FJs for the 9/26/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/26/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:50 pm

A now-annual issue of this magazine was inspired by the high society parties of Caroline Astor, whose ballroom fit about 400 people
31%
Africa's 2 busiest passenger airports are in these 2 countries; it's an 8-hour flight between them
89%
These 2 rivers share the names of countries, end with the same 4 letters & both join up with the Paraná River
67%
Seen by a worldwide audience in 1970, black pentagons were added to these to help viewers follow them better on TV
47%
While working for British naval intelligence during World War II, he was code-named 17F
72%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
ROMANS $1000: With seating for 250,000 to watch the chariot races, this "biggest ring" was the largest Roman arena
63%
HOBBIES & PASTIMES $800: The name of this method of fabric dying is Javanese for "painted"
40%
READING RAINBOW $1600: Shirley is the last name of the orphan sent to live with Matthew & Marilla Cuthbert in this 1908 novel
40%
Fortune was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
5%
I had Egypt but not South Africa for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
I had South Africa but not Egypt for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
5%
I have set foot in CAI in Cairo, Egypt.
3%
I have set foot in JNB in Johannesburg, South Africa.
3%
Kenya was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
Nigeria was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
I correctly solved the Wednesday FJ! clue even though I did not know there were Paraguay & Uruguay Rivers.
48%
Hockey pucks was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
4%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue in looking for a hi-tech innovation instead of a low-tech one.
45%
John le Carré was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
12%
COUNTRY MEN & WOMEN $600: Shawn Mendes & Alice Munro - I knew where Alice Munro was from, more than Shawn Mendes.
33%
COUNTRY MEN & WOMEN $600: Shawn Mendes & Alice Munro - I knew where Shawn Mendes was from, more than Alice Munro.
13%

Total votes: 75

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/26/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MAGAZINES

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A now-annual issue of this magazine was inspired by the high society parties of Caroline Astor, whose ballroom fit about 400 people

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD AIRPORTS

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Africa's 2 busiest passenger airports are in these 2 countries; it's an 8-hour flight between them

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD RIVERS

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 rivers share the names of countries, end with the same 4 letters & both join up with the Paraná River

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INNOVATIONS

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen by a worldwide audience in 1970, black pentagons were added to these to help viewers follow them better on TV

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEFORE THEY WERE AUTHORS

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While working for British naval intelligence during World War II, he was code-named 17F

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Forbes
Egypt & South Africa
Paraguay & Uruguay
soccer balls
Ian Fleming
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 0-2-0-0-2 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

ROMANS $1000: With seating for 250,000 to watch the chariot races, this "biggest ring" was the largest Roman arena

HOBBIES & PASTIMES $800: The name of this method of fabric dying is Javanese for "painted"

READING RAINBOW $1600: Shirley is the last name of the orphan sent to live with Matthew & Marilla Cuthbert in this 1908 novel

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Circus Maximus
batik
Anne of Green Gables
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/26/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Egypt Kenya & South Africa
Did not solve Wed.’s FJ! clue and did not know those country names were also rivers.
Hi-tech miss for Thursday’s FJ! clue.
Shawn Mendes more helpful than Alice Munro
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew Canada both ways.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Mon - Modern Bride
Thu - Tried coming up with a TV/high tech solution over a low tech one

I'm keeping the river box unchecked, I'd say I was 95% certain a Uruguay River existed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :mrgreen: :( (shoulda got this) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Closed captions was the best I could come up with Thursday.
Never been to Africa.
Didn't know about the rivers, but the countries fit.
Neither Mendes nor Munro was getting me anywhere.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Was thinking of something like Vogue Monday
Thought the pentagons had something to do with identifying spacecraft. Never thought of sports.

Never heard of the rivers, but got it anyway.

Never been to Africa
Munro more helpful than Mendes
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Made up Dancing Magazine or some such on Monday. Couldn't run through countries quickly enough on Wed to come up with anything. Hockey pucks on Thurs.

Been to Cairo, but didn't get there by air.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

2 for 5. Ooof.

