Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6421, 2012-07-16

CONTESTANTS
Matt Collins, a graduate student in economic policy from Cambridge, Massachusetts
Blythe Rodgers, an attorney from Washington, D.C.
Liza Veeneman, a retired software developer from Aliso Viejo, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Appreciate it. Good to have our champion back with us. I hope you enjoyed the weekend. Blythe and Matt are the newcomers challenging you. How is this gonna work out? Let's find out, shall we? Good luck. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round... and here are the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NO. 1 AT THE BOX OFFICE (4/5)
MAKING THE GRADE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AFFIX THE SUFFIX (4/5)
"A"-LIST LITERARY CHARACTERS (4/5)
GEOMETRY (5/5)
PROTESTING TIPS & ETIQUETTE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Blythe: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Liza: 8 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Liza: $3,200
Blythe: $1,800
Matt: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Two contestants on the program today have some musical talents. Matt Collins is a graduate student in economic policy, and you have a degree in what?

Matt: Uh, I originally have a degree in classical vocal performance from New England conservatory.

Alex: Aha, and what instrument do you play?

Matt: I am a singer, um, and I used to play, however, the saxophone, and I switched to singing when, in the seventh grade, I left my saxophone behind at a convenience store, uh, while buying a bag of potato chips on the way home from school.

Alex: Oh, boy. Okay.

Alex: Let's go to, uh, Blythe Rodgers, who is an attorney with some musical talents also. What musical talents are we talking about here? It's an instrument that I've never heard of.

Blythe: Well, I--you--actually, you have. It's called the caixa. It's the Brazilian Portuguese word for "snare drum", and we play samba-reggae, which is the music from northeastern Brazil, in the State of Bahia.

Alex: Now why did you say that I have heard of this instrument, a caixa?

Alex: Because you've heard of the snare drum. The snare drum, I have...

Blythe: Yes. [Laughs]

Alex: But the caixa, I haven't. That's an interesting word, isn't it?

Blythe: Oh, yeah.

Alex: "I play the caixa." Makes it sound so... ooh.

Blythe: Brazilian.

Alex: Yeah--well, okay.

Alex: Now we deal with our champion, Liza Veeneman, retired software developer, who helped her husband, who was having difficulties in what?

Liza: In criminal law in law school. He--

Alex: Why? 'Cause he had been found guilty?

Liza: No, not because of that, but because he loved--he loved torts, he loved contracts, he loved civil procedure, but criminal law was just something that was kind of tough.

Alex: So how did you help him?

Liza: Well, I helped him study. I helped him. He asked questions, I answered them, I asked questions, he answered them, and lo and behold, he got an "A" in the class. And he wanted to know how I happened to know so much about criminal law myself.

Alex: And?

Liza: The answer was, "I watch Perry Mason."

Alex: Oh, gosh. That's a long time ago.

Liza: Yes, it is.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Liza had $3,000, Blythe had $2,400, and Matt was at $3,200. Matt wagered $800.

MAKING THE GRADE $600: From an EF-0 to an EF-5, the enhanced Fujita scale is used to grade the intensity of these weather events

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NO. 1 AT THE BOX OFFICE $1000: In the third entry in this series, from 2008, Troy & Gabriella might be headed for different colleges--time to sing!

PROTESTING TIPS & ETIQUETTE $800: Even under a romantic moon in an occupied park, don't approach an enticing stranger with ZZ Top's "Slip Inside My" this
(Blythe: What is"Tent"?)

AFFIX THE SUFFIX $1000: To make "abnormal" & "similar" into nouns

MAKING THE GRADE $800: As determined by the USDA, it's the highest grade of lamb, veal & beef
(Liza: What is "A"?)

"A"-LIST LITERARY CHARACTERS $1000: He's the title character in "The Return of the King"
(Liza: Who is Aragon?)
(Alex: [*], yes. No.
Oh, my bad. Uh, I'm informed that you left off the "R". It's [*], and I gave it away, didn't I? Bad.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $5,800
Blythe: $3,000
Liza: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'M ON THE CASE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NEIGHBORS OF NIGER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SINGING SOLO (5/5)
THE QUOTABLE NIETZSCHE (2/4)
CALIFORNIA GIRLS (5/5)
WHATEVER (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Blythe: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Liza: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Matt: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Liza had $3,200, Blythe had $5,000, and Matt was at $9,400. Matt wagered $2,000.

I'M ON THE CASE $1200: Peruse the appeal that successfully fought the $100 fine this Tenn. high school teacher got in i925 for teaching evolution

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Blythe who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Liza had $6,800, Blythe had $10,200, and Matt was at $12,600. Blythe wagered $3,000.

