Friday, September 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

I know five wins secures the TOC but they kinda went out of their way to make sure all of the 4-day winners made the field for 2022. I think David should feel at least somewhat secure in his position.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

yclept wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:52 pm I know five wins secures the TOC but they kinda went out of their way to make sure all of the 4-day winners made the field for 2022. I think David should feel at least somewhat secure in his position.
I'm sure I've said this before recently but for some time now the official website has strongly implied, if not explicitly stated, that the cutoff is now 4 wins.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

The IMDb category struck me as unusually obscure trivia by Jeopardy standards. I went 0 for 5, and don't recall ever even hearing of three of the correct responses (Isaac, Thompson, and Stan).

For FJ I had Ian Fleming but foolishly crossed it out and replaced it with John Le Carré. I knew Fleming was some kind of intelligence officer, but recalled reading that he was stuck in a desk job during the war. I figured he wouldn't need a code name in a job like that.
davey

Post by davey »

bibliophage wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:00 pm The IMDb category struck me as unusually obscure trivia by Jeopardy standards. I went 0 for 5, and don't recall ever even hearing of three of the correct responses (Isaac, Thompson, and Stan).
Each of those clues (except for JLo's, it's well known that she was a Fly Girl) had an obscure role paired with a famous one. At least that was how it was supposed to work. I didn't get any either, but I don't follow the Star Wars or Marvel Universes... :roll:
Oscar Isaac has definitely become a star in recent years. The others are getting there: Tessa Thompson is also on the Westworld series. I had just read a review of Pam & Tommy and should have remembered Sebastian Stan's name. He's also in Marvel movies.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bibliophage wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:00 pm The IMDb category struck me as unusually obscure trivia by Jeopardy standards. I went 0 for 5, and don't recall ever even hearing of three of the correct responses (Isaac, Thompson, and Stan).
They've all starred in some pretty huge movies but have just become stars in the last decade or so. Oscar Isaac has roles in critically acclaimed films like Inside LLewyn Davis and Ex Machina but is likely more known for being one of the 3 main younger stars of the Star Wars sequel trilogy (Episode VII-IX from 2015-2019).

Sebastian Stan similarly has starred in two of the top-grossing films of all time, Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War, albeit as part of a very large ensemble. He had a more featured role in Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier as Bucky Barnes. They did make this one tough in the bottom row by leaving off that role in the clue, instead giving Tommy Lee. He did just win an Emmy for that role in "Pam & Tommy"

Tessa Thompson is another Marvel star, playing Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok which was in the J! clue, later playing the same role in Endgame and Thor: Love and Thunder, as well as starring with Chris Hemsworth in Men in Black: International.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:54 pm
They've all starred in some pretty huge movies but have just become stars in the last decade or so. Oscar Isaac has roles in critically acclaimed films like Inside LLewyn Davis and Ex Machina but is likely more known for being one of the 3 main younger stars of the Star Wars sequel trilogy (Episode VII-IX from 2015-2019).

Sebastian Stan similarly has starred in two of the top-grossing films of all time, Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War, albeit as part of a very large ensemble. He had a more featured role in Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier as Bucky Barnes. They did make this one tough in the bottom row by leaving off that role in the clue, instead giving Tommy Lee. He did just win an Emmy for that role in "Pam & Tommy"

Tessa Thompson is another Marvel star, playing Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok which was in the J! clue, later playing the same role in Endgame and Thor: Love and Thunder, as well as starring with Chris Hemsworth in Men in Black: International.
2 for 5 myself, but I disavow all knowledge of Star Wars post RotJ so...yeah, that's bad luck. (I was trying to recall John Boyega, who is apparently "Finn". Amusingly, I just started Operation Finale which stars Oscar Issac. X-Men Apocalypse I could've gotten him with too) Stan was also a good one given the bottom row nature; main awards are fair game. I knew I was going to kick myself missing that one.

The only IMDb one I had an actual issue with was Brad Pitt's. Generic name from an ensemble cast 15 years old and an uncredited bit part? Come on...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Article in the Washington Posts' Religion page (link avoids their paywall):

Rev. David Sibley becomes four-time ‘Jeopardy!’ champion
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just stumbled upon this article about the real James Bond.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... A9_EqlU0ZQ