March Madness Quiz (All answers revealed)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

March Madness Quiz (All answers revealed)

Post by clt013 »

I am back with another "experiment". Six years ago, I hosted my initial TD - which was based on a popular annual March event. After that, I posted another five quizzes that were also at least loosely tied to NCAA basketball tournaments. This time, instead of a TD, I will post two series of questions (one sports-related and the other "non-sports") in four segments between March 1 and the men's championship game on April 3. There will be 34 queries (one for each day in that period) in each series - making for a total of 68, which is also the number of teams in each NCAA tournament field.

Answer whichever questions you like and note the limits for number of responses in each round. (Correct answers = +1, Incorrect = -1)

There will be 3 sets of standings: 1) "Non-sports" only, 2) Sports only, 3) "Non-sports" and Sports combined.

Submit responses via PM. As always, thank you for taking the time to check this out.

Schedule: 3/1 (8 questions in each series), 3/9 (10 Qs), 3/19 (8 Qs), 3/27 (8 Qs)
I also plan to post "halftime" scores some time after calculating the totals through segment #2.

Segment 1: Conference Tournaments

["Power 5" (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) + Big East, Atlantic 10 and Missouri Valley conferences]

NON-SPORTS (Name up to 8 for each question)

1. ACC - Name 6-letter words starting with "ACC" that are legal in Scrabble.

2. Big East - Name countries besides the US and Canada that are at least partially located in the Eastern time zone (or UTC-5).

3. Big Ten - Name any Bible books with titles that are 10 or more letters in length. [Note: Titles in numbered books (such as 1 & 2 Kings or 1, 2 & 3 John) are counted together and use only the letters of the word (so "Kings" or "John" in these examples) in determining length.]

4. Big 12 - Tom Hanks starred in the movie "Big" and later won two Best Actor Oscars. Name others with multiple Best Actor awards.

5. Pac-12 - Give the names of the ghost characters and the bonus "fruits" in the video game Ms. Pac-Man.

6. SEC - In addition to the Southeast Conference, those letters are the abbreviation for the Securites & Exchange Commission. Name companies included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average which start with the letters in "March".

7. Atlantic 10 - Name properties that can be bought in the game of Monopoly between Atlantic Avenue and Go.

8. Missouri Valley - Name states (besides MO) touched by the Missouri River and/or by the Mississippi River before the two streams meet.

SPORTS (Name up to 8 for each question)

9. ACC - Name schools that reached the Men's Final Four while a member of the conference.

10. Big East - Name NCAA Division I schools that include the word "East". [Examples for other directions: Northern Iowa, West Virginia]

11. Big Ten - Name Super Bowl starting quarterbacks and/or MVPs (any position) who spent their final year of college in the conference. [Note: Players such as Vince Ferragamo, Boomer Esiason and Neil O'Donnell do not count as their college tenures came when now-Big 10 schools were in other conferences.]

12. Big 12 - Despite its name, the conference currently only has 10 teams. Between those numbers is 11 - the players each team fields in a soccer game. Name countries that have won the men's FIFA World Cup.

13. Pac-12 - Name MLB teams located in states of current conference members.

14. SEC - The southeastern US is home to many NASCAR races. Name tracks/locations which hosted 2022 Cup (top level) events and are not located in SEC states or those that border SEC states. [i.e. Tracks/locations in states that do not border SEC states.]

15. Atlantic 10 - Conference member Fordham is located in New York, which also hosts tennis' US Open. Name tennis players (male or female) with 10 or more major (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open) singles titles in the Open era. [Note: Billie Jean King (4 titles in Amateur Era, 8 in Open Era) does not count.]

