Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by soxfan99 »

I couldn't believe they asked for Plessy, when spotted Ferguson, for $2000. One of the more overvalued clues in recent memory. How many SCOUTS cases does Jeopardy ask about, without some TOM that could give you the answer without knowing the actual case? I bet it's a small list (if the old search-feature on the j-archive comes back, I'll do some digging).

I'm glad that the Burkina-Faso clue in Niger wasn't the DD. If I were a contestant, I would've bet huge on the DD thinking the whole category was a simple "name the highlighted country," and would've been really mad if the one clue that changed it up and required more knowledge happened to be on the DD.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

To me, the FJ clue and category was intimidating and gave me no help as I would never have thought muckraking had to do with TeddyRoo
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

soxfan99 wrote:I couldn't believe they asked for Plessy, when spotted Ferguson, for $2000. One of the more overvalued clues in recent memory. How many SCOUTS cases does Jeopardy ask about, without some TOM that could give you the answer without knowing the actual case? I bet it's a small list (if the old search-feature on the j-archive comes back, I'll do some digging).

I'm glad that the Burkina-Faso clue in Niger wasn't the DD. If I were a contestant, I would've bet huge on the DD thinking the whole category was a simple "name the highlighted country," and would've been really mad if the one clue that changed it up and required more knowledge happened to be on the DD.

Scopes Trial slipped my mind and I felt that should have been the hardest one in that category.
Plessey vs Ferguson, Brown vs BoE (Topeka), Mirana, Roe vs Wade, Dred Scott are all that come to mind right away.

Anyone can to inform me on the Italian spies' surnames again? I was occupied at that moment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Roughrider for me on FJ just to try to create a word in the TR area. My precall of Woodward was way off.

The players not knowing the lesser ZZ Top song was not near the crime the song/group we discussed to death last week was. Now if no one had got Belinda Carlisle that would have been a double dagger.

Strange night when I can run Geometry and Neighbor of Niger. The bark of the category names was worse than their bite.

That would have been a nice game steal if Liza pulled it off with a solve in FJ. Blythe put herself in a nice position to survive a TS clue. I wonder if that is the first Blythe that has been on the show other than something about Clinton or Paltrow in a clue's wording?

Where are the Pavlovs? Someone needs to make one for Theodore Roosevelt alone it seems.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

CyrusChan wrote:Anyone can to inform me on the Italian spies' surnames again? I was occupied at that moment.
Sacco and Vanzetti.
Yeah, ran that category. Was expecting an Escobedo v IL, or Gideon v Wainwright.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CyrusChan wrote:
Anyone can to inform me on the Italian spies' surnames again? I was occupied at that moment.
Sacco & Vanzetti were in one of the Grace Veach games I recently archived.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Thanks Mark and Paucle!
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Paucle wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:Anyone can to inform me on the Italian spies' surnames again? I was occupied at that moment.
Sacco and Vanzetti.
Yeah, ran that category. Was expecting an Escobedo v IL, or Gideon v Wainwright.
Those would be very tough clues - most people know Miranda simply from cop shows, but I think asking for the other two would be a bit much. Searching through some other landmark cases, I did come across a clue referencing Loving v. Virginia. Bush v. Gore, Heller, and Citizens United could come up based on their more recent status.

Edit: Actually, they have asked about Gideon v. Wainwright, though in a worldplay manner: "Hotel Bible disapprovingly tells the story of a nasty wagonmaker"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I wrote "What is muckraker", rather than muckraking, for FJ. Surely they would have had to accept both, wouldn't they? If TR referred to the journalistic practice in question as muckraking, it stands to reason that he may also have referred to users of this technique as muckrakers, right?

Here's a tip for Alex inspired by the Aragon/Aragorn snafu: There is virtually no need to ever repeat the correct response a contestant gives you. Exceptions may be made if the player garbles their words or are difficult to hear, or perhaps when adding extra information like a first name. Otherwise, all it does is take up time, leading to unrevealed clues, and in cases like this one, it deprives other players of a rebound opportunity since you have spoiled the correct response. I will anxiously await your response on this matter. :roll:
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

CyrusChan wrote:
Sacco and Vanzetti were not spies; they were anarchists with ties to an anarchist group that carried out bombings in a volatile time. They were accused and convicted on questionable evidence of murder committed during the course of a robbery. To this day, their guilt or innocence is debated and will likely never be definitively decided.

They were executed despite a huge and international outcry by a judicial--and executive--system that intransigently turned deaf ears to that outcry. It's worth a bit of research to learn about the political climate and judicial practices of those times.

