Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:10 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 pm 23R. 2/4 on big clues. Wow bad day for me. Couldn't pull Sabin. Didn't know where the James River was. Got Faulkner.

American authors with Nobel Prizes in Literature: Sinclair Lewis, Eugene O'Neill, Pearl Buck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Saul Bellow, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Czeslaw Milosz, Joseph Brodsky, Toni Morrison, Bob Dylan, Louise Gluck.

I'm surprised that Veronica got negged for the palatine clue. The archive has her saying "palantine" but I can't hear an extra "n". I heard it pronounced with "teen" instead of "tine" which I would have thought was acceptable. I think she said "Levi" instead of "Levi's" which I would have thought was more likely to be marked wrong.
She did say palan-teen with the n, and Levi with no s.
My ears plus the CCer can always add up to things not quite right in the archive. I've listened again and read comments across several forums. Levi's is now Levi and I've added a note for the hill neg that I'm hopeful will help to clear up what happened a bit. What would have been really helpful would have been for Buzzy to be more clear about why Veronica was negged, or if he did say it, then for the editor to not have clipped it.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

https://imgur.com/a/wvEedQg

It's muted by default click the speaker icon to unmute it. I can't hear an extra "n" but my ears aren't a good judge.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The entire game turned on Ryan not knowing Salk and Sabin. Ask me a nuanced question about which one of them did what, and I will have to make a wag, but I definitely get them both if you're asking for them together.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

Can't say I am too sad to see Ryan go. Maybe its just confidence, but he came off way too cocky for me. Veronica came off very humble to me and I really enjoyed seeing how emotional she got from winning. I think I might be rooting for her in the final.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $26,200

34 R (2 DDs), 3 W. Missed Richmond because I got the James and Charles rivers confused and said Boston.

FJ: :mrgreen: Took about ten seconds from going from All The King's Men based on the year to focusing on "county".

LT: The Last Hurrah, moonroof, Volkswagen, cauliflower, Stone Temple Pilots, Salk and Sabin (DD), Cage the Elephant, polkas

Felt really bad for Ryan, he doesn't shy away from showing emotion and missing that second Daily Double ripped his heart out. On the other hand, extremely well done by Veronica. People were vastly underestimating her and she has done fantastic so far. Can't wait to see her in the finals.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was a very exciting game to watch. Ryan gave it his all, but that DD miss was costly. Veronica did look like she was ready to vomit when she announced her TDD and ready to cry after her victory but she played a rock solid game. I found the DJ boards fit my eye better than the earlier boards did. I couldn’t piece FJ together and ended up saying Steinbeck for lack of a better answer.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

oof. just about the worst game i've ever played. -600 after single jeopardy, and -2200 after double jeopardy.
perhaps my dementia is coming closer and faster.
the only "elephant" band i could recall is "elephant's memory," who backed john lennon and yoko ono.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:40 pm https://imgur.com/a/wvEedQg

It's muted by default click the speaker icon to unmute it. I can't hear an extra "n" but my ears aren't a good judge.
I heard it in real time, and I hear it in this clip.
Setho wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:44 pm Can't say I am too sad to see Ryan go. Maybe its just confidence, but he came off way too cocky for me. Veronica came off very humble to me and I really enjoyed seeing how emotional she got from winning. I think I might be rooting for her in the final.
Shaquebanisa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:09 am Felt really bad for Ryan, he doesn't shy away from showing emotion and missing that second Daily Double ripped his heart out. On the other hand, extremely well done by Veronica. People were vastly underestimating her and she has done fantastic so far. Can't wait to see her in the finals.
Although I sometimes found Ryan to be annoying, my opinion aligns more with Shaquebanisa than with Setho. In today's interview, Ryan admitted to being shy and awkward, and (IMHO) his behavior in both games is what "heart on his sleeve" looks like for someone with his personality. For many years, I taught at a school with a majority of engineering majors (and I got my B.S. at a similar school), and I knew many students whose intensity could be mistaken for cockiness.

Mad props to Veronica! I managed to get Faulkner, but my reasoning wasn't as solid as it should have been--I knew that he was southern from about the right time and seemed like the kind of author who might have won a Nobel, but I didn't make the "county" connection.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:50 pm That's the way to show rankers what to do with their bronze status. Well done indeed by Veronica.
As someone who agreed with your bronzing choice for her, I seriously reconsidered after her QF. I had sort of turned her into Melizza Zygmunt in my mind by virtue of her being the lowest earning 4xer of her ToC, but Veronica's earnings were more than four times Melizza's.

The clue felt to me like it was describing an American novel, and "white conscience" made me think of the South. The only Southern Nobel literature laureate I could think of (maybe the only one altogether) was Faulkner. And then I saw "county" and I knew it had to be him.
There was a J!Board error when I posted this, and it ended up double posting, so I deleted the second one. But now when I search for this post by words in it, it doesn't come up. (I can find it by searching for my posts, but searching "bronzing," for example, yields nothing. It will yield this post, though!)
yclept

Post by yclept »

Veronica was impressive, as was Ryan. Kevin just couldn’t get anything going.

