Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6423, 2012-07-18

CONTESTANTS
Julie Bratvold Ghanbari, a stay-at-home mom from San Diego, California
Elisa Leigan, a mental health therapist from San Luis Obispo, California
Dan Burke, a high school theology teacher from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,798)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Dan, at the end of yesterday's program, admitted that he'd have had trouble going back to school if he had missed our final yesterday. Had to do with Abigail from the Bible. So, uh... luck was, uh, on your side yesterday. Will it be there again today as you face Elisa and Julie? Let's start finding out, shall we? Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MYSTERIES & THRILLERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CHINESE ZODIAC ANIMALS (3/3)
BEGINS & ENDS IN "K" (4/5)
NO BED BUT BATH & BEYOND (5/5)
POTPOURRI (4/5)
ADDRESSING THE BALLPARK (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the address, you tell us the team that plays there as their home field.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 11 R, 2 W
Julie: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Elisa: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Dan had $2,200, Elisa had $200, and Julie was at $1,200. Julie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

MYSTERIES & THRILLERS $800: Chapter 1 of this classic is "Spade & Archer"
(Julie: Uh, what is The Long Goodbye?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $4,400
Julie: $1,000
Elisa: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julie Bratvold Ghanbari is one of the few people in our studio today who knows what a feis is. Tell the folks.

Julie: Well, a feis is a competition for Irish dancers.

Alex: Now you're standing exactly where a player was standing yesterday who met her husband at a line dance bar. How did you get interested in Irish dancing?

Julie: Well, it's funny. I don't have a drop of Irish blood. And, um, but my younger daughter wanted to take it up, and so, uh, when I started to take her to class and see how much fun it was, I decided to sign up for adult lessons, and my older daughter decided to sign up as well.

Alex: Terrific. So pretty much become a family thing. Are there a lot of mothers who have taken it up?

Julie: There are. Not only mothers, there are grandfathers that do dances with their kids, and, I mean, it's a--it's a family thing.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Elisa Leigan is from San Luis Obispo. She is a mental health therapist. Now did you need therapy--

[Elisa laughs.]

Alex: --after you knocked down a very famous, kind, sweet old lady named...

Elisa: Mother Teresa. Yeah.

Alex: Knocked her down. With your fist?

Elisa: No, I was... [sighs] it was--I was doing something, I don't even want to say what it is, 'cause I'd like to go back to Italy someday, but I was taking a picture of something I wasn't supposed to. I was there with 35 teenagers for a Holy Year. And I was trying to take the picture, she had just finished speaking, I was backing up, getting the picture. I heard the crowd behind me and I felt a thump, and then I heard a really loud gasp. And I turned around, and she's very short, and when she's on the ground, she's even shorter.

[Laughter]

Elisa: And I had knocked over Mother Teresa.

[Laughing]

Alex: We all are.

Elisa: She was okay.

Alex: We all are when we're on the ground.

Elisa: [Laughs] Yeah.

Alex: Dan Burke, a high school theology teacher. We found out yesterday that he attended an all-male high school and college, and after graduating, spent four months in a tent?

Dan: Yes.

Alex: Was that penance or something?

Dan: [Laughs] My friend found us jobs in Colorado photog--uh, taking pictures of whitewater rafting trips.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Dan: And a gentlemen out there donated his land to summer employees to camp out. The only problem was, uh, there was a fire ban in the whole state that year, so we couldn't have a campfire the whole summer.

Alex: Oh, too bad. But the rafting was fun, wasn't it?

Dan: Uh, it was a drought, so the river was very low.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Does the word "bummer" mean anything to you?

Dan: A little bit.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTPOURRI $200: If you roll a standard 6-sided die & a 2 comes up, this number is on the bottom
(Elisa: What is 4?)
(Alex: They always add up to 7. So if a 2's on top, [*]'s on the bottom.)

