Thursday, July 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Anthropology
The most famous resident of the National Museum of Ethiopia is the very old young lady named this.
Spoiler
What is Lucy? Julie said Sheba.
Julie Bratvold Ghanbari: $14,400-$6,401=$7,999
Mike McStravick: $10,400+$10,400=$20,800...now a 1-day champion with $20,800
Shelly Green: $7,000+$3,500=$10,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I almost went with Sue for FJ but corrected myself at the last minute...anyone else?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I actually thought the Early America category was decent difficulty - Kidd as a middle row clue is great, I could see someone saying Blackbeard there. Actually come to think of it thats tougher than St Augustine or Drake.

Money was a decent category, too, underused area for questions. I suspect "graduated tax" would be ok on the DD though I decided that "progressive" was probably what they wanted. Hub was a decent enough rhyming category, the Sandberg question was good.

After the the Victor Hugo question, I was surprised to see the third person not take a similar flyer on New Netherlands. I have to admit I wasn't sure on New Holland vs Netherlands but if pinned down would have said Netherlands as I associated New Holland with Australia.

So the middle guy was driving me absolutely bananas, first with this whole "let's uh pick uh [CATEGORY NAME]" routine, then hopping around in this bizarre manner where he'd go to the middle, then down one, then back to the $200s, not in some sort of disorienting Forrest bounce sort of way, but mostly in two categories so it wasn't like anyone was thrown off. He also seemed to be a bit reactive to not getting questions in a way they don't encourage, lots of body language and stuff.

It got a little better in the DJ round, he wasn't quite as wacky. I was surprised to see so many clues left but then everyone was taking their time picking questions in general though, lots of looking around. I think the downside of hopping around is that though it shouldn't take any longer it does seem to take longer to pick.

Popes played nicely, it was a very TOM friendly category. In Doobies, I had no idea what to make of the top clue - okay yeah that song did go to Number One - but nothing in the lyric was really helpful. But then I righted things and figured that they might even mention that "China Grove" was set in Texas (I thought it was near Austin but hey) and sure enough there it was, BAM, $2000.

In Dining, I was surprised to see Yellow Tail above ceviche; though I like cheap wine, marinated fish dish is pretty Pavlovian for ceviche.

Rivers was good, too, not surprised to see someone miss Kwai by placing it in Burma, and also not shocked at the complete and total lack of Canadian geography knowledge once more. The pull on the DD by the champ was nice, at first I was like "uh I need to make sure this isn't the Ukraine" but the length of the river meant it was Russia. Looking it up, it empties into the Black right next to the Ukraine.

I didn't really the title of the Cin category but I like it when they have the answers have the letters inside the words on occasion - as long as it's pretty obvious they are doing that and it's not like 4 where it starts with Cin and the fifth is like BAM! What is incinerator? or something like that.

At the end, the guy who took forever to pick almost did himself in when he couldn't pull China Grove, since he basically let time run out. I understand why he did it but I suspect he had absolutely zero clue about the answer at hand. Your loss, it's a great song. Check out Yacht Rock on youtube.

Some slightly timid DD betting. The champ might as well go all in instead of leaving $800, the guy who got the other DD should have also gone all in as getting to $5000 only helped him a tad. Of course it didn't matter.

I thought the FJ would be a slam dunk, sorry that the champ didn't get it if only because the middle guy is back tomorrow to terrorize me with his hopping around the board to make sure all the $200s get revealed. Might have to TiVo.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The two men tonight were boring. Especially the guy on the right. The best he could do story-wise is that he hates GPSes? Wow.

Didn't do so well after tearing it up the last two days. Early America and Book & Author were all stand-and-stare for me. Also never realized those were called memory cards — I've always just called them camera cards or cards.

Doobie Brothers was also a stand and stare. I've heard of them, but never realized they had any hits, much less a #1. I always figured they were a well known name that was completely under the radar hit-wise, like NRBQ.

FJ! was a very, very instaget.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:In Doobies, I had no idea what to make of the top clue - okay yeah that song did go to Number One - but nothing in the lyric was really helpful.
Yeah, I thought that was a very tough one for the top row. Even singing to the title takes a little while.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The two men tonight were boring. Especially the guy on the right. The best he could do story-wise is that he hates GPSes? Wow.

Didn't do so well after tearing it up the last two days. Early America and Book & Author were all stand-and-stare for me. Also never realized those were called memory cards — I've always just called them camera cards or cards.

Doobie Brothers was also a stand and stare. I've heard of them, but never realized they had any hits, much less a #1. I always figured they were a well known name that was completely under the radar hit-wise, like NRBQ.

NRBQ's radar is far lower than the Doobies. Most of the Doobies' hits were from 1972-81, but they returned to touring in 1987 after a breakup of several years since and have made maybe four albums since that time. Michael Mcdonald is the best known member of them, he was with them from circa 1976-1982 before their breakup, he did not return to the band after it reformed. Michael had a fair amount of solo success, and sang backup on quite a few more big hits of the 70s and 80s, and one of the clues on today's show referenced a solo hit of his(one of the clues in the Doobie category went unrevealed)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The two men tonight were boring. Especially the guy on the right. The best he could do story-wise is that he hates GPSes? Wow.

