Wednesday, October 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am I'm curious as to how the boardies fared on this clue as well.
I said pizza right away (but with low confidence). My wife and I have made a couple of cauliflower crust pizzas.
I also wagged "pizza", which I assume would fly for "pizza crust". You can always make a "wish pizza" like the Blues Brothers "wish sandwich" :).
Spoiler
a wish sandwich is when you have two slices of bread and you WISH you had some meat :lol:
. I agree it was in the rong row.

I thought it was an entertaining game, far from 220th best for the season. There was (were?) a couple of times when Mary's cadence and demeanor reminded me of one of my favorite comedians, Jane Curtin. It always seemed unlikely she would win, but in the end she should have. I thought her DD wager was just too small by $1k or so, where she could have at least taken the lead and still preserved a comeback margin on a miss.

I even enjoyed the triple rhyme time category, which is usually my second least favorite (before and after is my least favorite).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hopefully somebody here knows: how do you make cauliflower pizza crust without first making cauliflower flour?
davey

Post by davey »

I said cauliflower pasta (though thinking maybe noodles would be better wording). I thought that was reasonable as something for boys. I've seen cauliflower pizza crusts in the store, but crusts as a response wouldn't have occurred to me.
floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Mary is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren. That’s a new one on me.
That is an anabaptist sect akin to the Amish and Mennonites. Their churches have no windows.
I read that too on Google (from non-Brethren sources, it appears), but if you look at Google Images (and their Wikipedia entry too), there are an awful lot of their churches that have windows.
I thought most high school football games are on Saturdays so that clue was easy for me.

Yogi Berra "wrote"...?? (Seriously I thought the charm of his sayings was their off-the-cuff conversational origins.) I didn't read the humor of the quote as unintentional (just modest), so it whizzed right by me. And really, is "most home runs by a catcher" a great stat? I know pitchers are not usually good hitters, but never thought catchers were set apart from other fielders that way. Maybe cause I saw Johnny Bench get a lot of hits when my dad took me to Pirates-Reds games when I was a kid...
Last edited by davey on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am Hopefully somebody here knows: how do you make cauliflower pizza crust without first making cauliflower flour?
Caulipower began selling a brand name flour some time after they started with pizza crusts.
https://www.delish.com/food/a58681/caul ... aking-mix/
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:33 am Yogi Berra "wrote"...?? (Seriously I thought the charm of his sayings was their off-the-cuff conversational origins.) I didn't read the humor of the quote as unintentional (just modest), so it whizzed right by me. And really, is "most home runs by a catcher" a great stat? I know pitchers are not usually good hitters, but never thought catchers were set apart from other fielders that way. Maybe cause I saw Johnny Bench get a lot of hits when my dad took me to Pirates-Reds games when I was a kid...
The line was part of a telegram. Bench shared it on social media after Berra died:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/johnny ... a-telegram

I thought it might have been self-aware humor, and that by 1970—five years past his retirement as a player—that the Cult of Yogi and his fondness for odd turns of phrase had been pretty well established, but apparently “it ain’t over ‘til it’s over” didn’t happen until 1973.

Interestingly, the record for homers by a catcher that Bench set in 1970 was broken only this year, by Salvador Perez.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said flour even though I am a grocery merchandiser and have seen that brand when working frozen pizza.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:33 am And really, is "most home runs by a catcher" a great stat? I know pitchers are not usually good hitters, but never thought catchers were set apart from other fielders that way.
There was a discussion on this board about that record within the last month. It’s too much work for me to link it on my phone but search for “bench” or check the 2021 discussion thread. Helped me know exactly what FJ was talking about but I would have recognized Yogi’s style anyway.

I was able to get pizza crust from the cauliflower clue. I’ve been able to try some frozen vegan pizzas just to see if I liked them. I like the Clo-Clo brand and that uses a sweet potato crust. It’s very spicy. I haven’t liked any of the cauliflower-substitute foods that I’ve tried.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Mary is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren. That’s a new one on me.
That is an anabaptist sect akin to the Amish and Mennonites. Their churches have no windows. Interestingly enough, Brethren are forbidden from watching TV. I don't know how much that is enforced.
This sounds like the Plymouth Brethren Christian Church, an ultra-conservative subgroup of a relatively small sect called the Exclusive Brethren.

