Monday, March 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, March 27, 2023 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

idearat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:54 pm
OrchidEntity wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:14 pm BARELY got the $400 Number "One" Movie in time, and yet it was my favorite movie as a kid. Ah well.
I didn't get it and felt silly. I got stuck by "tail" and immediately thought of An American Tail. Animated, but not Disney and no "one". That was enough to sidetrack me long enough.
You had company.

The best I could do was sulfur dioxide. Only smelly thing I could think of quickly.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:47 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:31 am Category: FIGURES OF SPEECH: Saying "That went well" after a disaster is an example of the verbal type of this:

I said sarcasm. I see irony as a much more nuanced term associated with fate, karma, schadenfreude, etc.. But I may be being sarcastic.
The clue specified "the verbal type"; sarcasm is verbal irony. I'd reject sarcasm because "verbal sarcasm" isn't a term.
Are you sure about that?
https://kids.frontiersin.org/articles/1 ... 2018.00056
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3222000720
https://www.mytutor.co.uk/answers/6576/ ... and-irony/
I'd say the difference is ambiguous enough that they should accept it. But I didn't count myself right last night...

Gethsemadee... A sloppy pronunciation everybody can oppose!
I quickly latched on to sulfur and stuck with it... I'm not sure Ammon would have ever come to me. But it's a good clue!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Didn't get George Jones.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Courtesy of Isaac Asimov's wonderful essay "You, Too Can Speak Gaelic" (read when I was 13) I can supply the full etymology. The name comes from the Latinate sal ammoniac, given to ammonium chloride crystals that purportedly* were first observed forming on the braziers of the Temple of Amun-Re in Karnak. Certainly, the alchemists of the Middle Ages referred to ammonium chloride as sal ammoniac, so the name given its free base was, naturally enough, ammonia.

* That origin story comes from Pliny the Younger, but later research suggests that those crystals may have been sodium chloride rather than ammonium chloride.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:56 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHEMICAL NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this pungent gaseous compound is ultimately derived from the top god of the ancient Egyptians
Very first impulse was radon, but only as a flash since not only is not a compound, one of the problems with radon is that it's as non-pungent as it is possible to be. It's in many local building codes that radon testing in basements is needed, as it's odorless and and naturally occurring in our soils but long-term exposure can cause lung cancer. Similar impulse with methane, but as quickly rejected also for the odorless characteristic - they have to add a chemical so you can smell a gas leak. Ammonia finally came after another few seconds of thought. Would have probably finished writing it down with several seconds to spare.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:31 am Category: FIGURES OF SPEECH: Saying "That went well" after a disaster is an example of the verbal type of this:

I said sarcasm. I see irony as a much more nuanced term associated with fate, karma, schadenfreude, etc.. But I may be being sarcastic.
The clue specified "the verbal type"; sarcasm is verbal irony. I'd reject sarcasm because "verbal sarcasm" isn't a term.
Are you sure about that?
I'd say the difference is ambiguous enough that they should accept it. But I didn't count myself right last night...
I used the word "term" and not "phrase that you couldn't find three Google results for" for a reason.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:16 pm
davey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am

