J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: J! in the Media

Post by alietr »

Ken interview in Vulture: https://www.vulture.com/2022/10/intervi ... hards.html

From the interview: "It was all about Alex and the tiny mechanics you don’t realize he’s doing. I started jotting down the 20 different ways he used to say that a contestant was correct. You don’t want to keep repeating the same “yes, yes, yes” or “right, right, right.” He had a way of mixing it up and honing it over the years. I would jot down every time he had a great turn of phrase. "

Has anybody put together all of the ways Alex used to say an answer was correct?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:54 am Ken interview in Vulture: https://www.vulture.com/2022/10/intervi ... hards.html

From the interview: "It was all about Alex and the tiny mechanics you don’t realize he’s doing. I started jotting down the 20 different ways he used to say that a contestant was correct. You don’t want to keep repeating the same “yes, yes, yes” or “right, right, right.” He had a way of mixing it up and honing it over the years. I would jot down every time he had a great turn of phrase. "

Has anybody put together all of the ways Alex used to say an answer was correct?
I don't have the info on Alex, but there's always this route. . .
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:54 am Ken interview in Vulture: https://www.vulture.com/2022/10/intervi ... hards.html

That was one thing that stood out about Bill Whitaker as a host. He used the same two or three stock responses.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Steve Moulds on the aftermaths of his appearances
https://www.salon.com/2022/10/15/i-won- ... -haunt-me/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 pm Steve Moulds on the aftermaths of his appearances
https://www.salon.com/2022/10/15/i-won- ... -haunt-me/
How can I capture the deep strangeness of appearing on "Jeopardy!"? You step into an actual, physical environment you've visited hundreds of times, but never in person. The space feels more intimate than it looks on TV. The big board remains formidable.

If ever I get The Call, it's gotta help that I've been in the studio audience for multiple tapings ;)

Good read. You only get one shot so don't f*** it up – unless you get selected for Second Chance :shock: :o :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:04 am If ever I get The Call, it's gotta help that I've been in the studio audience for multiple tapings ;)
You already got the call, but you haven’t made it to the show yet. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:44 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:04 am If ever I get The Call, it's gotta help that I've been in the studio audience for multiple tapings ;)
You already got the call, but you haven’t made it to the show yet. ;)
Touché
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I’ve seen numerous articles about Cris’s run that mention him being “visibly upset” or frustrated or arguing with the host and it’s pretty cringey. The AI they’ve got writing those clickbait headlines ought to be ashamed of itself.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:09 pm The AI they’ve got writing those clickbait headlines ought to be ashamed of itself.
I hope it sees this!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Quote from today's Parade Magazine (their last print edition ever):

You know you're famous when ... You're not part of the pop culture lexicon until someone makes fun of you or you're a Jeopardy! answer.

And Jeopardy! featured a magazine category called "Parade of Dictators" on the show, based on the magazine's then-annual feature "The World's 10 Worst Dictators."

Special bonus: the issue has a feature on Sam Buttrey, er, I mean Steve Martin.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cel ... 44225.html
the show has also made waves this week for another reason: a clue in Sunday's celebrity edition of the show.

Host Mayim Bialik read the clue: "In 2021 fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla.'s Myakkahatchee Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters." The answer was alligators.

Laundrie fatally shot himself in October 2021, after having written in a notebook that he had killed his fiancée, Gabby Petito. She was 23.

After Laundrie was mentioned in the episode, an attorney for the Laundrie family, Steven Bertolino, said his clients were upset and noted the online backlash.

"The entire Laundrie family is appalled and concurs with all of the comments on social media on how distasteful this was," he told CBS News on Wednesday. "I believe an apology is due.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Copied from this week's New Yorker magazine:
NYJ!.jpg-2.jpg
NYJ!.jpg-2.jpg (148.73 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Talking heads chagrined at a triple stumper
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jeopardy- ... wn-jackson
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

brick wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm .

After Laundrie was mentioned in the episode, an attorney for the Laundrie family, Steven Bertolino, said his clients were upset and noted the online backlash.
Own it, losers. You raised your boy to be a murderer. You aided and abetted him after he came back without Gabby. You ought to be ashamed to show your faces in public.
brick

Post by brick »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:09 pm
brick wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm .

Own it, losers. You raised your boy to be a murderer. You aided and abetted him after he came back without Gabby. You ought to be ashamed to show your faces in public.
I don't disagree. But it was a wildly inappropriate clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... ears-later

Ken's rake/hoe answer has gone viral for a new generation. Jeopardy veterans know the answer was wrong because a long-handled garden tool is spelled hoe, whereas an immoral pleasure seeker is spelled ho. Rake is spelled the same either way.