New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:35 pm Here's part of the December 21, 1993 (Jean Grewe game 2) episode on YouTube:
Thanks for bringing it up. I have a memory of Jean Grewe risking a lock-lead in FJ, but this game does not appear to be it.

(According to the FJ resource and my memory, it's the December 23 game. I hope that one shows up.)
Courtesy of a YT upload I added 12/21/93: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7450

Player pics of Kay Diehl, Tom Plotkin & Jean Grewe:
Spoiler
DD3 at DJ30 is where Jean could have cost herself a lot of money.

How strange to archive the game with such choppy editing, though thanks to the players for playing orderly to help sort it all out. I'd like to think I have a lot of the guessing right for what was missing. The numbers seemed to add up okay.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm How strange to archive the game with such choppy editing... The numbers seemed to add up okay.
Nice job with a difficult partial entry
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

According to the credits, in addition to the Broyhill furniture, the 2nd place finisher also got the Waverly Home Coverings and the 3rd place finisher got the Cuthbertson Imports Dinnerware.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That is certainly a bizarre recording.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:08 pm According to the credits, in addition to the Broyhill furniture, the 2nd place finisher also got the Waverly Home Coverings and the 3rd place finisher got the Cuthbertson Imports Dinnerware.
Done, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:00 pm That is certainly a bizarre recording.
It was almost like someone who did not like Jean wanted to minimize her strong effort.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Now we just need 4 more games to get Season 10 to the 100 mark.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7452

I'm taking my first crack at archiving from one of those TuneIn audio recordings. It's easy to tell already that I'll be guessing at where to place commas or not to place them, "first" vs. "1st" and whether to use "and" or "&".

No doubt I'll embarrass myself along the line for what I hear such as the Mohorovicic clue when I first heard "crushed metal", then "crust metal" and finally went with "crust-mantle".

For the players, Alex called Rick Zimmerman, Richard. If he's playing as Ric, so be it. Extra information for the detective game is Rick collects Batman memorabilia.

Sue's last name I entered as "Caroza" while it could be Carosa (or Corosa) and the Rs and Ss/Zs could, of course, be doubled. Extra info is she coached a high school academic team.

Between posts here and correction suggestions I will fix things as I can. Whatever gets in is better than nothing. I went for a S7 game as S1 ones (there are some to be input) can be more of a hassle, even with rounds ending early for fewer clues.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:44 pm Here is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7452

I'm taking my first crack at archiving from one of those TuneIn audio recordings. It's easy to tell already that I'll be guessing at where to place commas or not to place them, "first" vs. "1st" and whether to use "and" or "&".

No doubt I'll embarrass myself along the line for what I hear such as the Mohorovicic clue when I first heard "crushed metal", then "crust metal" and finally went with "crust-mantle".

For the players, Alex called Rick Zimmerman, Richard. If he's playing as Ric, so be it. Extra information for the detective game is Rick collects Batman memorabilia.

Sue's last name I entered as "Caroza" while it could be Carosa (or Corosa) and the Rs and Ss/Zs could, of course, be doubled. Extra info is she coached a high school academic team.

Between posts here and correction suggestions I will fix things as I can. Whatever gets in is better than nothing. I went for a S7 game as S1 ones (there are some to be input) can be more of a hassle, even with rounds ending early for fewer clues.
DJ8 response has some extraneous marks. DJ10 response has an open parentheses.

Thanks for getting it in. Doing it without video can't be easy. At least you didn't have a clue where Alex said "The thing seen here".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 pm DJ8 response has some extraneous marks. DJ10 response has an open parentheses.

Thanks for getting it in. Doing it without video can't be easy. At least you didn't have a clue where Alex said "The thing seen here".
Fixed, thanks.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Just found out that Don Lessem from the January 24, 2000 game was a reject on America's Got Talent this year. https://agt.fandom.com/wiki/Dino_Don

A first? Don't recall any other civilian J! contestants also being on AGT.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:12 am Just found out that Don Lessem from the January 24, 2000 game was a reject on America's Got Talent this year. https://agt.fandom.com/wiki/Dino_Don

A first? Don't recall any other civilian J! contestants also being on AGT.
When I saw him on AGT I recognized Don from here: https://sharktankrecap.com/shark-tank-d ... season-12/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is 9/7/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7455

I went with Marks for Ken's surname and Schwartz for Roberta's surname.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a shared link I added 6/9/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7460

Player pics of Alan Levin, Diana Blaney and Jonathan Fellows:
Spoiler
Some tough clues in the mix and no way LSV could sniff a 60 in it.

Sorry, credits brigade, credits were not included on the recording.

I bet Alan wishes times had run out after DJ29.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

What is the shared link that you found Mark for Show #652?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:24 pm Courtesy of a shared link I added 6/9/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7460
That Final didn't include '31 for some reason. I just entered a clue about '31 for show #6.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:07 pm What is the shared link that you found Mark for Show #652?
It was from someone’s private collection.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When cleaning up my in box I realized I forgot to share this from a few day's ago when an email came my way:

Bill Clippel sp? run was after Liz Cacesse run. This is based on after listening to Jeopardy radio on 9/27. Ric Moser 12/7-12/13. Chris Hamilton 12/14. Larry Floyd 12/17-12/21. Jerry Frankel 12/24-12/28. Phil Wilson 12/31. Liz Cacesse 1/1-1/7. Bill Clippel 1/8-1/10?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another email about S1 dates:

S1 5xer Paul Croshier (Jan 1985) his first appearance was on the 10/12/84 episode, due to a ruling which the times up signal sounded before Paul could make a wager on a daily double in the DJ! round.

Paul called for a clue/amount at the end of the DJ! round in the Oct. 12 game and time ran out before it was revealed. It was a DD. Paul was brought back in 1985 and that is when he won five games. Paul was in QF3 the following season, so we know 6, 7, or 8 champs qualified before he did.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:55 pm Another email about S1 dates:

S1 5xer Paul Croshier (Jan 1985) his first appearance was on the 10/12/84 episode, due to a ruling which the times up signal sounded before Paul could make a wager on a daily double in the DJ! round.

Paul called for a clue/amount at the end of the DJ! round in the Oct. 12 game and time ran out before it was revealed. It was a DD. Paul was brought back in 1985 and that is when he won five games. Paul was in QF3 the following season, so we know 6, 7, or 8 champs qualified before he did.
What's weird is that the edit of 10/12/84, at least the one that played on TuneIn today, makes no reference to any Daily Double being there at all. Paul called clue & amount and was interrupted by the round-end signal—something which I would see to be a normal occurrence. There was no Daily Double sound effect at all.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan