Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These stories got their collective title because little Josephine Kipling insisted they be told exactly the same way each time

Jonathan Fisher: 24100-400=23700 (5x = $117,700)
Nima Aghili: 7800-3401=4399
Connie Smith: 11200-11000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Just So Stories (Jonathan – Twice Told Tales) (Nima – Oft-Repeated) (Connie – Jungle Books)

Daily Doubles
Connie: minus 200+1000
Jonathan: 8800+2500
Jonathan: 17300+2000

Coryats
Jonathan: 22800
Nima: 7800
Connie: 10600

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 4000
Nima: 1400
Connie: 5200
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Contestant pool after Monday's game: Thank God I won't have to play Matt Amodio!

Contestant pool after Friday's game: Well shoot.

Congrats to Jonathan for a week well played.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

NHO the FJ. After watching for so many years, this event rarely happens.
Didn't expect Jonathan to last the whole week. Good for him. Jeopardy! has a nice storyline for ToC.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ha! Another clue in the Aswan High Dam area. TS this time. :o

Last week we had Dean Wormer. Today, two categories were "EYE" & STATE YOUR NAME. :lol:

Jonathan converted DD2 and DD3 to wrap up the lock and the sweep the week. Well done in following Matt's run.

The FJ! category had me eliminated Potter x 2 and Baum due to clue recency while having no inspiration for why it was LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN and not CHILDREN'S LITERATURE other than C.S. Lewis.

How did I do with the FJ! clue? It's easy when you know it. And proved it with millions watching.

J7: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=532

Not sure what else was on Nima's FJ! clue response
Spoiler

Any guesses?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instagot FJ as soon as I saw Kipling :mrgreen:, surprised this was a TS.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm
Spoiler

Any guesses?
IDK for I don't know.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm Ha! Another clue in the Aswan High Dam area. TS this time. :o

Last week we had Dean Wormer. Today, two categories were "EYE" & STATE YOUR NAME. :lol:

Jonathan converted DD2 and DD3 to wrap up the lock and the sweep the week. Well done in following Matt's run.

The FJ! category had me eliminated Potter x 2 and Baum due to clue recency while having no inspiration for why it was LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN and not CHILDREN'S LITERATURE other than C.S. Lewis.

How did I do with the FJ! clue? It's easy when you know it. And proved it with millions watching.

J7: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=532

Spoiler

Any guesses?
I think it's "epic."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I matched the champ in FJ.

I was rooting for Connie, I watched the original version as a child as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper? Wow. Mrs. Penguin and I both had our correct response locked in by the time Mayim was done reading the clue. Children's lit. The name Kipling in the clue. A description that can only plausibly refer to one Kipling book among the three or four they ever ask about. At least one of the contestants managed to guess a Kipling work, but how do you reason that far and not go the rest of the way?

On another note, I did not know that this was the supposed reason for the title. I always figured that it was a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that there wasn't any historical backing or authority for the stories. They were "just so".
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The correct pronunciation of diaeresis is dy-ER-uh-sis. Dieresis is a variant spelling. DIËRESIS with a diaeresis and ÜMLAUT with an umlaut looked odd but probably not wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper? Wow. Mrs. Penguin and I both had our correct response locked in by the time Mayim was done reading the clue. Children's lit. The name Kipling in the clue. A description that can only plausibly refer to one Kipling book among the three or four they ever ask about. At least one of the contestants managed to guess a Kipling work, but how do you reason that far and not go the rest of the way?

On another note, I did not know that this was the supposed reason for the title. I always figured that it was a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that there wasn't any historical backing or authority for the stories. They were "just so".
Poll highest of the week? No chance at all that it is higher than Wednesday. I will also poll NHOI and you will likely find the number surprising as well.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm On another note, I did not know that this was the supposed reason for the title. I always figured that it was a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that there wasn't any historical backing or authority for the stories. They were "just so".
Ditto.

I really liked Connie, not just for her Art Fleming story, but because after coming out of the J! Round with the lead, I thought she might have enough buzzer mojo to put up a real fight against champ Jonathan.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

We studied the Just So Stories in 5th grade and were asked to write our own. Instaget.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Pre-empted by NCIS???? Feh.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Jonathan is the first giant killer to achieve their own streak. Of course, there are only two giant killers now who have won more than one game, but still.

I got this FJ! thanks to Mark. I studied an old game of his that was re-uploaded recently. It pays to study old Jeopardy!, if you can find those games.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper? Wow. Mrs. Penguin and I both had our correct response locked in by the time Mayim was done reading the clue. Children's lit. The name Kipling in the clue. A description that can only plausibly refer to one Kipling book among the three or four they ever ask about. At least one of the contestants managed to guess a Kipling work, but how do you reason that far and not go the rest of the way?

Poll highest of the week? No chance at all that it is higher than Wednesday. I will also poll NHOI and you will likely find the number surprising as well.
Could be. I'll take the first half of the bet. How do we quantify "no chance at all"? At least 10 percentage points lower? I say this FJ will beat that spread even if it doesn't win outright, and it might very well do that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Could be. I'll take the first half of the bet. How do we quantify "no chance at all"? At least 10 percentage points lower? I say this FJ will beat that spread even if it doesn't win outright, and it might very well do that.
W vs. F has two more factors: contestants 3/3 vs. 0/3 yet Hammer is is miss & get

My instincts are W has higher success rate by 20+ and definitely more than 10 points. I'll also pick over 20% for not NHOI for Friday's response.

24 hours from now we'll see how it's going.