16. Missouri Valley - The conference of my alma mater and the only one whose tournament I have attended. Name states that have had MVC basketball member schools at any time since 1990 (when I started college) or are home to a Division I institution containing the word "Valley".
Last edited by clt013 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
clt013

Re: March Madness Quiz

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

JBoard is being weird for me; did my submission get through?
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Entrant list...
Spoiler
Woof (1,2,3,4)
mahatma (1,2,3,4)
Ironhorse (1,2,3)
ouachiouat (1)
merica (1,2,3,4)

MarkBarrett (1,2,3,4)
cinemaniax7 (1,2,3,4)
gamawire (1)
MattKnowles (1,2,3,4)
threearruda (1,2,3,4)
Last edited by clt013 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:57 pm JBoard is being weird for me; did my submission get through?
I've also had some troubles with PMs not going through -- it's probably user error. :)
CLT, I tried send you a PM just now; let me know if received or not. Thanks.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally got my entry in.
clt013

Re: March Madness Quiz (First 2 sets of Qs posted)

Post by clt013 »

The second set of questions are posted below. Before that, a few notes...

1. While I still plan to post "halftime" scores some time after calculating them, I am not planning to release any answers until the men's tournament is over April 3. That means there is still time to respond to the first set of questions for those who haven't done so already and feel like they may have missed a deadline.

2. There were a few questions that caused confusion in my first batch. Hopefully this set is better, but please let me know if anything is not clear. I am definitely willing to provide clarification and make necessary edits to the wording of questions and apologize for confusion caused by past or future queries. My main goal is for these quizzes to be fun and creating frustration among possible entrants is certainly not what I am trying to accomplish.

3. The limit on responses to each question in this set is 10 (up from 8 in Part I).

4. As always, thank you for taking the time to check this out (and hopefully submit an entry).

Segment 2: "First Four" + 1st/2nd Rounds (Part 1)

[Men: First Four (Dayton) and 4 (Albany, Denver, Greensboro, Sacramento) 1st/2nd round host cities]
[Women: Games at campus sites TBD, so Qs tied to phrase "First Four" & schools with 3+ titles (Connecticut, Tennessee, Baylor, Stanford)]

NON-SPORTS (Name up to 10 for each question)

17. Dayton - Home to the Wright Brothers - known for an early airplane flight. Name US-based airlines that carried at least 3 million passengers in 2019.

18. First Four - Name 2 or 4-letter words that can be formed from the letters in "First".

19. Albany - Can be spelled with the symbols for Aluminum (Al), Barium (Ba), Nitrogen (N) and Yttrium (Y). Name the other elements with a single letter (besides N and Y) symbol.

20. Denver - Name 1970s John Denver songs which reached the Billboard Top 40.

21. Greensboro - In the 2020 Census, North Carolina's 3rd largest city was #70 in population - with just under 300,000 people. Name states (besides NC) that had at least 2 cities in the 69 most populated.

22. Sacramento - Birthplace of Mark Goodson, who was a producer of numerous game shows. Name regular hosts of these programs: The Price Is Right (CBS daytime), Family Feud (All versions) and Card Sharks (All versions).

23. Connecticut - Mark Twain wrote the book A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor will be presented to Adam Sandler this month. Name other living recipients of the award. [Note: Bill Cosby not counted as his award was rescinded.]

24. Tennessee - The home state of 2000 Presidential candidate Al Gore, who failed to win its electoral votes. Name the capitals of states with more electoral votes than Tennessee.

25. Baylor - Alma mater of John Lee Hancock, director of 1999 Best Picture Oscar nominee The Blind Side. Name films among the last thirteen to win the Best Picture Oscar. [Note: 2023 winner (announced March 12) will not be accepted]

26. Stanford - Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina earned her undergraduate degree from this school. She received just over 40,000 votes as a candidate for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. Name other women to receive at least 5,000 votes in Democratic or Republican primaries.

SPORTS (Name up to 10 for each question)

27. Dayton - Except for 2021, this city has hosted the Men's First Four since the round began being called that in 2011. Name conferences that have had teams participate in the "#16 vs. #16" seed (not the #11/#11 or #12/#12) games during that span. [Based on conference membership of the school at the time of the game - some may have moved to other conferences since then.]