Mon - Sadly, I thought of Forbes on Monday but didn't know of the Forbes 400. So I assumed I was really thinking of the Fortune 500, which didn't seem close enough to 400 to make Fortune a good guess. Went with Vanity Fair.

Tu - I knew 8 hours was a longer flight than across the US. The top of Africa to the bottom seemed reasonable.

Wed - Paraná seemed like a South American river, probably Brazilian because it looks more Portuguese than Spanish. Thinking of rivers like Rio de la Plata and Orinoco and Amazon didn't get me any traction so I switched to country names and picked the two with the same 4 last letters. Don't recall ever hearing of those rivers but it seemed like a solid guess anyway.

Th - Went high tech. Assumed it was something in sports but couldn't guess what so I went with astronauts.

Fr - Joined the le Carré club. My emergency backup guess of Graham Greene would also have misfired but at least he was the right age. If Fleming had occurred to me, I'd have been all over that. The F in 17F wasn't enough to get me there.

Big Circle = Circus Maximus. No trouble there. Didn't know the Javanese fabric dying method and still don't. Had to unspoiler the correct responses to refresh my memory. I'll likely forget again by tomorrow. I knew her name wasn't Anna Green-Gables but Anne Shirley (Anne with an "e"). I could check the box that I've read the original book or one that says I've read more than one book in the series.

I didn't pull the trigger on the Alice Munro and Shawn Mendes clue. If I had, I would have made the correct guess and it would have been entirely because of Alice Munro.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not a great week!
Went with LeCarre (like Opus I also thought of Graham Greene, Ian Fleming never even occurred to me)
Alice Munro definitely more helpful than Shawn Mendes
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-)
:( :( :(

A rare Box of Glory with relative ease once the countries were sussed out of the geography clues.

The airports were a guess that Egypt would get more tourist traffic and South Africa just seems more industrialized. I didn't even use the distance element which was the best TOM in the clue. The rivers were tricky, but easy once the false leads were dropped.

I knew the Forbes 400 from the little nugget that allows about 30% of the members of the Forbes 400 were born in a lucky womb. I wondered why the list was 400, and thanks to the writers, now I have an idea. About 175 of them need to be booted out with $1500 and a token of their choice and start the Monopoly game all over imho...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday’s clue was one of the worst FJ clues in quite a while. Linking Astor’s 400 - which I was familiar with - to the Fortune 400 provided no TOM besides the number.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Equal Mendes and Munro
I would prefer not to.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Thank goodness for the (very hazy) outline of Africa in my head... :roll: Unfortunately there were no ...guays floating in there but there was a looming LeCarre...
I probably should have gotten a couple of those extras too...
For much of this season, the writers and I aren't getting each other... :oops:
I've read more Alice Munro stories than listened to Shawn Mendes songs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

With the relevant (requested) poll option at 42% after 48 votes, I don't feel bad at all not knowing South American river geography (while still managing to suss out the correct response). It looks like only 1/3 of those who got that Final right had heard of the rivers before.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cosmopolitan Monday just to have something.
For Friday's (which I watched today), I immediately came up with Fleming, then I thought of Le Carré, then F17 made me think of Stalag 17 so I thought of Leon Uris (who, first, was American, and second, wrote Mila 18, not Stalag 17), but the F portion gave me the confidence to stick with my first thought.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

With 51 responses in, I'm the only one who has been to Cairo. I was there around 1986 or so. While there are some wonderful sights (the Pyramids and the Egyptian Museum), I found the city to be dusty, crowded, noisy, and the only people who were friendly were the ones who wanted you to invite them to the U.S. so they could get a visa. I left there with a headache. It was such a bygone era that I got there by taking the bus from Tel Aviv. I don't think they dare do that nowadays. Along the route, the number of homes and buildings scarred by bullet holes was staggering (this was only 13 years after the Yom Kippur War).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:45 pm With 51 responses in, I'm the only one who has been to Cairo.
As I said above, I've been to Cairo, but I've never been to CAI, which was what Mark was asking about (and it seems from your story neither have you). I was there in '88. Your description of the city is spot-on, though.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: