Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
17th CENTURY WRITING

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 17th century work quotes the Book of Job, "Behold the giants groan under water, and they that dwell with them"

Julia Markham Cameron: 12800-3000=9800 (2x = $26,250)
Susie O’Gorman: 7600-3000=4600
Whitney Sorensen: 7100-3333=3767

Correct response:
Spoiler
Leviathan (Julia – The Decameron) (Susie – Gulliver’s Travels) (Whitney – The Tempest)

Daily Doubles
Susie: 1400+1400
Whitney: 5000+2500
Susie: 6800-4000

Coryats
Julia: 12800
Susie: 11200
Whitney: 5800

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Julia: 6000
Susie: 4400
Whitney: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A QUICK STUDY $1200:
Spoiler
I can laugh at Julia and she can laugh all the way to the bank.

Prior to watching J! this morning I played a round of the game unknown to the players with the doubling cube. It's often strange what gets by the players as on most days I would think the clue would not go TS.

Even if Susie had solved DD3 it's possible Julia still wins as it would not have taken much to cover Whitney doubling her score.

Julia was better on the buzzer and her lead was enough to win on a TS clue. The scoreboard was interesting on DJ29 that ended the round as Julia led 13600 to 6800 to 7100. Julia lost a coin toss on the river and Susie rebounded it to change the game scenario from runaway to anyone could win.

It would have been nice to see the FJ! clue solved to have the winner kick down the front door. Instead it was a Friday skunk.

My precall off the category was to think it would be some guy that was a character on ABC's Lost.

The FJ! clue had me at first wonder about John Bunyan's famous work before I realized the better move to make and I wrote the correct response. 0/3 does not surprise me while I think the clue is fine for regular play.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mayim week one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7038

Mayim got her ad libs in to indicate she is comfortable with conducting the game. I expect to type the host's name even more next week.

The CC was off multiple times with things like "stake" for "steak" and Billy for Billie.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sure is an interesting way to pronounce "Ireengland..."

No chance on FJ. Best I could do was match Susie.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thank you LL; otherwise I wouldn't have gotten Stepford.

Easy, clearly pinned FJ but I'm not surprised it played difficult.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

17th Century + giants = Don Quixote to me, and never thought of changing, though the water part did confuse me. I disagree with Mark's assessment and believe that clue was too tough as written. A mention of England or reference to it being a philosophical work would have been nice to take me away from Cervantes. No surprise it went 0/3.
Golf

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm 17th Century + giants = Don Quixote to me, and never thought of changing, though the water part did confuse me. I disagree with Mark's assessment and believe that clue was too tough as written. A mention of England or reference to it being a philosophical work would have been nice to take me away from Cervantes. No surprise it went 0/3.
The TOM under water is more important than giants. Not sure how under water can relate to Don Quixote.

If this was written as “under water giants” the clue is easily solvable without the 17th century.

Certainly not saying the clue was too easy but I think the poll this weekend will show it was not difficult.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 pm 17th Century + giants = Don Quixote to me, and never thought of changing, though the water part did confuse me. I disagree with Mark's assessment and believe that clue was too tough as written. A mention of England or reference to it being a philosophical work would have been nice to take me away from Cervantes. No surprise it went 0/3.
The TOM under water is more important than giants. Not sure how under water can relate to Don Quixote.

If this was written as “under water giants” the clue is easily solvable without the 17th century.

Certainly not saying the clue was too easy but I think the poll this weekend will show it was not difficult.
You're 100% right, it was there for the taking, I just feel adding that it was a philosophical work as opposed to fiction would have made it a bit more navigable in 30 seconds. I jumped straight to one of my precalls of Don Quixote, and tried to find ways to make the clue fit, which is my mistake I guess.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Small Lings, Failed Amendments, Games, Magna Cartography, Quick Study, Ancient History (4),
DDs: :D :D :( (inertia)
trash: DC, backgammon, Cloud City, wood, Olmecs, thunder, shale (rebound) (10400)
FJ: Thought of Gulliver's Travels & 20K Leagues Under the Sea, knew neither of them fit. :?
J! 28/0 :o , clamming only on Beth (pick a random sister) & Lucy in the Sky w/Diamonds (derp)
DJ! 22/1 missing Billie Holliday
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Is this the first game in which all four people on stage were women?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:37 pm Is this the first game in which all four people on stage were women?
looks like it is, since according to the archive, it didn't happen during Katie Couric's guest hosting.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 pm

You're 100% right, it was there for the taking, I just feel adding that it was a philosophical work as opposed to fiction would have made it a bit more navigable in 30 seconds. I jumped straight to one of my precalls of Don Quixote, and tried to find ways to make the clue fit, which is my mistake I guess.
I think the fact that the category was 17TH CENTURY WRITING hinted that it was non-fiction. If it was from a novel, the category would've said so.

Either way, it didn't do me good. I said The Compleat Angler. Leviathan crossed my mind, but I thought that was a century later.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

One last thing, and I promise I'm done whinging:

Why have the category be 17TH CENTURY WRITING, and then have the clue begin "This 17th Century work..."? It just seems to be written by the Department of Redundancy Department.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:18 pm
I said The Compleat Angler. Leviathan crossed my mind, but I thought that was a century later.
I could have written those exact same sentences.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Dull game. It seems like more & more TSs. Julia seemed a bit slower with answers AND ad libs today. I guessed Gulliver’s Travels but I had little confidence.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

49R. 4/4 on big clues. I'm keenly aware that there was a clue left unplayed. Although I'm probably being too generous with my scoring. Knowing the significance of and the difference between Leviathan and Behemoth made FJ easy.

Got Olmecs on the rebound. Got Tigris on the rebound. Probably shouldn't count those but I will anyway.

I knew Xerxes came later so I rang in with Darius the Great. Oops. Adding the Persian rulers Cyrus the Great, Darius the Great, and Xerxes the Great to my list of things I get confused.

The entertaining miss on xylology helped me pause, reconsider the study of brontosauruses, and then answer thunder. I'm not sure what you call a person that studies xylophones. Nevermind. Apparently it's a xylophonist. Thanks Google!

I've read Moby Dick and missed Captain Ahab anyway. Thought the category was asking for title characters for some reason.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Bessie Coleman, phalanx, shale, It's a Wonderful Life, and Equal Rights Amendment.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I got stuck on "giants" and guessed Gargantua and Pantagruel.

Apparently that was the 16th century.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Chalk another one up for Don Quixote. I was almost certain it was wrong, but that was the best I could come up with. I thought The Tempest was a great guess even though it was wrong.