Muckraker is obviously as good a response as muckraking. At least it is obvious to me, who also said it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

"Bully" here on what one person here mischaracterized as a "softball" FJ clue. I never associated TR with the word "muckraking." (and my association of the word "bully" with Teddy is not just from "bully pulpit"; the phrase "bully for you" came to mind.) I agree with Austin Powers -- the inclusion of TR in the clue served no real purpose other than to divert people away from figuring out the correct answer.

Paging Mark Barrett: Can we have a question in the FJ poll for people who answered "bully"?

Nice job by Blythe making that late charge in DJ to take control of the game and get herself into a crush situation. I didn't think she had a chance after she contradicted Alex during her interview. :P

I would have liked to see the other Nietzsche clue.

"High School Musical 3" was no. 1 at the box office? Really?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know Teddy coined the term, but nothing else came to mind. I also did not know the term bully pulpit came from him, just the saying "Bully for you".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Teen girls do go to the movies. Zac Efron is popular. The Disney Channel knows how to get the hype out. Saw V and Pride and Glory had no chance that week. HSM3 set a record that opening week for a movie musical.

Poll choice for "Bully" is noted. The wrong FJ choice and not the video game or 2001 movie.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

hbomb1947 wrote:"High School Musical 3" was no. 1 at the box office? Really?
Yes...yes it was. It wasn't exactly facing stiff competition, but it ended up making $252M worldwide.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Teen girls do go to the movies. Zac Efron is popular. The Disney Channel knows how to get the hype out. Saw V and Pride and Glory had no chance that week. HSM3 set a record that opening week for a movie musical.

Poll choice for "Bully" is noted. The wrong FJ choice and not the video game or 2001 movie.
I would have thought that HSM3 was one of those straight-to-video sequels like the ones in the "Bring it on" series. I have no recollection at all of that movie being in the theaters.

And that was why I had no chance on that clue. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

hbomb1947 wrote:I agree with Austin Powers -- the inclusion of TR in the clue served no real purpose other than to divert people away from figuring out the correct answer.
vehemently disagree. there's no way i get this one without TR telling me we're talking about the aughts. (well, maybe from the category alone.) but having him in there just nailed it down.

0/5 for me in solo singers, ugh. some days i can tread water in a pop music category, but this wasn't one of them.

roe v wade is a pretty famous court case that i don't think has been mentioned yet.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jpahk wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I agree with Austin Powers -- the inclusion of TR in the clue served no real purpose other than to divert people away from figuring out the correct answer.
vehemently disagree. there's no way i get this one without TR telling me we're talking about the aughts. (well, maybe from the category alone.) but having him in there just nailed it down.

0/5 for me in solo singers, ugh. some days i can tread water in a pop music category, but this wasn't one of them.

roe v wade is a pretty famous court case that i don't think has been mentioned yet.
Just so we are clear, TR is the ONLY way I can see someone getting it. My problem with the question was, outside of TR plus journalism Pavlov, the rest of the question was talking about some person I've never heard of whose unfortunate demise has nothing actually to do with the answer sought. It seemed like a lot of wasted words, and the way FJs are you try to find import in every word, when here that would not have helped you much.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Don't worry guys, soon we will live our dream of "Form of a Question: The Alex Trebek Story" hitting #1 at the worldwide box office.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Somehow went for "jingoism" first, then took a second look at "exposé" and came up with muckraking a second or two before my dad said it aloud. Whew.

After the three bully responses, my dad said, "How did I ever lose!?" (But I don't think Darryl would have missed it, either.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

hbomb1947 wrote: I would have thought that HSM3 was one of those straight-to-video sequels like the ones in the "Bring it on" series. I have no recollection at all of that movie being in the theaters.

And that was why I had no chance on that clue. :D
High School Musical went an unusual route, compared to film series (particularly animated) that have theatrical releases followed by straight-to-video sequels. The first HSM was a Disney Channel Original Movie released in 2006, watched by a then-record 7.7 million viewers in its original airing. The 2007 sequel drew an astounding 17.2 million viewers in its original airing, a figure that is up there with several Monday Night Football games, as well as the Auburn/Oregon and Alabama/LSU BCS National Championship Games, as the most watched programs in the history of cable television.

With that many people watching the first two movies on cable, Disney chose to release the 3rd film to theaters, and raked in $42 million in its opening weekend, with a total box office of $90 million domestic and $251 million worldwide.