I wonder if Veronica studied hard for this tournament. Her regular run was obviously solid. She beat a good 2-day champion in her first game, etc. However, she has really turned it up a few notches in the TOC. She hung with Sam, got past Ryan, etc. It would be pretty amazing if, in a tournament featuring three female super champs, she emerged as the only finalist and perhaps even the winner. We’ll see what happens tomorrow with Jennifer as she battles one of the best super champs in history, looking for his redemption after a tough Game 1.

This has been a fun tournament and the final promises to be a good one, regardless of who gets there with Sam and Veronica...
Leander

Post by Leander »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 pm

I'm surprised that Veronica got negged for the palatine clue. The archive has her saying "palantine" but I can't hear an extra "n". I heard it pronounced with "teen" instead of "tine" which I would have thought was acceptable. I think she said "Levi" instead of "Levi's" which I would have thought was more likely to be marked wrong.
The clue asked for the company, which is Levi Strauss.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:48 am
Although I sometimes found Ryan to be annoying, my opinion aligns more with Shaquebanisa than with Setho. In today's interview, Ryan admitted to being shy and awkward, and (IMHO) his behavior in both games is what "heart on his sleeve" looks like for someone with his personality. For many years, I taught at a school with a majority of engineering majors (and I got my B.S. at a similar school), and I knew many students whose intensity could be mistaken for cockiness.
On consideration, I agree. I can be big that way.

I always felt sort of bad that Sabin was so little recognized compared to Salk. He was after all the man who wiped polio all but out. I was also sorry that I forgot to read his NY Times obit before throwing the paper out, but it's now available on their wayback machine, so I'll make sure not to miss this chance.

I also bit on "Adolphus" Coors. Aside from his lack of a -us, he's probably shy a few great-s. And Elephant's Memory, who I remember best from "Old Man Willow" playing at the drug party in Midnight Cowboy.

I guess "see-through glass" was around before 1973.

Adolf Anderssen played both the Immortal Game and the Evergreen Game, you know. WHAT MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO?
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:20 am Adolf Anderssen played both the Immortal Game and the Evergreen Game, you know. WHAT MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO?
He never got his picture on a bubble gum card. Have you ever seen his picture on a bubble gum card? Hmmm?

Alternate: I hear red wigs are all the rage for his profession these days...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:48 amAlthough I sometimes found Ryan to be annoying, my opinion aligns more with Shaquebanisa than with Setho. In today's interview, Ryan admitted to being shy and awkward, and (IMHO) his behavior in both games is what "heart on his sleeve" looks like for someone with his personality. For many years, I taught at a school with a majority of engineering majors (and I got my B.S. at a similar school), and I knew many students whose intensity could be mistaken for cockiness.
Yep, that's what I saw too. Ryan had the look of someone who was 100% focused on the game at hand, to the extent that would even make someone forget they're on national television.

I'd probably be exactly the same way.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:20 am

Adolf Anderssen played both the Immortal Game and the Evergreen Game, you know. WHAT MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO?
Though later computer analysis has suggested the Immortal Game was actually played inaccurately by Anderssen.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Albany and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatine_Bridge,_New_York in the same game!

Add the Faulkner solve for FJ and it was a good night. I got there the same way Kirk did, and only noticed the county clue on reveal.

Not sorry to see Ryan go, and found the golf clap at the end telling, but I do really feel for him. He played to win and almost surely would have if not for Sabin. Excellent player.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm I got Faulkner on a stone cold guess. "County" is the TOM, though it isn't obvious.
It didn't help that I played the Final clue from the Board post and misread "county" as "country".

If I had read the clue right (or had the benefit of Buzzy reading it to me), it would have been a slam dunk. As it was, I was left scratching my head for 30 seconds.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm I got Faulkner on a stone cold guess. "County" is the TOM, though it isn't obvious.
It didn't help that I played the Final clue from the Board post and misread "county" as "country".

If I had read the clue right (or had the benefit of Buzzy reading it to me), it would have been a slam dunk. As it was, I was left scratching my head for 30 seconds.
Commisserations. My brain read "Nobel" as "Pulitzer" and I was trying to think of a familiar novel.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:05 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:45 pm

It looks like the book in the clue is Intruder in the Dust, which isn't on my flashcards, even though just about everything else by Faulkner is.
Wow, that is one stealthily hidden TOM. I went with Richard Wright, thinking 1940s author + race relations.
Not sure I'd agree that "county" was the TOM. Everything about the wording pointed to Faulkner for me.
+1
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:05 pm Not sure I'd agree that "county" was the TOM. Everything about the wording pointed to Faulkner for me.
Nobody else in the '40s wrote about murder cases or race issues?