings, cycling the power off and on, eventually I did end up with a new IP address, and ~Voila~ jboard is back up and running. So sorry guys, you tried to get rid of me, but [Costanza]I'm BACK, baby![/Costanza]

Questions will be posted shortly, and thanks a lot, Volante, for ruining someone's singleton by throwing Battleship out there. ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Questions will be posted shortly, and thanks a lot, Volante, for ruining someone's singleton by throwing Battleship out there. ;)
If anyone gets a singleton from Battleship, they should lose on general principles! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

General Principles? What war did that guy fight in? :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Love all this by-play. This is shaping up to be the best TD yet!!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Rackme32 wrote:General Principles? What war did that guy fight in? :)
The Civil War, of course. He was the most civil of them all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:...and I'm back
or not ..... ;)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Okay, I'm back again after my IP address got banned again last night. I think I figured out why it happened, but I still can't access jboard from home because I can't get my AT&T U-verse gateway to change IP address a second time. I am now online at my parents' house, and hopefully when I get home I will be able to get my IP address to change. If not, then I won't be able to respond to any questions regarding these TD questions, possibly until Friday, so if you do have a question, please be patient. Meanwhile, I am wondering if someone, maybe alietr or bpmod, could possibly look into this issue of my IP address being banned, and see if this is something that can possibly be undone. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, could you contact me by e-mail? mods or admins should be able to see my e-mail address. If anyone else has any advice for this situation, if you send me a PM on the board, the board will send me an e-mail showing me the contents of the PM, so I can see anything sent by PM even if I can't access the board.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, and I look forward to lots of entertaining answers to this TD.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

This may be the first TD where I can give multiple answers to every question. In some ways, it makes it easier, but I know I'll end up kicking myself when the answer I chose is a sheep and another answer I'm considering is a singleton. Great questions.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

soxfan99 wrote:This may be the first TD where I can give multiple answers to every question. In some ways, it makes it easier, but I know I'll end up kicking myself when the answer I chose is a sheep and another answer I'm considering is a singleton. Great questions.

I was thinking the same thing.