Friday, July 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6425, 2012-07-20

CONTESTANTS
Andy Baggarly, a journalist and author from Palo Alto, California
Lisa Farricker, a nursing student from Winchester, Virginia
Mike McStravick, a homicide detective from Houston, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you for tuning us in today to help wrap up the week here on Jeopardy! A good champion in Mike and two good challengers in Lisa and Andy. So let's get to it. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here come your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FORESTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITY BOOKS (5/5)
MILITARY MATTERS (4/5)
INVENTIVE AD WORDS (5/5)
5 ABOUT 5 (5/5)
INSIDE SHAKESPEARE (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a shorter word made up of the letters in the word "Shakespeare"

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andy: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lisa: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Mike: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lisa: $3,800
Mike: $1,800
Andy: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andy Baggarly is a journalist who has a lifetime eligibility to vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Gonna put you on the spot, Andy. There are some very definite opinions regarding certain star players who were suspected of taking steroids and stuff like that. Based on their accomplishments, they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. How do you feel about those situations?

Andy: Well, I cover a team. Uh, Barry Bonds plays for the team I cover, and--and I covered him, uh, breaking the all-time home run record, so I was right there on the ground floor of that, and, uh, it's gonna be very difficult, uh, for a lot of voters to decide if the steroids enhanced their numbers to the point where they wouldn't be hall of famers or if any steroid use makes them ineligible. For me, I think that, uh, someone like them should be in the hall of fame because, uh, it's just--it's very difficult, but that's--that's the answer I have.

Alex: Okay. All right. So I didn't put you on the spot that much. You handled that very well.

Andy: Thank you.

Alex: Lisa Farricker is a nursing student, ladies and gentlemen. She was sitting in a bar, reading a book called Abraham. A man sat down next to her. Go on.

Lisa: He did. He sat down next to me, and after he introduced himself, I didn't believe him because I thought he was just trying to pull one over after seeing the name of the book that I was reading. So I made him show me his driver's license, and sure enough, that was his name.

Alex: Abraham?

Lisa: Abraham. And I married him. [Laughs] Not that night.

Alex: Oh, I was--I was gonna say, you're kind of easy. That's--that's not good. If all it takes is a book--ohh! I know. All right.

Alex: Mike McStravick is our champion. He and his family travel across Texas and for a specific purpose. And that is?

Mike: Sample different barbecue places around Texas.

Alex: Right. Does Texas have the best barbecue or does Kansas?

Mike: Oh, T-Texas, definitely.

Alex: Really?

Mike: Yeah.

Alex: Why? Because of the Mexican influence?

Mike: I think the combination--the German, Mexican, and the Bohemian influences that kind of coalesce there.

Alex: Okay. Good to know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Mike had $2,200, Lisa had $3,800, and Andy was at $2,400. Andy wagered $1,600.

FORESTS $800: At 4,898 feet, Feldberg is the highest point in this German forest known for its mineral springs

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MILITARY MATTERS $800: This German made his first balloon ascent as a military observer for the Union army in the civil war

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andy: $7,800
Lisa: $5,000
Mike: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIRDS OF A FEATHER (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
McWRITERS (3/5)
HEADING FOR "DIXIE" (5/5)
STREET SMARTS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BRITISH HISTORY (5/5)
OLD FRIENDS, NEWER GIGS (5/5) (Alex: The "FRIENDS" underlined--that's a reference to the popular TV series.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Andy: 9 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Lisa: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Mike had $13,400, Lisa had $6,200, and Andy was at $9,800. Andy wagered $2,200.

BIRDS OF A FEATHER $1600: Little spotted,
North Island brown,
South Island brown
(Andy: What are pelicans?)
(Alex: No, what are [*]? North Island, South Island, New Zealand...)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Mike had $13,400, Lisa had $4,200, and Andy was at $10,400. Andy wagered $3,000.

STREET SMARTS $1200: This capital's Gran Via was renamed Avenida Jose Antonio, after the founder of the Fascist Party
(Andy: What is Havana?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]? You had to think of Franco and that period preceding World War II.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
McWRITERS $1200: Dubbed "The Dragonlady", she was known for her sci-fi/fantasy series "Dragonriders of Pern"

McWRITERS $2000: He moved in next door to Sarah Palin to research his 2011 biography of her
(Andy: Who is McCollough?)
(Alex: The author is [*].)

BIRDS OF A FEATHER $1200: Bee,
Anna's,
Blue-throated
(Lisa: What is a warbler?)
(Alex: They're 3 different kinds of [*].)

STREET SMARTS $800: Tivoli is in Copenhagen; this is the similar-sounding name of the Paris street along the north side of the Louvre
(Lisa: What is Trivoli?)
(Alex: It's called [*].)

STREET SMARTS $1600: The city of Salford, near Manchester, has the real street that inspired this British soap opera
(Andy: What is Downton Abbey?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $15,400
Andy: $7,800
Lisa: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT FILMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Mike: Wager $201 to cover Andy, but no more than $599 so as not to fall behind Lisa's doubled score.
Andy: You have the hope of surpassing Mike if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,601 to force Mike to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Lisa.
Lisa: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of its first lines is "I won't talk! I won't say a word!!!"

FINAL SCORES
Lisa: $7,400 - $7,300 = $100 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Andy: $7,800 + $7,800 = $15,600 (What is The Artist?) (New champion: $15,600)
Mike: $15,400 - $1,000 = $14,400 (What is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [revealing Andy's response] The best film of the year--the Oscar winner--you are correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $15,400, 16 R, 0 W
Andy: $12,200, 23 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Lisa: $7,400, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Andy: 24/61 = .393
Mike: 16/58 = .276
Lisa: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MILITARY MATTERS $1000: (Kelly gives the clue from the USS Iwo Jima)

A heavy armor version of the Abrams tank was never penetrated during the first Gulf War because its super hard armor contains the depleted type of this element, isotope 238

INVENTIVE AD WORDS $1000: Don't look in the dictionary for "swapportunity", a word provided by this brand that makes Go-gurt
(Andy: What is Dannon?)

BRITISH HISTORY $2000: In the 16th century, Richard Davies, Bishop of St. David's, helped translate the New Testament into this language
(Lisa: What is English?)
(Alex: [*]--yes--St. David's.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Black Forest
Ferdinand Zeppelin
kiwis
Madrid
Anne McCaffrey
Joe McGuinness
hummingbirds
the Rue de Rivoli
Coronation Street
The Artist
uranium
Yoplait
Welsh
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, July 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Couldn't hear the correct response on Books for $800. What was it?

Can't believe I missed a Zooey Deschanel clue. Between that and missing Stephanie Plum, I should hang it up right now.

Nor can I believe I missed out on Coronation Street when spotted "British", "soap opera" and "street" when I JUST heard Film Brain talking about it a couple hours ago. For some reason, I couldn't get Fawlty Towers out of my head.

Zooey cost me the run in that category, and shark cost me the run in Shakespeare since I had NHO nurse sharks and was was so fixated on the cat family with "tiger" staring me in the face.

Friends was a total 0/5. I find the show only slightly less unwatchable than Seinfeld, and am just as baffled as to how Friends was ever a hit. Seriously, what does anyone see in that show?!

Recent films? Could be anything from an instaget to "What the heck is that film?" Yep, it's the latter. The Artist? Huh? NHOI.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

What a finish! Getting the clue at the end of DJ to make it a game, and then hitting FJ for the win. I was rooting for Andy as a baseball fan, and that was really exciting. Now excuse me while I give my girlfriend a hard time for blurting out the FJ answer before I had a chance to think about it.

TPH, you've seriously never heard of the best picture from just last year??
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:TPH, you've seriously never heard of the best picture from just last year??
I don't pay attention to the film industry, especially not the awards. And a French romantic film definitely doesn't sound like my thing.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I've heard of The Artist, but I did miss it. (I didn't like the choice of clue words. If you've never watched the film, such as myself, kind of hard to know that.)

I was seriously rooting for Mike to win again. Not impressed by Andy or Lisa whatsoever. Well, at least this season is almost over. (I'm really looking forward more to Kids Week, considering the Teen Tourney went so well.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

When the FJ clue came up, my initial thought was: "Well, I don't stand a chance. I haven't seen a movie with those lines." Then I began to wonder: "What if the reference to not talking is TOM for a silent film?" I then remembered there was a silent film that was quite popular last year. After about 10 seconds I managed to come up with the correct title.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I think the idea of going to Military Matters for $1000 is interesting. On one hand, it can throw your opponents off early. On the other, you're the defending champ, maybe take out a weaker category early, as you know you have a better handle on the buzzer at that point.

Also on the other hand, this was obviously a good category for the champ (in his mind, didn't get Zeppelin), so don't you want to save it, in case the DD is there? Or do you want to get a lot of money first, THEN get the DD, assuming it is in another category?

