Tuesday, January 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:00 am What a world we live in today
Spoiler

Just when I think Twitter couldn't possibly be any dumber, it goes and does something like this. and TOTALLY REDEEMS ITSELF!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I had to listen to Mr. Concepcion's opening more than once to make sense of it, parsing where names ended and grammar began...
Hello, out there in broadcast TV land--I'm Jason Concepcion of the crooked.com podcast Takeline and X-Ray Vision and the digital series NBA Desktop with clues from my empire of pop culture commentary
I think his outfit was a little distracting too...but by the end of the category I wanted both shirt and sweater (just not together)... :)
Then again, I'm a native of broadcast and mom & pop (a little defensive?) TV...
Of course, familiarity with the reader had nothing to do with solving the clues...which imo got easier as they moved down. ($800 easiest of all, surely...)
For FJ, I wrote Oregon and... and could not come up with an adjoining state...but moving farther east didn't help... :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So identifying the state of Georgia with it outlined on a map is a fourth row clue.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:43 pm Liz was totally Natalie Teeger. Great comeback on her part. If you ask me, contestants with negative totals should be able to do FJ just for bragging rights.
Not a fan of the Second Chance tournament, but I could get aboard this.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:52 pm
There probably won't be a poll choice on this, but I've read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and got that TS. Haldeman wrote the novel as a sort of futuristic critique of his experience in Vietnam. It has long been taken as a direct reply to Heinlein's macho pro-military Starship Troopers. Haldeman denies this but does acknowledge that, while he admired Heinlein's storytelling in that novel, he did feel that it glorified war and he took issue with that.
And John Scalzi, author of Redshirts, has long acknowledged both Starship Troopers and The Forever War as sources of inspiration for his first novel, Old Man's War.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am So identifying the state of Georgia with it outlined on a map is a fourth row clue.
My thought as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:09 am So identifying the state of Georgia with it outlined on a map is a fourth row clue.
:lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:04 pm
:lol:
And did George RR Martin belong in the bottom row?
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Add me to the list of people who quickly came up with Oregon and Nevada (along with Kansas), but didn't think they touched. I knew OR was above CA, and NV is to the right, but do the two touch? And also like many others here, blurted them out for lack of anything better.

I had no idea Oregon goes as far as it does east over Nevada. Might be worth a question this weekend.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd like to see the poll question, have you ever crossed the Oregon Nevada border on land?

I don't consider Indonesia to be an archipelago. I think of an archipelago as a group of islands of like origin, like the Aleutians. I think the Indonesian islands are a group of islands, not an archipelago.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:46 pm I'd like to see the poll question, have you ever crossed the Oregon Nevada border on land?
Actually, I have. I had business in Winnemucca, NV and drove to the Oregon state line to add Oregon to the states I'd set foot in. I crossed the line and had a soda at a gas station in Oregon (I later added Oregon 'legitimately' with a stay in Portland). I remember that the gas station had a cartoon in the window of a sheepish looking driver who had been pulled over by a cop. The cop was saying "The next time you wave, use all five fingers." It amused me.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:46 pm I'd like to see the poll question, have you ever crossed the Oregon Nevada border on land?

I don't consider Indonesia to be an archipelago. I think of an archipelago as a group of islands of like origin, like the Aleutians. I think the Indonesian islands are a group of islands, not an archipelago.
And yet, you hate to be wrong... :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archipelagic_state
For the record, I clammed on the clue for similar reasons...but I consider that what I think doesn't amount to an island chain of beans in this world... ;)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I've had "The Forever War" in my virtual "to read" pile forev... um, quite a long time.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ken discussed this FJ! briefly on a contributor bonus episode of his podcast with John Roderick. Transcript...

Ken: I suggested a Final Jeopardy! clue the other day to the "Jeopardy!" writers.

John: I didn't know you did that.

Ken: Sometimes.

John: Do you get paid extra?

Ken: No. In fact, it probably annoys them, and they'd like to pay me less. But I was looking at a map, and I noticed that all the 6-letter U.S. states are west of the Mississippi. Given that information, which two border each other? You have 30 seconds, players. Good luck.

John: The two --

Ken: The two 6-letter states that border each other. Given -- now that I've told you that they -- all the 6-letter states are west of the Mississippi.

John: Uh, let's see. It'll be Arizona and --

Ken: Arizona's 7.

John: Mm. It would be, um, Oregon and Idaho.

Ken: You are correct on one of them. Idaho's 5 letters.

John: Dammit. It would be Oregon and, uh... Nevada.

Ken: It's Oregon and Nevada.

John: Wow, Oregon and Nevada.

Ken: The other three are Kansas, Alaska, and Hawaii. Nobody got it right, and I felt bad because I had thought of a question that was too hard. But also, I think people don't think of Oregon as bordering Nevada, even though they do have that little corner.