BEGINS & ENDS IN "K" $600: Your relatives
(Dan: [no response])
(Elisa: What are kith & kin?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,800
Elisa: $3,800
Julie: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OED SEZ (4/5) (Alex: The Oxford English Dictionary.)
CRAZY ABOUT QUEBEC (2/2)
IT'S AN OLYMPIC YEAR! (4/5)
"C" MONSTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OPUS & OPERA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FILL IN THE BEST PICTURE TITLE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: 5 R, 2 W
Elisa: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Dan had $8,200, Elisa had $3,800, and Julie was at $7,400. Julie wagered $2,000.

"C" MONSTERS $2000: The Greeks said this fire-breather was part lion, part dragon & part goat--but maybe it was a figment of their imagination

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Dan had $9,000, Elisa had $2,200, and Julie was at $12,200. Julie wagered $2,500.

OPUS & OPERA $2000: His Opus 68 is "From the Bohemian Forest", composed around 1883
(Julie: Uh, Tchai--who is Tchaikovsky?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FILL IN THE BEST PICTURE TITLE $1200: 2008, things are much different behind the scenes at "Jeopardy!": "S.M."
(Alex: [looking at the camera] We don't like that show, do we? [raises eyebrows])

FILL IN THE BEST PICTURE TITLE $2000: 1945's makes you wish it was Monday: "T.L.W."

THE OED SEZ $2000: A "proposition which forms the basis for a...theory...a starting point for reasoning"
(Julie: What is a hypothesis?)

IT'S AN OLYMPIC YEAR! $2000: The U-2 incident; incidentally, U2's Bono is born
(Elisa: What is 1962?)
(Julie: What is 1968?)
(Dan: What is 1956?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julie: $10,900
Dan: $9,000
Elisa: $2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Julie: Wager $7,101 to cover Dan. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,701.
Dan: Your score is within 4/5ths of Julie's, so wager between $3,801 (venusian) and $4,599 (martian), beating Julie's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Elisa's part.
Elisa: You just can't cover a rational wager by Dan, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 17th century king was the last British monarch to enter the House of Commons

FINAL SCORES
Elisa: $2,200 - $0 = $2,200 (Who is James II?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dan: $9,000 - $8,997 = $3 (Who was Charles II?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $10,900 + $7,101 = $18,001 (Who is Charles I) (New champion: $18,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julie: $14,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Dan: $9,000, 16 R, 4 W
Elisa: $2,200, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $25,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Julie: 22/61 = .361
Dan: 16/58 = .276
Elisa: 10/58 = .172
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ADDRESSING THE BALLPARK $600: 333 West Camden Street
(Dan: Who are the Red Sox?)

POTPOURRI $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) An orphan is the first line of a paragraph on its own at the bottom of a page; this term is used for the last line of a paragraph alone at the top of a page

NO BED BUT BATH & BEYOND $400: Take a Chance...or a Coco Mademoiselle; both are women's fragrances from this company
(Alex: With a minute to go, you're right.)

NO BED BUT BATH & BEYOND $1000: Face facts: face products from this Paris company include Age Perfect & Revitalift
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

IT'S AN OLYMPIC YEAR! $400: The Liberty Bell moves to a pavilion north of Independence Hall; Israeli commandos take on hijackers at Entebbe
(Dan: What is 1972?)

OPUS & OPERA $1600: It's the title of Elgar's Opus 78 & of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical, opus no. unknown, featuring actors on roller skates
(Elisa: What is Pomp and Circumstance?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

CRAZY ABOUT QUEBEC $800: The name Quebec comes from the Algonquian for "place where the river narrows", referring to this river
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Maltese Falcon
kinfolk
a Chimera
Antonin Dvorak
Slumdog Millionaire
The Lost Weekend
a premise
Charles I
the Orioles
a widow
Chanel
L'Oréal
Starlight Express
the St. Lawrence
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

British History
This 17th century king was the last British monarch to enter the House of Commons.
Spoiler
Who is Charles I? Elisa said James II; Dan said Charles II.