I had good intuitions during the round, guessing correctly on Yoplait (vs Dannon) and Goldberg (vs Behar).

I thought the round itself played well, I think the contestants had one TS amongst them. It felt a little easy in spots - "harp" for $1000 is one example, and depleted uranium seems common enough to me. The DD, on Black Forest, was indeed a "what else could it be?" kind of moment.

So DJ. Once again the champ started aggressively. He clearly knows history and monopolized questions in that area, which not only included British history but two unrelated $2000s - Friedrichstrasse and Dixiecrats. I have difficulty assessing his knowledge base, because outside of history, something requiring some pretty wild knowledge - the hummingbird species, or Coronation Street, he wasn't on top of any more than his opponents. Fortunately he was a little less deliberative today, and we got to see all clues.

But some strange stuff - Muscovy and Mandarin duck strike me as well known, so I thought that was a surprise $2000, especially when the $1600 above as the DD required the deductive effort to go from North and South Island to New Zealand to kiwi (nice question). And the hummingbirds was a TS.

I couldn't hear well, but I assume they wanted "Rivoli" for the Parisian Street. I thought that category was harder at the top than the bottom - Rivoli if that was it is more obscure that surmising what the German street was, and Coronation Street is probably tougher than the German Street, too. I can appreciate why the guy missed the DD there, I think of Spain as more "Falangist" than "fascist" myself, but I am like that. Still, not sure what world capital would seem like a better answer there, as it had to be a Spanish country and Buenos Aires would have been clearly Peron.

I'm glad the contestant at the end actually went for it on the last clue - he really should have been keeping track of Friends there, meaning there was only Perry and LeBlanc to pick from. Likewise, I am inclined to think that the champ should have just buzzed in, knowing that the lock was at stake and that the other guy needed to ring and say something. I suppose that assumes the other guys knows the cast of Friends, but it's Jeopardy and I think you kinda have to.

The champ was a funny guy. His habit still drove me absolutely insane - it's not that he is doing a Forrest Bounce, which I can appreciate, but this weird thing where he will pick and play with a couple of categories, taking essentially as long as possible to go through them, as he'll look around and decide that, yes, that $400 left unanswered is the one you want after all. But if you were Forrest Bouncing you'd aggressively hop down more toward the bottom of all categories, in part to confuse your foes, and in part to get the DDs (note that he didn't get a single DD all game). Instead we'd cover essentially the same couple of categories, but in longer time, and it meant risking not seeing every clue revealed. If you have already decided the $400 isn't worth your time initially, don't you just go instead to another $1600, since that offers you more money and the clock is running?

So, this is to say, I'm glad he lost. Sorry, but it was aggravating.

On FJ I remembering noting the obvious import of those first words shown on the screen during "The Artist" at the time I saw it, so this was a quick get, and a surprising single get if you ask me.
davey

Post by davey »

If you've heard of The Artist, and are aware that it won Best Picture, it's hard to escape knowing that it's a largely silent film about silent film. Thus the inside joke of the opening words might come to mind even if one hadn't seen it.... Not that I can be sure, since I did see it. I see fewer movies than I once did, but I make a point of seeing the Best Picture winner (actually I see all the BP nominees). Not only to prepare for likely Jeopardy! clues...
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I saw The Artist. My Mom saw The Artist. Neither of us had a clue on this one. I went right to horror movies (I though TGWTDT was a pretty inspired guess). Granted, I thought The Artist was an obscenely overrated film and kind of hate it for that (of the BP nominees I saw, which was everything but War Horse and ELAIC, I thought it was the worst), so that may be selective memory.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board.

I have never seen The Artist but I precalled it for FJ. When I saw the clue I actually didn't think that it was right, but since I had nothing else to guess I stuck with it. Lucky guess for me.

I have to say that I didn't really enjoy watching Mike, either. He had some good gets and I liked his aggressive style of play, but his mannerisms were just painful to watch. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he had no idea what how he looked while he was playing, and if he was on the show again he would try to change it.

EDIT: I want to add that I would say the $2000 clue in the "Mc-writers" category was some nasty neg bait for David McCullough, but the Colleen McCullough clue that came up right before should have ruled him out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yes, AP, it was Rue de Rivoli.

Watched The Artist last weekend. Instaget, although I probably would have gotten it even if I hadn't seen it.

