Friday, January 20, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 20, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:37 pm
threearruda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:15 pm We'll see what the taping gap does to Troy's playing.
My game airs next Friday .. I know you like to joke about what runs through the challengers’ minds when a juggernaut shows up as champion, so I’ll let you imagine the curse words and/or inaudible gasps when I figured out who champ was LOL. Pedigree aside, it certainly doesn’t take a genius to know that 2 wins and 62k = excellent. Very impressive Coryat in this one.
Spoiler
The only way this isn't a spoiler for the next 4 episodes is if you are intimating that you had this epiphany immediately on entering the studio as they begin to tape the 5 games for the day. Maybe you want to consider a quick edit on this post?[ I'll come back and wipe this out if a mod doesn't beat me to it /spoiler]

In any case I wish you luck and success. It's great seeing all these active boardies getting their 15 minutes of fame, and hopefully more :).
threearruda said "when I figured out who the champ was", whether that meant recognizing Troy by face or learning his name from him (or other players murmuring) or hearing his name when announced as the champion for Monday's game, in any event there's no reason to think Troy would not be identified until the 5th game of the taping. So I don't think there is any potential spoiler here.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:18 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:15 pm We'll see what the taping gap does to Troy's playing.
My game airs next Friday .. I know you like to joke about what runs through the challengers’ minds when a juggernaut shows up as champion, so I’ll let you imagine the curse words and/or inaudible gasps when I figured out who champ was LOL. Pedigree aside, it certainly doesn’t take a genius to know that 2 wins and 62k = excellent. Very impressive Coryat in this one.
Spoiler
The only way this isn't a spoiler for the next 4 episodes is if you are intimating that you had this epiphany immediately on entering the studio as they begin to tape the 5 games for the day. Maybe you want to consider a quick edit on this post?[ I'll come back and wipe this out if a mod doesn't beat me to it /spoiler]

In any case I wish you luck and success. It's great seeing all these active boardies getting their 15 minutes of fame, and hopefully more :).
threearruda said "when I figured out who the champ was", whether that meant recognizing Troy by face or learning his name from him (or other players murmuring) or hearing his name when announced as the champion for Monday's game, in any event there's no reason to think Troy would not be identified until the 5th game of the taping. So I don't think there is any potential spoiler here.
Agree. Everyone coming in at the beginning of the taping day is going to want to know who the defending champ is. You've got quite a bit of time before the Monday show tapes. Plenty of time for scuttlebutt on who the champ is. All we know is that Troy was there at the start of the tape day...which we already knew.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:07 pm learned a new word today in "ukases", in the same category where my name appears. :lol:
Ukase is one of my favorite words.
Douglas Squasoni
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:01 am I can understand Troy being gunshy about monetizing the FJ in his second game so soon after the scare in his debut. But now that he has some bank, I will even agree with the "left money on the table" crowd. I usually disagree with that accusation for regular players because people aren't used to risking four figures of REAL money on an unknown prop bet. Troy's omniscience should be a license to let the FJ margins of victory ride at every chance possible hereafter.
I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again - that's easy to say when it's not your money. When it's a lock game, betting $10,000 on Final is functionally equivalent to pulling $10,000 (or the post-tax equivalent, I suppose) out of your bank account to answer a single trivia question, which I think would make any rational person stop dead in their tracks if you removed the Jeopardy trappings from the equation.

As for me, for some reason I thought Law and Order started a couple years later than 1990, so didn't really consider it. Couldn't think of anything good, really, so I ended up on the only show I was reasonably sure debuted in 1990 - Twin Peaks.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:42 pm I normally watch with the closed captioning turned off (it sometimes reveals responses before the contestant has articulated them, but I may have to record and watch this one again with them enabled, just to see how Sony rendered Ken's imitation of the sound effect.
Sony isn't the entity doing the closed captioning (it's an outside contractor).
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Spoiler

I'm sorry if that wasn't clear - as others have stated, this realization was at the start of the tape day (you're told who the reigning champion is at the start of the session, so they shouted out Troy who had 2 wins and ~$63k under his belt). I lurk the community enough to know who some of the big names are, and happened to recognize this one by the time Monday's show began.

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:18 pm
threearruda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:39 pm My game airs next Friday ..
What?!? You're going to be on the show too?!? :o
Yep, middle podium. I'll get my contestant picture as the avatar here soon. I'm not as popular as morbeedo so I didn't think it warranted its own thread. :mrgreen:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Troy gives us the performance we fully expected.

As for the CC rendering of the sound:

Jeopardy Law and Order Sound.png
Jeopardy Law and Order Sound.png (336.93 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Newhausen wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:01 am I can understand Troy being gunshy about monetizing the FJ in his second game so soon after the scare in his debut. But now that he has some bank, I will even agree with the "left money on the table" crowd. I usually disagree with that accusation for regular players because people aren't used to risking four figures of REAL money on an unknown prop bet. Troy's omniscience should be a license to let the FJ margins of victory ride at every chance possible hereafter.
I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again - that's easy to say when it's not your money. When it's a lock game, betting $10,000 on Final is functionally equivalent to pulling $10,000 (or the post-tax equivalent, I suppose) out of your bank account to answer a single trivia question, which I think would make any rational person stop dead in their tracks if you removed the Jeopardy trappings from the equation.
If you have won 20 games and have banked a million dollars, go for it. If it is just my second day then I’d be a bit more cautious.
As for me, for some reason I thought Law and Order started a couple years later than 1990, so didn't really consider it. Couldn't think of anything good, really, so I ended up on the only show I was reasonably sure debuted in 1990 - Twin Peaks.
Got it from Mike Post’s name.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:05 pm Anyone else getting a strong Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent vibe from Troy?
Bill Hader for me. Either way he's adorable. Go, Troy, go!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

threearruda wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 am
Spoiler

I'm sorry if that wasn't clear - as others have stated, this realization was at the start of the tape day (you're told who the reigning champion is at the start of the session, so they shouted out Troy who had 2 wins and ~$63k under his belt). I lurk the community enough to know who some of the big names are, and happened to recognize this one by the time Monday's show began.
Thanks. I was sure that you thought it through, but I had to do a double take on the math and maybe some newbies don't realize the taping day is a full week.
"Not as popular as morbeedo...." - all you need is a clown nose, lol...
Us boardies need someplace to cheer lead and vicariously experience your achievement :).
Newhausen wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:05 am
I'm the biggest defender of players "leaving money on the table" when it comes up, just for the reasons you've stated so perfectly. I think my post was meant to defend his game 2 wager from pre-emptive criticism. I sure understand Troy only putting 3% of his earnings at risk after playing only an hour and surviving a first game scare. The small sample size doesn't project into a streak of runaway games, but if he gets on a roll and doesn't start monetizing his 80-90% edge then I will grudgingly agree with the "left money on the table" critics.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:08 am Troy gives us the performance we fully expected.

As for the CC rendering of the sound:

Jeopardy Law and Order Sound.png
Post himself calls it the Clang, although I prefer Richard Belzer's name, "the Dick Wolf cash register sound".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I thought that Troy looked visibly less nervous in his second game. Given his bona fides, I wonder if he didn’t feel more than the usual amount of pre-game anxiety about doing well. In any event, by the DJ round I felt like I was seeing the Troy that has demolished me in other trivia venues.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:46 am Got it from Mike Post’s name.
That plus 1990 did it for me. The vibe of the clue made me think more of a prison drama. But I knew 1990 was several years too early for Oz. If Twin Peaks had occurred to me, I'd have known that the year was right but the composer was wrong. That music was by Angelo Badalamenti, who might make his way into a clue soon since he passed a month and a half ago. So I stuck with L&O because I knew for sure the composer was right and 1990 sounded about right for the year.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Newhausen wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:05 am I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again - that's easy to say when it's not your money. When it's a lock game, betting $10,000 on Final is functionally equivalent to pulling $10,000 (or the post-tax equivalent, I suppose) out of your bank account to answer a single trivia question, which I think would make any rational person stop dead in their tracks if you removed the Jeopardy trappings from the equation.
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am I'm the biggest defender of players "leaving money on the table" when it comes up, just for the reasons you've stated so perfectly. I think my post was meant to defend his game 2 wager from pre-emptive criticism. I sure understand Troy only putting 3% of his earnings at risk after playing only an hour and surviving a first game scare. The small sample size doesn't project into a streak of runaway games, but if he gets on a roll and doesn't start monetizing his 80-90% edge then I will grudgingly agree with the "left money on the table" critics.
Clue 61 is basically the only clue where GTO might not apply because in a lock situation you are actually dealing with real money. Obviously GTO indicates that with a lock you either bet $0 or the max that still guarantees the lock depending on category. In this situation there's really no wrong wager short of risking the lock. Although I don't believe many contestants in this situation really put much thought into what they are wagering and why.

Dealing with this situation is much easier for poker players because they are used to simply making the decision that makes the most money every single time. And that you can make the perfect decision but still lose money. Money is just a way of keeping score and that will take care of itself by continually making the right decision.

