FJs for the 10/11/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/11/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Nazi Germany annexed this nation & divided it into regions of the Alps & the Danube; the Allies later divided it into 4 sectors
78%
Last name of brothers James, John, Joseph & Fletcher, whose company published magazines with their name as well as books
29%
When Johnny Bench broke his record, this man wrote, "I always thought the record would stand until it was broken"
91%
On Sept. 30, 1788 William Maclay & Robert Morris, both of Pennsylvania, were chosen as the first 2 these
67%
These stories got their collective title because little Josephine Kipling insisted they be told exactly the same way each time
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
10%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
GEORGE WASHINGTON DID IT $2000: At 26 George married a woman with this last name of her first husband
62%
ON BASE $1000: This Marine "Camp" outside of San Diego was used in TV shows like "Gomer Pyle" & "Baa Baa Black Sheep"
56%
STARS & STONES $2000: Deneb, the "tail" of the swan in this constellation, forms the "Summer Triangle" with Vega & Altair
78%
Czechoslovakia was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
Prior to seeing the Monday game I did NOT know Matt Amodio was going to be defeated.
64%
Prior to seeing the Monday game I DID know Matt Amodio was going to be defeated..
29%
McMillan was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Random was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
9%
Row was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
No votes
I saw Yogi Berra in person, whether a baseball game or other event.
7%
MY FIRST NAME IS A TV SHOW TITLE $1000: Ms. Findlay, Edith Bunker's cousin - I was correct with Maude.
57%
Electors was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
10%
STATE YOUR NAME $800: Stately first name of Mr. Tuxedo, a cartoon penguin voiced by Don Adams - I was correct with Tennessee
56%
I am certain I have seen at least one episode of Tennessee Tuxedo.
47%
As far as I can recall I have never seen an episode of Tennessee Tuxedo prior to Friday.
41%
Twice-Told Tales was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
16%
Even if I had come across it previously, Just So Stories seemed like a "never heard of it" to me when it came up for the Friday FJ! clue.
19%

Total votes: 90

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/11/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

10/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Nazi Germany annexed this nation & divided it into regions of the Alps & the Danube; the Allies later divided it into 4 sectors

10/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PUBLISHING

10/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Last name of brothers James, John, Joseph & Fletcher, whose company published magazines with their name as well as books

10/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS LEGENDS

10/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Johnny Bench broke his record, this man wrote, "I always thought the record would stand until it was broken"

10/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

10/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Sept. 30, 1788 William Maclay & Robert Morris, both of Pennsylvania, were chosen as the first 2 these

10/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN

10/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These stories got their collective title because little Josephine Kipling insisted they be told exactly the same way each time

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Austria
Harper
Yogi Berra
(U.S.) senators
Just So Stories
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-1-3-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have three that Jonathan had correct.

GEORGE WASHINGTON DID IT $2000: At 26 George married a woman with this last name of her first husband

ON BASE $1000: This Marine "Camp" outside of San Diego was used in TV shows like "Gomer Pyle" & "Baa Baa Black Sheep"

STARS & STONES $2000: Deneb, the "tail" of the swan in this constellation, forms the "Summer Triangle" with Vega & Altair

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Custis
Pendleton
Cygnus
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/11/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Liechtenstein
Penguin

Was in the dark on Monday that Matt would not win.

Never seen Yogi in person as best as I can recall though best bet would be when he coached Houston.

Got Maude and of the right age and TV access to have seen Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons many times.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am currently taking Astronomy this semester. I have my midterm this week. The Summer Triangle is a must know for the midterm. If I missed that, I would be in huge trouble.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My theory on the Yogi Berra Final is that it was written by Ken Jennings for Matt Amodio.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No guess Tuesday

Spoiled on Matt’s loss
Saw Yogi at a Yankees Old Timer’s Game
Got Maude
Recognized Tennessee Tuxedo on the reveal, probably saw an episode, but not sure
Just-So Stories in the category of “One of the things I know Kipling wrote”, but I couldn’t tell you anything about them
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Tue - Penguin

Was not spoiled on Monday

I clammed on Maude, but it would've been my DD guess; familiar with the name from a Family Guy joke, not because I knew it as a show.

Yes to Tennessee Tuxedo, but never seen an episode.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( (Random) :mrgreen: :( (Electors) :mrgreen:
Did NOT know Matt was going down Monday. :o
Shoulda got Maude but clammed. :|
I have seen an episode of Tennessee Tuxedo. 8-)
I thought everyone had heard of the Just-So Stories :shock:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got too distracted by the "divided" bit of Monday's FJ and said Czechoslovakia as a Danube country that eventually divided (I realize it didn't divide into four countries, but the way I imagined it, there were two divisions, one of them a Czech/Slovak one, and that was the one that lasted). And I've put my feet in the Danube in Austria.

edit: Thursday I almost got spoiled on FJ because we flipped to the Dodger game and didn't come back in time; luckily I only saw the incorrect response and closed my eyes, plugged my ears, and hummed until I was out of danger, then looked it up on J! Archive and got it right. Because I saw that wrong response I thought the Constitution would come into play, then I saw it was too late in September (and twelve months too late to boot), and was able to make sense of two people elected from the same state and get to senators quickly enough, I felt.

edit 2: I had a Jack Nicholson/Bobby McFerrin tape with "How the Camel Got His Hump" and "How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin," and a song called "Just So" where that's the only lyric, which gave the name of the collection something to stick to whenever it was that I learned it. (I can't find "Just So" on YouTube, though; only other songs I don't remember.)