That was quite the stunning turnaround at the end of the game. Reminded me of Tom Kavanaugh's third win (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=690). Personally, I wasn't too keen on Andy since he said he would vote into the Hall players who used steroids. I disagree on that one.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

If Andy posts at this board, I think an avatar of Matt LeBlanc would be appropriate. Don't you agree?
bgm
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by bgm »

I absolutely BOMBED in DJ today... yuck... McWriters was a painful category and I blurted out McCormack instead of Cormac McCarthy. :oops: The Street Smarts was a non-starter, and I didn't catch on to the Inside Shakespeare category until it was too late. British History was ok. The FJ clue was a complete blank for me, as I got myself hung up thinking about gangster films... duh. Makes me respect champs who go on multi-day runs even more, because sometimes you get a whole raft of clues that just don't click for you.

As for annoying habits, trust me when I say that before you go on, those are the things about which you worry, but once you are "in the zone" you just don't care about anything except ringing in and giving a coherent answer. The last thing I worried about while actually playing was how I looked or acted. Left all that regret for after the fact!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Recent Films
One of its first lines is "I won't talk! I won't say a word!!!"
Spoiler
What is The Artist? Lisa had no guess; Mike said The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Mike McStravick: $15,400-$1,000=14,400
Andy Baggarly: $7,800+$7,800=$15,600...now a 1-day champion with $15,600
Lisa Farricker: $7,400-$7,300=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I don't have any problems with the guy being expressive - in fact I have argued for a black hat, and I carry that argument forward. So, he should have done some fist pumps, perhaps that thing Kirk Gibson did when he hit that home run that one time.

It's the hopping around that drives me crazy!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Frank Hardy wrote:If Andy posts at this board, I think an avatar of Matt LeBlanc would be appropriate. Don't you agree?
Yeah but it has to be Red Shoe Diaries Matt LeBlanc.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

The King's Speech on FJ. Having not seen The Artist, I thought the intertitles were in French, and I figured they wouldn't quote a translation.
Last edited by fowlerism on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin Powers wrote:
Also on the other hand, this was obviously a good category for the champ (in his mind, didn't get Zeppelin), so don't you want to save it, in case the DD is there? Or do you want to get a lot of money first, THEN get the DD, assuming it is in another category?

. . .

I couldn't hear well, but I assume they wanted "Rivoli" for the Parisian Street. I thought that category was harder at the top than the bottom - Rivoli if that was it is more obscure that surmising what the German street was, and Coronation Street is probably tougher than the German Street, too. I can appreciate why the guy missed the DD there, I think of Spain as more "Falangist" than "fascist" myself, but I am like that. Still, not sure what world capital would seem like a better answer there, as it had to be a Spanish country and Buenos Aires would have been clearly Peron.

I'm glad the contestant at the end actually went for it on the last clue - he really should have been keeping track of Friends there, meaning there was only Perry and LeBlanc to pick from. Likewise, I am inclined to think that the champ should have just buzzed in, knowing that the lock was at stake and that the other guy needed to ring and say something. I suppose that assumes the other guys knows the cast of Friends, but it's Jeopardy and I think you kinda have to.

. . .

On FJ I remembering noting the obvious import of those first words shown on the screen during "The Artist" at the time I saw it, so this was a quick get, and a surprising single get if you ask me.
I found your comment on the streets category interesting, since I got Rue Rivoli and Coronation Street but clammed on Friedrichstrasse (regarding the former, it may have helped that I'm currently reading a book about Paris written by David McCullough, who was named in an incorrect guess in the McWriters category).

Regarding Andy's remarkable Lazarus-like turn of events at the end of the game: That's exactly what I was thinking on clue no. 60 -- that he's gotta guess there because he's got a 50% chance of being right (and that factor also made the Lisa Kudrow clue very easy for me even though I wouldn't have known it independently). I was rooting for Andy anyway, after his candid and sensible response to Alex's steroids question -- an issue about which too many sportswriters engage in sanctimonious bloviation.

I clammed on the zeppelin clue -- the reference to balloons threw me off. My knowledge of European balloonists (prior to today's episode) began and ended with the Montgolfier freres (who, of course, were not German).

I felt really stupid to have missed the TOM in the kiwi DD clue.

FJ was an instaget, even though I haven't gotten around to seeing "The Artist" yet. I had enough knowledge of it to connect the dots.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

StevenH wrote:
EDIT: I want to add that I would say the $2000 clue in the "Mc-writers" category was some nasty neg bait for David McCullough, but the Colleen McCullough clue that came up right before should have ruled him out.
Not too nasty, since David McCullough is not known for writing about contemporary subjects...