NEIGHBORS OF NIGER $1200: It underwent a change of government in 2011

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE QUOTABLE NIETZSCHE $1600: "Man is a rope stretched between the animal and" this advanced conception of humanity

THE QUOTABLE NIETZSCHE $1200: "The enlightened man says: I am body only, and nothing beside: and" this "is only a word for something in the body"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Blythe: $20,000
Matt: $13,000
Liza: $8,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Blythe: Wager $6,001 to cover Matt.
Matt: You have the hope of surpassing Blythe if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Blythe to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Liza.
Liza: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $8,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
David Phillips, whose exposé reporting inspired this word made popular by Teddy Roosevelt, was later shot dead

FINAL SCORES
Liza: $8,400 - $8,400 = $0 (What is Bully?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $13,000 - $10,000 = $3,000 (What is Bully?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Blythe: $20,000 - $6,001 = $13,999 (What is Bully?) (New champion: $13,999)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Blythe: $18,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Matt: $12,000, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Liza: $8,400, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Blythe: 21/59 = .356
Matt: 16/60 = .267
Liza: 14/58 = .241
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NO. 1 AT THE BOX OFFICE $200: This 1995 smash was inspired by the Pixar short film "Tin Toy"
(Blythe: ...Oh...)

GEOMETRY $1000: From the Latin for "agreeing", it means identical in shape & size, like the two objects seen here

AFFIX THE SUFFIX $200: To make "ox" an irregular plural
(Alex: Okay, we'll accept that. We want you to give us what you're adding.)

AFFIX THE SUFFIX $400: To make "central" & "ceaseless" into adverbs
(Liza: What is I-Z-E, -ize?)

I'M ON THE CASE $400: Go through Marbury v. Madison to see how this Chief Justice established the power of judicial review
(Blythe: Who is John Jay?)

THE QUOTABLE NIETZSCHE $800: & "God created" them, "and boredom did indeed cease from that moment"
(Blythe: Who are Adam and Eve?)
(Matt: Who are men?)

NEIGHBORS OF NIGER $400: The largest neighbor country in area

NEIGHBORS OF NIGER $800: Naturally, it's Niger's neighbor

NEIGHBORS OF NIGER $1600: Burkina Faso, seen here, was previously known as "Upper" this

NEIGHBORS OF NIGER $2000: It & Niger share a vast but shrinking lake

WHATEVER $400: It can mean uncaring or informal, as in attire for Friday
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a tornado
High School Musical
"Sleeping Bag"
-ity
prime
Aragorn
(John) Scopes
Libya
superman
soul
muckraking
Toy Story
congruent
-en (oxen accepted)
-ly
(John) Marshall
women
Algeria
Nigeria
Volta
Chad
casual
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

Wow I can't believe that was a triple stumper! I got FJ right away. Then again I am a journalism student and history enthusiast.

5 right in the first round but 12 right in DJ to give 17 right on the day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ, but my heart skipped a beat when the first response was revealed and the inflection in Alex's voice made me think that was right. Was this FJ left over from a few weeks ago (June 25-26)?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Funny that I mentioned John Fogerty's "Centerfield" just the other day and it comes up today.

I was impressed with a few of my bottom-row gets, such as High School Musical, -ity, Plessy v. Ferguson and lackadaisical. (Probably because I read a webcomic called Lackadaisy?)

On the flip side, I went 0/5 in California Girls (Patty who, now?) and fell for the Adam & Eve bait. "A" List Literary and Niger also 0/5. I swear, every day Africa has a new country. There're like, 278 of them now, and I have no idea how anyone can keep track of them all.

Investigative Journalists — yeah, I'm so not gonna get this one. I had no guess whatsoever. "Bully pulpit" never came to mind either. I'd heard of muckraking, but never knew it was associated with Teddy.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Throw me in with the "bully" crowd. Had no idea that there was another word TR made famous.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Fourth podium success on Final Jeopardy! Thanks Mom and Dad for getting me a book about muckrackers back in high school.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I've tried to avoid ZZ Top my whole life, and it worked against me in the J round.

Glad to see the "Aragon" was marked wrong, eventually.

The J round seemed pretty reasonable. The Protesting category was very light and didn't add much, but I thought the "A" literary characters and grade categories were especially well written. Geometry seemed a bit easy; honestly, "ray" was probably the toughest one there just because I've not used that word in that context in years. More of a vector man, as I need direction and magnitude.

I thought the middle contestant really took over late, with Fogerty and the countries category in particular (though a lawyer missing Marshall - oops!). I know talk is cheap, but if it's straight African geo and they are giving you a clue plus a picture of the country, you've got to be inclined to go very very big there. Libya was overvalued as it was, and as a DD it was free money.