Julie Bratvold Ghanbari: $10,900+$7,101=$18,001...now a 1-day champion with $18,001
Dan Burke: $9,000-$8,997=$3
Elisa Leigan: $2,200-$0=$2,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Identical situation to yesterday: 12 right round one. 9 right in DJ. Missed FJ. I went with James II.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Severe weather rolling thru NYC and the weatherman won't shut up...I'm starting to get nervous.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote:Severe weather rolling thru NYC and the weatherman won't shut up...I'm starting to get nervous.
I almost missed the show myself. I didn't turn the TV on until about ten minutes in. I like to speed through the ads, so I watch the DVR recording. But we had bad weather here today and my show timers got erased, so I couldn't go back and watch the first part of the show. Then more problems cropped up and I missed the entire first half of the show.

I got FJ, but it was more of an educated guess than anything else. Strangely, on yesterday's category of "First names" I guessed it would be about British monarchs.

I am precalling right now TPH will complain he can't keep all the kings and queens straight since they all have the same naems.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I love Janet Evanovich's work (the books on CD have an awesome reader), but I'm downright ashamed that I could not remember Stephanie Plum's name. I think I said something like "Who is… um… DAMN IT!!!!" (By the by, my mom and sister thought the One for the Money movie sucked. I tried to warn them that it had only 2% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.)

Less shameful blank-outs on Juan Valdez and Tarot cards.

Should've known chimera, but I said cockatrice instead because, you know, Fluttershy.

British History? Didn't we just have this category? Yeah, screw it. Anyone wanna make a Kings pavlov thingy? I've tried looking them all up and can't find any way to remember a damn thing about any of them. There's like, forty billion of them and I'd like to know which ones are important, and how to tell Whomever the I from Whomever the MCMVI.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

J round. I liked these questions, though I always feel underwhelmed by these consumer product categories. I thought they were a bit tough at top - usually they don't ask for words like Kodiak or a specific date that high up, but they were reasonable given the other questions. The K category in particular had a nice range I thought.

The opposite side of a dice was a TS? It's $200, someone ring in and throw up a number! Kinfolk was also surprisingly a TS given the amount of time pausing and waiting for people to answer on that one.

Said Phillies for Camden for some reason and took prolly a second too long for the show to pull Joe Nuxhall.

Was the answer to the book question "widow"? I couldn't hear.

DJ. I took a second on the Elgar question since I was so surprised he had something named "Starlight Express."

I liked both DDs, and my recollection is that the eventual champ got all three DDs and missed each.

I enjoyed how Alex gave that OMG look on the Slumdog question. That category seemed like very easy money.

I had a very nice DJ, but I ran aground on "premise," as I said "axiom," which feels more bottom rowish. Honestly I don't know the two can be so distinguished in a brief blurb like that, and I think the question's a little iffy because of that.

The eventual winner played well, looked good on TV, had some nice gets, some strange whiffs on the DDs, but pulled out the FJ nicely. I didn't know that fact but Charles I felt like the very obvious choice given how he ended. I was happy that each person actually gave an English king from that century, and not, for example, King Phillip.

Ouch on the defending champ's bet. And third's sit and wait bet garnered her an extra $1000 but essentially guaranteed that she could not win. I guess that's probably what she felt she could get out of that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:The opposite side of a dice was a TS? It's $200, someone ring in and throw up a number!
Still a good chance of all three guessing wrong if you don't know that they always add up to 7 (I didn't).
Austin Powers wrote:Was the answer to the book question "widow"? I couldn't hear.
Eeyup.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The opposite side of a dice was a TS? It's $200, someone ring in and throw up a number!
Still a good chance of all three guessing wrong if you don't know that they always add up to 7 (I didn't).
Well, someone has said "6" and "2" is eliminated. It's true, there's only a 50/50 chance of guessing with four numbers remaining, but I'd like to think someone would... roll the dice and give a number nearish to six to see if that works.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I guessed the wrong Charles :(

Guess I should have paid more attention in 10th grade history.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Julie on the win!

For the most part I liked this board, but there were two categories in the DJ round that I thought were awful: the Olympic years one and the movies from initials one. Most of the time a clue that asks for a year will be bad, and in this case I thought that the information that was given in the clues was way too trivial. Similar to the Olympic years, I am never a fan of a category that wants you to give a title (movie, book, song, etc.) from its initials, and again, in this case I thought that the clues that went with the initials were not at all helpful.

