25 years ago today

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

25 years ago today

Post by Ivoryface86 »

There you have it, 25 years ago today marked the last appearance of the borderlight bulbs that surround the category headings, it was also the last episode where Alex was the producer of J!. I wonder if that game(Game #685) would be archived sometime soon MarkBarrett or animfan.
TenPoundHammer

Re: 25 years ago today

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yay, how trivial.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Yay, how trivial.
Hey, don't knock it! There's several people on this board to whom the exact shade of red from season to season, or the set layout, or the font on the clues (has that ever changed?) is muy importante, much more than the wagering strategy and even the clues that are our primary concern. I don't understand it myself, but to them, debating when they changed the technician that mans the buzzer is like us debating whether it's always wisest to bet for the tie.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Hey, don't knock it! There's several people on this board to whom the exact shade of red from season to season, or the set layout, or the font on the clues (has that ever changed?) is muy importante, much more than the wagering strategy and even the clues that are our primary concern.
Are you sure? Last I checked, Ivoryface was the only one who cared anything about this. (I do have to admire his ability to make every post exactly one sentence long, even if it's like eight lines of text.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote:There you have it, 25 years ago today marked the last appearance of the borderlight bulbs that surround the category headings, it was also the last episode where Alex was the producer of J!. I wonder if that game(Game #685) would be archived sometime soon MarkBarrett or animfan.
I would say it's unlikely I have the game, but #685 and 7/24/87 are not going to help me confirm it. Player names would give me a better chance of checking on the game.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Hey, don't knock it! There's several people on this board to whom the exact shade of red from season to season, or the set layout, or the font on the clues (has that ever changed?) is muy importante, much more than the wagering strategy and even the clues that are our primary concern.
Are you sure? Last I checked, Ivoryface was the only one who cared anything about this. (I do have to admire his ability to make every post exactly one sentence long, even if it's like eight lines of text.)
:roll:
How dare anyone else not emulate you, and discuss their ineptness at playing the game in minute detail.(btw, that's pronounced 'my newt'. It's one of those highfalutin' words people use.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Hey, you leave my newt out of this!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought he dropped out?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:. . . debating when they changed the technician that mans the buzzer is like us debating whether it's always wisest to bet for the tie.
Knowing when the technician changes is sometimes more helpful to winning the game than knowing whether to bet for the tie!

Rex
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Rex Kramer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:. . . debating when they changed the technician that mans the buzzer is like us debating whether it's always wisest to bet for the tie.
Knowing when the technician changes is sometimes more helpful to winning the game than knowing whether to bet for the tie!

Rex
+1
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Somewhere, you know there's a blog chronicling Alex's ties.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Fleeboy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
+1
To be fair, not being one of those who obsess over Jeopardy! minutiae, I couldn't think of an example of a (minor) show change that those people would get into a debate on when it started, just thought of that

And definitely agree with Rex's comment, this is why the pre show practice in Culver City is invaluable.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Hey, I know it's not an obsession with strip malls of the midwest, but let the man have his hobby.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

zakharov wrote:Somewhere, you know there's a blog chronicling Alex's ties.
I'm a little surprised that the J-Archive! doesn't keep statistics based on the "ME" and "PM" eras -- those being, of course, "Moustache Era" and "Post-Moustache".
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

zerobandwidth wrote:
zakharov wrote:Somewhere, you know there's a blog chronicling Alex's ties.
I'm a little surprised that the J-Archive! doesn't keep statistics based on the "ME" and "PM" eras -- those being, of course, "Moustache Era" and "Post-Moustache".
The correct terminology is "The Samson Era" and "The Delilah Era".

-M