Monday, May 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Another superchamp goes down...and Sam clobbered his competition.

First was 8-time champ MacKenzie Jones in the quarterfinals, now 8-time champ Karen Farrell in the semis. The superchamps are getting swatted like flies.

Boy, Sam showed no mercy to earn the 1st spot into the finals. Ryan couldn't catch a break and Karen couldn't find her rhythm.

I mean, once Sam got the DD right, that made it extremely hard for Ryan or Karen to play catchup with what was left on the board, should Karen and Ryan try and do just that.

Why does part of me think that most of us could see a Ryan Bilger .vs. Sam Kavanaugh rematch in the finals? I get the sense it'd probably be more EPIC than the Emma .vs. James one from the 2019 ToC. I could be wrong, but...wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Just depends on how tomorrow goes. Let's see if Ryan can show the same dominance he displayed in his quarterfinal match and bring it in the semifinal one.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr: Sam ... um, um, Neill!
Mrs. alietr: Sam Elliott.
Buzzy: Who is Sam Elliott.
Mrs. alietr: Every woman knows who Sam Elliott is.

Bogus FJ. If they were going to use it during the tourney, it should have been used last week.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:08 am Mrs. alietr: Every woman knows who Sam Elliott is.
Hell, yeah.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Saw "Nighthawks" in person a few years ago, but this was an instaget even failing that if you're even moderately familiar with the J! canon.

Turning point: Gaul.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Picked Off wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:07 am Saw "Nighthawks" in person a few years ago, but this was an instaget even failing that if you're even moderately familiar with the J! canon.
I thought we might have once had "I have seen Nighthawks in person" as a poll question, but I can't see that there has ever been a Nighthawks FJ! before. Nighthawks did come up on the show as recently as the first post-Trebek-era game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess I am the idiot who had no clue on FJ.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

The year and the fact that it's his most famous work points to Nighthawks, but Automat (1927) and Chop Suey (1929) are two other well-known Hopper paintings set in restaurants.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I knew exactly what painting they were referring to but had no idea what it was called. This is unfortunately all too common for me. Wrote down Dogs Playing Poker just to have something :lol:
yclept

Post by yclept »

It was tight at the first commercial break. Ryan misses a Daily Double, and it appears that is when Sam went into buzzsaw mode as he started to open up a lead that he wouldn’t relinquish in DJ.

Karen just couldn’t keep up with Sam’s buzzer speed. She tried to make a late run but it was way too late.

Sam was not a Super Champ, but he did rake in $156K over five shows. Hardly a surprise that he has amazed over $20K heading into FJ in both of his TOC games.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nserven wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 am The year and the fact that it's his most famous work points to Nighthawks, but Automat (1927) and Chop Suey (1929) are two other well-known Hopper paintings set in restaurants.
Where's the automat in Automat? I want my money back.

It seems Jo appears five times in three paintings.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:20 am
nserven wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 am The year and the fact that it's his most famous work points to Nighthawks, but Automat (1927) and Chop Suey (1929) are two other well-known Hopper paintings set in restaurants.
I've been to an Automat. That ain't no Automat.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

alietr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:08 amMrs. alietr: Every woman knows who Sam Elliott is.
I can name one woman who didn't know who Sam Elliott is.

No problem with Final Jeopardy, because I used to use this as my desktop wallpaper.

davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:51 pm
I'm going to guess you weren't in that Automat in 1927...
btw, there's a quote in Wikipedia that takes us back to another FJ from earlier in the season...
Spoiler
the title, rather than any detail within the picture, is what identifies the restaurant as an automat."[3] Troyen continues on, however, to note a number of features which would have made the restaurant identifiable to a New Yorker of the 1920s: "They were clean, efficient, well-lit and—typically furnished with round Carrera marble tables and solid oak chairs like those shown here—genteel. By the time Hopper painted his picture, automats had begun to be promoted as safe and proper places for the working woman to dine alone."[3]
btw, an Automat of sorts has opened in NY, trying to take advantage of the reticence over human interaction nowadays-
https://www.grubstreet.com/2021/05/broo ... tomat.html
"
Last edited by davey on Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm Automat of sorts
If the food isn't already prepared such that you can see it before you pay for it, I wouldn't call that an automat.

Some YouTube links to classic movie clips:
Spoiler

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:08 am
Bogus FJ. If they were going to use it during the tourney, it should have been used last week.
That doesn't really make sense. It's repeated pretty often that great effort should be made to have all of the quarterfinal FJs reasonably similar in difficulty. (The overall boards too but especially the Finals.) Putting this in the quarterfinals gives an automatic get for THREE players and in many instances means they all get to advance, making half of the four wildcards come from the same game.

An easy FJ in a Semifinal is usually going to make for a win for the leader, the player who already outplayed their opponents. Hardly the worst thing in the world though I agree with the overall point that this Final as written was too easy for any TOC spot.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm Automat of sorts
If the food isn't already prepared such that you can see it before you pay for it, I wouldn't call that an automat.

Some YouTube links to classic movie clips:
Spoiler

I imagine the thought is that people want their food to order these days...My own main objection is that they only serve dumplings...(and spring rolls?) And the review calls them "underwhelming (too soft and too starchy, vaguely airline-like)"...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm
alietr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:51 pm
I'm going to guess you weren't in that Automat in 1927...
No, definitely not. But Horn & Hardart's were still operating in the 60's and into the mid-70's.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:53 pm A correction came in to capitalize "mom" on this clue: It's the leading segment of an army's forces, as mom & her soccer kids know

Accept or reject? If yes, then please teach me a grammar rule unfamiliar to me.
If "mom" or "dad" (etc.) is used as a name (referring to a specific person) then it is capitalized.

The application of that rule to this particular case, where the person being referred to is sort of a hypothetical mom, I am not so clear about.
In this case I think you'd capitalize Mom because it's being used as her name even though she's hypothetical.
In and out of the pool four times
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What was the last word or two of Brad Rutter's special message to the semifinalists?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

hansenkd wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:49 pm KDVR in Denver messed up. No sound for first segment, then went to Wheel of Fortune after sound returned during commercial. I'll have to "find" it now. Argh!
That was annoying, missing out on the structure of the game. I usually play from the archive top-down, but that didn't match the little I saw of the show, so I'm sure the dynamics were very different.

Even playing from the archive, though, I had to think that Montgomery was hugely overvalued as the bottom clue in "Newer History Books," especially since he was identified as a British field marshal.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.