Thursday, September 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Thursday, September 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in Characters In the TV Show and a couple clues in Beatles' Non-Beatles Song.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 pm Many NYPD officers died on 9/11.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/about/me ... ibute.page
I meant to say female NYPD officer.
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 pm Until reading this thread I had totally interpreted the wording of the clue wrong. I thought the implication was that a black pentagon was electronically superimposed for the telecast to help follow the ball, similar to what's been tried in hockey.
They didn't have that kind of technology in 1970. (They barely had it when the glowing hockey puck was introduced in 1996 -- it required using special pucks with an infrared transmitter inside.)
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

My wife got FJ immediately, and I wasn't even in the right time zone. I wasn't thinking sports at all.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:12 pm I thought this FJ would be a triple get and a unanimous board get. It just depends on accidental synapses that take you in the right or wrong direction. I may be more woke on the subject of optical balls because Callaway has been making a much hyped geometric pattern on golf balls (maybe not exactly a soccer pattern, but similar) for a few years. It supposedly registers as 14% larger to the brain. It also is 50% harder to find in the rough, lol..
The judges should have accepted denim immediately. The player might have adjusted her game technique on account of this ruling and drain on the finances. TIL that duffel is a fabric type.
Huh, I've found a few of those Callaways over the years but never knew there was a supposed scientific reason for the design, just thought it was a misguided effort to be differently appealing. But I'll try anything.
As a quasi-PSA :
Colored Tennis balls were introduced in 1972, of course Wimbledon didn't adopt them until 1986 because they were, well, British.
I just recently was awoke to the difference in NFL and NCAA footballs. NFL has no stripe on the ends. NCAA footballs have white stripes that go half way around on the laces side.
Here's the only blurb I can find on the golf balls, the last two paragraphs are BS. The balls are harder to see in flight and harder to find. They do look bigger side by side but that seems like a solution in search of a problem. FWIW, I like shiny objects and will play anything but a white ball :lol:.
Spoiler
The way the Truvis pattern helps golfers is simple. The human optical system contains over 30 distinct visual areas. A golf ball featuring this pattern stimulates more of these areas than the plain white variety. The symmetrical and repeating design helps the eye construct the ‘missing’ parts of the ball by joining the straight lines creating a more 3D image in your brain. In layman's terms, the Truvis pattern provides a golfer a more developed and detailed view of the ball, helping them make cleaner and fuller contact.

Patterned golf balls also have the added benefit of helping to illustrate the speed and direction of the ball’s spin. This makes balls featuring the Truvis pattern the perfect practice tool, helping golfers better grasp the amount of spin they may be generating on certain wedge shots as well as seeing the precise roll and movement of putts.

In addition to helping your game, the pentagonal markings make the ball easier to follow in flight. This is helpful if your game is similar to that of a certain blog writer and you spend a lot of your time on the golf course walking up and down the tree line in a futile search for your errant tee-shot.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:53 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 pm Until reading this thread I had totally interpreted the wording of the clue wrong. I thought the implication was that a black pentagon was electronically superimposed for the telecast to help follow the ball, similar to what's been tried in hockey.
They didn't have that kind of technology in 1970. (They barely had it when the glowing hockey puck was introduced in 1996 -- it required using special pucks with an infrared transmitter inside.)
I did consider that, but OTOH a soccer ball is much bigger than a hockey puck and typically is traveling significantly slower.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Can we talk about the increase of table tennis balls from 38 mm to 40 mm in 2000 and the change of material from celluloid to plastic in 2014? You can't even buy the (obviously superior) 38 mm celluloid balls any more. (There are a few websites which purport to sell them but if you look closer you will see that they are all either out of stock or the reviews indicate that what is received is not what is described.)
ACW

Post by ACW »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 pmMy wife said football for FJ. Do you think that would have been correct?
Personally, I'd allow it, but I don't know if the judges would.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:03 am Here's the only blurb I can find on the golf balls, the last two paragraphs are BS. The balls are harder to see in flight and harder to find. They do look bigger side by side but that seems like a solution in search of a problem. FWIW, I like shiny objects and will play anything but a white ball :lol:.