28. First Four - A.J. Foyt became the 1st 4-time winner of the Indianpolis 500 in 1977. Name other drivers with multiple championships who had at least one of their victories since then. [i.e. Driver may have also won prior to 1977.]

29. Albany - The capital of New York is home to a team in the America East Conference. Name state capitals with Division I schools in Power 5 (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) conferences.

30. Denver - Colorado's capital was initially awarded the 1976 Winter Olympics, but withdrew as host when voters rejected funding. Name cities to host the Winter Olympics since Denver's withdrawal.

31. Greensboro - Home to a minor league baseball team called the Grasshoppers. That team plays in the South Atlantic League, which also has franchises in states such as Delaware and South Carolina. Name other states that, like DE and SC, have affiliated minor league baseball teams, but no "Big 4" franchises.

32. Sacramento - The California capital was home to a Canadian Football League team (the Gold Miners) for the 1993 and 1994 seasons. Give nicknames of current CFL franchises or American teams (besides Sacramento) that played two years in the same location.

33. Connecticut - The state is home to the WNBA's Sun. Give nicknames of other league franchises (either current or defunct) ending in letters besides "S".

34. Tennessee - Home state of the East Tennessee State Buccaneers - who share their nickname with the NFL's Tampa Bay franchise. Name locations that have multiple "Big 4" teams which share nicknames with full (non-"transitional") NCAA Division I members. [Areas with 1 match - Seattle (Seahawks), Minneapolis (Vikings). Houston (Rockets, Texans) will be a multiple match when Tarleton State becomes a full D1 member in 2024.] {Notes: A) Hawaii nickname is Rainbow Warriors. B) Consider these pairs of cities as single areas: 1) Los Angeles/Anaheim, 2) San Francisco/Oakland}

Transitional D1 members (Do not count): Bellarmine, Lindenwood, Merrimack, Queens, Stonehill, Tarleton State, Texas A&M - Commerce, UC San Diego, St. Thomas, Southern Indiana and Utah Tech

35. Baylor - Surname of Los Angeles Laker legend Elgin, who is the 33rd all-time NBA scorer. Name players with more points who played for no more than two franchises.

36. Stanford - The Cardinal men have won 1 NCAA and 3 NIT championships. Name schools whose men's teams have at least 3 NIT titles or won both the NCAA & NIT and have a combined total of 3 or more. [Note: This means Duke (5 NCAA, 0 NIT) and Kansas (4 NCAA, 0 NIT) do not count.]
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bounce before this slides off the front page.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Another bump before the tournaments ramp up in a couple of days.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Bouncing before the weekend - with the third set of questions to be posted some time on Sunday.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Segment 3: 1st/2nd Round (Part 2)

[Men: 4 (Birmingham, Columbus, Des Moines, Orlando) 1st/2nd round host cities]
[Women: Qs tied to Iowa City and the first 3* schools (Missouri, Illinois State, Creighton) I saw Iowa host in NCAA tournament games there]
*--Now up to 5 with Southeastern Louisiana and Georgia added this year.

NON-SPORTS (Name up to 10 for each question)

37. Birmingham - The English city of the same name was the birthplace of Neville Chamberlain, who served as British Prime Minister for nearly 3 years. Name others who served at least 3 years in that role since Chamberlain resigned in 1940.

38. Columbus - The setting for 1980s NBC sitcom Family Ties, which featured Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton. Name the other members of the Keaton family (character names, not actors), actors who appeared in all 3 Back to the Future films with Fox and/or those who played Marty McFly's parents / girlfriend in those movies.

39. Des Moines - Iowa's capital is located in Polk County. Name other counties in the state that share the surname of a US President.