Are you sure about that?
I used the word "term" and not "phrase that you couldn't find three Google results for" for a reason.
I'm no semanticist, but I really think the clue is much more akin to verbal sarcasm than verbal irony.
It's ironic that Covid deniers /anti-vaxxers died at 6x the vaccinated rate. It would be sarcastic for me to tell them I agree with their "right to die".
I can think of non-verbal irony in lots of situations/events, but couldn't think of a non-verbal sarcastic example offhand. JohnBoy's link shows a smart-ass clapping at a spilled food tray - non-verbal sarcasm does exist, but still requires an antagonist. Irony can exist independent of an antagonist, and often in spite of protagonists.
I'm missing Sg's point about "term", sorry about that. It may be the filter that rejects an alternate answer.
I consider irony as an intellectual form of sarcasm. Sarcasm is a smart ass form which is just insult comedy at best.
horse dead. dead horse. :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:49 pm
I'm no semanticist, but I really think the clue is much more akin to verbal sarcasm than verbal irony.
It's ironic that Covid deniers /anti-vaxxers died at 6x the vaccinated rate. It would be sarcastic for me to tell them I agree with their "right to die".
I can think of non-verbal irony in lots of situations/events, but couldn't think of a non-verbal sarcastic example offhand. JohnBoy's link shows a smart-ass clapping at a spilled food tray - non-verbal sarcasm does exist, but still requires an antagonist. Irony can exist independent of an antagonist, and often in spite of protagonists.
I'm missing Sg's point about "term", sorry about that. It may be the filter that rejects an alternate answer.
I consider irony as an intellectual form of sarcasm. Sarcasm is a smart ass form which is just insult comedy at best.
Hey, twelvefootboy!
A small point.
This is the 2d time you've referred to one of my posts and called me JohnBoy, another poster...
viewtopic.php?p=383153&hilit=JohnBoy#p383153
I don't know how this happens, I doubt irony or sarcasm is intended, but whatever, it's creeping me out!
I'm thrilled that some are so sure about this (that's written sarcasm, btw), but I actually looked at the Google results (thanks for doing so too), so I'm not...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:33 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:49 pm
Hey, twelvefootboy!
A small point.
This is the 2d time you've referred to one of my posts and called me JohnBoy, another poster...
viewtopic.php?p=383153&hilit=JohnBoy#p383153
I don't know how this happens, I doubt irony or sarcasm is intended, but whatever, it's creeping me out!
I'm thrilled that some are so sure about this (that's written sarcasm, btw), but I actually looked at the Google results (thanks for doing so too), so I'm not...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I'd like to plead senility your honor.
I don't know where the confusion is from. You consistently add information to the board and I appreciate it highly. I'm terrible at reading the message headers in compose message mode and I'm afraid to use back buttons to read back up the thread and have to start over. I have picked up a little hack so it's safer: I duplicate the tab in mid-edit and can browse the game thread or open the archive to check on question phrasing from the dupe.
Mea Culpa, and thanks for making us smarter. :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:53 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I'd like to plead senility your honor.
I don't know where the confusion is from. You consistently add information to the board and I appreciate it highly. I'm terrible at reading the message headers in compose message mode and I'm afraid to use back buttons to read back up the thread and have to start over. I have picked up a little hack so it's safer: I duplicate the tab in mid-edit and can browse the game thread or open the archive to check on question phrasing from the dupe.
Mea Culpa, and thanks for making us smarter. :).
Thanks for the kind words! Sometimes, like after Monday's and Tuesday's FJs, I just wish I could make myself smarter!
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

To be fair, would "verbal sarcasm" have to be a term in use for sarcasm to be correct here? Sarcasm expressed in words is, essentially, verbal irony (as opposed to the other kinds of irony, like dramatic, cosmic, Socratic, Alanic, etc.). So the phrase in the clue is an example of both. I would think that as long as there non-verbal types of sarcasm (and a Google image search for "sarcastic expression" suggests there are), then you would have to acknowledge that there is a "verbal" type of sarcasm, which the phrase in the clue exemplifies. "Irony" is the better answer, and Pavlovian for any English major when given "verbal," but I can't see not accepting sarcasm.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jamie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:41 am

To be fair, would "verbal sarcasm" have to be a term in use for sarcasm to be correct here? Sarcasm expressed in words is, essentially, verbal irony (as opposed to the other kinds of irony, like dramatic, cosmic, Socratic, Alanic, etc.). So the phrase in the clue is an example of both. I would think that as long as there non-verbal types of sarcasm (and a Google image search for "sarcastic expression" suggests there are), then you would have to acknowledge that there is a "verbal" type of sarcasm, which the phrase in the clue exemplifies. "Irony" is the better answer, and Pavlovian for any English major when given "verbal," but I can't see not accepting sarcasm.
Watch last night's show and you can see not accepting sarcasm!