New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Golf »

DBear wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:05 pm Sure, a Goren points DD would get a correct response in 2023, right?
it does from me, what's the problem? :geek:
Same here but admittedly didn’t know the Blackwood clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:05 pm Sure, a Goren points DD would get a correct response in 2023, right?
Looks like you still thought you were in the Bridge category on DJ11. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:02 am
Looks like you still thought you were in the Bridge category on DJ11. ;)
Look! Up in the sky! It's a bid!

Fixed, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 12/12/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7681

Player pics of Mary Matthews, Michael Moffett and Rocky Schmidt:
Spoiler
It’s always nice to find confirmation for spelling player names: https://www.concordmonitor.com/Jeopardy ... s-29828290

RKS: You can let Rocky know his run is now complete in the archive.

Alex and the judges let the Juice Newton song title get by as said, but I could allow myself to mark it that way in the correct response space.

The 3 of 9 Angels DD had me put what Alex said although I'm not seeing Domination like he said. And Alex did not say the remaining six groups. I was unsure about capitalization of the types.

"DOWN" songs distracted me more than once while archiving as I did not think I knew $600 until I listened to it. $800 was very much new to me as far as I can recall and I ended up listening to both the Cher and the Sonny version.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:32 pm RKS: You can let Rocky know his run is now complete in the archive.
I will let my brother-in-first-initial-and-surname know next time I see him!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:32 pm The 3 of 9 Angels DD had me put what Alex said although I'm not seeing Domination like he said. And Alex did not say the remaining six groups.
Dominions is the group. I've definitely heard the "domination" misreading in Catholic masses before.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Finishing Frazee tape #2 we have Friday, January 3, 1992, Polly Morrice-Golvach vs Eric Flaxman vs Todd Lefkowitz.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7625

The game Mark entered yesterday had a John Huston clue. This game had an entire JOHN HUSTON category. Please be sure to update your lists of every category that has been used on the show.

(I see I have a typo in the $200 clue in that category. I've already submitted a correction, so don't fret.)

And what the heck, lets take clue of the day from that category too. For $500:
"The Night of the Iguana" so popularized this Mexican resort city there's now a statue of Huston there
Spoiler
What is Puerto Vallarta?
Polly made a good charge at the end, but fell just short on a 3-way get FJ.

The following game was already in the Archive, so that's nice. Tape 3 has two full new games on it and one partial, so I'll be digitizing that later today. (Spoiler: They're from Season 7.) Onward.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:06 pm The following game was already in the Archive
I went ahead and updated the Continuing from game field in the succeeding game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/29/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7683

Player pics of Bill Smith, Sharyn Hay and Mark Singer:
Spoiler
Season 1 I brace myself for 15W and the players still exceed my expectation. The trade-off is shorter clues and incomplete rounds. J11 not on the recording so nothing I can do about that one.

I was surprised in 2023 this game has the only Bill Smith so far in the archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 am Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/29/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7683

Spoiler
Season 1 I brace myself for 15W and the players still exceed my expectation. The trade-off is shorter clues and incomplete rounds. J11 not on the recording so nothing I can do about that one.

I was surprised in 2023 this game has the only Bill Smith so far in the archive.
DJ3-Harpers Ferry is now part of West Virginia. Perhaps an erratum?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:50 am
Spoiler
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 am Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/29/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7683

Spoiler

Nice catch! I wonder if the writers knew that but thought of the clue as being in the historic present tense. If so, they switched to the past tense for the 3rd and 5th row with 2nd and 4th able to go either way.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:00 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:50 am
Nice catch! I wonder if the writers knew that but thought of the clue as being in the historic present tense. If so, they switched to the past tense for the 3rd and 5th row with 2nd and 4th able to go either way.
This would, I think, fall under the rubric of judging leniency rather than an erratum: the writers didn't write something that was factually wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/18/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7685

Player pics of Brigette Ford, Bart Brewer and Jay Rosenberg:
Spoiler
The FJ! clue turned out for 2000 to be too late.

Aw, 10 clues not played in the DJ! round for no Shakespeare. That just breaks my heart, not.

The archivists do not have Jay Rosenberg 1 or 2. :(
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9886

According to Molly Redfield's player page, "In her Season 7 games, Molly was introduced as a "Ph.D. candidate". Upon returning for Season 8, Molly was introduced as a "graduate student".

Molly was introduced as a graduate student for both the 1991-07-04 and 1991-07-05 games. Is it possible the Archive has the 2 descriptors reversed? It seems to me it would make more sense that way, grad student first, and then PhD candidate.

Based on the games following on this tape, I'm pretty sure these recordings are from the original airings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 am https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9886

According to Molly Redfield's player page, "In her Season 7 games, Molly was introduced as a "Ph.D. candidate". Upon returning for Season 8, Molly was introduced as a "graduate student".

Molly was introduced as a graduate student for both the 1991-07-04 and 1991-07-05 games. Is it possible the Archive has the 2 descriptors reversed? It seems to me it would make more sense that way, grad student first, and then PhD candidate.

Based on the games following on this tape, I'm pretty sure these recordings are from the original airings.
Netflix ran the season openers and I just checked the S8 premiere and that is graduate student.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

One possible explanation is that she was announced as a "Ph.D. candidate" only for #1593, rather than for all three S7 games.

Another possible explanation is that the archivist of #1593 misentered. Then the archivist for #1596 noted the difference between the show intro and the archived intro and added the note.

Let's assume the former until we can check #1593, too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 11/24/88: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7676

Player pics of Jay Browne, Yael Sofaer and Gleen Stoops:
Spoiler
Always fun to watch again to see how a ToCer got started. Like Donald Burgo, I could identify Yael's voice in a snap.

Another snap was 3/3 on the FJ! clue for something that becomes easier over the years with many years of foundational memory while in 1988 it can be more difficult closer to the fact.
When I clicked on Yael’s name on this game her bio didn’t mention her being a TOC player and her stats link only included her regular games. Her stats link in the TOC version of her only includes her TOC and SJ games.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:32 am One possible explanation is that she was announced as a "Ph.D. candidate" only for #1593, rather than for all three S7 games.

Another possible explanation is that the archivist of #1593 misentered. Then the archivist for #1596 noted the difference between the show intro and the archived intro and added the note.

Let's assume the former until we can check #1593, too.
Yeah, being that #1593 was a Mark-from-tape entry in 2015, I'm going to assume the former—that Molly was introduced as a Ph.D. candidate in #1593, not having seen the tape.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:40 am When I clicked on Yael’s name on this game her bio didn’t mention her being a TOC player and her stats link only included her regular games. Her stats link in the TOC version of her only includes her TOC and SJ games.
Fixed, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/30/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7688

Player pics of Jim Flowers, Jonathan Oren and Tom Rutledge:
Spoiler
BASEBALL NICKNAMES, TOYS OF THE '60s and later... TELEVISION for the FJ! category? Yes, please. Just as good was the TS clue at DJ24 as I laughed knowing even the "Spring" was not going to help those guys as the clue was stale even in 1986.

Alex acted like he had never seen the shaka in his life.

You can by Jim's pic why he reminded me of Eric Backes with the wide arms.