40. Orlando - Home to Disney World. Name official Disney princesses. [According to princess.disney.com]

41. Iowa City - The University of Iowa campus includes the Old Capitol building as Iowa City was once the state's capital. Name countries with a capital containing the entire country name. [State examples: Indiana / Indianapolis, Oklahoma / Oklahoma City.]

42. Missouri - The state's postal code (MO) is a legal word in Scrabble. Name other 2-letter Scrabble words that are also US postal codes of states that do not touch the Mississippi River.

43. Illinois State - The school's nickname is the Redbirds. Name colors (other than those including the word "red") that can be found in the Crayola 16 box.

44. Creighton - The campus is located in Omaha, which is close to where American Arbor Day originated. Name 2023 federal holidays.

SPORTS (Name up to 10 for each question)

45. Birmingham - The 2022 version of the USFL played all regular season games in this Alabama city that also had a team in the first (1983-85) edition of the league. Name other locations of teams active in the final season (1985) of the league's original incarnation.

46. Columbus - The Ohio State women reached the NCAA final in 1993 and lost to Texas Tech. Name other schools that are winless in their women's tournament championship game appearances.

47. Des Moines - 2023 Ryder Cup captain Zach Johnson played his college golf at the city's Drake University. Name golfers who (like Johnson) have won both the Masters & British Open.

48. Orlando - The city's lone "Big 4" franchise (the Magic) has lost in the NBA Finals twice. Name other NBA franchises with multiple series losses in the Finals.

49. Iowa City - The Hawkeyes won the 1986 Field Hockey title. Name countries with an Olympic Field Hockey Gold and/or multiple appearances in the semifinals (men or women).

50. Missouri - The state's quintet of full NCAA Division I member schools are in 5 different conferences (Missouri - SEC, Missouri State - MVC, Kansas City - Summit, Saint Louis - A10, SE Missouri State - OVC). Name states whose D1 basketball schools are in only 1 or 2 conferences.

51. Illinois State - The team nickname of Redbirds includes a color. Give the 2nd word of NCAA Division I nicknames (Format = "Color ____") that start with primary or secondary colors. [Other 1-word names (like Redbirds) include Bluejays (Creighton), Orange (Syracuse)]

52. Creighton - The campus is in Omaha, which annually hosts the College World Series. Name schools with multiple CWS titles.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

I am planning to post "halftime" scores some time on Thursday.

Reminder: I won't be revealing any answers yet, so still time to answer any/all of the 3 sets of questions posted. The fourth (and final) batch is coming next Monday.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

"Halftime" scores below - those who have yet to answer either/both segments can still do so and attempt to better these totals...

Segment 1 - Non-Sports
cinemaniax7 - 53
ouachiouat - 45
Woof - 42
Mahatma - 39
merica - 39
threearruda - 33
gamawire - 31
MarkBarrett - 31
Ironhorse - 23
MattKnowles - 21

Segment 1 - Sports
threearruda - 54
merica - 51
ouachiouat - 49
mahatma - 47
cinemaniax7 - 45
Woof - 40
MarkBarrett - 32
Ironhorse - 29
gamawire - 21
MattKnowles - 18

Segment 1 - Combined
cinemaniax7 - 98
ouachiouat - 94
merica - 90
threearruda - 87
mahatma - 86
Woof - 82
MarkBarrett - 63
gamawire - 52
Ironhorse - 52
MattKnowles - 39

Segment 2 - Non-Sports
cinemaniax7 - 71
threearruda - 69
MarkBarrett - 67
Woof - 64
merica - 53
MattKnowles - 51
Ironhorse - 42
mahatma - 42

Segment 2 - Sports
cinemaniax7 - 81
merica - 54
threearruda - 50
mahatma - 46
Ironhorse - 40
MarkBarrett - 37
Woof - 29
MattKnowles - 2

Segment 2 - Combined
cinemaniax7 - 152
threearruda - 119
merica - 107
MarkBarrett - 104
Woof - 93
mahatma - 88
Ironhorse - 82
MattKnowles - 53

