Tuesday, June 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

For the Boomers,almost all of whom have reached the signature age of 64:

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save (we shall scrimp and save)
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

(Written by Paul McCarthy when he was 14, 50 years from the titular age)

I hated to see the reverse gear for Bridget, but Sandy stood and delivered in the endgame.

I have never cared for the Jabberwocky and Caterpillar elements of the Alice stories. The clue made me think it was an actual poet, and I couldn't come up with a Poe critter and just said "albatross', 9 letters notwithstanding.

Savannah is doing really well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:34 am
econgator wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:39 pm I'll admit that I've never heard of the 3rd-most populous of the British Isles.
It's only a part of the city of Portsmouth, and from the map, it looks like you can wade there from the mainland if you cuff your pants a bit. No mentions on the archive, so it's probably safe to forget.
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 pm Missed the Isle of Wight clue and was wondering what it has to do with holidays but it looks like it's well established on the Wikipedia page. Learned something new.
In the summer you can rent a cottage there, if it's not too dear. Grandchildren on your knee.
ETA--Ninjaed. Oh well.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:12 am Is $8,600 the highest score ever for second place at the end of the J! round?
Tom Baker had $8,600 at the end of the first round in his debut and was still trailing the returning champ by $1,000.

Second place had $4,600 in this pre-doubled game (note that this was thanks to a double credit on clue 15).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:28 pm I had a feeling someone might try to make the poem's name into 10 letters.
<raises hand> Dammit, it doesn't fit! Knew it had two "b"s so I looked elsewhere. "Borogoves" is too short, as is "albatross". This is the first time I left a response blank in ages.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 am
econgator wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:28 pm I had a feeling someone might try to make the poem's name into 10 letters.
<raises hand> Dammit, it doesn't fit! Knew it had two "b"s so I looked elsewhere. "Borogoves" is too short, as is "albatross". This is the first time I left a response blank in ages.
Same here. I just got rid of the c when I wrote it down.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This game had big payday written all over it, but Bridget seemed to get flustered after that DD miss. Too bad because she seems like she would be a risk-taking champion. With big risk comes the chance of flaming out, of course.

Sandy is a board-jumping sort, so we’ll see how that plays out for her. She didn’t get any opportunities to show us how she will bet the Daily Doubles and FJ! offered her no room to show us if she would go for the highest possible payday in a runaway. In other words, all we know about her is that she seemed to be quick on the signaling device and turned that into $21,000 without the aid of anything beyond the dollar amounts on the board. That in itself is impressive.

I will miss Savannah, and I haven’t said that about many of the guest hosts even though the majority of them have been solid.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

yclept wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:21 am This game had big payday written all over it, but Bridget seemed to get flustered after that DD miss. Too bad because she seems like she would be a risk-taking champion. With big risk comes the chance of flaming out, of course.

Sandy is a board-jumping sort, so we’ll see how that plays out for her. She didn’t get any opportunities to show us how she will bet the Daily Doubles and FJ! offered her no room to show us if she would go for the highest possible payday in a runaway. In other words, all we know about her is that she seemed to be quick on the signaling device and turned that into $21,000 without the aid of anything beyond the dollar amounts on the board. That in itself is impressive.

I will miss Savannah, and I haven’t said that about many of the guest hosts even though the majority of them have been solid.
Maybe she just didn’t like the category, but not wanting to bet anything (when the max was only $999) suggests she isn’t a big risk taker. Although a lock FJ lead (or a late DD with a huge lead) is the only time you are betting real money and not just points.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I was glad to see the clue referencing the Tom Russell song "Tonight We Ride" which is about Black Jack Pershing chasing Pancho Villa around Chihuahua. If you're unfamiliar with Tom Russell I highly recommend you check him out. He's a great singer songwriter who writes great story songs, many of which but not all, are about the Old West. I especially like The Rose of Roscrae, a two CD epic about an Irish lad who emigrates to the American West and becomes an outlaw.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I was surprised and pleased to see Tom Russell make Jeopardy. I agree with your assessment. One of my favorites is Gallo del Cielo performed before a live audience.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm Remember when Austin Rogers said "Who are the Eagles?" in a forlorn, sarcastic tone?

