Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

On FB there was one of those post chat videos. Carlo said he had not seen the movie recently and Tracy said she had seen the movie as well. Matt's comment was that he only remembered Jessica. :)
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Had to come up with something for FJ, so went with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (only a couple of years off). Also considered Fatal Attraction, but didn't recall any "dip" in that movie.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

merica wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 am Had to come up with something for FJ, so went with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (only a couple of years off). Also considered Fatal Attraction, but didn't recall any "dip" in that movie.
That would be a strange way of referencing rabbit soup...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 am She was coming in cold with zero history with the returning champ. And I think the disastrous backstage circumstances prior to this appearance called for the most generic remarks possible.
Okay, you're right that a generic intro for Mayim's first game after Mike was kind of necessary. Because how do you acknowledge that you've been brought back because your predecessor got fired a few days ago? You can't, not without mentioning the elephant in the room. That first intro was bound to be awkward in some way because of that.

But she had ten chances back in May and June. I remember some of her intro subjects, and I'm pretty sure she never acknowledged the returning champion in any meaningful way. One of her only comments about the actual players was just that she was impressed by how smart everyone is, which is something she could've prepared before she began hosting. No mentions of any savvy DD or FJ wagers (I can't remember if there were any worth mentioning during her run, but I'm just trying to think of an example of what Alex did to keep the intros fresh). They did have one exceptionally eccentric and likeable champion in Julia Markham Cameron, and she didn't acknowledge her uniqueness at all.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I erased it from my DVR so I can't check -- was Mike Richards still listed in the closing credits as executive producer and writer?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:39 am I erased it from my DVR so I can't check -- was Mike Richards still listed in the closing credits as executive producer and writer?
Yes and yes.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Oh, by the way, squarekara, I think you and I have the exact opposite opinions on the hosts we like, lol. Ken is my favorite but I think you have issues with him.
Volante

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am
squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 am She was coming in cold with zero history with the returning champ. And I think the disastrous backstage circumstances prior to this appearance called for the most generic remarks possible.
Okay, you're right that a generic intro for Mayim's first game after Mike was kind of necessary. Because how do you acknowledge that you've been brought back because your predecessor got fired a few days ago? You can't, not without mentioning the elephant in the room. That first intro was bound to be awkward in some way because of that.

But she had ten chances back in May and June. I remember some of her intro subjects, and I'm pretty sure she never acknowledged the returning champion in any meaningful way. One of her only comments about the actual players was just that she was impressed by how smart everyone is, which is something she could've prepared before she began hosting. No mentions of any savvy DD or FJ wagers (I can't remember if there were any worth mentioning during her run, but I'm just trying to think of an example of what Alex did to keep the intros fresh). They did have one exceptionally eccentric and likeable champion in Julia Markham Cameron, and she didn't acknowledge her uniqueness at all.
Well, 10 chances but over two days of fast filming. You have to know the rules before you can break them, my English teachers would tell me regularly. (Faulkner could write page long sentences! Why can't I?!)

If you're setting a bar that takes 37 years of experience to get over, best gird yourself for seasons of disappointment in the meantime.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Yes, but Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts, and David Faber were all good at interesting intros despite doing the job for only one or two days. Robin told a story about how she and her ESPN colleagues would play Jeopardy! against each other at work. That's the kind of specificity I want to see that's been lacking in the Mayim games.

ETA: To me, Mayim is a lost cause. I can't imagine I will ever change my mind on her. If she becomes permanent, I'll keep watching, but I expect to be disappointed by her constantly.
Last edited by tddeveryday on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Yes, but Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts, and David Faber were all good at interesting intros despite doing the job for only one or two days. Robin told a story about how she and her ESPN colleagues would play Jeopardy! against each other at work. That's the kind of specificity I want to see that's been lacking in the Mayim games.
I agree and I doubt we're going to get that kind of thing much with Mayim. Maybe she can be "trained" a bit, but I think this comes much more naturally for some people than others.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:16 am I agree and I doubt we're going to get that kind of thing much with Mayim. Maybe she can be "trained" a bit, but I think this comes much more naturally for some people than others.
She can be coached to speak more specifically and acknowledge the previous game more often, but I don't think she can be taught to be more interesting. Obviously that word is extremely subjective, but Anderson, Robin, and David, as well as Ken, Buzzy, Savannah, and a few others can express themselves in a way that's interesting and intelligent, while Mayim hasn't done that for me.
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Yes, but Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts, and David Faber were all good at interesting intros despite doing the job for only one or two days. Robin told a story about how she and her ESPN colleagues would play Jeopardy! against each other at work.
Of course, they all have day jobs where they interact and introduce people as part of that work. It did make them, and Joe Buck, pretty good interim hosts as opposed to Dr. Oz (guess Dr. Phil would have had the WRONG demeanor to try out :D )

Mike
Golf

Post by Golf »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am ETA: To me, Mayim is a lost cause. I can't imagine I will ever change my mind on her. If she becomes permanent, I'll keep watching, but I expect to be disappointed by her constantly.
That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. My opinion is that we all don’t have to read about it every time you’re disappointed.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:16 am
tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Yes, but Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts, and David Faber were all good at interesting intros despite doing the job for only one or two days. Robin told a story about how she and her ESPN colleagues would play Jeopardy! against each other at work. That's the kind of specificity I want to see that's been lacking in the Mayim games.
I agree and I doubt we're going to get that kind of thing much with Mayim. Maybe she can be "trained" a bit, but I think this comes much more naturally for some people than others.
Ooof. Cooper was boring, Roberts obnoxious, and Faber competent. None of them hold a candle to Mayim.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Good clue for FJ. If I had been thinking about animation at all, I woulda got this.
As it was, I thought the paint-related clues were about the Joker leaving rictus grins on his victims, so I guessed Batman. :(
Turned out I was a year off.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I feel like over 90 percent of the group on here would have gotten the FJ! answer right, given how one part of the clue sort of gave it away.

But to see Matt Amodio get this one WRONG and in a situation where it was not a runaway game would have given anybody a reason to grab the defibrilator.

He was not inches, but HAIRS from having his reign end. The big saving grace that preserved Matt's chances to possibly reach the $1 million mark was the fact that Tracy got FJ! wrong, which has got to be frustrating for most people who have challenged him. Barb Fecteau (Game 5) and Kathleen McHugh (Game 4) almost came away with the win because they got their FJ!s right. Unfortunately...so did Matt at that time.

Somehow, in some way, Matt Amodio seems to try and find any number of ways to come out of it with a win, but this one was way too close for comfort. At this point, the road to $1 million is going to be a quiet one for the Yale student. Let's see if this week will be that week.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I just realized that I could have gotten DD1 if I would have recalled the musical Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. Oh well.
Volante

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:46 pm I just realized that I could have gotten DD1 if I would have recalled the musical Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. Oh well.
Or the 1812 Overture?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:16 am
Ooof. Cooper was boring, Roberts obnoxious, and Faber competent. None of them hold a candle to Mayim.
I've found Bialik somewhat obnoxious, but found Roberts likeable. There no accounting for taste, I guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cooper wasn’t as good as I expected. Roberts was fantastic, although I have always liked her. Faber was my favorite. Bialik was OK, but I didn’t feel the love everyone else did for her. But Burton was the only one I truly despised.