Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm Shocked they not get John Hancock.

Apparently i dont pay attention to Brazils Flag Enough
when I played it off the Archives earlier, they didn't have the large font that would've been the giveaway. Wondering if the contestants just couldn't see it. :?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:56 pm

when I played it off the Archives earlier, they didn't have the large font that would've been the giveaway. Wondering if the contestants just couldn't see it. :?
Not knowing how to code the <big> I sent out an email to Robert & Andy once the game was archived, had my lunch, and fixed it afterwards when they responded. By noon PT (and hours earlier) there are always multiple YT versions to watch for another option besides Archive reading.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was confident they meant the Western hemi, in part because there's a more manageable number of countries, and for historical reasons (e.g., we never announced a doctrine warning the Southern hemisphere not to encroach up here). But I agree that "of the Americas" was obviously much better (for one thing, the players wouldn't have to consider places like Iceland and Ireland [edit-- .. as dbear said. I don't like to sound as if I haven't read the thread]) and also, the North/South division has actual planetary justification whereas East vs. West is completely arbitrary.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

I wonder that a lot.
I was also convinced near the start that Cris wouldn't have a hard time of it when nobody was able to pick up behaviorism from his whiff of behavioralism...

I note that Mexico hasn't had a Federal District since 2016...I don't know the Brazil flag either, but I figured a 20th C.-created capital might very well be given its own district...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:00 pm

Not knowing how to code the <big> I sent out an email to Robert & Andy once the game was archived, had my lunch, and fixed it afterwards when they responded. By noon PT (and hours earlier) there are always multiple YT versions to watch for another option besides Archive reading.
I just think it's ironic that there was a whole GIANT category in that round but the big text was in a clue in a different category.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:59 pm OUR hemisphere? That only eliminates what, 20 countries? Oceania and a handful of African nations completely south of the equator?

Am I missing something here?
I was completely fooled. I was thinking Northern Hemisphere. I mean, a small part of Brazil is in the Northern Hemisphere but most of it is in the Southern Hemisphere.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 pm Fun fact...Button Gwinnett is buried just a couple hundred feet from his dueling opponent, Lachlan McIntosh, in Savannah.
At least it's outside of dueling pistol range.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

For FJ, I just assumed they meant Western Hemisphere, and didn’t even consider the north/south scenario. I did come up with Brazil

I was very surprised that John Hancock was a triple stumper
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I took it to mean the Western Hemisphere.

Also Brussels sprouts are delicious. That is all.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 pm Does this version air anywhere outside of the US and Canada?
It airs on the American Forces Network, and may also be viewable in Mexico and via satellite and cable providers in the Caribbean and Central America that carry U.S. broadcast network affiliates, but it's not officially broadcast in other countries.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:59 pm OUR hemisphere? That only eliminates what, 20 countries? Oceania and a handful of African nations completely south of the equator?

You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
I took it to be deliberately ambiguous, and that Ken was carefully coached *not* to clarify which way to interpret it when the category was revealed.

That said, I made the same incorrect guess as Randall, despite thinking "I know it's got stars, but are there really 27 of them?"
TimMierz
Contributor

Post by TimMierz »

With the final category, I was thinking that it would be something in both the Western and Northern Hemispheres, so that no matter how you interpret the category it's right. When I saw "Federal District" I was even more confident in my wrong answer of Mexico (I imagined there were some small stars somewhere below the eagle).
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 am Brussels sprouts are delicious. That is all.
Did the J! clue actually say (correctly, I would argue :D ) that Brussels sprouts are "disliked by man"? Or did the archivist omit a final "y" from the clue?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:39 am
Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm

You're taking it to mean "northern hemisphere", whereas I took it to mean--as I think most would--the "western hemisphere". Basically, we're narrowing things down to the New World.
I took it to be deliberately ambiguous, and that Ken was carefully coached *not* to clarify which way to interpret it when the category was revealed.

I find this extremely unlikely. What would be the point? To restrict the possibles to 3/4 of the globe, but be tricky about it, because 200 countries and their flags is still too easy to process in 30 seconds?
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Is it easier to get Marfa, Texas from knowing where Giant was filmed or knowing that it is a center for minimalist art?

Prada Marfa seems interesting. It was a bottom row clue and the contestant from Texas got it. I'm not sure if I'm missing something.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm Is it easier to get Marfa, Texas from knowing where Giant was filmed or knowing that it is a center for minimalist art?
I'd say more people know it as the latter. It was made so by the artist Donald Judd. It's written about a lot in the arts sections of newspapers.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:50 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm Is it easier to get Marfa, Texas from knowing where Giant was filmed or knowing that it is a center for minimalist art?
I'd say more people know it as the latter. It was made so by the artist Donald Judd. It's written about a lot in the arts sections of newspapers.
Also there was a great TV series set in Marfa with Kathryn Hahn and Griffin Dunne, I Love Dick.