Monday, January 23 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue-Eyed Lady
Contributor

Re: Monday, January 23 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Blue-Eyed Lady »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm What is the feature? The sun goat?
Tropic of Capricorn ... Capricorn, the constellation. Due to precession of the equinoxes, the points of the solstices will migrate westward in the heavens over the centuries. The entire cycle is about 25,700 years.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 pm When I check on the correction suggestions I never know if it will the game I just completed, some random old one or something out of left field.

This one I can't resist sharing:

I’m so mad about Johnny Gilbert today. Johnny said introducing today’s contestants on Monday. He did not say here are today’s contestants. I’m so mad at him. He made a mistake.
Does this user not know that Johnny switches up his introductions?

The guy who does the Reddit recap noticed this years ago and matches his introduction every day to Johnny.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Blue-Eyed Lady wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:52 pm The entire cycle is about 25,700 years.
So I'm guessing the "Age of Aquarius" has something to do with this precession.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Negged with 30(Not that bad of a neg, since 30 St. Mary Axe a.k.a. The Gherkin.) and Papa Van Winkle.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm What is the feature? The sun goat?
Tropics, which is what made it a coin flip in my case.

This clue is basically: narrow it from 12 to 2, then narrow it from 2 to 1. I'm sure with the right knowledge I could have done the last step, but I don't know what that knowledge is. Something about winter and the hemispheres? But winter in the northern hemisphere is summer in the southern hemisphere and [error error does not compute]
Or pull it out of thin air, which is what I somehow did tonight. I don't know why but somehow I immediately went to the tropics...and thought something about Tropic of Capricorn just sounded right. If I'd been on the show and won by virtue of this Final I'd have almost felt guilty accepting the money since it was the result of a completely wild guess.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:01 pm
Blue-Eyed Lady wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:52 pm The entire cycle is about 25,700 years.
So I'm guessing the "Age of Aquarius" has something to do with this precession.
By coincidence I just looked this up on Saturday the 21st so I could make some witty comment about my little sister's birthday happening at the dawning of the age of Aquarius (started on the 20th). Diving into the age of Aquarius, it is indeed based on the precessional cycle. It is supposed to coordinate with the vernal (Spring) Equinox. I had to settle for wishing happy dawning of the month of Aquarius.

If I have fleshed it out right, it seems that astronomers declare that the Constellation must be directly overhead (at least the leading edge), which will happen in about another 350 years. Astrologers seem to want to use the midpoint between constellations (they are far smaller than the 30 degree gap of sky) as the break point and are crediting as far back as the 20th century.

For more useless information, there are 12 "houses", and the moon is in each of them for two hours each day. I did not dive any deeper to know if that means a full moon only or what. I was getting dumber as I read about it so I quit. Also Jupiter aligns with Mars every 12 years.

I detoured to Stonehenge before getting to the tropics and assumed Capricorn for the winter one because I just learned it was over 2 days before my sister's birthday. Also, I'm a Cancer and know that July is not very cold.

Glad to see Troy have a smooth game. Too bad the players couldn't let lay off a $400 clue to let Anne in at the end. I understand there's no way they can do that in real time.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

FJ totally baffled me... I think of a "geographical feature" as something physical, like a mountain or river or lake or ocean or island, or something real... Finally guessed Stonehenge just to say something, after thinking of Easter Island and Christmas Island... So, I was many miles from having a chance at that FJ.

The explanations on here make total sense, now maybe I have a reminder in my head to help me remember which line is which... Maybe.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

I don't know if anyone else pre-called this FJ!, but I literally just came up with the following clue about a week ago, and I had a feeling when I saw the category:

THE ZODIAC

The sun appears in Gemini at the June solstice and Sagittarius at the December one - a shift from 2000 years ago, when it was in these two signs on those dates

(What are Cancer and Capricorn?)

Theirs is better-written, but at least mine isn't Northern-Hemisphere-centric. :D

Actually, is there a way to argue that a response of Cancer should be acceptable? If you take the second clause of the clue as an independent statement, the Sun has appeared in Cancer, and appearing in Cancer (at another date) did give a geographic feature its name (the Tropic of Cancer). I feel it kind of works, but I don't think I'd like my chances with the judges.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Was I the only one who cursed when Duncan blew the daily double? James Cook is not an alliterative captain. The clue spotted 1611, which is 160 years before cook.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:56 pm James Cook is not an alliterative captain.
When you refer to him by his title he is. It's not rocket science.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:29 am
floridagator wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:56 pm James Cook is not an alliterative captain.
When they call him an "alliterative capt[ain]," it feels less likely that the alliteration's going to come from his title, on the principle that a key word in the response won't be in the clue. But I can't believe they didn't consider that that would be a stumbling block; I know the dates for each, and it took me a few seconds of hard thinking to get past Captain Cook.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jamie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 am
When they call him an "alliterative capt[ain]," it feels less likely that the alliteration's going to come from his title, on the principle that a key word in the response won't be in the clue. But I can't believe they didn't consider that that would be a stumbling block; I know the dates for each, and it took me a few seconds of hard thinking to get past Captain Cook.
I agree on all counts. I mainly disagree with going out of one's way to call him James Cook to say he's not alliterative, when one knows full well Duncan responded as he did because "Captain Cook" is alliterative.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:29 pm Feels like the clue should specify "At the northern hemisphere's Winter Solstice". It's not that the clue is unpinned without it, as the Sagittarius part does eliminate the possibility of Cancer as a valid alternate response. But still feels like poor writing not to be more precise with the language here.
Especially since they've established that "our" hemisphere refers to the Western.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jan
Contributor

Post by jan »

"After a meal of legumes with friends it might be best to strategically position yourself alee, meaning away from this": What a mistake! "Alee" certainly means "away from the wind", but you want to be *UPWIND* of that crowd!
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:29 pm Feels like the clue should specify "At the northern hemisphere's Winter Solstice". It's not that the clue is unpinned without it, as the Sagittarius part does eliminate the possibility of Cancer as a valid alternate response. But still feels like poor writing not to be more precise with the language here.
Lefty wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:25 am Especially since they've established that "our" hemisphere refers to the Western.
Ha! Indeed.

Duncan with 49 buzz in attempts and being locked out in FJ has to be frustrating.

I believe knowing the 12 signs of the zodiac in order in a must for contestants to know. There's only 12 of them and it makes life so much easier on clues like this.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:28 am "After a meal of legumes with friends it might be best to strategically position yourself alee, meaning away from this": What a mistake! "Alee" certainly means "away from the wind", but you want to be *UPWIND* of that crowd!
I took it to mean that you wanted to avoid embarrassment, so you wanted to be downwind.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jamie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 am
I got it from the year and knowing Hudson vanished. But I can see getting caught up in the moment and saying Cook. I don’t think I could have even told you Cook’s first name.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 am I don’t think I could have even told you Cook’s first name.
Would it help if you knew Captain James Kirk was named after Captain James Cook?

Cook had a journal entry that read, "ambition leads me ... farther than any other man has been before me", which might also sound familiar.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $42,400

51 R (3 DDs), 2 W (First ever 50 correct response game)

FJ: :mrgreen:

LT: Cop, Adventure

Categories Swept: CITY NAME CHANGES, OSCAR WINNING FORMULA, BOATING, AFGHANISTAN, CONNECTORS, WORDS OF PEACE, WHERE'D YA GO
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:27 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:23 pm Argh! Coin flip landed the wrong way.
Not a coin flip if you think of astrological signs in December.
Doesn't work for me. I read my horoscope one day, and it told me I didn't believe in astrology. Haven't thought much about the zodiac since.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.