Segments 1&2 - Non-Sports
cinemaniax7 - 124
Woof - 106
threearruda - 102
MarkBarrett - 98
merica - 92
mahatma - 81
MattKnowles - 72
Ironhorse - 65
ouachiouat - 45
gamawire - 31

Segments 1&2 - Sports
cinemaniax7 - 126
merica - 105
threearruda - 104
mahatma - 93
Ironhorse - 69
MarkBarrett - 69
Woof - 69
ouachiouat - 49
gamawire - 21
MattKnowles - 20

Segments 1&2 - Combined
cinemaniax7 - 250
threearruda - 206
merica - 197
Woof - 175
mahatma - 174
MarkBarrett - 167
Ironhorse - 134
ouachiouat - 94
MattKnowles - 92
gamawire - 52
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Bumpity before sliding off the front page. Final round of questions coming on Monday.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Segment 4: Regionals and Final Four

[Host cities for Women's (Greenville, Seattle) and Men's (Kansas City, Las Vegas, Louisville, New York) Sweet 16 & Elite 8 games]
[Hosts for Women's (Dallas) and Men's (Houston) Semifinals + National Championship games]

NON-SPORTS (Name up to 10 each for questions 53-58 and up to 13 each for questions 59-60)

53. Greenville - Birthplace of actress Jaimie Alexander, who played Lady Sif in multiple Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies. Name other actresses who (according to Wikipedia/IMDb) have appeared in at least 3 MCU films.

54. Seattle - The city was host of the 1962 World's Fair. Name other US cities to host either World or Specialized Expositions and/or non-US countries to host World Expos since 1962.

55. Kansas City - During one of my trips to this area, I visited the Harry Truman Presidential Library in Independence. Name people who were elected vice president after Truman's 1948 win with Alben Barkley as his VP.

56. Las Vegas - The city is a two-time finishing site for the US (CBS) version of The Amazing Race - which finished its most recent season (#34) in Nashville. Name states (besides Nevada and Tennessee) in the contiguous 48 where TAR has finished.

57. Louisville - Name 3-letter words (per Scrabble word finder) that can be spelled with the letters in Kentucky. [Examples (Don't use): ecu, kue]

58. New York - Interstate 95 (the longest north-south route) passes through the city. Name other interstates of at least 1,000 miles in length. [Hint: 7 even-numbered, 5 odd-numbered]

59. Dallas - The prime time soap opera by this name topped the Nielsen ratings three times in the 1980s. Name other shows that have finished #1 for any season after Dallas' last season on top (1983-84). [Note: "Live" ratings only through 2020, "Live + 7 DVR" after.]

60. Houston - The home of Johnson Space Center. Name astronauts involved in NASA's first or last lunar landing missions and/or other moons (besides Earth's) that are among the 10 largest of our solar system.

SPORTS (Name up to 10 each for questions 61-66 and up to 13 each for questions 67-68)

61. Greenville - The Southern Conference is the host for this regional being held in the city where Furman University is located. Give team nicknames of NCAA Division I institutions based in South Carolina.

62. Seattle - Long-time home of the SuperSonics (who moved to Oklahoma City and are now the Thunder), the city is still without a NBA franchise. Give the current name of other teams that relocated since 1979 and whose city they left behind does not presently have a franchise in that league.

63. Kansas City - The metropolitan area is home to Sporting KC, which has reached the MLS Cup final three times and won the title twice. Name other Major League Soccer franchises with multiple finals appearances.

64. Las Vegas - This year, the city became the first in Nevada to host NCAA Men's Tournament games. Name the states that still have yet to host the Men's Tournament.

65. Louisville - The Kentucky Derby is held here each May. Name horses that have won the Triple Crown (Derby + Preakness + Belmont).