I was spoiled on Matt's loss by two Facebook posts made by people who have been on the show. I was also spoiled on Jonathan's fifth win because I went to search "Trebek" on J! Archive and went straight to the season 38 page (since the home page aesthetically lacks the search bar) where I saw Jonathan's games were numbered.

I got Maude no problem, though I don't think I've ever watched an episode of it. I've also never seen Tennessee Tuxedo, but that was NHOI for me.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Electors on Thursday.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:---

I said "electors" on Thursday. It was careless and dumb and I'm sorry.

"Twice-Told Tales" was my immediate reaction, but I thought twice. I suspect Mayim was unfamiliar with the Hawt stories or she might have said something more enlightening than "unfortunately that's not correct". We had a bit of both works in school.

I must have seen Yogi, but we were like two ships passing in the night.

I watched plenty of Tennessee and Cholmondeley.

I knew Maude spun off from All in the Family, but didn't remember how.

I bought plenty of frozen pizzas during the Covid lockdown, but I had no guess on the cauliflower clue.

Nobody else spoiled me on Monday. This was not the case with Jennings or Holzhauer.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Czechoslovakia and Random.
I was on vacation, so there was no way I wasn't going to be spoiled. Had I been home and watching in real-time, I probably would not have been (but, as I've said before, spoilers don't bother me at all).
I've seen Yogi in-person at many, many Mets games in my youth.
Got Maude.
Seen Tennessee Tuxedo on the TV.
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Back when Nickelodeon was a relatively young network, it was hurting for morning programming. And that's how I saw Tennessee Tuxedo.

I feel like my correct Friday response might help skew that clue toward looking easy. But after I air-wrote it down, I spent the last 15 seconds of music thinking to myself, "I'll bet that Just So Stories is correct, but I have NO idea where I pulled that title from." There was no reason for me to get that one right.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Didn't know Matt was going out on Monday.
Correct with Tennessee and watched the cartoon as a kid in the 80's.
Correct with Maude.
I would prefer not to.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :(

I found out Matt would lose while I was watching the game.
Never seen Yogi Berra in person.
No guess on Maude.
Never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo, no guess on that either.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yes, I missed the easiest one of the week...The import of the clue blew past me...
I remember Maude and Tennessee Tuxedo very well.
Matt's loss astonished me...I have to say, Wed FJ notwithstanding, my game improved immensely this week. I was as intimidated by Matt as the folks on set.
Last edited by davey on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I wasn’t planning to watch Monday’s episode because of a schedule conflict, so I checked the board to see the FJ and the outcome-literally gasped when I saw Matt had lost, and made the time to watch the episode after all.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I NHO the So So Tales, but recognize the "How the leopard got it's spots" as a likely children's tale. Kipling was probably a little too cerebral and upscale for our ecosystem. I googled up for screen versions and find some cartoon stuff, but no big feature production. I'd think it would be better CGI fodder than some of the stuff they are doing now.

Of course I've "seen, seen, seen, Tennessee Tuxedo" . I frequently triple down on the verb "see" in my head. Jingles are powerful stuff. I always pick the New York AFC team in my football pool just so I can think "Jets, Jets, Jets". (They've never failed to fail me :roll: ).

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As Mark Barrett predicted, the Yogi Berra clue was the runaway winner. 91%. Just-So Stories didn't even make second place as of this writing. But it's only one vote behind Monday's Austria clue which currently has 35 votes for 78%. Just-So's 34 votes give it 76%, quite enough to rank it as a completely fair FJ on the easy side. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

5 for 5 week for me made possible with a lucky guess on the Harper Bros and an educated guess on Senators. I knew Austria from The Third Man as well as from WECIB when you mention the Alps and the Danube and Germany annexing the place. I didn't recall hearing the Yogi Berra quote, but I recognized the man's style. And as we all know, Just-So Stories seemed like such a slam dunk that I questioned the intelligence of any boardie who didn't instantly get it. :)

The Martha Custis clue caught me with my mind wandering. If I'd been paying attention, I think I would've had straight :mrgreen: s for the bonus clues as well. Used to drive past Camp Pendleton all the time going one way or the other, so I wasn't missing that. And Cygnus the Swan is just one of those things I feel like I've always known.

I've seen Tennessee Tuxedo in action and recognized the distinctive voice of Agent 86 before looking for Don Adams in the credits. I don't know if I could've recalled Maude's last name in time. But given that and the Edith Bunker connection, it was no trouble giving her first name.

Matt Amodio's loss on Monday was a surprise. I'm happy about that.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Got spoiled on Matt. Didn't watch the DVR on Monday evening, and got spoiled on Tuesday before I could watch. Watched anyway, of course.

Went with Supreme Court Justices for the two men. In the right neighborhood, but wrong address. Figured it was the startup of government, which was right. I know that Senators were initially appointed and not elected, but didn't consider that while trying to figure out the clue.

Penguin - you may question my knowledge of lit for sure. NHO the just so stories. My general intelligence, though, is OK. I think. Maybe. At least it is in my mind. It can be hard to tell if you're losing it, you know. :lol:

Couldn't stand watching All in the Family or Maude, so no surprise that I didn't get that one.

I'm kinda proud of my ability to suss out Monday from the hints in the clue. I'm sure there were multiple paths to do that, but I started with the Alps to narrow down potential responses, then picked the one that I though most likely to have been invaded AND that I knew had the Danube running through it. So maybe my intelligence is still intact. :P Maybe.
--Peter
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 am Went with Supreme Court Justices for the two men. In the right neighborhood, but wrong address.
Actually, same address after the capital moved to Washington. The Supreme Court met in the Capitol building from 1800 until 1935.