3 Reasons Why You Should Join School of Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Hi all,

Season 10 of my newsletter trivia league starts on Monday! With this board being full of Jeopardy! hopefuls and former contestants, you are the exact kind of people the league was designed for, so I feel like I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't give you my pitch.

1. The content
Compared to other trivia leagues, the questions are the most reminiscent of Jeopardy! as far as writing style and the material being asked. Having spent more hours than I care to admit preparing to be on this show, I have a pretty good feel for the Jeopardy! canon. Everything I ask about is something that's either been asked on the show before, or I think could be asked about in the future.

2. The consistency
Watching the show every night is a good way to learn new things and up your game, but because the questions go by so fast and the stakes are low as a viewer, sometimes those facts don't stick. Looking at lists and flash cards is great but it can be hard to find the motivation to study those on a consistent basis. If you join the league, you're getting your 5 questions every Monday through Friday no matter what. Also, I know from experience that the questions you miss while competing tend to stick in your mind better.

3. The challenge
Fun fact: there are representatives from 5 ToCs (the last four, plus the upcoming one) playing in the league, as well as loads of former contestants. Personally, there's nothing that motivates me like a scoreboard. But even if you're not as competitive, it's cool to be able to see some names you might recognize on the leaderboard and compare their scores to yours.

Sample quizzes and more info about the league can be found at www.schooloftrivia.com. Thanks for taking the time to read this, whether you join us or not. Hope to see some of you there!

Cheers
Alex