Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by RandyG »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:44 am I'm curious what others guessed for the station wagon question. I put limousine.
Same
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:19 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:44 am I'm curious what others guessed for the station wagon question. I put limousine.
Same
Went with hearse over limousine. What led to station wagon? Is there a specific cultural reference I’m missing?
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 am
Same
Went with hearse over limousine. What led to station wagon? Is there a specific cultural reference I’m missing?
I don't know about culture, but "estate" is almost the same word as "station" and "car" has almost the same meaning as "wagon".
I'm smart and I want respect.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:52 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:55 am How did anybody jump to graffiti? I was looking for something starting with 'f' as akin to sfumato (which I only learned about on LL81 (or thereabouts). 'G' would be about the last consonant I'd look at for an initial silent 's'.
I abandoned the silent S angle and looked for Italian art terms that are plural. The other clue about a very different method of artistic expression directed me to street art. I’m surprised he accepted graffiti and graffito- as written, he was clearly looking for sgraffito, but I guess I’m ok with it
Wish I did ... I pull graffiti out of my head as something different enough + plural sounding enough, but mostly as a joke; then erased it because I thought I found something funnier. I did not.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had pickup truck for estate car. I knew it was something I'd heard before, but pickup was what came to mind. I probably should have thought about it more.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

On vacation this week and off my routines. Looked at the questions at night and couldn’t think straight.

I know damn well estate car is station wagon, but couldn’t think of it and went with hearse knowing it didn’t seem right.

Lost because of it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:34 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 am
Same
I don't know about culture, but "estate" is almost the same word as "station" and "car" has almost the same meaning as "wagon".

Don’t know if this helps, but we call them station wagons because of the wagons that would carry you and your luggage from the train station to the hotel in the old west.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Every once in a while I'll get the energy up to add 2 or 3 games from the J-Archive to my Anki flashcards, usually when there's a big tournament (5 and a half games from this current ToC) or when the game id counter turns over to an even hundred. I've got all these little clusters of 3 or 4 games randomly carded.

"Estate car" turns up in game_id=2 , aka Ken Jennings game 40. Without going through that one (by hand, thank you very much. No scraping.) a couple of months ago, I don't get that question yesterday.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've watched enough Top Gear to know this cold.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

My first thought was limousine but I figured since it's a French word it's probably not an American specific word.

I guessed "sedan" because so many European cars seem to be hatchbacks
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For estate car I switched from motorhome to moving van, while considering hearse.

I went bigger when I should have gone smaller, and vice versa: I took the 128 ounces I knew gallons to have, and decided to halve it to 64 rather than double it to 256; I took the "weekly" in the publication and answered "Women's Wear Monthly." Those two misses wouldn't have turned my L into a T, let alone a W, though. If I had gotten them, I would have been bemoaning not giving more thought to estate cars. (I had no chance with Camorra.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Limousine was my guess. Estate rang a faint bell from these clues:

#5439, aired 2008-04-10 BRITISH VS. AMERICAN AUTO TERMINOLOGY $200: What the British call an estate car, we call this type of "wagon"
#4597, aired 2004-09-07 THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH $400: The type of car the Brits call an estate car, we Americans call one of these wagons

I did not spend much time on it since I expected a loss in thinking I only had one (Carver) right. The pleasant surprise of a 4(2)-1(2) was my opponent got nothing for the magazine while I maxed out receiving three. It was a guess, but a couple of J! clues were more recent to possibly help me:

7564, aired 2017-06-29 PANTS ON FIRE $200: Women's Wear Daily coined this term for the ultra-short shorts whose sales were on fire in the 1970s
#7132, aired 2015-09-22 A FASHIONABLE CATEGORY $200: This media source abbreviated WWD is often called "the fashion bible"

I wonder if gender bias was in play as I figured my female opponent would get it and perhaps she thought I would not?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Does anybody know a good way to figure out which TikTok and YouTube stars rise to the level of trivia relevance, and learn them? Every time one comes up, it's always a name I've never heard before in my life...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:38 am Does anybody know a good way to figure out which TikTok and YouTube stars rise to the level of trivia relevance, and learn them? Every time one comes up, it's always a name I've never heard before in my life...
I hate to get all TPHy, but there are some things I don't care to learn. But I will just accept the fact that I don't know them. Life's too short.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am surprised at the leaguewide get rates on some of yesterday's questions. I would have expected Galapagos to play easy and Rhinoceros to play a little tough, but not to the levels that they did. The Pirsig book also did not ring a bell for me at all, but apparently that was something that I should have heard of.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:38 am Does anybody know a good way to figure out which TikTok and YouTube stars rise to the level of trivia relevance, and learn them? Every time one comes up, it's always a name I've never heard before in my life...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... prov=sfti1
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:27 am I am surprised at the leaguewide get rates on some of yesterday's questions. I would have expected Galapagos to play easy and Rhinoceros to play a little tough, but not to the levels that they did. The Pirsig book also did not ring a bell for me at all, but apparently that was something that I should have heard of.
I scroll through TMZ every day, not that any pseudo-celebrity junk sticks...but I have heard of these sisters from there.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:27 pm
I've watched enough Top Gear to know this cold.
Same here, and to the person who put sedan, in the UK they call them Saloons...

I was the JBizzaro miss on Carver with Washington. I should've gone with my gut but I feel like there was a similar question somewhere in the past related to Tuskegee and I put Carver and the answer was Washington. On looking it up after, Washington founded Tuskegee but was not a researcher like Carver.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought Carver would play at 90%, minimum, due to the mention of peanuts, owing to the popular misconception that he invented peanut butter.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 am I thought Carver would play at 90%, minimum, due to the mention of peanuts, owing to the popular misconception that he invented peanut butter.
That question had two competing Pavlovs:

peanuts -> Carver
Tuskegee -> Booker T. Washington

As soon as I saw peanuts, I thought Carver, but I'll admit, the Tuskegee piece had me doubting myself.