I don't think you can hold stories against contestants. The returning champ lady probably had a better story than "I prepared for the show" (though such preparation can't be said of every player), but Alex just picks something and runs with it.

On the other hand, hopping around the board like you're trying to avoid the Whammy I'll hold against a player, especially if it doesn't seem to have a strategic end. That's under your control.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Darn. Sorry to see you go so quickly, Julie. I thought the mention of engineering meant you had a Roger thing going. Especially sorry that you couldn't pull Lucy out; I'm guessing you knew that one and lost it in the lights.

I have a vague feeling I know Shelly somehow; he was from the area I grew up in. Maybe he'll show up on here. Speaking of whom, I'll have to wait until it's up on the Archive to see the actual clue, but I was sure they were going to reverse his answer of precinct instead of vicinity.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Speaking of whom, I'll have to wait until it's up on the Archive to see the actual clue, but I was sure they were going to reverse his answer of precinct instead of vicinity.
I'm pretty sure the clue said something about "being in close proximity to" or something like that. "Precinct" wouldn't fit that part.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I think the Doobie Brothers category was easier if you're at least 40. As for NRBQ, I have to admit I'd never heard of them until I read this board tonight.

On FJ, Lucy came to mind, but I thought she was in another African country (South Africa maybe?), and instead went with Nefertiti. :roll: Yes, I now know she was Egyptian.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The only reason I know about NRBQ is because Al Anderson is a prolific country music songwriter.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was waiting for Mad Anthony Wayne, so the DD would have been very tempting for a huge move. $1600 by Shelly doesn't cut it. Bye bye.

Mike was all over the place with selecting, responses and game play. We'll see how he does at counter 1 tomorrow.

Three Musketeers for me on the Hugo clue to make myself look like a Dum-ass.

The FJ clue was a diamond in the rough as Anthropology had me fearful of picking from this line-up:

Tough loss for Julie to have a solid DJ round and the lead entering FJ. The game was there for taking even with the ill will earned by switching out out of the dream Movie Coach category.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Not only did Mike hop around and react to misses, but he also seemed absolutely disgusted to have to go to each and every category. Why were they all distasteful? Here's hoping he finds more pleasure in the selections tomorrow.

I'll bet Julie took longer on the river DD because she was trying to figure out whether the territory had been Ukrainian. I was too, and also went with Russia, but it would have taken me just as long for the internal debate.

Thought the FJ was very easy, and I was happy that Julie had an easy one from the lead. Then I noticed her struggling. Sadness; was pulling for her.

I cannot stand Michael McDonald's voice. I would have done very poorly in the Doobie category.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

I concur that Mike appeared to hate every category, which was a bit on the difficult side to watch. I'm sad they didn't get to all of the Popes (I'm gonna imagine that the $200 clue was: "This was the first Pope to combine the names of his predecessors."), nor all of the NYT Dining. Doobies category was tough - the $200 clue was more like a $1600, while the Jesus clue was clearly the easiest...

I agree that the Early America category was tough. I got 1, missed 2, and didn't bother to guess on the other two. That was close to a DJ!-level category. Otherwise solid rounds for me. I've started tracking my Coryats this week, and I'm liking the boards they've been showing.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote: I cannot stand Michael McDonald's voice. I would have done very poorly in the Doobie category.
Hey, we agree on something.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:In Doobies, I had no idea what to make of the top clue - okay yeah that song did go to Number One - but nothing in the lyric was really helpful.
Yeah, I thought that was a very tough one for the top row. Even singing to the title takes a little while.
I agree, i was dazed when that clue was revealed.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

"cherub" doesn't rhyme with "hub". there, i think i can stop beating that horse now.

julie, sorry to see you go. nice game, but it so often comes down to final.

i admit i'm not an expert on US history, but yikes, i've never heard of new netherlands. i had a feeling it wasn't new amsterdam, as i'm pretty sure that just refers to what we call new york now. and in a way the answer was inferable, but that still makes it a pretty rough $400 clue.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin Powers wrote:I actually thought the Early America category was decent difficulty - Kidd as a middle row clue is great, I could see someone saying Blackbeard there. Actually come to think of it thats tougher than St Augustine or Drake.

After the the Victor Hugo question, I was surprised to see the third person not take a similar flyer on New Netherlands. I have to admit I wasn't sure on New Holland vs Netherlands but if pinned down would have said Netherlands as I associated New Holland with Australia.
The Dutch colony was New Netherland -- no plural. You would have been in for quite a Revelation if you'd said New Netherlands. :mrgreen: I wasn't surprised to see one of the contestants neg with New Amsterdam, which of course was the former name for New York City, not for the entire colony. And that clue was some nice Lach trash for this Gotham resident. :)

Regarding clue valuation: "Leo" in the popes category for $2,000 seemed very easy when they threw in the TOM "roaring" or whatever form of that verb they used.

Instaget here on FJ. I think the category "anthropology" was key, as it leads you to think of really old humans (and proto-humans). Combined with "Africa = cradle of humanity" -- boom, it's gotta be Lucy (it wasn't gonna be Peking Man or Java Man). :) Was sorry to see Julie not come up with that, but congrats to Julie on being a Jeopardy! champion.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide