Friday, September 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, September 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

billybeyer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:20 pm I recently started a free Substack where I recap ~10 of the clues on Friday episodes. I think it'd be a good resource for anyone trying to get better at Jeopardy or trivia in general.

Here's my latest recap:

https://jaqr.substack.com/p/jaqr-friday ... er-16-2022
Wow. Looks like you did a great job putting that together.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

danspartan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:50 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:20 pmThis game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
He did a good job of keeping third locked out.
That is precisely what it means (in the context of Shore's Conjecture) for the second-place player to bet "small." --Bob (inventor of Shore's Conjecture)
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:23 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:15 am
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm Luigi lost. F him.
Um, this seems a bit harsh? :shock:
Tit for tat: viewtopic.php?p=381597#p381597
Thank you, Mark for putting Bamaman's uncharacteristic post in context. I certainly read the whole daily game thread before posting but usually lose track of game day threads after a couple of days. (This discussion about Luigi's comment came around on Friday on a Tuesday game thread.)

I have no problem with Luigi's bet. I also had no problem with Nathaniel Hackett trying for a 64 yard Field Goal instead of letting Russell Wilson cook from 4th and 5 after a tepid performance all night. (In re: Denver/Seattle MNF this week).
It would have tied for the second-longest FG of all time, and he was 1-for-6 career from 60+ yards. They just spent multiple first-round picks to acquire this tepid quarterback, who probably has a 50/50 shot of converting. At which point your FG odds are much higher. I have a huge problem with that call, and not in hindsight. This is one first-year coach who is struggling with the speed of the game, as we saw again yesterday.

Luigi's bet? I guess because he got it right, he knows at least one Disney song and Emmett was strong competition, so probably not good. But maybe it's the one Disney song he knows? I looked at the category and thought, "a lot of people like Disney, or it wouldn't be such a big brand, but I haven't watched one of their movies since I was a little kid and song titles are weird little exact-word things anyway, so my chance of getting this right makes this the one category this side of Major Reggaeton Hits that I'd bet a 0 on."
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I said "derby" for "bowler" in the Help me move my stuff category. I'm counting it as correct unless someone can think of a reason it doesn't fit.

For the FJ I said "Hakuna Matata." That ruined my chance for a perfect week as far as DDs and FJs go. I got 15 of 15 DDs this week but only 4 of 5 FJs. Drat. I only managed it once in all of last season.
brick

Post by brick »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:42 am Five Disney animated movies in a row won Best Original Song Oscars. Here's how they were sung.

"Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid - solo in the movie (Sebastian the crab), no pop radio version
"Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast - solo in the movie (Mrs. Potts), duet in pop radio version (Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson)
"A Whole New World" from Aladdin - duet in both the movie (Aladdin and Jasmine) and pop radio version (Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle)
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight from The Lion King - five lead vocals in the movie (Timon at the beginning and end; Pumbaa doing small interjections after the first, second, and fourth lines, and joining Timon in the final line—and in sobbing afterward; a chorus with a non-character lead singer; and a verse each of internal monologue for Simba and Nala), solo (with a different lyric) in pop radio version (Elton John)
"Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas: solo in the movie (Pocahontas), solo in pop radio version (Vanessa Williams)
Wow. Thank you!
brick

Post by brick »

bibliophage wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:53 pm I said "derby" for "bowler" in the Help me move my stuff category. I'm counting it as correct unless someone can think of a reason it doesn't fit.

For the FJ I said "Hakuna Matata." That ruined my chance for a perfect week as far as DDs and FJs go. I got 15 of 15 DDs this week but only 4 of 5 FJs. Drat. I only managed it once in all of last season.
Interesting read, but the tldr version is, same hat, bowler in the UK and derby in the US. I also said Hakuna Matata in desperation.
https://fashionablehats.com/blogs/hat-a ... -derby-hat
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bibliophage wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:53 pm I said "derby" for "bowler" in the Help me move my stuff category. I'm counting it as correct unless someone can think of a reason it doesn't fit.
I made a mental note to post that "derby" was completely acceptable for that clue. Guess I forgot. They're the same thing and the category/clue didn't have any constraints like "starts with B" or "six-letter word".
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

For future reference, The Lion King was one of the five huge movies in theaters simultaneously in 1994. The others were Jurassic Park(which actually came out in 1993), The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, and Forrest Gump.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 pm For future reference, The Lion King was one of the five huge movies in theaters simultaneously in 1994. The others were Jurassic Park(which actually came out in 1993), The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, and Forrest Gump.
I'm gonna need some backstory on that statement; that is a very particular group....
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)