The way the Truvis pattern helps golfers is simple. The human optical system contains over 30 distinct visual areas. A golf ball featuring this pattern stimulates more of these areas than the plain white variety. The symmetrical and repeating design helps the eye construct the ‘missing’ parts of the ball by joining the straight lines creating a more 3D image in your brain. In layman's terms, the Truvis pattern provides a golfer a more developed and detailed view of the ball, helping them make cleaner and fuller contact.

Patterned golf balls also have the added benefit of helping to illustrate the speed and direction of the ball’s spin. This makes balls featuring the Truvis pattern the perfect practice tool, helping golfers better grasp the amount of spin they may be generating on certain wedge shots as well as seeing the precise roll and movement of putts.

In addition to helping your game, the pentagonal markings make the ball easier to follow in flight. This is helpful if your game is similar to that of a certain blog writer and you spend a lot of your time on the golf course walking up and down the tree line in a futile search for your errant tee-shot.
The Truvis concept is mostly nothing more than a marketing gimmick to the average golfer looking for something different. If the pattern truly did create a better image in your brain and make things easier then you would see tour players using it. They don't.

However, the markings do have some usefulness as a practice tool. Some tour players draw a line on their ball and then align it along their line on putts. If the line rotates end over end consistently then they have made a good, clean stroke. Same can be said for the markings on a Truvis, they can be used to determine a quality stroke that produces an end over end roll.

They can also be used with high speed cameras used in simulators or launch monitors to measure spin and launch data. Lower cost devices have to have markings on the balls so the high speed cameras can correctly interpret what the ball is doing. The markings on the Truvis can serve as those where the data is accurate. Some devices aren't good enough to pick up proper rotation on a plain white ball. The ones that do can cost $25k apiece.

Can they be used by the average golfer to judge spin rate with the naked eye? Hell no.

Personally, I think they are a bit more difficult to see in flight. I don't really think it would matter on looking for one off the fairway.

There's a reason why you don't see other manufacturers producing a similar product, the demand just isn't there.

This hopefully concludes the series on way more information about golf balls than the average Jeopardy fan ever wanted to know.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

ACW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:44 pmMy wife said football for FJ. Do you think that would have been correct?
Footballs would be incorrect since it's a totally different ball. Futbols would be correct.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:52 am
Footballs would be incorrect since it's a totally different ball. Futbols would be correct.
But Jeopardy! doesn't penalize for misspelling. So if you misspell futbol as football, it still counts. 8-)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 pm
But Jeopardy! doesn't penalize for misspelling. So if you misspell futbol as football, it still counts. 8-)
Should we submit Berry Gordy to arbitrate? :shock:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 pm
That's a heck of a misspelling: football \ ˈsä-kər \
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"these" and not sport for the FJ! clue, so perhaps "footballs" okay while "football" would be neg?

It would suck for anyone to try to show off or be funny with their FJ! clue response and cost themselves.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm "these" and not sport for the FJ! clue, so perhaps "footballs" okay while "football" would be neg?

It would suck for anyone to try to show off or be funny with their FJ! clue response and cost themselves.
Responses in the singular to clues asking for "these" and in the plural to clues asking for "this" are accepted every week, aren't they? Unless there's some other specification requiring singular or plural, I don't think the pronoun itself matters.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I am astonished that this FJ! is polling <50%. I thought it was the easiest of the week.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:17 pm I am astonished that this FJ! is polling <50%. I thought it was the easiest of the week.
This is a rare case where you not only have the stat, you have the explanation. 49% of us have checked the box indicating we went down the wrong path and were looking for a hi-tech innovation. If I'd thought of a soccer ball I would've been all over it. I'm betting that's true of a large number in that 49%. I can see how, if you thought of the right solution without a hi-tech detour, this FJ would seem quite easy. In retrospect, I should have asked "Why pentagons?"
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I got to the right answer in time to blurt it out before the music stopped, but I probably would not have had time to write it down. Do I get to call this a get?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:42 pm I got to the right answer in time to blurt it out before the music stopped, but I probably would not have had time to write it down. Do I get to call this a get?
Scored as an R in your heart, a W on the weekly poll.