66. New York - Tournament tilts were held at Madison Square Garden, which is home to the NBA's Knicks and NHL's Rangers. The other NHL team with "New York" in its name (the Islanders) is the sole tenant of its arena. Name other US-based NHL franchises that do not share their arena with a NBA team.

67. Dallas - The Cowboys have an NFL-best +89 point differential in their 8 Super Bowl appearances. Name other teams that played in multiple Super Bowls and have 1) A positive point differential and/or 2) At least 89 total points scored in those games

68. Houston - The city's Cougars lost consecutive finals in the men's tournament in 1983 and 1984. Name other schools to lose more than one NCAA Men's championship game.

Non-sports Tiebreaker = How many of Iowa's counties have I visited?

Sports Tiebreaker = While I "only" attended 24 basketball games this season, going to all of the Iowa women's home games allowed me to see three players reach 4-figure scoring milestones - including both Caitlin Clark and Monika Czinano reaching 2,000 career points. The other was McKenna Warnock surpassing half of that mark. How many career points had Warnock scored entering this year's Final Four? [And yes, I had to slightly change the wording on this when the Hawkeyes qualified for the national semifinals.]
clt013

Re: March Madness Quiz (All Qs posted, entries accepted thru 4/3)

Post by clt013 »

Hump day bump - still a few days to submit answers.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump.

Also, I finally got around to updating the entrant list with all segments I have received.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Last day to enter - planning to start releasing answers tomorrow (Tuesday).
clt013

Re: March Madness Quiz (Answers revealed beginning 4/5)

Post by clt013 »

I had planned to post answers from the first segment today (4/4), but too much "regular" work got in the way. :)
Should have something ready Wednesday (4/5) morning.
clt013

Re: March Madness Quiz (Segment 1 answers revealed)

Post by clt013 »

Segment 1 Answers

NON-SPORTS

1. ACC - Name 6-letter words starting with "ACC" that are legal in Scrabble.

accent [10 responses]
accept [9]
accede [7]
access [7]
accord [7]
accrue [7]
accost [5]
accuse [4]

2. Big East - Name countries besides the US and Canada that are at least partially located in the Eastern time zone (or UTC-5).

Panama [8]
Colombia [7]
Cuba [7]
Bahamas [6]
Peru [6]
Ecuador [5]
Jamaica [5]
Brazil [4]
Haiti [3]
Mexico [2]

WRONG ANSWERS
Bermuda (UTC-4), Costa Rica (UTC-6), Dominican Republic (UTC-4), El Salvador (UTC-6), Honduras (UTC-6), Nicaragua (UTC-6), Venezuela (UTC-4)

3. Big Ten - Name any Bible books with titles that are 10 or more letters in length. [Note: Titles in numbered books (such as 1 & 2 Kings or 1, 2 & 3 John) are counted together.]

1 & 2 Corinthians [9]
1 & 2 Thessalonians [9]
Deuteronomy [9]
Ecclesiastes [8]
Revelation [7]
Colossians [5]
Lamentations [5]
Philippians [4]
Song of Solomon [4]
1 & 2 Chronicles [2]

4. Big 12 - Tom Hanks starred in the movie "Big" and later won two Best Actor Oscars. Name others with multiple Best Actor awards.

Dustin Hoffman [7]
Spencer Tracy [7]
Daniel Day-Lewis [6]
Anthony Hopkins [6]
Marlon Brando [5]
Jack Nicholson [5]
Gary Cooper [3]
Sean Penn [3]
Fredric March [1]

WRONG ANSWERS
Mahershala Ali (2 Best Supporting Actor Oscars), Clark Gable (1 Best Actor Oscar, 2 other nominations)

5. Pac-12 - Give the names of the ghost characters and the bonus "fruits" in the video game Ms. Pac-Man.

Inky [9]
Blinky [7]
Banana [6]
Pinky [6]
Cherry [5]
Orange [3]
Sue [3]
Apple [1]
Pretzel [1]
Strawberry [1]
Pear [0]

WRONG ANSWERS
Clyde (In Pac-Man, but called Sue in Ms. Pac-Man), Winky, Wonky, Peach

6. SEC - In addition to the Southeast Conference, those letters are the abbreviation for the Securites & Exchange Commission. Name companies included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average which start with the letters in "March".