Here's something to consider for wagering $0 in these situations. In the studio after clue 60 there is a break. During this time contestants are given instructions by staff, considering the category, making a wager, etc. Depending on things this process could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Then back to taping, the clue, the reveal, the announcements, signing off, the podium chat, etc. Another 5-10 minutes before the champ walks off stage. That process could last perhaps as long as 25 minutes although most times it's closer to 15. So wouldn't it be nice and much less stressful to be able to chill during that entire process by wagering $0? Otherwise you're still on the knife's edge trying to win more money.

Now this wouldn't be for everybody, if you're a tough player and properly focused on winning the max without worry about getting tired later in the taping day, then scratch and claw for every single dollar.

A very low percentage of people have even wagered 3 figures on anything in their lives. Let alone 4 or 5 figures. They have zero clue, who gives a crap what they think. People still ask me why I didn't pull the trigger on the $500k question on Millionaire. I calmly ask them when the last time was that they risked $218k on anything in their lives. When they say never I then reply, "then shut the f*** up" and walk away.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Enjoying Troy's run. Very fast-paced game today.

Looking forward to watching threearruda's game!

I said "The Ozarks" instead of "Ozark" so I'll need to be careful about that in the future.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Golf wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:32 pm
Newhausen wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:05 am I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again - that's easy to say when it's not your money. When it's a lock game, betting $10,000 on Final is functionally equivalent to pulling $10,000 (or the post-tax equivalent, I suppose) out of your bank account to answer a single trivia question, which I think would make any rational person stop dead in their tracks if you removed the Jeopardy trappings from the equation.
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am I'm the biggest defender of players "leaving money on the table" when it comes up, just for the reasons you've stated so perfectly. I think my post was meant to defend his game 2 wager from pre-emptive criticism. I sure understand Troy only putting 3% of his earnings at risk after playing only an hour and surviving a first game scare. The small sample size doesn't project into a streak of runaway games, but if he gets on a roll and doesn't start monetizing his 80-90% edge then I will grudgingly agree with the "left money on the table" critics.
Clue 61 is basically the only clue where GTO might not apply because in a lock situation you are actually dealing with real money. Obviously GTO indicates that with a lock you either bet $0 or the max that still guarantees the lock depending on category. In this situation there's really no wrong wager short of risking the lock. Although I don't believe many contestants in this situation really put much thought into what they are wagering and why.

Dealing with this situation is much easier for poker players because they are used to simply making the decision that makes the most money every single time. And that you can make the perfect decision but still lose money. Money is just a way of keeping score and that will take care of itself by continually making the right decision.

Here's something to consider for wagering $0 in these situations. In the studio after clue 60 there is a break. During this time contestants are given instructions by staff, considering the category, making a wager, etc. Depending on things this process could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. Then back to taping, the clue, the reveal, the announcements, signing off, the podium chat, etc. Another 5-10 minutes before the champ walks off stage. That process could last perhaps as long as 25 minutes although most times it's closer to 15. So wouldn't it be nice and much less stressful to be able to chill during that entire process by wagering $0? Otherwise you're still on the knife's edge trying to win more money.

Now this wouldn't be for everybody, if you're a tough player and properly focused on winning the max without worry about getting tired later in the taping day, then scratch and claw for every single dollar.

A very low percentage of people have even wagered 3 figures on anything in their lives. Let alone 4 or 5 figures. They have zero clue, who gives a crap what they think. People still ask me why I didn't pull the trigger on the $500k question on Millionaire. I calmly ask them when the last time was that they risked $218k on anything in their lives. When they say never I then reply, "then shut the f*** up" and walk away.
Anybody who has bought a home has made a significant wager. From what I know about Troy (and I used to play regularly against him in an online J! simulator), his chance of getting any particular FJ! is greater than the chance of your house being a good bet.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:05 pm Anyone else getting a strong Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent vibe from Troy?
Yes, I noticed the resemblance as soon as he was introduced in his first game.

I got FJ because of an article I read 15 or 20 years ago, maybe in the Wall Street Journal. Just about the only thing I remember from the article is that the Law and Order sound effect includes the sound of a cell door slamming shut.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:53 am
Bill Hader for me. Either way he's adorable. Go, Troy, go!
I was thinking that he looks a little bit like Cillian Murphy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:15 pm Troy seems like an awfully strong contestant. Maybe if he wins a few more games we'll get to hear him answer a clue without first saying "UHHH."

At least one can hope.

:roll:
Did he ever say "uh" before responding to a clue? I only remember hearing it as he called for the following clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the 1/31/23 ep. of You Bet Your Life with Jay Leno: (spoiler for image size)
Spoiler