That's how I would have answered the St. Louis Cardinals question.
If it makes you feel any better, the Cardinals are currently in fourth place, two games below .500. I will be going to the game tomorrow, hoping they'll have better luck against the Pirates after going 1-5 against the Braves and Tigers.

I was partway through reading this thread before I realized that I somehow missed seeing this game. I played it off the Archive and am not sure whether the correct FJ! response would have occurred to me (if I had, I would have negotiated the spelling successfully). I was surprised the Election of 1800 was a triple stumper. For Pancho Villa I substituted Sancho Panza, which sent me into a fit of giggles when I realized what I had done.

"Fun" fact: I taped my J! game on October 29, 2012. There were some contestants from the East Coast who had to wait several days before they could go home.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Poll request on Christopher Guest. It's been haunting me all day that Sandy got that.

Also commentary request on how people get the clues about non-superstar supporting actors. He is noteworthy but from the clue it really looks like you needed to know who played Count Rugen in The Princess Bride.

Also the player that got Mia Sara in this game has been haunting me for years: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5517

I'm just genuinely baffled how people get these and would love to figure it out.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am Poll request on Christopher Guest. It's been haunting me all day that Sandy got that.

Also commentary request on how people get the clues about non-superstar supporting actors. He is noteworthy but from the clue it really looks like you needed to know who played Count Rugen in The Princess Bride.

Also the player that got Mia Sara in this game has been haunting me for years: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5517

I'm just genuinely baffled how people get these and would love to figure it out.
Both The Princess Bride and Ferris Bueller are beloved movies with passionate fans. Nothing more complicated. I'm not so passionate about either. CG should have helped enormously in getting that one, but I was trying to remember Cary Elwes' name and ran out of time before realizing it didn't fit... :roll:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:42 pm Michael took a skunk opening segment, but could have won the game with a higher wager on DD3 when he left 2400 on the table he needed at the end to make his sole solve pay off for more than just the 2nd place prize.
When it's all over, I wonder if these players even realize where they lost the game
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:42 pm Michael took a skunk opening segment, but could have won the game with a higher wager on DD3 when he left 2400 on the table he needed at the end to make his sole solve pay off for more than just the 2nd place prize.
When it's all over, I wonder if these players even realize where they lost the game
Twitter is always there to remind them.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am Also the player that got Mia Sara in this game has been haunting me for years: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5517

If you’ve seen the movie, it should be easy as she is one of the main three characters. Perhaps others are different, but if I watch a movie I’m aware of the actors portraying the main characters.

If you haven’t seen the movie then it’s obvious why you wouldn’t know it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am Poll request on Christopher Guest. It's been haunting me all day that Sandy got that.
Also poll request for "I reflexively said Cary Grant instead of Clark Gable, like I always do."
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 am Also the player that got Mia Sara in this game has been haunting me for years: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5517

If you’ve seen the movie, it should be easy as she is one of the main three characters. Perhaps others are different, but if I watch a movie I’m aware of the actors portraying the main characters.

I'd say it's also far and away her most famous role, so people are very likely to remember her for it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw Ferris once and hated it. I kept hoping someone would kick that smug SOB in the teeth.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:17 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

I'd say it's also far and away her most famous role, so people are very likely to remember her for it.
Or not. If you saw the movie once, say, you're not likely to remember her because she didn't become a star, or even a familiar face. If you love the movie, as many people do, then sure you'll remember her.
But I think people with any awareness and interest in the movies are able to name Matthew Broderick as its star, even if they've never gotten around to seeing it. I only saw it in the last 10-15 years, because it's such a pop culture touchstone I wanted to catch up with it.
Neither of the observations above are so certain. If the leading lady were Nicole Kidman, for example, more people would know it.