McDonald's [3]
Merck [1]
Microsoft [3]
American Express [2]
Amgen [2]
Apple [6]
Caterpillar [1]
Chevron [3]
Cisco [4]
Coca-Cola [2]
Home Depot [3]
Honeywell [1]

WRONG ANSWERS
Alphabet, Amazon, HP, Meta

7. Atlantic 10 - Name properties that can be bought in the game of Monopoly between Atlantic Avenue and Go.

Boardwalk [10]
Park Place [10]
Ventnor Avenue [9]
Marvin Gardens [8]
Pennsylvania Avenue [8]
North Carolina Avenue [7]
Pacific Avenue [7]
Short Line [5]
Water Works [2]

WRONG ANSWERS
Illinois Avenue, Kentucky Avenue, St. James Place, Vermont Avenue

8. Missouri Valley - Name states (besides MO) touched by the Missouri River or by the Mississippi River before the two streams meet.

Iowa [8]
Montana [8]
Minnesota [7]
South Dakota [7]
Illinois [6]
Nebraska [6]
North Dakota [5]
Wisconsin [4]
Kansas [3]

WRONG ANSWERS
Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee (All on the Mississippi after it meets the Missouri); Idaho, Wyoming

Segment 1 Non-Sports Totals
cinemaniax - 53
ouachiouat - 45
Woof - 42
mahtama - 39
merica - 36
threearruda - 33
gamawire - 31
MarkBarrett - 31
Ironhorse - 23
MattKnowles - 21

SPORTS

9. ACC - Name schools that reached the Men's Final Four while a member of the conference.

Duke (17 times, 2022) [9]
North Carolina (20 times, last 2022; 1946 while in Southern Conference) [8]
North Carolina State (1974, 1983; 1950 while in Southern Conference) [8]
Virginia (1981, 1984, 2019) [7]
Syracuse (2016; 5 prior appearances while in Big East) [6]
Georgia Tech (1990, 2004) [5]
Maryland (2001, 2002) [5]
Wake Forest (1962) [5]

WRONG ANSWERS
Florida State (Independent when reached Final 4), Louisville (Final 4 appearances all before joining ACC), Notre Dame (no Final 4 while in ACC)

10. Big East - Name NCAA Division I schools that include the word "East". [Examples for other directions: Northern Iowa, West Virginia]

East Carolina [7]
Eastern Illinois [7]
Eastern Michigan [7]
Eastern Kentucky [5]
Northeastern [5]
Eastern Washington [4]
East Tennessee State [3]
Southeast Missouri State [3]
Maryland Eastern Shore [1]
Southeastern Louisiana [1]

WRONG ANSWER
East Texas

11. Big Ten - Name Super Bowl starting quarterbacks and/or MVPs (any position) who spent their final year of college in the conference. [Note: Players such as Vince Ferragamo, Boomer Esiason and Neil O'Donnell do not count as their college tenures came when now-Big 10 schools were in other conferences.]

Drew Brees (Purdue - SB XLI; MVP) [8]
Tom Brady (Michigan - SB XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLII, XLIV, XLIX, LI, LII, LIII, LV; MVP: XXXVI, XXXVIII, XLIX, LI, LV) [7]
Russell Wilson (Wisconsin - SB XLVIII, XLIX) [6]
Kerry Collins (Penn State - SB XXXV) [3]
Bob Griese (Purdue - SB VI, VII, VIII) [3]
Desmond Howard (Michigan - SB XXXI MVP) [3]
Len Dawson (Purdue - SB I, IV; MVP - IV) [2]
Santonio Holmes (Ohio State - SB XLIII MVP) [2]
Earl Morrall (Michigan State - SB III) [1]
Tony Eason (Illinois - SB XX) [0]

WRONG ANSWERS
Brian Griese (Michigan, but no Super Bowl starts), Franco Harris (SB MVP, but played at Penn State while they were independent), Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma, not Big Ten), Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech - not Big Ten)

12. Big 12 - Despite its name, the conference currently only has 10 teams. Between those numbers is 11 - the players each team fields in a soccer game. Name countries that have won the men's FIFA World Cup.