I joined the male contestant in having a brain fart and guessing Boston for Camden Yards. I have no idea why. It's ironic for me, too, because Camden Yards is the only MLB stadium that I have been to besides Turner Field and the old Fulton County Stadium.

I thought of the restoration period on the FJ clue and went straight for Charles II, but Charles I also seemed like a good possibility because he came immediately before Charles II. Unfortunately, I stuck with my first instinct.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats to Julie! Well done, and looking forward to seeing you more. I assume a full report is forthcoming.

Ran Stadium Addresses like bad Mexican food through a ... yeesh, better not continue that sentence.
r2868
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by r2868 »

I believe there was a question in the Olympic category that stated Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America in the 1980's. I don't remember the exact answer, but because it was an Olympic year it obviously had to be an even number. Well, Vanessa Williams won the title in 1983, so I'm wondering if the clue was inaccurate or if I'm just mistaken. Please help!!
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

[quote="StevenH"
For the most part I liked this board, but there were two categories in the DJ round that I thought were awful: the Olympic years one and the movies from initials one. Most of the time a clue that asks for a year will be bad, and in this case I thought that the information that was given in the clues was way too trivial. Similar to the Olympic years, I am never a fan of a category that wants you to give a title (movie, book, song, etc.) from its initials, and again, in this case I thought that the clues that went with the initials were not at all helpful.[/quote]

I somewhat agree about the Olympic years, but "Best Picture Winners" realllly narrows it down for that category. There's no excuse for not knowing the response when you have "Best Picture Winner....2008....'S.M.'" as part of the clue.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

I believe there's a ceremony in England each time a new Parliament sits. The monarch approaches the door to the House of Commons, and it's slammed in his/her face. Charles I monkeyed with Parliament, an MP named Cromwell led a rebellion, and that was the last time a king thought it was OK to enter.

Eugene could tell it better.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

r2868 wrote:I believe there was a question in the Olympic category that stated Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America in the 1980's. I don't remember the exact answer, but because it was an Olympic year it obviously had to be an even number. Well, Vanessa Williams won the title in 1983, so I'm wondering if the clue was inaccurate or if I'm just mistaken. Please help!!
She was crowned in (September) 1983 as Miss America 1984. So, both you and Jeopardy! are right (although J! may be wrong as I don't remember their wording of the clue)
Austin Powers wrote:Well, someone has said "6" and "2" is eliminated.
I remembered the contestant's response as 4 ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alamble

Post by alamble »

r2868 wrote:I believe there was a question in the Olympic category that stated Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America in the 1980's. I don't remember the exact answer, but because it was an Olympic year it obviously had to be an even number. Well, Vanessa Williams won the title in 1983, so I'm wondering if the clue was inaccurate or if I'm just mistaken. Please help!!
Although the pageant itself was held in September '83, she's considered by the Miss America organization to be Miss America 1984. So the question is accurate, though sorta misleading.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Leah wrote:I believe there's a ceremony in England each time a new Parliament sits. The monarch approaches the door to the House of Commons, and it's slammed in his/her face. Charles I monkeyed with Parliament, an MP named Cromwell led a rebellion, and that was the last time a king thought it was OK to enter.

Eugene could tell it better.
Doesn't Lizzie give the "Speech from the Throne" (somewhat akin to your State of the Union Address) from Parliament? Here in Canada, the Governor General (or the sovereign if they are in town at the time) gives the speech from ornate chairs in the Canadian Parliament. I'm pretty sure as a fellow Westminster parliamentary democracy nation (OK, that term doesn't sound right) that Britain also has Speeches from the Throne to outline the government's plans for the upcoming parliamentary session, and, since the UK lacks a Governor General (for obvious reasons) the sovereign themselves reads it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was fairly certain it was one of the Charles's, but didn't see any way to know which one. Obviously, I guessed the wrong one.

Cograts, Julie!