The Church of the Brethren, of which my mom was a member, has no objection to TV (why would Mary want to appear on J! otherwise?), and its churches have windows.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am Hopefully somebody here knows: how do you make cauliflower pizza crust without first making cauliflower flour?
Caulipower began selling a brand name flour some time after they started with pizza crusts.
OK, but my question is, why didn't contestant Mary deserve to get her $800 back? The clue didn't say that Gail Becker started the Caulipower line by "marketing" or "selling" the expected response out of cauliflower, it said "making". And wouldn't "making" cauliflower flour be a necessary precursor to "making" cauliflower pizza crust? Is there some way to make the pizza crust without making the flour?
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 pm
davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 am
OK, but my question is, why didn't contestant Mary deserve to get her $800 back? The clue didn't say that Gail Becker started the Caulipower line by "marketing" or "selling" the expected response out of cauliflower, it said "making". And wouldn't "making" cauliflower flour be a necessary precursor to "making" cauliflower pizza crust? Is there some way to make the pizza crust without making the flour?
Buying it? But true, maybe flour should have been in the clue.
Last edited by davey on Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 pm Is there some way to make the pizza crust without making the flour?
Yes, looks like it.

Quick Google search shows me some cauliflower crust recipes where they don’t make it into flour at all and just use it as a base. It also looks like the first Caulipower ingredients are cauliflower are brown rice flour. It doesn’t look to me like they make cauliflower flour at all.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:10 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 pm Is there some way to make the pizza crust without making the flour?
Yes, looks like it.

Quick Google search shows me some cauliflower crust recipes where they don’t make it into flour at all and just use it as a base. It also looks like the first Caulipower ingredients are cauliflower are brown rice flour. It doesn’t look to me like they make cauliflower flour at all.
They do, or did in 2018, as I linked above.
Flour wasn't part of "the Caulipower line" at the time the business started, so that would be the best rationale for not accepting it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Pretty sure the first cauliflower pizza crusts were made from something like mashed cauliflower, not “flour”.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 pm Flour wasn't part of "the Caulipower line" at the time the business started, so that would be the best rationale for not accepting it.
That would not be any rationale at all for not accepting "flour" as a valid response, as long as the pizza crust was made with a flour that was made from cauliflower, for the reasons I already outlined above.

But I can accept "flour" not being accepted if the crusts were made from a mash, without ever flour-izing the cauliflower.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Fleeboy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:47 am
The Church of the Brethren, of which my mom was a member, has no objection to TV (why would Mary want to appear on J! otherwise?), and its churches have windows.
The Church of the Brethren church that I attend and have been attending for 50 years has windows. I've seen a picture of the original church dated 1890 and it has windows. As does other brethren churches I have been in. I'd guess that is around 20 or 30 of them. The church is biggest in the rural part of western PA, but also has a lot of churches in both Ohio and Indiana. If you were to go to Johnstown, PA and ask about a Brethren church, its probably the only city in the USA that most citizens could tell you where one is. There are probably a dozen brethren churches around the city.

Without looking at a Wiki description. Its very conservative denomination that is an offshoot of the Mennonites. I didn't know that they are ordaining women, which has to be fairly recent. Right now, their church doctrine is trying to figure out how to handle the gay marriage issue. Current pastors are not permitted to marry same sex couples.

I live a little over an hour Mary.
Last edited by Sherm on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Could not get 3-2-1 Contact.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am You can always make a "wish pizza" like the Blues Brothers "wish sandwich" :).
Bow bow bow...
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:42 pm
davey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 pm Flour wasn't part of "the Caulipower line" at the time the business started, so that would be the best rationale for not accepting it.
That would not be any rationale at all for not accepting "flour" as a valid response, as long as the pizza crust was made with a flour that was made from cauliflower, for the reasons I already outlined above.

But I can accept "flour" not being accepted if the crusts were made from a mash, without ever flour-izing the cauliflower.
That works too. Problem is, it depends on facts not in evidence for this particular product... :)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm judges:. Ministry for Missionary on the DD? :?:
Definitely no.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

nserven wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 am Interestingly, the record for homers by a catcher that Bench set in 1970 was broken only this year, by Salvador Perez.
I believe the record broken by Perez was for most HRs by a catcher in a single season, whereas Berra's record was for most career HRs by a catcher.