Little disappointed the Nietzsche category went unfinished; I didn't know any of the quotes cold but they were all quite intuitive if you are familiar with his work.

Nice job by the contestants up to FJ, though I did think that, outside of the Nietzsche category, the episode was light from a difficulty point of view. I found the question about Sting to be the hardest in the DJ round.

As for FJ, I thought that the question was a little misleading - I knew immediately it was "muckraking," but there was nothing in the clue outside of TR to lead you to that, and it led the contestants to "bully." At least bully implies some kind of violence - why mention the guy getting shot? Cheap as it may be, I think you just have to mention the origin of the word, from Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. There, the added information did nothing to help the contestants, and I think it's a flimsy clue for that reason.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Austin Powers wrote: As for FJ, I thought that the question was a little misleading - I knew immediately it was "muckraking," but there was nothing in the clue outside of TR to lead you to that, and it led the contestants to "bully." At least bully implies some kind of violence - why mention the guy getting shot? Cheap as it may be, I think you just have to mention the origin of the word, from Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. There, the added information did nothing to help the contestants, and I think it's a flimsy clue for that reason.
I disagree - TR's time period, the category, and neologisms should have clued people in. Also, it makes no sense that journalism would inspire the word "bully."
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, and I was surprised that they all gave the same wrong answer. I guess the Pavlovian pull of TR -> bully pulpit was too strong, because it has nothing to do with exposes.

As intimidating as that Niger category sounded -- African borders aren't exactly a weakness, but they're not a real strength either -- highlighting the countries in question on a map made it the easiest 5/5 in recent memory. I would've bet a lot more on that DD, but it didn't matter.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Oh yes - let it be noted that Blythe contradicted Alex in the interview and came away with a big win. Suck it, Jeopardy gods.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

zakharov wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: As for FJ, I thought that the question was a little misleading - I knew immediately it was "muckraking," but there was nothing in the clue outside of TR to lead you to that, and it led the contestants to "bully." At least bully implies some kind of violence - why mention the guy getting shot? Cheap as it may be, I think you just have to mention the origin of the word, from Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. There, the added information did nothing to help the contestants, and I think it's a flimsy clue for that reason.
I disagree - TR's time period, the category, and neologisms should have clued people in. Also, it makes no sense that journalism would inspire the word "bully."
That's a fair point. The category as practically titled "Muckraking" after all, and TR's era is when Tarbell, Steffens, etc were doing their thing.

Still, I think it would be nice if the clue could stand on its own a little better - the fate of that poor guy just seemed like wasted real estate.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I didn't care for the FJ clue either. Knowing the word was much older, I never would have connected it with Teddy Roosevelt.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Tuned in for FJ and was stumped. I wouldn't have had the correct response even if you had spotted me an 'm' to start, even though I've heard of muckraking.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Andromus wrote:I didn't care for the FJ clue either. Knowing the word was much older, I never would have connected it with Teddy Roosevelt.
Same issue. I remembered that the term was coined during Reconstruction, didn't know it gained its popularity with TR. I went with yellow journalism, which while it doesn't end up fitting the definition exactly it was first used at the turn of the century so it was a decent guess.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Since when did people decide Niger should be pronounced Nee-jair? I swear I only started hearing that within the last few years.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board, and I noticed that two fairly recent FJ answers--John Fogerty and superman--came up. If I remember correctly, those two FJs might have made one of the "toughest FJs" polls.

I precalled Mike Wallace, but FJ was still an instant get. I never really associated "muckraking" with Teddy Roosevelt, but I did associate it with the time of his presidency. The softball FJ clues continue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:Since when did people decide Niger should be pronounced Nee-jair? I swear I only started hearing that within the last few years.

Parce que la langue officielle est le français, ne vous savez ? :)

But yeah, it's a fairly recent thing. I suspect it's most the media trying to look all cultural.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:Since when did people decide Niger should be pronounced Nee-jair? I swear I only started hearing that within the last few years.

Parce que la langue officielle est le français, ne vous savez ? :)

But yeah, it's a fairly recent thing. I suspect it's most the media trying to look all cultural.
If it were French, it would end in an 'ay' sound, not an 'air' sound.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Investigative Journalism
David Phillips, whose exposé reporting inspired this word made popular by Teddy Roosevelt, was later shot dead.
Spoiler
What is muckraking? All 3 players said bully.
Blythe Rodgers: $20,000-$6,001=$13,999...now a 1-day champion with $13,999
Matt Collins: $13,000-$10,000=$3,000
Liza Veeneman: $8,400-$8,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.