Argentina [10]
Germany [10]
Brazil [9]
France [9]
Italy [9]
Spain [8]
England [7]
Uruguay [7]

WRONG ANSWERS
Mexico (1970 quarterfinalist), Netherlands (1974, 1978, 2010 runners-up)

13. Pac-12 - Name MLB teams located in states of current conference members.

Arizona Diamondbacks [10]
Los Angeles Angels [10]
Los Angeles Dodgers [10]
Oakland Athletics [10]
San Diego Padres [10]
San Francisco Giants [10]
Seattle Mariners [10]
Colorado Rockies [9]

14. SEC - The southeastern US is home to many NASCAR races. Name tracks/locations which are not located in SEC states or those that border them and hosted 2022 Cup (top level) events.

New Hampshire [5]
Watkins Glen [4]
Las Vegas [3]
Michigan [3]
Auto Club Speedway (Fontana) [2]
Dover [2]
Pocono [2]
Sonoma [2]
Los Angeles Coliseum [1]
Phoenix [1]
Road America [1]

WRONG ANSWERS
Kansas (Borders SEC state Missouri); Martinsville, Richmond (Virginia borders SEC states Kentucky & Tennessee)

15. Atlantic 10 - Conference member Fordham is located in New York, which also hosts tennis' US Open. Name tennis players (male or female) with 10 or more major singles titles in the Open era. [Note: Billie Jean King (4 titles in Amateur Era, 8 in Open Era) does not count.]

Roger Federer (20) [10]
Rafael Nadal (22) [10]
Novak Djokovic (22) [9]
Pete Sampras (14) [9]
Serena Williams (23) [9]
Steffi Graf (22) [7]
Martina Navratilova (18) [7]
Chris Evert (18) [5]
Bjorn Borg (11) [1]
Margaret Court (11) [0]

WRONG ANSWERS
Roy Emerson (12 major singles titles in pre-Open Era), Andre Agassi (8 major singles titles), Martina Hingis (7), John McEnroe (7), Venus Williams (7), Boris Becker (6), Everton

16. Missouri Valley - The conference of my alma mater and the only one whose tournament I have attended. Name states that have had MVC basketball member schools at any time since 1990 (when I started college) or are home to a Division I institution containing the word "Valley".

Illinois (Bradley, Illinois Chicago, Illinois State, Loyola, Southern Illinois) [6]
Indiana (Evansville, Indiana State, Valparaiso) [6]
Kansas (Wichita State) [6]
Missouri (Missouri State) [5]
Nebraska (Creighton) [5]
Iowa (Drake, Northern Iowa) [4]
Mississippi (Mississippi Valley State) [4]
Kentucky (Murray State) [3]
Tennessee (Belmont) [3]
Utah (Utah Valley) [2]
Texas (Texas-Rio Grande Valley) [1]
Oklahoma (Tulsa) [0]
Also - Ohio (No team in MVC for basketball, but due to wording of question at the time accepted answer because Youngstown State is in MVC for football.)

WRONG ANSWERS
Drake, Evansville, Loyola-Chicago, Wichita State (School names, not states)

Segment 1 Sports Totals
threearruda - 54
merica - 51
ouachiouat - 49
mahtama - 48
cinemaniax - 45
Woof - 40
MarkBarrett - 32
Ironhorse - 29
gamawire - 21
MattKnowles - 17

Segment 1 Combined Totals